Menu

Need advice for friend's who's 11 days overdue (due 9/1). Any suggestions?

She told me she was going to try a breast pump tonight and castor oil.

(and something about a foley catheter tomorrow?!?!?!!!...I didn't get this so I didn't ask). I know she's still trying for a home birth. This is her first pregnancy. She's age 38 and healthy.

Any thoughts? advice?

Please tell your friend not to do the caster oil. There is too much risk involved with meconium and the baby ingesting it. I am a midwife and usually try the breast pump to get labor going. What I recommend to clients is five minutes on each side then a five minute break. Then repeat. It usually takes an hour to get things going. I have had clients do this for two. Also what about sticking evening primrose oil in the cervix to soften it. Martial relations sometimes works. Has she started to dialate? If she is up to five centimeters her midwife might want to break water. I am usually in favor of just sticking it out. Here are a few ideas. Obviously I don't recommend doing all of this at once. And Please consider that this is just ideas from someone who has not seen your friend. So please take this advice for what it is worth. ;)

castor oil is a very, very bad idea... she will feel so sick (and in pain), labor on top of that is just not pretty (my SIL did that with #3 and said "never again" to the castor oil scenario...she's had 10 more babies though).

I have no sure-fire way of going into labor. I've done pelvic tilts, walked, lots of activity, stimulation (various types), and membrane stripping....heck, I even fell down a flight of stairs with #5 and STILL didn't go into labor :tongue_smilie:

Membrane stripping has been the most effective for me (worked 3/4 of the time)...with my first, I slept all day (after being really, really active for nearly a week), and with #5, I "gave up" trying anything for a few days, and again slept/rested...I only realized I was in labor when I woke up around midnight having to go to the bathroom and at about 10 steps, had to yell for my husband to call the midwife to come *NOW.* So...I'll leave it at don't do the Castor Oil...

I definitely recommend the Evening Primrose Oil inserted internally at night. She can read threads about EPO on the mothering dot com forums. If her body is otherwise ready, it simply softens the cervix and allows it to dilate, sometimes resulting in labor.

I only used castor oil once, and I would do it again. It worked great for me. It was not a gentle start like with EPO, but I was able to avoid pitocin, so I did not mind the side effects (vomiting, etc.).

My recent midwife recommended using only a little at a time instead of a 2-4 oz. dose. She recommended a tablespoon in a smoothie, and frying an egg in the castor oil.

However, I would definitely try the EPO for a few nights before taking a 2-4 oz. dose of castor oil.

Edited by besroma

Please tell your friend not to do the caster oil. There is too much risk involved with meconium and the baby ingesting it.

Is this new protocol? I had my first in 2000, and I tried the castor oil milkshake with him, with the blessing of my perinatologist at a reputable hospital. (He didn't suggest it, I asked, but he didn't think it would hurt.) It did help me pop my mucus plug, but mostly I just spent the night feeling ill. :) I had to be induced anyhow because I did it the night before I had to report for induction. I'm wondering if I had been able to wait longer if I would have gone into labor on my own, since I definitely lost my mucus plug. Anyhow, it matters not at this point, I'm just curious if castor oil is now discouraged in the medical community at large.

Is this new protocol? I had my first in 2000, and I tried the castor oil milkshake with him, with the blessing of my perinatologist at a reputable hospital. (He didn't suggest it, I asked, but he didn't think it would hurt.) It did help me pop my mucus plug, but mostly I just spent the night feeling ill. :) I had to be induced anyhow because I did it the night before I had to report for induction. I'm wondering if I had been able to wait longer if I would have gone into labor on my own, since I definitely lost my mucus plug. Anyhow, it matters not at this point, I'm just curious if castor oil is now discouraged in the medical community at large.

I was actually prescribed the castor oil in the hospital when my labor stopped completely. The midwife wrote the script. This was at a well-respected hospital, so I was curious about this also.

Not sure if it is new protocol or what. My natural doctor told me not to do it. The reason it works to induce labor is it causes a massive cleanse in the body and all the toxins to rush out. The (sorry I am tired and can't think of the word I am looking for) causes the labor to start. It can be a over load for the mom. I have had more than one midwife friend of mine tell me that one of their clients used it and the baby died. Both of them said the baby was late. Not more than two weeks. There was a lot of meconium in the water and when they suctioned the baby a lot came out. I know often times everything is fine but because of hearing these stories. I just became leary and do not recommend it.

ETA The castor oil causes the meconium.

Edited by puddles

Ds was 14 days overdue. The CNM tried giving me Pitocin 7 days after the due date and nothing. I walked up stairs and did lots of walking to induce labor. On day 14, they used Pitocin again... 4 hours later, ds was born. It was a great experience. The only thing that I was bummed was the fact I could not do a water birth in the jacuzzi as they had a heart rate monitor on me and the baby for safety. Which I appreciated as ds was in some distress.

I recall the CNM saying ds was "overbaked" (w/ meconium) as she handed him to me. I was worried, but his Apgar scores were good and the nurses checked him out all of the time while we were in the hospital/birthing suite. Now ds is 17 years old with no lung/allergy issues. HTH

Edited by tex-mex

Honestly, tell her to just relax and wait. Labor is started by hormones released by the baby, not by the mother. She is still in the realm of normal. My daughter was born 12 days late, and only after I gave up on all the home remedies to start labor. If she was 14 days late, then I'd say ok, try some stuff. But she still has a few days left. Chances are high baby will come.

I've been to two funerals of babies who died of meconium aspiration because the moms used castor oil and didn't let the doctor/midwife know. Please, please, please if she wants to try this route, make sure that she lets her midwife know and get her to give the go ahead BEFORE she takes it. Some medical professionals are trained to handle the effects, but there are factors they need to consider.

Wait............

I've had friends try all sorts of things, and apart from membrane stripping, s&x and nip stim, nothing helps much, and those only "help" a little.

Not even trampoline jumping.

(Personally, I would schedule a lovely epidural assisted induction for 2.5 weeks overdue, but that's personal preference :-D)

My daughter finally decided to come out a few hours before her induction was scheduled. (She was over 2 weeks past due date) :D

Edited by lcelmer

With my 3rd who just turned a year in August I was encouraged to try castor oil by not only my midwives but also a group of the top perinatologist in our state. I was facing a 39 week induction. They assured me that castor oil did not cause the meconium passing but that it was the fact meconium was considerably more likely in post dates babies and most women who tried castor oil were considerably post dates. They were very clear that while they correlated with one another they did not cause one another. That said I did castor oil 2 x, once at 38 weeks and once at 38.5. It was recommended I do a dose of about a tsp then do another dose 2 hours later but neither time I felt like I could do the second dose. I kind of feel like if I had I could have established a permanent labor pattern.

In addition to the castor oil I did acupuncture, chiropractic care, acupressure massage and nipple stimulation. I still ended up induced with pitocin at 39 weeks.

Castor oil can cause dehydration, which is not a good way to start labor.

Terrible way to start. My sister was 14 days over with her first and desperate. So she tried castor oil, was violently ill all night. Ended up going into labor and laboring for 12 hours at home after no sleep, then 12 more at the hospital with no food, just ice chips. Poor girl had no strength left and ended up with a c-section after 40 nightmarish hours. Not saying the castor oil caused the c-section, but it definitely got things off to a terrible start.

For me, castor oil did nothing but keep me up all night, too, the day before I was induced.