Menu

Has this forum strayed from its Classical roots?

LisaNY

I used to post more frequently on the old boards because:  

1. 1. I used to post more frequently on the old boards because:

• They were more Classical
    • I prefer the old format
    • I had more time
    • Other

I absolutely detested the old boards and rarely posted because it was so hard to find out what I needed. I also don't frequent email groups for the same way.
:iagree: I hardly posted on the old boards. I know many miss it, but I disliked having to scan through all the chit chat. Now chatting can still be done but is limited to individual threads I can easily skip over.

Well, there aren't tons of votes or replies here, but there sure are a lot of people looking at this thread - 1,355 last I checked! I guess there are a lot of lurkers very interested in this topic.??

Well, there aren't a lot of options for those who post MORE now :001_smile:

Bill

I'm probably guilty of this, but for some reason I feel guilty making a short response like "thank you" that just moves the post back up to the top when, in most cases of my posts, there is very little interest in the thread. As I move the post back up, some else's more important post gets moved *down* the page. Just a strange guilt thing I guess :-). I should probably just PM or give rep except that I usually forget to sign my rep :-(. Maybe we can have an exemption for those who have brains over 45 years old? :tongue_smilie:

The reason I did not leave an option for those who post MORE now, is because I was specifically focusing on those who are posting LESS, and possible reasons why.

I am happy to hear that there are folks out there actually posting more here than there. It is encouraging. :001_smile:

I'm probably guilty of this, but for some reason I feel guilty making a short response like "thank you" that just moves the post back up to the top when, in most cases of my posts, there is very little interest in the thread. As I move the post back up, some else's more important post gets moved *down* the page. Just a strange guilt thing I guess :-). I should probably just PM or give rep except that I usually forget to sign my rep :-(. Maybe we can have an exemption for those who have brains over 45 years old? :tongue_smilie:

I posted in the *other* "poll" thread, that I could memorize exactly where my favorite threads were in the other format (You know: Scroll past all the Wordless Wednesdays - keep scrolling - keep scrolling - lots of Wordless Wednesdays - past the MUS, ah, there it is! - Ok - I just realized, the *one* thing I like better about the new board is....I don't have to scroll past all the Wordless Wednesday posts - LOL! Sorry, WW people - I mean no offense, I just don't have the time!)

But, I agree, a quick TY seems like a cry for attention almost when the whole board gets re-arranged for it. (But then, the way the posts jump around now reminds me of my 10yo on WAY too much caffeine!)

Maybe an "over-40" board???

:001_smile:

Martha, thank you for sharing that.

I know what you mean by being able to pick up where you left off with the old boards. I do miss that. What kind of makes up for it is the way that the boards continue and don't keep changing when the board gets "full". I also like how posts are saved here, and you can do a search of ALL threads. I didn't find it that easy to do with the other boards.

You do get lost when a few days go by and you haven't checked the boards. You really have to check in often to keep up with things here. :001_smile:

Do you mean poll options? I just meant that the thread title LisaNY used is obviously catching people's eyes for some reason.

Yes, I meant poll options. I had no option that applied. They all pre-supposed we post less.

As to the forum "straying from it's Classical roots" I have thoughts on the matter, but I haven't yet formulated the best way to express them...so for now I'll restrain myself.

Bill

Martha, thank you for sharing that.

You do get lost when a few days go by and you haven't checked the boards. You really have to check in often to keep up with things here. :001_smile:

One thing that is making me like these new boards is having DSL now for a whole two weeks! Navigating a forum like this using dial-up can be tedious.

I used to frequent this board quite a bit. As my son got older I spent more time on the hs board. It was about that time that I decided that I had to spend less time pondering and doing curriculum planning and spend more time implementing. In the days when I used to participate more on this board there always seemed to be a few people who were quick to take offense and start bicker threads over nothing. Occasional misunderstandings are one thing, but with some folks there was a definite pattern. Then, too, this medium is in some ways not well suited to in-depth philosophical discussions. IMO, the inability to pick up on non verbal cues makes things...ummm...shall we say difficult at times?

If I had a clue of how to do it, though, I owe you a rep for your helpful posts about Lingua Latina. It's made Latin so much more enjoyable.

