Menu

I need your BEST mosquito bite itch relief

Please! Give 'em to me. I want the best of the best advice to deal with the mosquito bite itchies. My littles are all 6 and under.

So far, I've been putting scotch tape on them and that seems to work ok but I'm looking for better, if there is such a thing. I don't have the ability to get anything OTC so I'm looking for home remedies - also I think they would be safer for the ages of my kiddos.

TIA

What I have done is start the hot water...when the water hits the bite...it will itch like crazy....then keep getting the water hotter....as hot as you can stand it. What this does is it releases the histamines....and it shouldn't itch for at least 8 hours.

It works for poison ivy too!

all at once? one at a time?? I've read calamine makes bites worse? This isn't true?

Not all at once. My ds is allergic to mosquito/bug bites-he swells up and gets very itchy for days. Calamine works for him, (maybe the placebo effect?) and the ice cubes help with the swelling.

#1 - meat tenderizer, works like a charm. I wet it, sprinkle it on. NOT the natural stuff. That nasty MSG stuff.

#2 - baking soda, which works very similarly and since I tend to have it on hand, that's where we head first.

Neither is *instant* relief. Instead what they do is make them go away in the fraction of the time and prevent the swelling.

If you do a search on baking soda and insect bites, it's a very common recommendation.

Lanacaine Maximum strength helps my daughter who suffers from very big welts when bitten. I don't know how young it is safe to use on, but we've used it for the past two years. It's the only thing that has given her relief.