Menu

TLC's newest train wreck....

Guest submarines
I know a few people have said that these people are doing all of this stuff for the money, and they don't care that people are laughing at them, but the little girl in this new TLC series is too young to realize that. I'm sure, in her own eyes, she is on TV because she's a beautiful beauty pageant winner, and because people all over the world love her and think she's special.

It's only a matter of time before that little girl (and the other kids on similar shows) are crushed when they finally learn the truth, and I think that's terribly sad for the children -- and horribly selfish, greedy, and insensitive of the parents. Don't even get me started on what I think of the creators and producers of these shows, as well as the powers-that-be at TLC.

:iagree:

However, I wonder whether the parents themselves realise that they are being mocked and made fun of. One would have to be an extremely self confident person and / or a gifted actor in order to be fine with being made fun of, for money or not. These people just don't strike me this way.

So if they are not self-confident and aware individuals who just decide to make money this way, they must think that there's nothing embarrassing about them.

My mind freezes when I think about this.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree:

However, I wonder whether the parents themselves realise that they are being mocked and made fun of. One would have to be an extremely self confident person and / or a gifted actor in order to be fine with being made fun of, for money or not. These people just don't strike me this way.

So if they are not self-confident and aware individuals who just decide to make money this way, they must think that there's nothing embarrassing about them.

My mind freezes when I think about this.

Twenty five hours ago I would have agreed with you. After watching the show, I'm pretty certain that Mama June and her "baby daddy" as she calls him are just fine with all the derision and ridicule that comes their way.

astrid

Guest submarines
Twenty five hours ago I would have agreed with you. After watching the show, I'm pretty certain that Mama June and her "baby daddy" as she calls him are just fine with all the derision and ridicule that comes their way.

astrid

I haven't watched the show, but read the review that you posted, so let's say you are right--Mama June is fine with the ridicule. But I think that the little girl is too young to realise these nuances. And I agree with what Catwoman posted upthread--she thinks she's on TV because she's a beautiful pageant winner. She can't give an informed consent. Maybe she will grow up insanely rich and with healthy self esteem and truly won't care, but I somehow doubt it that she will look at those photos of herself plastered all over the web, and the comments about them, and threads like this, never mind the shows themselves, and think she was there for the right reasons.

I haven't watched the show, but read the review that you posted, so let's say you are right--Mama June is fine with the ridicule. But I think that the little girl is too young to realise these nuances. And I agree with what Catwoman posted upthread--she thinks she's on TV because she's a beautiful pageant winner. She can't give an informed consent. Maybe she will grow up insanely rich and with healthy self esteem and truly won't care, but I somehow doubt it that she will look at those photos of herself plastered all over the web, and the comments about them, and threads like this, never mind the shows themselves, and think she was there for the right reasons.

Oh I completely agree with this, and posted here that I think it's unconscionable exploitation. But Mom and Dad know EXACTLY what they're doing. I"m sure TLC is taking advantage of them too-- I doubt that their contract was fully vetted by a savvy attorney and or/agent with their best interests in mind. No doubt TLC banked on the fact that it wouldn't be. They'll probably spend most of their income from the show at the half-priced auction, etc. In the grand scheme of things, I doubt their lives will change very much.

However, I doubt that Mom and Dad are thinking very far into the future about the potential damage to their girls. That's sad, in my opinion. But after watching the show, it's pretty clear to me that whether or not you agree with their lifestyle, those girls are loved, cared for, and appreciated in that family. Though it may not be the kind of lifestyle you or I live, that family is pretty darn stable, and seems much more involved and communicative than many families I see - reality TV and IRL.

astrid

Edited by astrid

Guest submarines
Oh I completely agree with this, and posted here that I think it's unconscionable exploitation. But Mom and Dad know EXACTLY what they're doing. I"m sure TLC is taking advantage of them too-- I doubt that their contract was fully vetted by a savvy attorney and or/agent with their best interests in mind. No doubt TLC banked on the fact that it wouldn't be. They'll probably spend most of their income from the show at the half-priced auction, etc. In the grand scheme of things, I doubt their lives will change very much.

However, I doubt that Mom and Dad are thinking very far into the future about the potential damage to their girls. That's sad, in my opinion. But after watching the show, it's pretty clear to me that whether or not you agree with their lifestyle, those girls are loved, cared for, and appreciated in that family. Though it may not be the kind of lifestyle you or I live, that family is pretty darn stable, and seems much more involved and communicative than many families I see - reality TV and IRL.

astrid

That's interesting. Now I'm curious to watch it. I don't have cable, though (or a TV). :tongue_smilie:

I know a few people have said that these people are doing all of this stuff for the money, and they don't care that people are laughing at them, but the little girl in this new TLC series is too young to realize that. I'm sure, in her own eyes, she is on TV because she's a beautiful beauty pageant winner, and because people all over the world love her and think she's special.

It's only a matter of time before that little girl (and the other kids on similar shows) are crushed when they finally learn the truth, and I think that's terribly sad for the children -- and horribly selfish, greedy, and insensitive of the parents. Don't even get me started on what I think of the creators and producers of these shows, as well as the powers-that-be at TLC.

THIS. A thousand times this! The parents are adults, but this child is a real person whose future is being mapped by this foolishness. And go-go juice. It's unconscionable.

THIS. A thousand times this! The parents are adults, but this child is a real person whose future is being mapped by this foolishness. And go-go juice. It's unconscionable.

I agree-- I posted this earlier, and still believe it:

Unconscionable victimization and exploitation.

astrid

However, after watching the show, I stand by my observation that those kids are loved and cherished by their parents. That family spends time together. Sure it's at The Redneck Games and the Half Price Auction or whatever, but despite their rough edges, they were genuinely concerned about each other and interactive. Much more so than a lot of families I see IRL and on "reality" TV.

astrid

Or the part where they explicitly explained why, in their family, they refer to a woman's vulva as her "biscuit" because, well, in well-made biscuits they separate like that?

They should tap her for the Vagina Monologues! This could be an empowering rallying cry!

Or the part where they explicitly explained why, in their family, they refer to a woman's vulva as her "biscuit" because, well, in well-made biscuits they separate like that?

:001_unsure: Umm.... how poorly will you think of me when I tell you that I knew that... without having watched the show? I once yelled, "you can kiss my biscuit!" at my mom and she smacked my smartypants six ways into Sunday. :blushing:

:leaving:

I agree-- I posted this earlier, and still believe it:

However, after watching the show, I stand by my observation that those kids are loved and cherished by their parents. That family spends time together. Sure it's at The Redneck Games and the Half Price Auction or whatever, but despite their rough edges, they were genuinely concerned about each other and interactive. Much more so than a lot of families I see IRL and on "reality" TV.

astrid

:iagree: And darn this thread for sucking me in. We don't have cable, but you can watch the whole mess streaming online. :glare: This is a loving family and I knew many emotionally worse off families growing up in a rural, blue collar town. Would I remotely live like that or wish for it for my kids? Not in a million years. But it's not an abusive situation IMO. Did they make a bad decision broadcasting their lives? Possibly. Maybe they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

I think it's appalling that they have pageants like that for toddlers/young children in the first place. So, it's not just the TasteLessChannel stooping to new lows; these pageants have been around for a looooooong time.

Don't get me started on the fact that subtitles are needed.

:thumbdown:

Pandering to the lowest common denominator is a long-standing human tradition; at least these aren't gladiator fights to the death put on tv (but that's the best I can think of to say about it). And, as P.T. Barnum (supposedly) said, "There's a sucker born every minute." I'm not sure whether the suckers are the viewers or the stars -- probably both.