Menu

Please list your dc's chores for which you pay!

My dd 13 is wanting an allowance. We don't do allowance, but will pay her for certain jobs.

My dh and I believe that every child has age appropriate daily "expectations", such as: making bed, feeding pets, and light household chores, like: emptying dishwasher, folding clothes, etc. Then there are weekly chores, such as: grooming pets, cleaning cat litter box. She does not get paid for these daily/weekly "expectations" to run a household.

We are ready to pay her for "jobs". Give me some idesas. So far dd and I have:

Wash cars

Pick up sticks in yard

Rake leaves

At what point do you define chore as a paid job? For example, cleaning the bathtub or toilets domestic skills and necessary for running a home for the family. These may be more labor intensive than running sweeper or dusting.

Share your ideas on the definition you use and PLEASE ADD TO MY LIST! :D

I used to pay my boys for folding all the laundry, picking up the yard before mowing, taking down the recycling. But, I got tired of haggling with them about getting paid for jobs. If they didn't want to do it then they didn't get paid, but sometimes I NEEDED them to do it. If they said no then I was stuck. If they can't say no, then it isn't really getting paid per job.

Now, they earn 5$ a week and they do whatever I tell them to do :lol: It works much better for us.

I don't pay the kids for anything. However, my dh has been known to pay the kids for the following services:

Car detailing

Boat detailing

Finding (his) lost items (keys, remote, phone)

Repairing/sewing buttons on his clothing (In the beginning he thought that was my job, but then he started running out of clothing :D)

I don't pay him for any chores, regardless of what type. Chores and upkeep of a house is part of living in a family unit, IMO. I don't get paid for the chores I do either, and he won't get paid to do his chores when he moves out.

We used to pay him for chores, but I found (at least with my son) that the incentive of payment did not encourage him to do it. He was just as likely to procrastinate or gripe about it.

We also do not give an allowance. At this point, we give him a certain amount to buy something to eat at youth group each week, and he is free to keep whatever he has leftover and can spend that on anything he wants. This way, I think he is learning to spend him money wisely and to save up for something he wants. When he gets old enough, he will be expected to get a job to pay for the extras that he wants.

Edited by somo_chickenlady

We have a similar philosophy. Help cleaning in the every day course of things is unpaid always. However, we'll pay for special jobs. I'll pay them for doing special yardwork for me. Dh once paid them to untangle a crazy knotted extension cord he didn't want to deal with.

However, none of the paid jobs at our house are regular. You can't predict just when they'll arise. It's like working odd jobs. Such is life.

We do give a small allowance and the kids earn interest on the money they save with the bank of Farrar. But that's separate - it's not tied to chores at all.

as the others have mentioned the following are items my kids do as part of the household:

laundry (from start to finish)

load and unload dishwasher

dust

scooping kitty litter

taking out the garbage

cleaning the tables

we do pay for:

washing & drying the dog

cleaning bathrooms

cleaning out the cars

mowing the lawn

vacuuming (per floor - we have a 2 story house)

mopping

I don't pay them for working to maintain their own rooms or bathrooms, or the common areas of the house that we all use. Or for helping me prepare food, take out trash, pull weeds in the garden, or do anything that they as part of the family benefit from.

I do, however, pay them to do things that I don't require of them and that should not be their responsibility, like cleaning my bedroom or bathroom, which only dh and I use.

We pay for training on new chores. So, when ds was learning to clean the bathtub, I paid him the first couple of times.

We pay for jobs such as extra yard work, folding my towels (they wash their own laundry), washing the car, and some chores when they've already done some but I need more done that day.

We have daily expectations (part of living in the house) but we also have extra that dd is assigned that she earns money for. We do feel it is important for her to see that work/effort=$$$ and no work/effort=no $.

The things she earns money for -- helping with our weekly clean (this is a multi-hour job), cleaning out the pet cage, change sheets/wash windows & mirrors/vacuum, take out trash & recycling, clean up the dog poo, and mopping the floors.

She also is expected on a daily basis to help with morning/evening routines, pick up, dishes, take care of the dog & give him his meds, help with laundry, help with baby, help get dinner prepared, etc.

I used to pay my boys for folding all the laundry, picking up the yard before mowing, taking down the recycling. But, I got tired of haggling with them about getting paid for jobs. If they didn't want to do it then they didn't get paid, but sometimes I NEEDED them to do it. If they said no then I was stuck. If they can't say no, then it isn't really getting paid per job.

Now, they earn 5$ a week and they do whatever I tell them to do :lol: It works much better for us.