If I had a clue of how to do it, though, I owe you a rep for your helpful posts about Lingua Latina. It's made Latin so much more enjoyable.

Martha, I am so happy that my LL posts were helpful to you. It is great to be able to return the favor, since I have always found your posts to be very helpful. :001_smile:

But I hardly post at all anymore (maybe this is post #5?). Frankly, it's too time consuming (my opinion) to log in and sort through every day. I loved being able to scan and pick up where I left off. Old habits die hard.:)

I do love the advanced search feature, through. I use it when I've got a specific question about a book or program. But, sadly, no longer for curriculum chit-chat.

Not too concerned about classical vs. not-so-classical.

Mostly lurking now!

Lisa

I probably post less but I didn't answer the poll because it doesn't seem like a relevent question for me. I post less because the new format means I don't get so sucked into discussions that are enticingly inflammatory, or plain interesting, but just not relevent to me. It's nothing to do with the classic or not classic issue.

I learned a lot about the whole "what's classical" issue way back when LCC first came out, I read Climbing Parnassus, and I think i got a good feel for what it all means, and after diving right for the more pure "classic", I ended up backing off into what works for my family. So I don't really care what other people think is classic anymore. TWTM recommends plenty of curricula that can be used in many contexts apart from a classic or neoclassic context, and so these boards reflect that.

Its all good.

So I don't really care what other people think is classic anymore. TWTM recommends plenty of curricula that can be used in many contexts apart from a classic or neoclassic context, and so these boards reflect that.

Its all good.

:iagree: w/ Peela

I used to post more frequently on the old boards because I had more time. When I started DS was 2. Now he's almost 11 and I have two others. We're busy all the time and I actually use my spare time for things like folding laundry and school planning.

I'm not sure that I would say the boards are less classical than they used to be, but there are more flavors of classical education represented than in the beginning.

:lurk5:

I like these news boards much better. The format took a while to get used to, but it is easier & faster to use, more fun and more civil. I feel more comfortable in the new atmosphere.

I like the wide variety of opinions and experiences shared here. I learn so much from the diversity of educators.

Perhaps it's not as "classical". But if so, that's ok with me. "Classical" is a chameleon term defined by each family for itself, I often find.

I'm trying to teach my dc in the way that's most effective. I find I need to be flexible and what works from year to year is not always the same even for the same kid.

I have learned a lot from the WTM techniques and suggestions and have gained condfidence in my ability to teach. The board's support and encourgement in these endeavors is still going strong, imo.:001_smile:

I'm preparing to homeschool my one and only ds starting w/preschool this fall. I plan on using the classical method in our homeschool journey so I've been researching, researching, and researching all sorts of curriculum for preschool and beyond. That said, this forum has been a wealth of knowledge for the classical approach... as well as homeschooling in general. I am so thankful for this resource and all of you who contribute your wisdom. I need all the help I can get since my journey is just beginning and I still have oh so many questions. I love TWTM forum!

Thank you and God Bless,

Melissa

I agree that is where the rep comes in. I try to give rep when someone takes the time to thoughtfully answer a question I had. Which means, not everyone else knows I replied to that person. And of course, there are times when things get lost, someone replies later in a post that you sent days ago, and think has passed into oblivion, and don't realize there is a recent reply to it :)

I do agree about the atmosphere thing, there seem to be fewer nasty little cat fights on this board, since it is not so obvious when a fight is occuring, and people don't see it to add their 2 cents :) I do like that, as those got really old on the other board. Also, people don't seem to flame you as bad here (or maybe I am just missing it :) )

I've found that I use this new board more often as it seems to be easier to use. I like the search functions and another feature I like is being able to subscribe to a thread. If you click the "thread tools" button, you can click on subscribe to thread. It gives a few options, but you will automatically get an email when someone posts to the threads you subscribe to. That makes it easier for me to follow threads I'm interested in.

I read WTM when my daughter was an infant and knew we'd homeschool, but we've been busy painting, going to the zoo, and making cookies, so I didn't really pay attention to much beside that.

