Menu

If you're a landlord...

If you're a landlord, do you allow pets in your rental home(s)? We are currently renting out our home which has a nice-sized yard and we have not allowed pets at all. Do you think this is a good or bad idea? If you do allow pets, can you explain the effect on your home owner's insurance? Have you had a lot of damage to repair?

Our property manager told us that 60% of renters have pets, so you might have a better chance of attracting renters. However, he also said that small dogs do the most damage because they are more likely to pee inside. We have a backyard and dog door, but lucked out and got renters without a pet.

Our house rented super fast, so in the future we'll try to say no pets. You just don't know what kind of pet owners people are going to be and our house is only 6 years old.

However, I would take an older couple with a dog, with good references, over a pet less family with several small children. Lesser evils, you know? Sounds harsh, but my house, my rules. :)

Oh, and our homeowners insurance has never asked us about pets. That was not one of the questions we were asked when we switched to a landlord policy.

Damage- our agent told us to change a flat, non-refundable fee of about $250 just for the extra cleaning you'll have to do, then the damage comes out of their deposit. We are now renting and have a dog and this seems to be pretty standard.

We have awesome renters and an awesome rental agency. We live too far away to manage it on our own and our agent happens to live a block away, so it's perfect.

Yes, we do. Our insurance requires certain breeds not be there (viscous breeds), but otherwise we charge a non-refundable one time fee of $100 per pet and then get to charge more monthly (our standard rent with or without pets - we're a little bit higher than average) because so many other places say, "no pets." We also require the pets to be on monthly flea treatment.

Our places rent quickly and we've never had a pet problem.

Being a pet person myself, I don't mind if others have the same enjoyment.

Don't do it! We are renters and last year there was a large house we wanted to see but the showing agent refused b/c she said the man had pets and the house STUNK. Well, it's up for rent again and I asked to see it b/c I was told it had new carpets and such put in. The current renter was to have no pets.

The house still stinks. It's AWFUL. If the current renter had pets it would explain it. If not, it means they need to take out the floorboards to rid of the smell. A restoration company did the work last year......but at this point no one knows for sure if it's the old smell coming through or if it's new pet smell from illegal dogs.

I get people have pets but I bet you would be replacing carpet after every renter. We had one place go behind with a black light to look for pee. We had a dog that rental but my water had broke while pregnant. We were charged a pet cleaning fee, :001_huh::lol::tongue_smilie:, but it wasn't our dog... ;)

Good luck deciding. It can't be easy knowing you are ruling out a lot of people, but it seems the houses with pets are always more run down than the ones who don't allow them.

From a renter's standpoint :D

We allowed pets, but only one room was carpeted. We charged a pet deposit equal to one months rent, plus the security deposit. We needed new carpet and some repairs, the dis not get any deposit back.

Our other option was to charge a.small deposit and extra rent each month.

We have only rented 3 places (about to be 4) with our pets and 2 of the soon to be 4, charged us additional for our pets on our rent. At the one apartment it was $25 PER pet + $100 additional deposit and here, its $25 additional on our rent no matter what. The other 2 places didnt charge extra.

Many rentals around here have restrictions. Small Dogs, cats only, no more than 2 more dogs, additional fees.

I think IF the new renter could show proof they are a responsible dog owner (proof of spay/neuter, landlord letter, etc) then you could rent to them. I would have no issue showing a new landlord any of that :)

but I bet you would be replacing carpet after every renter.

We've had our rentals since 2006 (new carpet when we bought them) and haven't had to change carpet since due to pets (had to once due to kids and paint...). We do steam clean between renters, but we'd do that with or without pets.

I tell prospective renters that only small pets are allowed with a $300 non-refundable pet deposit. I am picky though. Pets do pee on carpets, and once they start peeing they don't stop. It gets into the floor boards and it's really really hard to get that smell out.

If it is YOUR house that you are renting and it's not a permanent rental I would NOT allow pets. No way.

We do not allow pets. My cousin, who owns multiple rentals, advised against it.

He pointed out that the fluids can get into the subfloor, which is impossible to clean.

We just wait until we find someone who wants to rent it who does not have pets.

Our lease includes a clause that says that if they do have pets in the house that cause damage, any costs required to remove the stains and odors that exceed the security deposit will be charged. They initial this clause, the no-pet clause, and the no-smoking clause.

We allow dogs because, honestly, where we live - if you have a yard - pretty much everyone has a dog. I charge $250 non-refundable for the first dog and $100 for the second. We only accept two total. In my 5 years of doing this, I have found it is a crap shoot... you can screen and do all your homework and end up with a bad renter. I just sort of threw my hands up and approved this young couple a few months back. I couldn't get an unbiased rental reference because they had been renting from the man's dad. Their income was a bit iffy. They have paid their rent on the 1st in cash and my dh has been in the house to fix a sink and said it was immaculate. Last year I rented to a "perfect" on paper couple. The man went on a business trip and his wife moved out on him. Broke the lease, left painting to be done and carpet damage from a... ferret! So - it is so hard to tell. I just know that most people around here have dogs.

I"m no longer a landlord, but when I was, we allowed small pets (cats and small dog breeds as well as "pocket pets"). We found that our renters with pets were some of our most responsible renters. For some reason, they were the ones who paid the rent on time and left the place in relatively good condition when they left. It does make it easier to rent too because people who love their animals will not give them up for a rental house or apartment. My son's girlfriend is looking for an apartment near the school where she teaches and she immediately crossed off any apartment that won't take her two cats.

