Menu

Well, I guess DD is getting her snake (pic enclosed)

I posted her proposal on our local homeschooling board, and one of the moms messaged me that her teen daughter has a corn snake who she's trying to rehome, who really does sound like a good pet for DD-the snake has been regularly handled for the last several years (the girl got the snake when she was 10), eats frozen/thawed mice, and, at 5 years, is well past the fragile, baby stage. She's even pink :).

DH is traveling for work right now (and I'm not going to have him walk in the door and have DD sticking a snake in his face!), but I imagine when he gets back, we'll likely go pick up Bonita and bring her to her new home (This isn't the exact snake, but this is what she looks like-I found a more zoomed in pic online).

amel4.jpg

I'd have preferred it if she'd wanted a kitten (we have two elderly cat, and we've had two cross the rainbow bridge in the last couple of years, so I'm about ready for a new baby or two in the house!), but she's been set on snakes for awhile. And, in fact, looking at pictures, there isn't a single picture of her with a traditional teddy bear or other fuzzy, mammalian-looking stuffed animal since she was old enough to express a preference. For the most part, it's been dragons, dinosaurs, snakes, and lizards since she was about 7-8 months old, with a small divergence for Unicorns. She built a lego Herpetarium for our local fair contest :).

I admit I'd hoped to hold her off a few more years-like, say, after her 18th birthday :).

My older DS loves and wants all sorts of animals, so I've had to make certain he understands it just can't happen. Three cats and a frog is enough right now! Though there was a complete terrarium setup with a colony of poison dart frogs up for adoption that nearly tempted me lately...

As far as pet snakes go, corn snakes are pretty harmless, and they stay small enough that you'll never have to worrry about explaining to the neighbors why their cat suddenly turned up missing... :D

My older DS loves and wants all sorts of animals, so I've had to make certain he understands it just can't happen. Three cats and a frog is enough right now! Though there was a complete terrarium setup with a colony of poison dart frogs up for adoption that nearly tempted me lately...

As far as pet snakes go, corn snakes are pretty harmless, and they stay small enough that you'll never have to worrry about explaining to the neighbors why their cat suddenly turned up missing... :D

There's a teenager trying to rehome a pair of fire bellied toads. I'm not showing DD that ad :). We already have a terrarium of Leopard frogs from our last tadpole project, cats, and now probably a snake. Plus the crickets for the frogs to eat (between the crickets and the frogs, it sounds like a rainforest in our house at night. I will say it's a soothing sound-but I'm glad snakes are quiet!)

The likely snake is only about 2 feet long now, so she's small for her age by corn snake standards. Which is fine, because DD is small for her age by human standards :)

I am NOT a fan of snakes...but I 'inherited' a corn snake as a classroom pet when I got my first teaching job. I was terrified to handle it at first, but it was actually a really nice little animal - very friendly, and didn't mind being held and 'petted' by 25+ kids - (and one slightly freaked out teacher.)

I had a half-albino corn snake for a while in my early young adult years (had a friend trying to breed a true albino and giving away the babies he didn't need). They make really nice pets. Easy to take care of. Non-demanding.

But they don't snuggle up next to you either.

BTW My snake looked like the one in your photo. I named him Rusty Q Pretzel.