American Academy of Pediatrics changes position on Circumcision

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.businessinsider.com/germany-circumcision-illegal-cologne-2012-6

This article doen't outline the full, up-to-date story, but there's a movement in Germany to have circumcision declared a human rights violation. Of course, religious folks - both Jewish and Muslim - are quite upset about this.

Exactly. This is a statement to keep it *legal*. This is a contentious issue right now in some countries. It is also intended to keep it *insurable*. But, it is not required or recommended for all. This is allowing parents to make decisions for themselves, rather than it becoming illegal or requiring parents to pay out of pocket.

The AAP says that "the benefits outweigh the risks.

They do not yet recommend it as a routine procedure for all.

Because the health benefits are still not great enough to recommend it for all.

But this is a huge step forward in making access possible for Americans.

:confused: Where do Americans not have access to circumcision?

Exactly. This is a statement to keep it *legal*. This is a contentious issue right now in some countries. It is also intended to keep it *insurable*. But, it is not required or recommended for all. This is allowing parents to make decisions for themselves, rather than it becoming illegal or requiring parents to pay out of pocket.

Because the health benefits are still not great enough to recommend it for all.

:confused: Where do Americans not have access to circumcision?

I haven't had reason to look into it in about 3 yrs but when I was pregnant I checked with my ins because I knew medicaid had stopped covering them. I am sure that is what it is about.

I heard this story on NPR this morning. They mentioned that some insurance companies have stopped paying for it. Medicaid no longer pays for it. And that there has been a push towards discouraging people to do it.

I was totally surprised by that. My insurance still pays for it. But apparently there are more and more not paying for it.

Now obviously one could opt to pay for it themselves, but anything done in the hospital costs a million dollars so I imagine it puts it out of reach for a lot of people.

Technically, medically, it is considered elective cosmetic surgery. Only in cases where it is being performed due to some other medical condition is it not cosmetic.

Some people are entirely against circumcision (except in cases of medical necessity). They would consider it to be abuse or an attack against a child.

Some of the above people will recognise the difference in how a traditional bris is performed vs a medical circ.

Other people agree that it's a choice, but do not agree with the choice. Their biggest issue is what is called Routine Infant Circ, where it is the norm and pushed.

Edited by mommaduck

It already is. I think your issue may be more with the folks in California that want it banned.

The issue is that many families faced the prospect of insurance companies or government programs (wrongheadedly) disallowing reimbursements for circumcision as a procedure that lacks medical benefits

The change in AAPs position will be tremendously helpful to families that agree with the AAP and decide that the benefits outweigh the risks and decide that it is the best option for their families.

In addition to the potential to saving lives, access to circumcision can save the nation a great deal of money. Last week a major study by Johns Hopkins concluded that declining circumcision rates will be very costly due to the medical problems that would be eliminated were circumcisions more prevalent.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-08-20/health/bs-hs-circumcision-economics-study-20120820_1_male-circumcision-circumcision-research-center-medical-costs

Bill

I heard this story on NPR this morning. They mentioned that some insurance companies have stopped paying for it. Medicaid no longer pays for it. And that there has been a push towards discouraging people to do it.

I was totally surprised by that. My insurance still pays for it. But apparently there are more and more not paying for it.

Now obviously one could opt to pay for it themselves, but anything done in the hospital costs a million dollars so I imagine it puts it out of reach for a lot of people.

I haven't had reason to look into it in about 3 yrs but when I was pregnant I checked with my ins because I knew medicaid had stopped covering them. I am sure that is what it is about.

Ahhh, I see. Yes, I agree that this is intended to make it insured.

Technically, medically, it is considered elective cosmetic surgery. Only in cases where it is being performed due to some other medical condition is it not cosmetic.

My son was born in Germany. You basically needed a religious or medical reason. The doctor offered to give me a medical reason because we were American and it is more common in the US than in Germany.

The issue is that many families faced the prospect of insurance companies or government programs (wrongheadedly) disallowing reimbursements for circumcision as a procedure that lacks medical benefits

The change in AAPs position will be tremendously helpful to families that agree with the AAP and decide that the benefits outweigh the risks and decide that it is the best option for their families.

And I am fine with is being insured and allowing families and their doctors to choose.

