Menu

A co-sleeping warning..

A family that we used to go to church with lost their 8 month old this morning. The mom posted on facebook "If you co-sleep and there is a gap between your matress and headboard fix it or find somewhere else to sleep!". Co-sleeping can be very safe and I have co-slept with all my kids at some point but this a good reminder and it made me double check around my bed, etc just to make sure we were good to go. I thought it might be a good reminder for all! Please be in prayer for this family!

So sad to hear about this. That is good advice. We have purposely put off buying a fancy bedframe until the babies are out of our bed. We do have a sidecar crib arrangement, though, and there is a slight gap between the crib mattress and our bed. With baby #1, I was very careful to keep a rolled up towel there, but I've grown pretty lax about it over the years. Another thing to be extra careful about if you have that set up.

I don't understand what the problem would be with a gap? Sorry, uneducated on this.

Baby could squirm around and get his/her head stuck in the gap and suffocate. I think it would be fairly unlikely that you wouldn't notice, but it could happen.

I keep my cosleeping baby a bit lower (not right up between the adults' pillows), and I keep a (firm) pillow upright between the mattress and headboard, just for that purpose.

They said he got his head stuck between the headboard and mattress and suffocated. I have heard of it happening. We haven't had a headboard since we bought our bed in 2006 and now I am very glad.

More often you hear that they rolled into the spcae between the bed and the wall and died that way. I've not heard of the headboard before, either.

oh my that poor family. Like many others I have not had a headboard/foot board on my bed as long as littles have ben co sleeping. I do have a beautiful old bed to assemble when I am done with cosleeping and buy a fabulous new mattress too (didn't want a new one while little kids still coslept and wet the bed, or puked, or drooled etc.

Praying for that family, I can not imagine the guilt they must feel for a horrible accident.

How Terrible! So awful and sad. :grouphug:

I didn't know that any co-sleepers actually slept with a bed and boxspring, let alone a headboard. I just assumed everyone put their mattress on the floor so the little one wouldn't fall so far if they rolled or crawled off the bed.