My son receives $1 for every year of age as his weekly allowance. (I would only do $5 but his grandpa is providing this). In return he must do whatever is necessary and whatever I request of him each week. Some weeks it is just typical family household type stuff but other weeks it may include heavy outdoor work during all of his free time.

Another friend of mine pays hourly. The kids can't be slackers. It starts at $1 an hour and includes everything from taking out the trash to making the bed to helping weed the garden. They also can't make a 10 second job last an hour, IYKWIM. As the child gets older and takes on more responsibility, the pay per hour increases. However, at certain ages, the pay becomes other things as well - like permission to use the family car, or more computer time, or whatever the child wants to negotiate.

Thanks to everyone. Just selected a few here:

I pay for mowing the lawn and for ironing (which I hate and despise).

I do not pay for any smaller household chores- they are part of being a family member.

DH and I also pay the kids for anything related to our jobs: scanning papers, working as tutors for my class, building computers from parts.

That's good. Anything related to jobs. I could see my dd helping my dh.

We have a similar philosophy. Help cleaning in the every day course of things is unpaid always. However, we'll pay for special jobs. I'll pay them for doing special yardwork for me. Dh once paid them to untangle a crazy knotted extension cord he didn't want to deal with.

However, none of the paid jobs at our house are regular. You can't predict just when they'll arise. It's like working odd jobs. Such is life.

We do give a small allowance and the kids earn interest on the money they save with the bank of Farrar. But that's separate - it's not tied to chores at all.

That's where I'm coming from. She fulfills her daily/weekly requirements/unpaid chores, but I do feel she can learn from getting a very small amount for "special" jobs.

as the others have mentioned the following are items my kids do as part of the household:

laundry (from start to finish)

load and unload dishwasher

dust

scooping kitty litter

taking out the garbage

cleaning the tables

we do pay for:

washing & drying the dog

cleaning bathrooms

cleaning out the cars

mowing the lawn

vacuuming (per floor - we have a 2 story house)

mopping

Good list. Thanks.

We have daily expectations (part of living in the house) but we also have extra that dd is assigned that she earns money for. We do feel it is important for her to see that work/effort=$$$ and no work/effort=no $.

The things she earns money for -- helping with our weekly clean (this is a multi-hour job), cleaning out the pet cage, change sheets/wash windows & mirrors/vacuum, take out trash & recycling, clean up the dog poo, and mopping the floors.

She also is expected on a daily basis to help with morning/evening routines, pick up, dishes, take care of the dog & give him his meds, help with laundry, help with baby, help get dinner prepared, etc.

Cleaning windows.....excellent idea.

My dh and I believe that every child has age appropriate daily "expectations", such as: making bed, feeding pets, and light household chores, like: emptying dishwasher, folding clothes, etc. Then there are weekly chores, such as: grooming pets, cleaning cat litter box. She does not get paid for these daily/weekly "expectations" to run a household.

We are ready to pay her for "jobs". Give me some idesas. So far dd and I have:

Wash cars

Pick up sticks in yard

Rake leaves

At what point do you define chore as a paid job? For example, cleaning the bathtub or toilets domestic skills and necessary for running a home for the family. These may be more labor intensive than running sweeper or dusting.

Share your ideas on the definition you use and PLEASE ADD TO MY LIST! :D

We pay for jobs my dh & I would have to do ourselves. So, NO pay jobs are:

dinner dishes

bedroom cleaning, vacuuming, dusting

bathroom cleaning (theirs)

main living area vacuum/dust

mowing the lawn

What I'll pay for:

breakfast/lunch dishes

MY bedroom/bathroom cleaning

Yard work outside of mowing

Washing cars

Garage clean-out

I'll be watching for more ideas - my dd had a part-time job last year but now that she's in high school she has no time for it. And the poor girl is used to that money rolling in ... :D

Mine get $10 a week each. They help out here and there. We don't have actual chores. They each have things they are better at helping.

WE pay them extra sometimes for certain things. More like incentive to take the time to complete something.

I think DH gave them each $20 for shredding a massive pile of documents. And by massive I mean bags and bags. Things like that.

Leaf raking, bagging and dragging to the street.

Major pool maintenance.

Watering (low payment but it is a boring and repetitive job since we don't have sprinklers yet).

odd household cleaning tasks that cleaning people don't do- dusting plantation blinds was one of those.

Good ideas.....thanks!

Leaf raking, bagging and dragging to the street.

Major pool maintenance.

Watering (low payment but it is a boring and repetitive job since we don't have sprinklers yet).

odd household cleaning tasks that cleaning people don't do- dusting plantation blinds was one of those.

Ooo, I like the blind-dusting idea. I tried to pay for plant watering, but the money I spent replacing dead flowers wasn't worth it. :tongue_smilie: