Menu

venting- dd's hen just died-bad Summer

Hen

My DD17 has this wonderful hen named Dapples. She was an americauna (lays blue-green eggs) and so very clever. Out of all the hens we've had, she had the most personality. She would follow my DD around, liked it when my DD would come outside and keep company with her, would sit on her arm like a parrot. My DD could turn her onto her back.

Wed. she was limping, took her to the vet, they didn't think it was broken and gave us some pain meds. She wasn't any better today, but eating and drinking. She died this afternoon. Dh and I were debating next steps with her, I hate that- having to worry about the money involved in treating a pet.

:(

My mother dies of cirrhosis of the liver in July, it was horrid and dealing with my step-family has been horrid. I am a DONM too, so all that baggage.

DD17's boy-friend's mother had some kind of event and heart attack while snorkeling two weeks ago and died. My DD was there. I was there when they took her off the machines.

this has been a horrid Summer.

Just need to vent. and a drink. but I don't drink, and in light of my mother it would be laughable in a gross way. Maybe I need chocolate cheesecake.

the hard part with the hen-she had so much personality that I felt she deserved better, I hate that we had left the house when she died, I wish someone had been with her.

:crying:

Thank You everyone for the kind words.

feeling better, dh took us to Barnes & Nobles and treated me to a salted caramel choc mocha. :)

OC Mom, sounds divine, I've always wanted to try kaluha...a bit would be fine, I'm sure. You are so sweet. :) we should meet for lunch soon...

I'm sorry for all your sadneas. :(

I don't know why it is but the hens to die are always the sweetest ones. Always, in every single batch I've gotten.

I still miss my Oprah. She was a black chicken who followed me around everywhere. She was my gardening buddy. Her best friend, besides me, was my potbelly pig. She would sit on the deck and watch me swim. When she was at the barn but saw me come outside, she would run to be by my side. She came to the house every day for cooked eggs, cheese or canned catfood. Those were all her favorites.:lol:

Thank you, Denise. Your Oprah and pig sound very sweet. Dapples loved sunflower seeds and would sell her soul for cottage cheese - a rare treat.

We once had 6 hens, now we are down to one, and of course she is the mean, nasty hen. :glare:

She hasn't been out foraging and being busy, but laying in a shady spot near our door...I'm wondering if she is going to die of grief.

I loved having hens, and I love being Hen Jen, but I don't think we will get any more, they are just so fragile and break my heart.

thanks for the hugs and kind words, today was the memorial for my friend- it's been a sad-ish day.