In addition to the potential to saving lives, access to circumcision can save the nation a great deal of money. Last week a major study by Johns Hopkins concluded that declining circumcision rates will be very costly due to the medical problems that would be eliminated were circumcisions more prevalent.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-08-20/health/bs-hs-circumcision-economics-study-20120820_1_male-circumcision-circumcision-research-center-medical-costs

Bill

But some of the things mentioned in that article are caused by improper care. Scarring that causes it not to move, that is usually caused by forcible retraction. It is not generally a problem in Europe because the doctors know better. It would be less of a problem here, if more doctors were knowledgable about how to care for an intact child.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
typing on imaginary keyboard, lol

I was waiting for you to bring this up. Of course, using a condom, keeping it clean, and being careful where you put it also offer those same benefits, without the risk of surgery on a newborn.

:iagree:

I prefer teaching my children to take care of their genital rather than mutilating them as precious newborns.

If you are worried about risks of bacteria etc then baby girls should be circumsized too, after all the clitoral hood is in fact a female foreskin, the smegma that boys get develops under the hood too. Yet if someone suggested such an act on a baby girl the shouts of outrage would be extraordinarily loud. Yet it is beneficial to lop off a part of a boy's anatomy at birth?

I think since we are being proactive in their risks of disease and illness, that all newborn babies should have their appendixes removed immediately too. After all they are superfulous bits of anatomy, that actually do not have a function(unlike the foreskin), and the risk of infection and rupture is higher than the risk of penile cancer so let's remove that immediately.

And those darn babies with their eye infections that can lead to delays in speech development and loss of hearing. Well we may as well remove the ears too to prevent those.

And cavities. Since apparently parents aren't interesting in teaching proper hygiene we may as well remove all teeth too and prevent any chance of cavities, gingivitis, etc and the pain and suffering that goes with them.

And you know with the prevelance of breast cancer why don't we lop of the breasts of every little girl proactively. No breast tissue means no breast cancer. That's the ticket.

Or perhaps we can leave our baby boys intact with all the bits God created, and teach them how to wash their crotch in the shower.

I will say that after my sister circ'd my nephew both of my sons thanked me for leaving their penis' (is the plural of penis penii? ) alone. You see my sons are intelligent enough to pull the foreskin back and clean themselves. Before they were old enough to do that they were not retractable anyway so no risks there.

Now of course if one feels their son will never beable to develop the skill to wash his own crotch than I do believe you have bigger worries than the small risk of cancer as an adult.

As for disease well I sure as heck hope I raise my boys to be smart enough to not sleep around and wear a condom when they have sex. It is amazing what a difference being selective in your sexual partners and using condoms makes in the health of your penis.

As for insurance covering it...We have universal health care in Canada and circ is not covered. If you want your baby to get it done first you have to find a willing dr as most are not and then you pay out of pocket.

And I am fine with is being insured and allowing families and their doctors to choose.

Me too.

But some of the thing mentioned in that article are caused by improper care. Scarring that causes it not to move, that is usually caused by forcible retraction. It is not generally a proble in Europe because the doctors know better. It would be less of a problem here, if more doctors were knowledgable about how to care for an intact child.

I'm all for complications associated with not circumcising and improper care by doctors, other medical professionals, and parents being mitigated by better education. Just like I support reducing pain and complications of circumcision through better education and training of doctors.

Boys should not be made to suffer due to improper care or ignorance.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Me too.

But some of the thing mentioned in that article are caused by improper care. Scarring that causes it not to move, that is usually caused by forcible retraction. It is not generally a proble in Europe because the doctors know better. It would be less of a problem here, if more doctors were knowledgable about how to care for an intact child.

I'm all for complications associated with not circumcising and improper care by doctors, other medical professionals, and parents being mitigated by better education. Just like I support reducing pain and complications of circumcision through better education and training of doctors.

Boys should not be made to suffer due to improper care or ignorance.

Bill

penis' (is the plural of penis penii? )

It is just penises, like octopuses.

I get those Uganda stats. They aren't made up. However, the circs were done on adult males. As compelling as that research is, I still wouldn't do it on a baby (not religious here). If my sons want it done as adults, fine.

:iagree: Except, we are religious, but circumcision doesn't play into that for us. ;)

So glad I don't have a p*nis, and could just abdicate this decision to Wolf :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I don't have one, so I let my xh decide if he wanted the big boys circumcised. I let dh decide if he wanted little man circumcised.

I suppose I should have wanted input since neither man changed diapers or bathed babies, but my strongest opinion was/is that I don't have one.

