Menu

Please lock your doors (caution sad news inside)

I know we had a long thread recently about locking and not-locking doors. I know one sad story may not change your mind, but please consider it again.

This is story from just outside Kansas City that just breaks my heart. Two sisters were slain in their home. It is unclear how they knew the man, but he entered through unlocked doors while the sisters were napping and had two small children with them. He was high on meth at the time. A locked door may not have deterred him, but it could have given them time to respond appropriately.

This is an area I am familiar with. I grew up near the town he was hiding, I've driven through the town he lived in and where the girls lived numerous times. Where he and the girls lived are small town, almost zero crime. They are safe areas. They are the kinds of place you don't lock doors and you can leave your keys in the car when you run into the convenience store (not that I do, but it's that kind of town).

Talk to your kids about drugs, talk to your kids about personal safety and the good habit of keeping doors locked especially when you're sleeping.

Here's a link. It's beyond sad. http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/16/3707038/charges-filed-in-deaths-of-edgerton.html

I know we had a long thread recently about locking and not-locking doors. I know one sad story may not change your mind, but please consider it again.

This is story from just outside Kansas City that just breaks my heart. Two sisters were slain in their home. It is unclear how they knew the man, but he entered through unlocked doors while the sisters were napping and had two small children with them. He was high on meth at the time. A locked door may not have deterred him, but it could have given them time to respond appropriately.

This is an area I am familiar with. I grew up near the town he was hiding, I've driven through the town he lived in and where the girls lived numerous times. Where he and the girls lived are small town, almost zero crime. They are safe areas. They are the kinds of place you don't lock doors and you can leave your keys in the car when you run into the convenience store (not that I do, but it's that kind of town).

Talk to your kids about drugs, talk to your kids about personal safety and the good habit of keeping doors locked especially when you're sleeping.

Here's a link. It's beyond sad. http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/16/3707038/charges-filed-in-deaths-of-edgerton.html

Whoa! Kansas City! That's in the area I live. Eek!

I can't read the link. I heard about two sisters being murdered on the news and could barely stand to listen to it. My heart breaks for the parents. Can you imagine losing two children?

My kids don't like that I'm over protective. I'm ok with it. I'm not a free range parent. I'm comfortable with that.

I can't read the link. I heard about two sisters being murdered on the news and could barely stand to listen to it. My heart breaks for the parents. Can you imagine losing two children?

My kids don't like that I'm over protective. I'm ok with it. I'm not a free range parent. I'm comfortable with that.

:iagree: my husband accuses me of being a helicopter parent sometimes. I'm fine with that, too. My kids aren't going to be unaccounted for or unwatched so long as I'm alive and able to do it.

:iagree: my husband accuses me of being a helicopter parent sometimes. I'm fine with that, too. My kids aren't going to be unaccounted for or unwatched so long as I'm alive and able to do it.

Well the sisters were 19 and 22, so young adults. I believe they lived together and the 22 year old's two small children were there, both under 2 I believe. Either way a parent now has to bury two of their children.

This is from an article this morning: "Down the street, [names removed] said they’re going to start locking their doors for the first time in 50 years."

We live in an affluent area, one of the most desired suburbs of a big city. (We moved here when it was still horse pastures and not affluent.)

Our neighbor of 13 years was using meth. Local kids were giving it to him, in exchange for him letting them use his house for harder drugs. We found this out when one of the kids died of an overdose feet from our house.

Seventeen teens were arrested in the teen's death.

I won't even go into details about what it was like living next to this house for the year leading up to the teen's death. It was unreal.

It is amazing how many people still don't lock their doors around here and have the mentality that it can't happen here. :001_huh:

Us? Door locks. Alarm set. Wish I could talk DH into installing cameras. (We found out later the creep next door had cameras, including one pointed at us. :glare:)

My heart goes out to the family in the news article above.

It's horrible, but I'm not sure what being a helicopter parent has to do with this story. The parents weren't being lax in supervising the victims; the sisters were adults.

I didn't make that clear in my original post. If you didn't click the article you wouldn't have seen their ages, and I understand not clicking the link. I should have been more clear that these were young adults, not children living with parents.

We had some midday robberies here last summer. People were walking into houses where they knew someone was home, pointing guns at them and robbing them.

This is a small town rural area where everyone knows everyone else. The robbers were commuting here from DC. That has been an ongoing problem for our area. We are lightly policed and somehow word got to DC, two hours away, that it was easy pickins' and for the last decade we have had assaults, robberies, and two murders where the criminals were tracked back to SE.

Small towns with these reputations have a target on them.

I should share this with my family members who think I'm Mrs. Paranoid because I always want the doors looked. I even look the doors in the middle of the day if we are in the basement or my daughter is home alone. I agree with you that it might not prevent someone from getting in, but it might give us more time to react.

That is very sad. We recently had a violent home invasion here in town. A man broke into the house, again unlocked doors due to small town mind set, and pepper sprayed the woman and her 3 MONTH old baby in the face. They never said in the news how he knew the woman just that he was known to her. It's funny when we lived in the big city, even with teh gang on the street once ds passed the age of bolting into traffic we never locked the doors, not at night, not while away etc. In this small town they are locked at all times. Different attitudes of neighbors. In the city we were more of a community than this town, people looked out for each other. Well and we were protected by the gang not targetted. In this town someone could be breaking into my house and even if someone saw it happening they may or may not call the police. It's a very every man for himself type place.

How awful!

We recently moved to an apartment while we're house hunting, and I found out after the fact that this is where there was a home invasion a few months back where a man was stabbed 11 times. One person said she thinks the whole story was a fake and that it was the wife that stabbed the husband (they have a violent history and were fighting that night.) Not sure what to think, but we keep our doors double locked at all times.

It's the druggies that scare me, because they don't think right.

Psalm 91 is my comfort.