Menu

your favorite (not so famous) curriculum

moonlight

Scott Foresman Reading-the 1998 edition. In K-2 or so, most of the stories are simply picture books, bound together, with a few comprehension questions at the end. Starting in 3rd, they're sections from novels and non-fiction books (with a few picture books still in 3rd and I believe even 4th). The workbooks are available free for download online. I got my set from my DD's former school when we left-they were cleaning out their book room, and I really credit those big colorful reading books with bridging my early reader to longer books, because she'd be introduced to characters like Ramona Quimby or Chester Cricket in the short chapters in the BIG reading books,then go to the library and bring home a stack of books by that author/about that character. The 5th grade reader ended up introducing a lot of US history before we started SL. Despite being Basal readers, they were really quite good-and well worth the price I (didn't) pay for them :).

These sound great! Do you have the titles or ISBNs for these? Also, where would I find the workbooks online? Thank you!

Jennifer

I've mentioned each of these in another thread, but...

Standard Service Arithmetics: Primary school series from the '20's. We use it in tandem with our math curriculum. Teaches students to crunch fairly large numbers with speed and accuracy, without having to write much down.

Open University S103 (now replaced with a different course number). British secular general science curriculum. Mathematics needed for science is incorporated into the program. For Sixth Form level, but my middle schooler used it successfully.

Perrine's Sound and Sense. Made my high schooler a lover of poetry who really understood what was going on in a poem. I prefer the older editions when Perrine was the only editor. I wanted MCT's poetry book to be a version of Perrine for younger children, but it wasn't.

Scribner School Paperbacks (sometimes listed as Scribner School Editions). Significant literature with close-reading-based study guides that teach literary understanding and vocabulary, with good writing assignments for each chapter. Out of print since the 1960's, almost impossible to find - I had to obtain the Wind in the Willows edition through university interlibrary loan. (I am still trying to format & compress the study guide so as to be able to pass it on to others who are interested in it.)

The disadvantage to these curricula is that there is no answer key or teacher's guide to them (except the OU science, which has answers for each chapter's questions in the back).

We used the bolded with great success this year for my dds in 8th grade; it was pleasantly non-jargony, yet still covered a lot of material in depth. Highly recommended. :001_smile:

I really love Michel Thomas language tapes. We use the Egyptian Arabic and my kids love it. It's a British program, and I had never heard of it.

Rosetta Stone is useless for Arabic IMHO, because it's all MSA--which nobody speaks. Also, the general way Rosetta Stone works didn't really work for my kids. They assume really good fluent level of reading Arabic, which most people don't have as beginners.

We tried Pimsleur too--but the phrases weren't as useful--and the lessons didn't have the explanation associated with them.

With Michel Thomas, within 10-15 minutes my kids were going around the house saying "Mumkin bizza (pizza...no "b" in Arabic)?" "Mumkin sandawich?" (May I have a pizza? May I have a sandwich?) If you say it in a questioning tone, it's May I have a.... To answer, you say it more affirmatively, "Mumkin bizza." (Yes, you may have a pizza.)

I can't speak for the other languages, but we love their Arabic program! Each lesson is maybe 3-5 minutes...so you can do one or more per day. They have two instructors, both who are pretty famous in the "teaching Arabic to English-speaking students"-world, the duo Jane Wightwick and Mahmoud Gaafar.

http://www.michelthomas.com/learn-arabic.php

Not really a curriculum, but there are a set of math activity books written by Kathy Richardson. As in, they are books of activities for teachers to use in the classroom with manipulatives, not a workbook thing for kids to use. I've been using them since my kids were in Pre-K and they make hands-on math SO much fun. My kids zoom through their math books because we learned so many number concepts when they were younger. And they just always ask to play math games. I rarely have to "teach" them any math, we just play and learn.

This looks cool. How do you use it? I looked at the samples and they look right up my our alley :lol:

We just read a word (or 2-3) a day depending on the kid. I give them a note card and have them do whatever will help them remember the word (a picture, poem-- whatever on one side and the other side they write the word, the cartoon and use it in a funny sentence similar as the cartoon already does. Its been great for their retention! 2-3 times a month I will quiz them over their cards.

Not completely unknown but we love the Jensen's books. They look so dry to me but my daughter has worked through Punctuation, is doing Vocabulary and will likely be tackling Grammar and Format Writing next year. They're clear, no-nonsense books - just what she loves.

Sara Stein, "The Science Book," and "The Evolution Book."

Mona McNee, "Reading Step by Step."

Some fun Latin stuff: Norma Goldman & Jacob Nyenhuis, "Latin via Ovid;" Rose Williams, "The Young Romans;" and Dorothy MacLaren and Constance Carrier, "Esopus Hodie" (in two volumes, available from the American Classical League).

I see these mentioned occasionally, but not as often as they might be: "Complete-a-Sketch" series from Insight Technical Education (they also have a "Practical Drafting Workbook" I've got in my sights for later on).

How could I forget those? we have all 3 and the kids love them

Creek Edge Press task cards. We can use anything we want, tweak them however we want, and make them fit my kid perfectly.

:iagree:

I really like the cards too and even my young first grader was able to use them to complete tasks. I had to be more involved and we did not use it as our spine program but I liked the ideas on the cards of the sets I bought and I can tell that even though the program looks simple that an awful lot of time and energy went into creating each set. I also like that children can focus their time intently on tasks that specifically interest them so it is independent learning for children with guideposts along the way.

We are going to use the Life Science Cards in conjunction with NOEO Bio I next year for my 2nd grader.

We just started using JUMP Math and so far I really like it. Teacher's guides are available for free online. I suggest using the Classroom edition, as opposed to the At Home edition.

http://jumpmath1.org/order_publications

:iagree: I never thought of it is a not famous curriculum because I am in Canada so many here use it. That said it is the first time in a long time my kids are exjoying math. We are working through the fractions unit right now and the other day my math hating 13 yr old called it his easy math.

Perrine's Sound and Sense. Made my high schooler a lover of poetry who really understood what was going on in a poem. I prefer the older editions when Perrine was the only editor. I wanted MCT's poetry book to be a version of Perrine for younger children, but it wasn't.

I am almost positive this was my textbook when I was in AP English.