Menu

what are your favorite recipes for gluten-free treats that you make at home?

I'm not looking for products to buy. I want to know what recipes for gluten-free treats you really like.

The ones that we have really enjoyed so far have been these two:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Flourless-Chocolate-Cake-14478

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-gluten-free-recipe/index.html

We have used several mixes as well, but I'm looking for recipes rather than mix recommendations.

Brownies but i use my own gluten free flour mix

havent made these pb cookies in a while, but they were a big hit

When my son was still in school, I used to bake this recipe in a jelly roll pan, cut the cake in half, frost one half and cover with the other half, slice in to small rectangles, wrap and freeze - for home-made snack cakes. I usually used orange frosting.

Really, you can recreate most muffins and cakes with a good flour mix

Oh, and here is my sugar cookie recipe, lost track of the source. Good for making decorated rolled cookies. But do roll out on waxed paper.

Sugar cookies

1 ½ c. sugar 1 ½ c. potato starch flour

1 c. butter flavor Crisco 2/3 c. corn starch

4 egg yolks 2/3 c. tapioca starch

1 tsp. Vanilla 2 tsp. Baking powder

2 ½ tsp. Xanthan gum 1 tsp. Salt

Blend sugar and Crisco. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Mix flours, baking powder and salt and add to first mixture. Will be crumbly. Form balls, press down in to discs. Dust top with potato starch and roll ¼†thick, cut shapes, place on greased cookie sheet, bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes.

I just made gf rice krispie treats with the new gf rice krispies. They were a major hit. There is a cross between a pound cake and angle food cake recipe on the box of swan's potato starch that is really good. I think I have posted it on the GF social group before. I also have a pretty good chocolate chip cookie recipe using corn masa and a pie crust recipe that I can use for pumpkin, apple, strawberry, etc type pies. I think I have posted those to the social group as well. You can also do homemade ice cream and fruit smoothies.

These are LC sites; not all of the recipes are gluten-free, but many are and they are frequently tagged as such. You could always put sugar back in vs. erythritol and stevia if you don't care about the sugar content.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

Her Boston Cream pie is reallllly good. I use a different recipe for the glaze though. I didn't like hers that much.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2011/10/boston-cream-pie-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html (link to Boston Cream pie recipe)

This PB ice cream is really good, although maybe gluten-free ice cream isn't tough to find commercially made.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/05/peanut-butter-ice-cream-sundaes-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html (I didn't bother w/ the chocolate sauce)

http://www.healthyindulgences.net/search/label/gluten-free I like the coconut flour banana nut muffins a lot, the canellini bean cupcakes (yellow cake) are amazing and my kids will eat them. If you can find gluten free oat flour she has a "blender cake" up that looks yummy too.

Coconut flour waffles that are really, really good. Odd ingredient list, but try it :) See post 11 for the version without vital wheat gluten (obviously!!). That's the version I make and they are very good. I don't know if stevia has gluten in it, but again, for the sweeteners you can just tweak with sugar vs. erythritol or stevia.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/709265-betty-rs-famous-waffles-attn-charski.html

Edited by Momof3littles

I also have a pretty good chocolate chip cookie recipe using corn masa

I would love this recipe if you'd like to share.

One of our favourties is the black bean brownie, and I also make a rolled oat bar that the kids love when I can get certified GF oats which isn't very often.

bacon is a main food group here

:lol:

I'm saving up to make bacon mayo...;)

I discovered baking it in the oven. Do you do this? You line a huge pan with a pound of bacon, 425 for 6 minutes, rotate the pan, 6-8 minutes more. I get exactly 4 ounces of fat! MMmmmmm.

Probably not the best way to go in the summer.

1 cup butter softened

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

3/4 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups corn masa

1 tsp baking soda

Dash of salt

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

12 oz choc. chips

Beat butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until fluffy. Add masa, baking soda, salt and mix well. Stir in the nuts and chips. Roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter or slightly larger. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for several minutes before moving to a cooling rack. They do spread out like chocolate chip cookies, so space them accordingly.

