Menu

You all warned me, I didn't listen....

It is way to sweet on it's own. DH loves it. I have made banana and nutella dessert crepes before. THAT is good.

I like it with fresh fruit, like firm peach slices. yum...the fruit seems to offset some of the nutella sweetness.

When I eat nutella straight off the spoon, I like to have a hot cup of coffee (I take it no cream/no sugar) to drink with it.

Okay, now I'm hungry again. Why were we discussing nutella? :auto:

I tried nutella last year because of everyone's enthusiasm. Didn't like it. Shouldn't have been surprised--I'm not big on chocolate in the first place. But a few weeks ago I thought of the Hive when I saw the Back-to-School sale flyer from Publix. Among those essentials you'll need for school were cereal, milk, lunchables and . . . Nutella! :D I wish I had a picture of it. Priceless!

I tried nutella last year because of everyone's enthusiasm. Didn't like it. Shouldn't have been surprised--I'm not big on chocolate in the first place. But a few weeks ago I thought of the Hive when I saw the Back-to-School sale flyer from Publix. Among those essentials you'll need for school were cereal, milk, lunchables and . . . Nutella! :D I wish I had a picture of it. Priceless!

Have you ever seen white colored hazelnut cream products? I see them all the time in some ethnic stores. I used to buy a Turkish version of nutella. There are some that come with white and brown stripes, too. ;)

I tried Nutella for the first time when I was about 9. Heh

Have you ever seen white colored hazelnut cream products? I see them all the time in some ethnic stores. I used to buy a Turkish version of nutella. There are some that come with white and brown stripes, too. ;)

I tried Nutella for the first time when I was about 9. Heh

Why must you tempt me so?

Actually I haven't looked. So now I'll have to. Because of you. You're a Bad Influence. :tongue_smilie:

HOMEMADE NUTELLA RECIPE -- even better than the store-bought kind -- not as sweet, enormously rich and satisfying. This is a dark chocolate version I found on the internet a long time ago. It's super easy. This will make your day!

1/2 cup hazelnuts

3 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (buy GOOD quality; I use Scharffenberger and it's fantastic)

1/2 cup whipping cream

3 tablespoons dark brown sugar

pinch of salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Toast hazelnuts in a flat pan at 350 degrees, for 12 to 15 minutes. Rub in a towel while still warm to remove as much of skins as possible.

Pulse in a food processor. Add the chopped chocolate and pulse until finely ground.

Bring cream, sugar, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Pour through the feed tube of the food processor onto the nuts and chocolate mixture with the motor running. Process 4-5 minutes. Don't skimp; the texture really does change over that period. Put in a bowl, stir in vanilla, and refrigerate.

This is exactly what I want :) DH just pointed out the palm oil in the ingredients list and I promised I'd look for a homemade recipe... after this jar is gone. :D

HOMEMADE NUTELLA RECIPE -- even better than the store-bought kind -- not as sweet, enormously rich and satisfying. This is a dark chocolate version I found on the internet a long time ago. It's super easy. This will make your day!

1/2 cup hazelnuts

3 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (buy GOOD quality; I use Scharffenberger and it's fantastic)

1/2 cup whipping cream

3 tablespoons dark brown sugar

pinch of salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Toast hazelnuts in a flat pan at 350 degrees, for 12 to 15 minutes. Rub in a towel while still warm to remove as much of skins as possible.

Pulse in a food processor. Add the chopped chocolate and pulse until finely ground.

Bring cream, sugar, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Pour through the feed tube of the food processor onto the nuts and chocolate mixture with the motor running. Process 4-5 minutes. Don't skimp; the texture really does change over that period. Put in a bowl, stir in vanilla, and refrigerate.

That sounds REALLY good. Where do you buy the fancy chocolate?

This board corrupted me, too.

On Saturday I had a waffle spread with Nutella and topped with sliced bananas and walnuts. YUM.

My favorite way to eat it is to dip Pretzel Goldfish Crackers in it.

If I'm having a rough day and have to go to hide from those crazy people I live with then I take a jar of nutella and a bag pretzels with me. I prefer the long and skinny ones because your fingers don't get as messy when eating directly from the container. :001_smile: I can't really blame my family though because I don't really need a reason to spend some quality time with nutella and pretzels.

Believe it or not, at Vons, my local grocery store. But there are lots of other good brands.

Would Ghiardelli sp? work? I know my local grocery store sells that in the baking aisle. I've never seen that brand you mentioned though. Never heard of a Vons either. Where do you live? Sorry I'm nosy! lol :tongue_smilie:

Big city in southern California -- and Scharffenberger is made in Berkeley, so it's a local (relatively) product and we see it everywhere here.

I also love Callebaut, Valrhona, and Lindt. Lindt is at the grocery store too, in the candy bar section; the others are at fancier stores or online (all kinds of places, including amazon.com).

I think any chocolate brand would be good, but fancy ones make this recipe blissful.

So between Lindt and Ghiardellis which would be the better one?

This thread is giving me some great ideas for enjoying my Nutella. I've done the Nutella and peanut butter sandwich, Nutella and fluff, Nutella and banana, Nutella on pita bread...but I've not ever tried it on pretzels! Sounds really yummy. Like a pp, I've eaten my pretzels dipped in mustard and now I'm going to have to try them with nutella. :D

Also to throw another 'must try' out there...has anyone tried the Biscoff spread?? A friend gave me a fresh slice of french bread spread with Biscoff and it was ooooooohhh so good.

I much prefer Lindt, but I would think it would also depend on your personal taste preference. You need to do a serious chocolate taste test! You NEED to.

LOL I will. It will be difficult, but I will make the sacrifice for the sake of knowledge. :p hehe

http://youngcareertraveler.com/nutelleria-the-sweetest-place-on-earth/

I can't seem to paste on the picture but scroll down to the middle of the page to check out Nutelleria.(Includes the addresses for those of you who are lucky enough to be in Italy or Germany.) I would go there everyday instead of Starbucks!

Nutelleria! Love it! I'll bet they serve coffee too. MMMMMMMM. My vote is for the Italian one. :)