We allowed pets that our current tenants got after they moved in. We charged a $500 pet deposit and $50 additional per month. The rent is $1495 + that extra $50. My dh was just over at the house to look around and replace a shelf in the fridge that had been backordered for weeks. He said everything looks nice and nothing smells bad. We decided to charge a larger amount because we know it will be expensive to fix if there are damages or extensive cleaning to be done.

Landlords here, but our property's are managed by property managers and we have had pets in both of the homes. Currently one of homes signed a no pet clause, but over the 5 years they rented, they ende dup with a cat they didn't feel the need to tell us about.

$300.00 non refundable pet deposit on top of the damage deposit is our standard policy.

One thing you may not have thought of is aquariums. We have a house with hard wood floors that had water damage when the aquarium broke.

If you're a landlord, do you allow pets in your rental home(s)? We are currently renting out our home which has a nice-sized yard and we have not allowed pets at all. Do you think this is a good or bad idea? If you do allow pets, can you explain the effect on your home owner's insurance? Have you had a lot of damage to repair?

I almost never accept pets and have been doing this 11 years. Three times over those 11 years I accepted labs who were 8 years old. This worked better in a rental with hardwoods than with carpet. Pets make carpet nasty, no matter how clean they are kept. There will still be hair and odor. Never take puppies or young, high energy dogs. Old dogs who sit like statues are a maybe for me.

Never, ever, ever allow cats. Cat urine, like roaches, is the one thing that will survive the apocalypse. I have one house where cats lived a decade ago. On a hot day, you can still smell urine in one bath! Everything has been replaced and repainted. Cat urine will require removal of carpeting, pad, and resealing of the floors if that cat ever marks its territory.

So while I have not cleaned up major damage, except in the cat house (which I purchased that way, out of inexperience), there is still more cleaning and odor removal involved where pets have been in residence. Older, calm stable dogs increase your chances of a successful pet resident, but the best result is no pets at all, which I strongly prefer. All things being equal with credit, references, etc...I will choose the no-pet family.

natnclay:

However, I would take an older couple with a dog, with good references, over a pet less family with several small children. Lesser evils, you know? Sounds harsh, but my house, my rules. :)

Just pointing out that it is illegal to discriminate against familial status (presence of children) under federal housing law under Title VII. This cannot be a factor in your decision. However, you can discriminate for any other non-discriminatory reasons - credit, criminal history, presence of pets, smoking, length of time on job. Anything but the protected categories.

We own 2 rental houses and we do not allow pets. I don't care if you have the nicest dog or cat in town, accidents happen and accidents cause smelly carpets! Heck...I can't even convince my DH to let me have an outside dog and we live on an acre:tongue_smilie:.

I suggest either way that you have the floors painted before carpeting next time. It's a special paint, we got ours at Sherwin Williams, I believe. You just roll it on and it prevents smells from coming up through the floors. It also makes it so the floors are not previously "marked" ;) I would not allow the small dog thing, and would be careful. I mean.... I didn't leave my dog in the house by himself for the first 3 years we had him because of being careful, but when I was in my 20's and had my first apartment with a room mate.... Darn... poor landlords...

We allow pets because of the size of the un-landscaped back yard. There is pergo throughout the house, with carpet only int he bedrooms. Before the current tenant moved in we replaced the carpets and managed to do all three bedrooms for less than $600. The current tenants have 2 dogs and 2 cats. We were there a couple weeks ago replacing the water softener and the house looked great. I noticed a large wooden kennel in the living room and found out that the dogs are not allowed in the bedrooms AT ALL and they sleep crated at night. I can honestly say I swooned! In the past, we did have one tenant who trashed the place, but he didn't even have pets.

I am a property manager and I own quite a bit of rental property. We allow pets and get a pet deposit. My family has done more damage to my home than my pets! I have a fantastic renter right now who is a single mom with 2 gigantic dogs. I WANT her to have those dogs, she is safer that way. She is a great person to have in that house and she certainly makes that neighborhood a better place. I did recently have some trouble getting her house treated for termites because my bug guy was so afraid of the dogs. I didn't blame him a bit. I hope the dogs scare a lot of people. ;)

I think if you have rental property, you just have to get used to the idea of making repairs and having things replaced. Don't take it personally when there is damage or a terrible renter. Just understand that it is what it is and solve any problems that pop up.

I would think this is one of those things that really just depends on the renter.

I have a dog but she NEVER has accidents and we crate her at night and when we are gone. I will not let a dog ruin my house. That is just nuts.

I have seen rentals that were near destroyed due to uncontrolled pets.

I have also seen rentals near destroyed with no pets. Or kids.

Dh and I have looked at houses to rent in the new city....so many say no pets.

As a previous renter, I haven't had a problem with my pet- a female fixed cat. Most of the land-lords required a recommendation (cat has moved a lot with us), and her vet records. We even had some that as required us to bring her to the showing to judge her reactions and how we handle her. I think pet policies should be based on the individual pet and it's owners.

As a previous renter, I haven't had a problem with my pet- a female fixed cat. Most of the land-lords required a recommendation (cat has moved a lot with us), and her vet records. We even had some that as required us to bring her to the showing to judge her reactions and how we handle her. I think pet policies should be based on the individual pet.

Me too!!!!

I have a friend who is in the rental business....he judges prospective tenants by how clean or dirty their car is! He peeks inside to see if it is filled with trash and food.

Me too!!!!

I have a friend who is in the rental business....he judges prospective tenants by how clean or dirty their car is! He peeks inside to see if it is filled with trash and food.

Oh goodness... I would fail that test. My house is pretty neat and organized - my van is a whole different story!