Are you open to recipes outside traditional American?

I personally really like the Indian dish carrot halwa, which is basically shredded carrots cooked in milk and butter until all the milk is absorbed, then add sugar and ground cardamom, then chopped nuts and a few raisins as desired. Cook until the moisture is all evaporated. You can serve it with a little cream. It tastes, to me, like a really moist carrot cake/pudding.

Another one I like is an Arab dish with dates and bananas. Slice bananas and dried dates, layer them in a dish. Pour enough cream to cover (I try to have dates at the top), then cover and refrigerate overnight. Everything kind of mushes together into a pudding (maybe doesn't sound good, but it is, lol). If memory serves, this is from Claudia Roden's Middle Eastern Cooking.

Something different! :)

(I hope they are actually gluten free, I am not very well versed in that.)

I'm going to try this. I have yet to make a good cinnamon roll since being gf.

I personally really like the Indian dish carrot halwa, which is basically shredded carrots cooked in milk and butter until all the milk is absorbed, then add sugar and ground cardamom, then chopped nuts and a few raisins as desired. Cook until the moisture is all evaporated. You can serve it with a little cream. It tastes, to me, like a really moist carrot cake/pudding.

This sounds like something my kids would love. How much milk, butter, sugar, cardamom?

A huge favorite is home made ice cream. Buy the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Recipe book. It will not disappoint. Of course, use gf ingredients like gf brownies, cookies, and such.

I can recommend that cinnamon roll recipe. It is now a standby on Christmas mornings for my son and me! Very quick and easy to make. I love how GF baking is usually faster than gluten baking!

I'll try to get back and post some recipes later on. Have to get the two remaining kids to bed, and wash dishes, and do some homeschool organizing. So maybe I won't make it back here!

I love how GF baking is usually faster than gluten baking!

actually, for my savory breads, i've found that the flavor and texture is better when i do multiple rises. In fact, the last time i made my multigrain, it had over-risen and started to fall on its second rise, so i just stirred it down and let it rise 10 more minutes, and the texture was lovely.

wow, just read the recipe . . .aside from milk sub, i can do that! i had tried another recipe which came out good once and bad once ... but all starch, that must be so light! i do all starch for pastries but havent tried an all starch bread . . . plus most use tapioca which i cant do.

very sweet, thanks!

Bob's Red Mil GF all purpose (and a litt xanthan gum) is great in the Barefoot Contessa Outrageous Brownies.

I make Joyful Abode granola bars with dessicated coconut (not the sweetened shredded kind, the dry fluffy kind) instead of the wheat germ called for.

This banana bread is crazy good (I add chocolate chips) and grain free:

http://comfybelly.com/2012/03/banana-bread-using-coconut-almond-flour/#.UCSCYol5nTo

(sorry about the links. I'm on my phone)

This sounds like something my kids would love. How much milk, butter, sugar, cardamom?
There are a lot of different recipes online, this is how I do it:

Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a small pot. Add four cups of shredded carrot and saute for a few minutes. Pour in one cup of milk (I use whole milk, some recipes call for cream) and stir. Bring to a simmer and continue on a low simmer, covered, until all the milk has soaked into the carrot. This takes 45 min-1 hr. I check on it every 10 minutes or so and give it a stir.

Once the milk is gone the carrot clumps together kind of in a ball. Add 1/2 cup of sugar (some use white sugar, or brown sugar, or jaggery - you could experiment here; also some like it sweeter or less sweet, I start with a little less then add more if I want more). When you stir in the sugar a liquid forms in the bottom of the pan, so you want to keep cooking now on medium/low heat, uncovered, until the liquid is gone; stir continuously. At the end the carrot will have turned a shade or two darker and be moist like a thick pudding.

Take off the heat. Add 1 teaspoon of ground cardamon, 1/2 cup of roughly chopped nuts (usually almonds and/or pistachios), and a sprinkling of golden raisins and stir.

