Menu

Do You Keep Track....

Makita

I have a sheet in my teacher's notebook that I keep track of all of them. I also keep track of the ones they have read on their own. It helps me later on when I'm choosing books to read for a certain subject (ie: history) to choose books they haven't read before. It also helps me to remember to have them read certain books, classics, that can fall through the cracks when I'm trying to teach 3 dc!

I don't anymore, but when my children were younger we had a "book worm" on our wall made out of colorful circles. Each time we read a book we wrote the name on a circle and added it to the worm. It was fun to watch it grow and encouraged me to keep reading.

I think we eventually painted the room so I trashed it.

No.

But then, keeping records for "fun", doesn't sound like fun to me. And while my youngers might miss something that I read the first time around or they might have a book scheduled that they already read, I don't think either of these will happen enough that thier education will suffer.

No.

But then, keeping records for "fun", doesn't sound like fun to me. And while my youngers might miss something that I read the first time around or they might have a book scheduled that they already read, I don't think either of these will happen enough that thier education will suffer.

:iagree:

I do. I have a blog where I list all the books we have all read this year. No one reads it but us (I suppose they could if they wanted to, but I don't know why anyone would want to). I keep track of what I've read, the kids have read and the read alouds. When the kids are done with a book, they set it on my computer table so I can update the list. It is a long list, but I like looking back and seeing what we have read.

I keep track of all the books my son reads, both for school and for fun, and of everything we read aloud. I just keep a running list in the same Word file in which I note our field trips and any educational DVDs and outside classes and so on. At the end of each year, I print it out and put it in his portfolio.

(I did the same thing for my daughter when she was still homeschooling.)

It's not "required," by any stretch of the imagination. We read so much that it's over-kill, probably. But, as I've said before, I don't scrapbook, which means these annual portfolios are going to be the primary records of my kids' childhoods. And we've already found it's fun to be able to go back and look at what we read in a given year or to remember how old one child or the other was when he/she read a certain book.

So, it's more for family memories than for any official reason.

Something else we've been playing with around here is www.goodreads.com. My daughter got us started on it, and now three out of the four of us have accounts. It's a free website that allows you to log everything you're reading, have read or are planning to read and to rate each book and even write a review, if you wish. You can designate "friends" and get e-mails each time they update their lists and see what they thought of a book. My daughter and I started doing it as a way to keep in touch while she's away at school, but I've found my son enjoys participating, too. And I've found it sort of interesting to see how much I read in a given month and similar things.

... of ALL the books you read aloud to your children?

I have seen some blog posts whereby one lists the books they've read. I'm just curious if this is common place.

I do, but I slip a lot and forget to write them down. I always start out each new school year with good intentions. I get more than half recorded at least. I've been doing this for about 4-5 years. I keep the list in Word.

Yes. About a year or so ago I thought it would be fun to keep track of our read-aloud books. Now I need to get a list going of what ds is reading himself.

When I started the list, it gave me extra practice with the Getty-Dubay cursive that I was learning.

I don't anymore, but when my children were younger we had a "book worm" on our wall made out of colorful circles. Each time we read a book we wrote the name on a circle and added it to the worm. It was fun to watch it grow and encouraged me to keep reading.

I think we eventually painted the room so I trashed it.

This is a cute idea for youngers! We do paper chains for any kind of countdown (days to vacation, Christmas, etc) and this would be a popular idea with my kiddos too.

BTW - I do keep track too. I am one of those for whom record keeping is enjoyable. :laugh:

My kids are still younger so yes I do, but most likely I always will. When in FL I needed to as part of our portfolio, so it's now a habit. I actually bought some of these posters to help my reluctant reader son motivated. I'll keep one of his books on the wall and then one for the books we read. I also keep a log in my daily log where I'll write what we do each day. I'm not required to by VA law but you never know where the Navy may send us next and I'm weird that way and like to keep track of things. I also keep a record of things for the current year in Library Thing which I have posted to the sidebar on my blog.

I keep track during the summer, since we participate in a number of summer reading programs. It is getting harder as my oldest has started reading on her own now, and goes up to her room and reads to herself. I do it on excel and try to get her to tell me her favorite part (need to know for Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Log).

Jenny