Menu

How do you.....

I've spent three years homeschooling with no library at all, with just the books we could bring in a few suitcases. The only solution I have is to make sure you have a great Internet connection. That makes all the difference for us. I can find a way to work around a lot of things when I have the Internet.

You might look into ebooks. It's becoming easier to borrow books from a wider variety of places- you don't just have to rely on your local public library.

This is our fifth year of hs'ing, and we haven't used the library either. If we want to go there, we have to pay out the nose because we're not within the city limits so I've gotten used to living with no library. But really, with the Internet's resources and Amazon we've done just fine.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I had a feeling everyone's answer would be ebooks lol. I dread them but that is more because I work from home staring at my computer so when I go to read aloud I want a book in my hands. So it looks like I will have to buckle down and buy what we need. It will be cheaper than getting an out of county library card and driving an hour and a half one way every few weeks.

survive with a crappy, crappy, crappy library? Please I need all the tips I can get on surviving this craziness called homeschooling with the world's worst library.

I'm trying very hard not to argue with you about who has the world's worst library. ;)

We take a multi-pronged approach. I buy used books at yard sales and thrift stores, and new books for birthdays and holidays. I think a lot of homeschoolers must give books to thrift stores, we've made some amazing purchases there.

Also our teeny tiny, really crappy library is part of a countywide system that does have a little more variety, so we use the online catalog to request books to be delivered to our branch.

As a last resort, I order books that I want from Rainbow Resource as part of my yearly curriculum order. It helps to get the free shipping. :)

How far south from Austin is South Texas (looking at your location)? You don't have to answer publically, I mean. If you're not that far (and based on where I'm located "not that far" means under a couple of hours) you could see about a City of Austin Library card. We don't live in Austin, but have these cards and they were free. CoA library is also rapidly expanding its e-book collection. Just a thought. Good luck.

I've spent three years homeschooling with no library at all, with just the books we could bring in a few suitcases. The only solution I have is to make sure you have a great Internet connection. That makes all the difference for us. I can find a way to work around a lot of things when I have the Internet.

You might look into ebooks. It's becoming easier to borrow books from a wider variety of places- you don't just have to rely on your local public library.

This. Except we're ending our 4th year of doing it.

E-books are handy; with my kindle & a prime account at amazon, I get one loan free per month from Amazon. Then I have library cards at various library systems "back home" so I can borrow e-books. Then we use the internet for a LOT instead of using the library.

Used book sales, inter-library loan, half-price books, etc. to build your home library. Ask for books for gifts. See if the next town over will allow you a library card, even if you have to pay for it, it might be worth it.

I had a feeling everyone's answer would be ebooks lol. I dread them but that is more because I work from home staring at my computer so when I go to read aloud I want a book in my hands. So it looks like I will have to buckle down and buy what we need. It will be cheaper than getting an out of county library card and driving an hour and a half one way every few weeks.

You might also look at Better World Books; they offer used books, free shipping (world wide), decent prices.

And, if you do decide on an e-reader, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. They are NOT like reading from or looking at a computer screen, at all. Truly.

About 40% of the books I want to check out at our library are officially or unofficially lost. I really don't understand it in a town our size. So, we do w/o the library mostly. But we LOVE library book sales. Most of our good, classic picture books have been found at these types of sales. I go the local sale and I went to the largest one in the state this year, too. I usually walk out with a large bag full for less than $15. I also have found some great books at the Scholastic Warehouse sale.

Sadly I am quite a ways from Austin, in fact the closest "big" city is Corpus Christi and from what I can tell the closest good library system is in San Antonio. I guess once I have core curriculum for the year in hand I will have to look and see what the best course of action is. The library here has a huge selection of twaddle but not much else. Its just sad that this library is the only non-school library in this area and it is horrible.

I'm going to assume that your user name means you are in Texas. Have you looked into getting a TexShare Card? This allows you to use any library in Texas. You just need to return books to the same library that you use get them from.

I live in an unincorporated area so don't have any library that I qualify for. I was able to get a Benbrook card - they give them to anyone and then a TexShare card from them. I was able to get a Fort Worth library through this system.

I see that you live in South Texas.......I live in Southeast Texas and our library is crappy too! It makes me crazy!

I buy a lot of used books when I can. I also ask for books from grandparents as part of holiday gifts.

It has been so very frustrating though! I can't believe that the library is such a low priority and am even more shocked that most people don't even use it here. No one cares.......so sad!!!