I prefer to eat it a little warm with a bit of thick cream. :)

There are a lot of different recipes online, this is how I do it:

Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a small pot. Add four cups of shredded carrot and saute for a few minutes. Pour in one cup of milk (I use whole milk, some recipes call for cream) and stir. Bring to a simmer and continue on a low simmer, covered, until all the milk has soaked into the carrot. This takes 45 min-1 hr. I check on it every 10 minutes or so and give it a stir.

Once the milk is gone the carrot clumps together kind of in a ball. Add 1/2 cup of sugar (some use white sugar, or brown sugar, or jaggery - you could experiment here; also some like it sweeter or less sweet, I start with a little less then add more if I want more). When you stir in the sugar a liquid forms in the bottom of the pan, so you want to keep cooking now on medium/low heat, uncovered, until the liquid is gone; stir continuously. At the end the carrot will have turned a shade or two darker and be moist like a thick pudding.

Take off the heat. Add 1 teaspoon of ground cardamon, 1/2 cup of roughly chopped nuts (usually almonds and/or pistachios), and a sprinkling of golden raisins and stir.

I prefer to eat it a little warm with a bit of thick cream. :)

Thanks you. It sounds so good. Is it something you can make ahead of time?

Thanks you. It sounds so good. Is it something you can make ahead of time?
Yes.. I made some early yesterday afternoon, stored in the fridge overnight. I gave some to my Indian fil tonight (reheated in the microwave) and he tasted it and said "You know how to make carrot halwa! My favorite!" ..and he had two helpings.. :D I'll take that as a passing grade...

I have my GF recipe blog listed in my siggy. FTR, the waffles in my avatar are my yeasted overnight waffles that we typically use for sandwiches. I also have a belgian waffle recipe on there for more breakfasty type waffles.

I don't post anything that tastes like GF. IMO if you can tell it's GF then the recipe isn't right yet.

The easiest dessert to make GF is angel food cake IMO (besides the obvious naturally GF things like ice cream, grilled peaches, and such).

Things my family love the most and therefore make the most:

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Banana Bread (healthy version!)

Cinnabon-like Cinnamon Rolls

Graham Crackers (made some today in honor of S'mores Day!)

Summer Berry Pie

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Honestly though cake of any sort is generally super easy to make GF - the fact that some GF bakeries charge soooo much for a GF cake always leaves me flabbergasted. For dd's birthday a few weeks ago I made that giant 6 layer Rainbow Cake that's on Martha Stewart's site. I don't have the recipe up right now but here's a link to the picture of mine:

http://glutenfree100.blogspot.com/2012/08/so-heres-deal-beautiful-rainbow-cake.html

Oh and they were a big hit with me but my dh & kids didn't like them much: Dark Chocolate Angel Food Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Glaze (157 calories each btw).

I forgot to add that the brownies from Karina's Kitchen blog are to die for. They are seriously awesome.

Are you open to recipes outside traditional American?

Another one I like is an Arab dish with dates and bananas. Slice bananas and dried dates, layer them in a dish. Pour enough cream to cover (I try to have dates at the top), then cover and refrigerate overnight. Everything kind of mushes together into a pudding (maybe doesn't sound good, but it is, lol). If memory serves, this is from Claudia Roden's Middle Eastern Cooking.

Something different! :)

(I hope they are actually gluten free, I am not very well versed in that.)

Kate, thanks for posting the carrot dish. That sounds really nice! I think we'll try it this weekend. :001_smile:

Faith

We're not gluten-free here, but the monster cookie recipe I discovered this spring and love says you can make them gluten-free IF you use GF oats. I didn't realize that there were oats that are GF, but if that's something you can eat, here's the recipe:

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/05/07/monster-cookies/

They're very good, and with all of that peanut butter and oats, I'm convinced it is a health food! I also reduce both sugars to 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup, and I use 3/4 cups each of m&ms and chocolate chips instead of 1 cup simply because I like PB/oat part of the cookie best. These are our official soccer tournament cookies (non-sporty dd and I eat these on the sideline while watching sporty dd play).