I also feel like this is an insurance issue and am glad for the wording for those on both sides.

Mandy

I'm a little confused, what "went wrong" with the uncirc'ed boys? We haven't had any problems with doctor forcibly retracting, etc.

I've had 2 friends whose sons had to be circ'd as toddlers.

One, the foreskin was actually twisting, and causing his p*nis to twist. He had to be treated at a children's hospital, be put under, and the recovery was horrid.

The other, his foreskin was actually attaching to the p*nis. his dr literally grabbed a piece of gauze and *ripped* it off and back. He ended up having to go for surgery as well, same as above.

Those are 2 cases I know of, personally.

Yeah, this is a HUGE problem in Europe, where only 10% of babies are circumcised. Oh wait.... no it's not. :001_rolleyes:

The cited article states that the "majority of the costs are in the treatment of HIV," and it further states that "A circumcision costs on average $254, [whereas] when a male is not circumcised it costs $313 more in medical expenses to treat conditions he would not otherwise have suffered." I'm afraid that the idea of cutting off part of a baby's body in order to save $59 does not remotely make sense to me.

Teaching parents of intact boys, and the boys themselves, better hygiene would save the most money — it would save the $254 circumcision fee plus the $313 in treatment for an occasional infection.

Jackie

Well, I guess we're serial genital mutilaters (mutilators?) then.

All 3 of my sons are circ'd.

:glare:

lol I guess we are too. Both my boys are circ'd just like my dh and every other male within my family and his family.

I haven't had issues either. Although the doctor is foreign so maybe he isn't completely ignorant about it.

My kids have never had any infections and they are definitely not the most perfect kids in the hygiene realm. So I don't think it's as dire and sensitive of a problem as some make it seem.

:iagree: on all counts.

The other, his foreskin was actually attaching to the p*nis. his dr literally grabbed a piece of gauze and *ripped* it off and back. He ended up having to go for surgery as well, same as above.

This is what I am talking about with regard to ignorance. It is often attached in babies. It naturally loosens as they get older (and they start to mess with it). You are not supposed to forcible retract it. What you are describing is forcible retraction, and it *can* cause definite issues like scarring that require surgery later.

It's supposed to. You aren't supposed to retract it. It will retract on it's own when they are older. Retraction introduces bacteria to the area that the foreskin is protecting. Also, it probably was scarring together if the parents had retracted the foreskin to "clean", thus, the parents caused the issue.

eta: apparently I was crossposting with Mrs Mungo. LOL!

It is just penises, like octopuses.
This is one of those mental pictures that cannot be scrubbed from one's mind.

I don't know why we let someone come in here and lob a hand grenade like this when we've talked about circ 5000 times over the last 10 years. It's done. The discussion has been had. The research has been cited, and the fact that the extremely fickle AAP has changed their minds again means nothing.

Division, division, division. As if one's position on something as controversial as circumcision is not usually a matter of culture, religion, and research.

It's the start of the homeschooling year and we need each other for support in homeschooling and classical education. Don't let somebody come in here and convince everyone to waste the day bickering over such an un-resolvable debate until old friends are enemies and the children all go un-taught.

I know it's the General Board and it's for any old topic. I know some would say that all internet discussion is worthless then, by what I've said here. I don't care. There is no reason in the world why we should expect to all agree on this issue, which has been done to death. And it's a Monday in back-to-school season. Don't we all have more important things to do with our life?

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

I've had 2 friends whose sons had to be circ'd as toddlers.

One, the foreskin was actually twisting, and causing his p*nis to twist. He had to be treated at a children's hospital, be put under, and the recovery was horrid.

Those are 2 cases I know of, personally.

The doctor sounds incompetent. There are incompetent doctors. Some forcibly retract, and some botch circumcisions. Better training, better oversight, and better policies should be in place either way to eliminate or reduce preventable complications.

While we all should support efforts (either way) to reduce preventable complications only circumcision lower risks of men acquiring HIV, HPV, UTIs, genital herpes, penile cancer and syphilis. Reducing HPV transmission reduces the odds of causing cervical cancers among their female sexual partners.

And who knows what future STDs our children's generation might face? Parents of children in my generation could not have known AIDS might risk their children's lives.

Bill

I don't know why we let someone come in here and lob a hand grenade like this when we've talked about circ 5000 times over the last 10 years. It's done. The discussion has been had. The research has been cited, and the fact that the extremely fickle AAP has changed their minds again means nothing.

