Menu

Modern/pop/country music for teens?

Hi,

I couldn't think of a better title. LOL!

Recently, dd13 asked if I could put some fun, upbeat music on her iPod. I grew up listening to Madonna, Duran Duran, Bon Jovi, etc. and draw a complete blank when it comes to "clean" lyrics. Yikes!

Can you help me come up with a list of "clean" modern/pop/country/80's-90's music?

Thank you!!

We have an "oldies" station here that plays stuff from the 80's and 90's.

If you want more modern stuff, I guess Taylor Swift?

NSync, BackStreet Boys, 98 Degrees, Jessica Simpson, older Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Ace of Base...

Not exactly sure how "clean" those are for your standards.

:bigear:

Boy, it's difficult for me, since I don't listen to pop anymore.

Dd likes Taylor Swift, but I always feel I have to remind her that there will be no sneaking out and meeting your boyfriend in the rain around here...:D There seems to be a lot of songs by her that involve some sort of mildly forbidden aspect to the relationship. Sigh.

There's lots of good country, but also a lot that involves affairs, beer, and ohbabyyouaresuchasexywifeIloveyouandohalsomycountrygodblesstheusa....which is generally ok by me, but geez, for a 12yo?

But it's catchy.

It's a lot better, imo, than what we heard blasting out of a car at the gas station yesterday; the lyrics were literally about "hos in the house who want to f**k."

I know she is a little past your time period, but I have not found anything remotely objectionable about any of the Taylor Swift cd Fearless. My girls really, really like her, and I am very particular about what they listen to. So far besides contemporary christian artists, I bought TS Fearless cd and Owl City the first cd (cant remember it's name) There is also a christian hiphop artist whose songs are not "preachy" Toby Mac, that my kids love to rock out to when we are cleaning house.

What I do for my DD is to look at the track lists for "Kids Bop". Most of the time, the full versions by the original singers aren't objectionable, either (I listen to them on Spotify first).

I don't know, it was years ago, but I remember a kid's bop commercial where the kids were singing a song about how he didn't mind her wearing a ring, as long as nobody knows than nobody will care. UM???? Hello? Kids singing a song about adultery?????

OH, but there is a great country song right now about "just a kiss", about how he doesn't want to mess things up by going too far, and will just leave with a goodnight kiss. (the same band has a song about a midnight drunk booty call, so I wouldn't get the whole album).

Clint Black

Collin Raye

George Strait

Lila McCann

Neal McCoy (No Doubt About It CD)

Vince Gill

Beach Boys

Phil Collins

Lee Greenwood

Not everything by each singer is good but there are lots of good things to choose from these guys. There are tons of other songs that can be added but that could take lots of time.

OH, but there is a great country song right now about "just a kiss", about how he doesn't want to mess things up by going too far, and will just leave with a goodnight kiss. (the same band has a song about a midnight drunk booty call, so I wouldn't get the whole album).

It's by Lady Antebellum. I love that song!

I can't come up with a title specifically other than look at the songs GLEE does. Most of them are clean imo so then you could just get the original aritists. We mostly listen to country here just because that is all they play on the radio here and when the songs get particularily unclean (for country) we make fun of them. THen again some of those songs are the best, my 4 yr old loves red solo cup, dd12 loves that one where the girlfriend gets revenge on her cheating ex by carving up his car etc.

Look into the christian groups too. Not worship music, but there is many good rock,rap,metal,pop etc christian groups that even while their beat is hard the lyrics are still clean and all about Jesus, good life etc. When we lived in the city we had a christian station on the radio and we all loved it. All week was a mixture of worship and fun christian songs. Friday night and Saturday they played the "hard" stuff. Sunday morning was full on worship.

I can't remember all the groups we used to listen to but SKillet is pretty good.

Here's a few of the artists my 12 yr dd has on her iPod...

Taylor Swift

Adele

Selena Gomez

Demi Lavato

Aly & AJ

Colbie Caillat

Jack Johnson

Cyndi Lauper

Miranda Lambert

I'll second all of these! DD13's ipod looks very similar.

Also checkout the soundtrack to a movie called Lemonade Mouth...all the songs are good. (Movie not too bad either)

I'll second all of these! DD13's ipod looks very similar.

Also checkout the soundtrack to a movie called Lemonade Mouth...all the songs are good. (Movie not too bad either)

Yeah, we loved Lemonade Mouth around here. One Direction (the boy band) is pretty good and hot right now.

Maybe you can listen here and pick some of the ones she likes.

Oh, and maybe add Kelly Clarkson to the list above.

Huh. My kids listen to what I grew up listening to. Right now, in the car, we have Jack Johnson, Talking Heads, Susan Tedeschi, the Police and the Who. They also like Madonna, the Pretenders, Fleetwood Mac, REM, Depeche Mode, Boston, B-52s, U2... We drew the line at Dead Kennedys.

Wow. What a crazy looking list! :D

I like Miranda Lambert, but I am not so sure she is appropriate for every 13 year old...

Some are inappropriate, but not all of them. Dd's favorite is The House That Built Me and there is nothing inappropriate in that at all.

Some are inappropriate, but not all of them. Dd's favorite is The House That Built Me and there is nothing inappropriate in that at all.

Oh, that one is so beautiful and makes me cry every stinkin time. I imagine my son coming back here and just can't handle it! It's a great song.

Home Boy is another one, but I don't know the singer/songwriter.

Look into the christian groups too. Not worship music, but there is many good rock,rap,metal,pop etc christian groups that even while their beat is hard the lyrics are still clean and all about Jesus, good life etc. When we lived in the city we had a christian station on the radio and we all loved it. All week was a mixture of worship and fun christian songs. Friday night and Saturday they played the "hard" stuff. Sunday morning was full on worship.

I can't remember all the groups we used to listen to but SKillet is pretty good.

:iagree:

This is all we listen to at our house :001_smile: A lot of it is contemporary and upbeat, and you wouldn't know it was Christian music if you weren't listening to the lyrics.

A few of my favs: Barlow Girl, Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns, Skillet, Desciple, Toby Mac, Mercy Me, Group1Crew, Flyleaf, Fireflight....

My dd is almost 12. She has a lot of Christian pop in addition to Taylor Swift. I don't know if you would want Christian, so I will list it anyways:

Britt Nicole. Her newest one is VERY modern/pop and super fun! I love it too!

Toby Mac

Francesca Battistelli

Everlife

Jump 5

Krystal Meyers

PureNRG

Rubyz

Barlow Girl

Zoegirl

Meredith Andrews