Then this spring when I started planning first grade, I reread WTM and then discovered these forums. I almost can not overemphasize what a benefit this forum has been to me just in the few months I have been hanging out here. I've never seen the old forums and have no point of comparison, but this has been an amazing source of inspiration and ideas and practical support. I think it's amazing that PHP provides this resource and appreciate all the wise hs moms and dads that share their experience and insight.

If you click the "thread tools" button, you can click on subscribe to thread. It gives a few options, but you will automatically get an email when someone posts to the threads you subscribe to. That makes it easier for me to follow threads I'm interested in.

This is exactly what I do to keep up with/find threads I want to follow...subscribe. Shoot, I have over 200 subscriptions! LOL

Is there a way to request that they create separate forums for the grammar, logic, and rhetoric stages?

Tara

Well, they do have the high school board for rhetoric. But further dividing grammar and logic is not as desirable, to me, as it may first seem for a couple of reasons. First off, many people have children in both stages, so they would be visiting both boards anyway. I also found that when my daughter was entering the logic stage, I started looking at the high school board more, to try to get an idea of where I'm headed. I think even if there were separate grammar and logic boards, many people would end up going to both, and somewhat defeating the purpose. I always appreciated seeing posts from logic-stage parents even when my daughter was only in grammar stage, because even though I didn't read those threads thoroughly, it started putting ideas in my head. So when it came time for logic stage, I already had ideas about several curricula I was interested in, as well as ideas about things to expect during the logic stage.

Of course, no matter how they divide or don't divide these forums, I'll still be here every day, checking out the latest in homeschool products and ideologies. :D

I see what you are saying, Genie. As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, I wish that there was some sort of separate "nuts and bolts, daily nitty-gritty" forum because the curriculum forum seems to be just about curriculum and the general board seems to be just about everything other than homeschooling.

Tara :)

(((Cynthia))) I'm sorry if my post made you feel bad.

Oh, no! You didn't make me feel bad. I've just been in a quandary over whether to say "thank you" and bump something up that didn't need to be moved to the top or just ignore it and hope the responders didn't feel overlooked. I think the rep system will work well for this. And one of the problems is that sometimes I don't take the time to search my older threads to see if there has been additional responses. I found a very late one once and felt badly that I hadn't acknowledged it.

I do like some aspects of this type of forum, but this is the main problem I have with it. I haven't utilized the "subscribe to this thread" thingy yet so maybe that will help keep tract of threads, too.

I wonder if it would make sense to create more sub-formum for curricula. Say, under the K-8 curricula board, create folders for math, english, history, ancient languages, modern foreign languages, etc. Of course, keep the overall K-8 Curricula board for general or multi-suject posts. . .

I think the fast turnover of topics is just due to the large volume of traffic on a small screen. . . The old forums were easier somehow to scroll down for that topic I was reading a day ago b/c it was all still in the same order. . . Separating out the subjects would slow down the turnover and emphasize the curricula/content issues by having named boards. . .

FWIW, I love the boards and these new ones are mighty pretty, but I probably got more out of the old ones b/c they were more substantive in a way. (maybe b/c they were so ugly noone who isn't a curricula-junkie could stand them?) ;)

I bet there will be a TWTM "revival" after the new edition comes out.

That will be nice! It bothers me that there are many posters who do not seem to follow TWTM, whether they are classical, CM, traditional, etc.

I wish that there was some sort of separate "nuts and bolts, daily nitty-gritty" forum because the curriculum forum seems to be just about curriculum and the general board seems to be just about everything other than homeschooling.

This is a problem too, it is nearly impossible to get general homeschooling questions answered. They are ignored on the general board because many posters don't even go there.

Overall, the new boards are easier to use and their are less "cat fights".:lol:

Oh, no! You didn't make me feel bad. I've just been in a quandary over whether to say "thank you" and bump something up that didn't need to be moved to the top or just ignore it and hope the responders didn't feel overlooked. I think the rep system will work well for this. And one of the problems is that sometimes I don't take the time to search my older threads to see if there has been additional responses. I found a very late one once and felt badly that I hadn't acknowledged it.

I do like some aspects of this type of forum, but this is the main problem I have with it. I haven't utilized the "subscribe to this thread" thingy yet so maybe that will help keep tract of threads, too.

I know what you mean, Cynthia. The threads can get buried and forgotten.