Menu

Large company is stealing a photo of my DD and husband without my permission

It is a personal photo of my DD and Husband and they are using it for a father's day promotion post on facebook. I've asked them to take it down and they are not. If you have a moment can you please post for them to not use someone's personal photo without permission? Their facebook page is here The image is of my dd and husband dancing Thanks so much.

https://www.facebook.com/Tieks

The problem is, you posted it online without watermarking it. It's extremely possible that this company got the image off of Pinterest or some other site without knowing it belongs to you. It's possible they even purchased it as stock photography from someone who stole it previously. You should email or call the company, explaining (in a non-accusatory way) that the image belongs to you, is of your daughter, you would like to know where they got the image and ask them them to remove it. (I wouldn't just accuse them of stealing the image on their facebook account. It may not be true.) Attach the links you provided here as proof. If it's out there, however, you're kind of in a losing battle unless you want to hire a lawyer.

If it is your photo, it doesn't matter how the company got it. Facebook has an easy to use form to report copyright violations to facebook. (google for it) Fill out the form, and the photo will be gone fast.

wow, i'd do what a previous posters said about requesting removal from facebook as well as contacting the company directly (non-accusatory) and requesting removal. Then, when that family gets that card that was also mentioned in a reply, have them find the issuing company (of the card) and work to contact that card company too. (cease & desist)

then, i'd look to getting a lawyer. you need to be watermarking your photos at the very least. If it were me, though... LOL.. i'd be setting myself up for selling my photos and getting royalties!

good luck.

beautiful pic, btw. :D

Your problem is much larger than this one company.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZiuxPAzrJFuSj_1ypb1LXU2BYmgWSD1ztRYjoUwtjmp9QlNp42iwnexYNMFvaVwRUmixHm4YyqCn4DkfzaUwIQQ3Mde3pEJvqY2x9h2qpQm_1gPOQe7YqfUyn3lo4dJIF2A_1DQ2ew0oH8IBHKkr5QAaRdUq3VGFQB6E2-Ts7lCKoEPo1sZnsjqoDglYwIYbNVPnIOFwtBvXRLrUGK6o02dDkxP4Y0eqV8Gt5duD0davWWV2aduxv31jT7HexmCY6c5b04PzxIlSvLW2rk7MvtihPGGgWE1ylwJ6hOZcUfJAOLYIHEBujH2HIlfoOf7K39XB2kvij2HAO8a_1ElvdfmOG2MRzuOFdUUpVe29HM82R21_1AbslHdLNzPcP6J9OznXUWzaj2mktDdNE66RAFqr2JfM4YV8cx175K84b3Y7ZRjy6CiKhDBt21nqsd_11K2dnrPEYlKwO-BNtTbFJrVH56D5tWjibegwBceZaWGV1F_1wrwFoipvL7I1L-jJPURCUZuwfrjvtoMzg6Yw4eXWK6X2gIqhAG13K9EDG1-mw5hAabvkN7QQtcbwZlld0tALpI51-vCvBd3pxSxgjpkaMg8s_1SO1EuwZNL39TXNzKI-A6AA71ZaxRuazzq-XzA7z2E3ObSor5HvEHZLZM0JBqp5h7SSPwjivEuR5Hfau7KK_18GnrO-O2jA9iQDVtZqtdZDEJhv9Qsa7nwFbTn-kRJsFFJgy9ibQHNL6EECv_1bA98GO2qjrLvZc2g0cbyFt2tdTMrLyN4RoMdAs8XmYSe1lu0bO1R7Qb0KJrSUPQGssUowr3JGf-e2386bnuG1iSTx_1qRR4h2fdhErUTqqPOn-8qirPiabfiGy61_1HBmg85IvAto7nq5ZhalPaxcHIQMu8BON5MOuTCknPZONeKSGBbvmhl3pCnsJm9x1AmGx8WAaEscAap3xvHdItHBvl1XY2B6puCiOHRG4gxHOjyPKEPJrAIVcil-P07YsQGqkFxsAFxtoJHrC6aGFQQ7OzFyK89Rbx_1yDjBDCMQPkoiN3qxdqMLC9Z2OwTznyD9WHAwmhN5JymuXMzmBE9mm65VKN4cjTDeknMDZ6OqrgXggWrOiKvq0yE24VByam9Hd51DCNpuwMrhdQirsi5bo6nWqvhLKk0lIsQwyugHWslbriHMM-8k8jXPYjTZaPkHJYNwPgv3n16_1PBXJtfK5NBcBX_1Tcdh_1d93IGwStoUWwEM93oGc-6nlRFtWkboQwRZby7qkE9C8Z2XETr0BxhBtgKNc7iRtShy7aUCwqubvcvzH8koRdT0jsqKS_17P9_1a3vEgLvVYbYMns8Nz7Zgfe4sD93Gro1zTGUczAmYRMGj9Gxh_1NLf2kOMoGiA&num=10&hl=en&newwindow=1&bih=929&biw=1474

My dd is a Photography major in college (graduating this summer!!!).

They covered this same topic recently in her portfolio class... apparently this has happened to a professor as well as a former student-- they both received a nice compensation...

The FIRST thing to do is to immediately copy write the image. You can do this fairly quickly online-- they charge per download-- so if you have other favorite images put them on as well...

The second step is to find a lawyer... it should not be hard to find one for a case like this!

Good luck-- this is my dd's worst nightmare and why her watermark is elaborate!

I just googled "dancing with daddy photo" and it's the very first image that comes up in Google images. No wonder it's all over the place....

OP - I'm sorry... It's a beautiful photo. I hope you're able to work things out somehow, at least with the larger companies that are using it.

My dd is a Photography major in college (graduating this summer!!!).

They covered this same topic recently in her portfolio class... apparently this has happened to a professor as well as a former student-- they both received a nice compensation...

The FIRST thing to do is to immediately copy write the image. You can do this fairly quickly online-- they charge per download-- so if you have other favorite images put them on as well...

The second step is to find a lawyer... it should not be hard to find one for a case like this!

Good luck-- this is my dd's worst nightmare and why her watermark is elaborate!

It was clearly posted "All Rights Reserved" on Flickr. I'm not sure about her other site.

You need to consider registering your photos (you can do whole sets at a time) and watermarking them.

Since you uploaded it to a photography website? Someone from there (or someone browsing the site) likely stole it and uploaded it to one of those online stock photo companies that pay you per use.

You can file a DMCA complaint with Facebook or the ISP of any site using the photo, but it might be a losing battle at this point. Take a look at this story for a look at why it becomes so difficult:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/06/funnyjunk-vs-the-oatmeal/