Menu

Beast Academy 3C - PLOT SPOILER!!

Rivka

Beast Academy 3C was in our mailbox when we came home from a camping trip today. On a first look through (just the guide, not the practice book yet), I am happy with the math. But I particularly want to bring up a story point.

A recurring theme in BA is that the little monsters are on a competitive math team. They have "math meets" against a team of robots. In books 3A and 3B, after some drama and tension, the little monsters win their meets. In book 3C? They lose! You see all of the robots' parents cheering and excited for them, while the BA little monsters look at each other saying, "Uh, that was unexpected."

Then their coach comes on and explains that "The only monsters that never lose are the ones who never try anything difficult. If you never lose, you're probably not challenging yourself." They regroup, feel hopeful about next time, and move on.

I know I'm not the only one whose kid struggles with perfectionism and hating to make a mistake or not know an answer. I could have cried with gratitude when I saw that story! How amazing to see explicit advice in a math book about how to cope with failure. We had a great conversation about it - Alex read the book through and insisted that the 'bots must have cheated, until we talked it over.

I love Beast Academy.

When I saw your thread title, I was thinking a little smugly to myself that I don't have a pressing need to buy 3C (and that I'm not fond of the comic book format).

:glare: However, as you describe the antidote to a recurring issue in our household, I may have no choice. :tongue_smilie:

When I saw your thread title, I was thinking a little smugly to myself that I don't have a pressing need to buy 3C (and that I'm not fond of the comic book format).

:glare: However, as you describe the antidote to a recurring issue in our household, I may have no choice. :tongue_smilie:

Surrender to the power of the philosophy. :tongue_smilie:

Nice! We haven't used BA but I've considered it. DS1 is in SM 5a right now and I think I need to add curricula to slow him down a bit.

THat story line would be a very useful one around here!

I think he would enjoy it a lot. M does! She grabbed it to read when 3C arrived the other day, and I haven't even seen it yet... wonder if she got to that part yet. She too needs that lesson...

Nice! We haven't used BA but I've considered it. DS1 is in SM 5a right now and I think I need to add curricula to slow him down a bit.

I would give it a whirl. I've gone backward to use it with DS9 and he loves it. I can't even begin to tell you how much he loves it! DH has had yesterday and today off. The 3C books arrived yesterday and we were busy, busy so didn't get to them. This morning, DD and DS6 were playing Wii and DS9 walked right by them and asked me, "Can I please do math?" We are not doing school today. :lol: I let him. When we got 3A and 3B, he holed up with the books in his room and read/worked on them at night, then packed them in his suitcase for our move back in April. They are just wonderful, made more so by the philosophy of the AoPS founder. I would pay double, triple. I want them in hardcover. I want character t-shirts. I want them to produce them faster. Just perfect for us! And, yes, great for slowing down the speedy-mathster. :D

As an aside, I am surprised by how much DD is enjoying them as well. I always thought she was more like me in that she prefers straight teaching instead of puzzling things through but she is surprising me. I guess half her DNA did come from DH after all. :lol:

I may have to break down and buy BA C-DD loves BA, but it's really not challenging for her, and it's an expensive "fun" math book. But she SO needs that lesson in as many ways as she can get it. I wonder if D will be out by her birthday? Maybe I cold give her the set then?

I may have to break down and buy BA C-DD loves BA, but it's really not challenging for her, and it's an expensive "fun" math book. But she SO needs that lesson in as many ways as she can get it. I wonder if D will be out by her birthday? Maybe I cold give her the set then?

BA isn't really challenging for DS9 either, but it has made him love math again. That's probably why I don't think of it as expensive; here it has been invaluable. I don't know how to properly explain how good it has been for him. Although not extremely challenging, it is perfectly matched to the way he learns. It is so nice to see him with a math program that works for his VSL personality. We're keeping on in SM and are dipping our toes into AoPS Prealgebra, so I don't worry too much about keeping him challenged. I worry a great deal about keeping him engaged. That's kind of a paradox because challenge is what keeps him engaged. I might be talking in circles. Anyway... :lol:

I think 3D is supposed to be out in December.

BA isn't really challenging for DS9 either, but it has made him love math again. That's probably why I don't think of it as expensive; here it has been invaluable. I don't know how to properly explain how good it has been for him. Although not extremely challenging, it is perfectly matched to the way he learns. It is so nice to see him with a math program that works for his VSL personality. We're keeping on in SM and are dipping our toes into AoPS Prealgebra, so I don't worry too much about keeping him challenged. I worry a great deal about keeping him engaged. That's kind of a paradox because challenge is what keeps him engaged. I might be talking in circles. Anyway... :lol:

I think 3D is supposed to be out in December.

I don't know many different math curricula, but I have never seen "proofs" of how things work as nicely presented as in BA. My mom is visiting and she has been wowing on the perfect squares chapter. I am learning every day. I never knew I was a VSL.

I agree, many problems aren't' challenging, but the ones that are + the way things are explained have taken our entire family (with the exception of my "know it all" DH) to a new level of understanding. I couldn't be happier with those books. I just hope the rest of AoPS is in the same VSL spirit.

I don't know many different math curricula, but I have never seen "proofs" of how things work as nicely presented as in BA. My mom is visiting and she has been wowing on the perfect squares chapter. I am learning every day. I never knew I was a VSL.

I agree, many problems aren't' challenging, but the ones that are + the way things are explained have taken our entire family (with the exception of my "know it all" DH) to a new level of understanding. I couldn't be happier with those books. I just hope the rest of AoPS is in the same VSL spirit.

:iagree:

I am specifically remembering the skip counting maze puzzles. Those weren't challenging but they were certainly a fun and engaging way to make the process/practice fun. It works for his VSL brain. I agree that the explanations are good and I am enjoying it as well.

Awesome!! Love this plot spoiler! We are still on 3A, took it slow and played with it some this summer and will hit it again this fall. I like to read along with him. ;) Some of it is easy enough for DS1 who is 8 (who is a perfectionist), but some of those starred ones are a little challenging for me even!!! LOL