Menu

Help! What blender do I need to buy to make green smoothies that are actually smooth?

Y'all are breaking my heart. :lol: On the bright side, DH is (for the first time in his entire life!!!) interested in drinking smoothies too. He made a yummy pineapple banana concoction after his workout today and was hounding me for more variety in his frozen fruit. Maybe a Vitamix could pass for his birthday present next week? :D We're gettin' on in years and it's time to up our fruit and veggie intake and start turning back the clock. :tongue_smilie:

But if I splurge on a Vitamix and there are still floaties, I'm gonna be :toetap05:. :lol: Is the cheapest one OK? :tongue_smilie: I'm looking at model #1782.

You might find this video interesting:

Based on this I went with the KitchenAid, which runs around $100 (my dh got it on sale for $80 at Mother's Day). We've been VERY pleased with it. But I'll admit I haven't tried much green. Oh wait...yes I have. Apparently it got the spinach leaves so small that, combined with strawberries, it looked like a chocolate milkshake. It did not taste like it looked.;)

I was gifted a vitamix from my Aunt and I am very, very happy with it. I have been married for 16 years and I have burnt out a kitchen aid, Oster, and a magic bullet. I love that we can do so much in it, too. We do Kale/Carrot smoothies daily now.

Very similar story. I burnt out a Kitchen Aid and an Oster. I love my Vitamix. We got one for a bit less from Costco.

Based on this I went with the KitchenAid, which runs around $100 (my dh got it on sale for $80 at Mother's Day). We've been VERY pleased with it. But I'll admit I haven't tried much green. Oh wait...yes I have. Apparently it got the spinach leaves so small that, combined with strawberries, it looked like a chocolate milkshake. It did not taste like it looked.;)

That was interesting. The article too. The KitchenAid turned jawbreakers into sugar! :lol: I wonder about the kale specifically though. I know spinach is softer.

I was gifted a vitamix from my Aunt and I am very, very happy with it. I have been married for 16 years and I have burnt out a kitchen aid, Oster, and a magic bullet. I love that we can do so much in it, too. We do Kale/Carrot smoothies daily now.

Thanks! I have a really pretty Waring blender that can make a perfect margarita but, alas, the kale is out of its comfort zone. DH's mom has a Vitamix that she never uses. If I put one on DH's wish list, I wonder if she might just pack hers up and throw it in the mail. :tongue_smilie:

I've been very happy with my Kitchenaid. I pretty much use it for smoothies, hummus, and smooth soups. I do make green smoothies, but I haven't tried kale, only spinach. For my uses, I'm glad I saved the extra $300. Maybe a friend has one ou can borrow for a test run?

I premake my smoothies so I end up throwing in a frozen chunk from the freezer and about a cup of water (or milk if you prefer).

Here's my recipe:

1/2 cup spinach

1/2 banana

Dollop* of yogurt

Dollop of OJ concentrate

1/2 cup fruit

I have about 15 of these kits stashed in my freezer right now. *A dollop is just a generous dinner spoon heaped up with the yogurt or OJ concentrate. My 12-year-old has no idea that his smoothies contain spinach.

I've never used kale, only spinach....

Well, a cheaper blender might win because when I Googled kale and blenders, I hit upon info about uncooked kale having something in it that inhibits iodine absorption and should be restricted if you have low thyroid, which I do...

Maybe I'll just stick with my pretty Waring and spinach.

Good news, Element! Just stick with spinach and you'll be fine! :thumbup:

:tongue_smilie:

Well, a cheaper blender might win because when I Googled kale and blenders, I hit upon info about uncooked kale having something in it that inhibits iodine absorption and should be restricted if you have low thyroid, which I do...

:tongue_smilie:

Oh this is good to know! I have hypothyroidism too.

That was interesting. The article too. The KitchenAid turned jawbreakers into sugar! :lol: I wonder about the kale specifically though. I know spinach is softer.

I wonder if it is the size/shape that was causing issues? I roughly chop things before I blend them.

Blendtec vs golf balls

Edited by Sis

After seeing a demo and tasting yummy super-smooth whole fruit juice, I'm seriously considering a Blendtec. Costco has it on sale on their website right now for a really good price ($369 including a bonus large pitcher). If I don't get that, I might get a refurbished Vitamix 5200. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I think either would be great for the smooth texture you are looking for.

:hurray:

I probably need a better blender anyway. I get green flakes with just spinach because I'm using a 10 year old $50 Oster. At least now I can lust after the $100 KitchenAids (and the Warings actually look pretty nice too) instead of the $500 Vitamixes. :)

2 bananas

A huge handful of baby carrots or 4-5 smaller carrots

Frozen fruit usually berries

Stuff as much kale as possible in the container

I add ice if it is really hot out.

Water to blend. Usually around the 3 cup mark.

Put the water in before the Kale.

Kale is related to cabbage, cauliflower etc. All of those are hard on the thyroid. spinach just doesn't have the same nutritional profile.

If you have a skinny kid, you must add an avocado. I sometimes add fresh oranges or mangos, as well. I just usually save my mangos to make lassis with. I am stingy with my mangos.

If it has to be. I wouldn't hate something cheaper though. :tongue_smilie:

I just read a review of blenders that were tested by "Cooks" mag.

1. Vitamix came in first - price $ 450

2. Breville - The Hemisphere Control - price $199.-

3. Hamilton Beach Rio Commercial Bar Blender - price $110.-

Hope this helps. All blenders were tested on green smoothies, fruit smoothies, ice crushing, speed, noise and durability.

Very similar story. I burnt out a Kitchen Aid and an Oster. I love my Vitamix. We got one for a bit less from Costco.

I burnt out my Vitamix and it was NOT due to over use. Mine was the extra heavy duty, ALL stainless one they sold years ago.

I know people here swear by them but I just am not impressed.