Division, division, division. As if one's position on something as controversial as circumcision is not usually a matter of culture, religion, and research.

It's the start of the homeschooling year and we need each other for support in homeschooling and classical educadtion. Don't let somebody come in here and convince everyone to waste the day bickering over such an un-resolvable debate until old friends are enemies and the children all go un-taught.

I know it's the General Board and it's for any old topic. I know some would say that all internet discussion is worthless then, by what I've said here. I don't care. There is no reason in the world why we should expect to all agree on this issue, which has been done to death. And it's a Monday in back-to-school season. Don't we all have more important things to do with our life?

It s not a hand grenade.

In past discussions the point was repeatedly made that the American Academy of Pediatrics, despite the mounting evidence, did not have a clear position stating that the medical benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks. That has changed.

Since I agree that parents should make informed decisions, it seems like an important position shift to take into consideration.

Bill

I have no problem with insurance companies refusing to cover it in cases that are elective. It's not medically necessary. The foreskin does have a purpose. We weren't born with body parts that need to be routinely cut off of every person. If it's a religious issue, well, with all the claims of separation of church and state, no one should be insisting that Medicaid cover religious circ.

Yeah, this is a HUGE problem in Europe, where only 10% of babies are circumcised. Oh wait.... no it's not. :001_rolleyes:

The cited article states that the "majority of the costs are in the treatment of HIV," and it further states that "A circumcision costs on average $254, [whereas] when a male is not circumcised it costs $313 more in medical expenses to treat conditions he would not otherwise have suffered." I'm afraid that the idea of cutting off part of a baby's body in order to save $59 does not remotely make sense to me.

Teaching parents of intact boys, and the boys themselves, better hygiene would save the most money — it would save the $254 circumcision fee plus the $313 in treatment for an occasional infection.

I agree with this too.

This is one of those mental pictures that cannot be scrubbed from one's mind.

Sorry! Maybe it will help people remember? :lol:

It's the start of the homeschooling year and we need each other for support in homeschooling and classical education. Don't let somebody come in here and convince everyone to waste the day bickering over such an un-resolvable debate until old friends are enemies and the children all go un-taught.

Oh, Tibbie, why must you be so right? FWIW, I am also giving a history quiz right now. :tongue_smilie: :lol:

It s not a hand grenade.

In past discussions the point was repeatedly made that the American Academy of Pediatrics, despite the mounting evidence, did not have a clear position stating that the medical benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks. That has changed.

Since I agree that parents should make informed decisions, it seems like an important position shift to take into consideration.

Bill

Except that the AAP didn't really say anything here. No one else seems to see this as a big shift.

And it is kind a controversial first thread to start after taking a little "board break."

Yes, I always think about what we have to talk about.

Kilts or no kilts?

Spanking is hitting or not and should you do it?

Cutting off a child's foreskin is incredibly life saving... or not...

All homeschoolers are moms who wear jean skirts?

You MUST use Saxon or you're going against homeschool law??

When you eat cupcakes you MUST NOT let your child have sprinkles on it with artificial Color!!!

And lastly, don't put your meat in the MICROWAVE after it didn't cook fully in time after it had been in the crockpot!! :)

I

No, it hasn't! They only say that the benefits of *allowing access* outweigh the risks. They are still not recommending it for everyone!

Except that the AAP didn't really say anything here. No one else seems to see this as a big shift.

And it is kind a controversial first thread to start after taking a little "board break."

I don't time the release of reports by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Bill

need to put curricula in protective pages. Anyone wanna help?

(don't know WHY that came to mind reading this thread :tongue_smilie:)

Might be a bit, umm, provocative for this board.

:tongue_smilie:

Yes, I always think about what we have to talk about.

Kilts or no kilts?

Spanking is hitting or not and should you do it?

Cutting off a child's foreskin is incredibly life saving... or not...

All homeschoolers are moms who wear jean skirts?

You MUST use Saxon or you're going against homeschool law??

When you eat cupcakes you MUST NOT let your child have sprinkles on it with artificial Color!!!

And lastly, don't put your meat in the MICROWAVE after it didn't cook fully in time after it had been in the crockpot!! :)

What the heck is wrong with you? You really trying to make Bill explode by bringing up Saxon? Geez, talk about division! :tongue_smilie: