Menu

Buying a used mini-van- WWYD

I don't post much on this board, but I am really uncertain what is best. Any advice would be appreciated.

We are returning to the U.S. after 4 yrs. abroad. We need a van for our family. Would it be best to buy a 2008 van for around 10,000 USD (and be prepared for possible repairs) OR buy a 2011 for around 18,000 (and expect fewer repair costs)?

The background is this: My dh will be going back to school (working very part time) and our income will be limited. We have saved during these last couple of years to make sure that we have enough to live on. It isn't a huge amount but it will get us through two years of frugal living. If we spend more for a car that would mean that we have less to live on for the next two years . . . but no repair costs . . . but maybe the repair costs won't add up to 8,000 dollars anyway . . .

Obviously I am torn. Dh feels we should do the newer van, but he has told me that he wants to make this decision together. Anybody have opinions/ideas? I'm :bigear:!

I would def buy the older van for less money. We take extremely good care of our cars. We never buy new. We buy loaded vehicles usually, because the extra whistles and bells are fun and nice, and cost less when on a used vehicle. It kills me to see a newer car get banged in the parking lot, and get hurt when we camp or play too hard.....I shop hard, research hard when I buy.....2006-2008 are new enough to have great safety features, too.

Just my 2 cents worth opinion.

Maybe set aside $500 in a special fund for an emergency car repair to keep that fear resting a bit?

Edited by LBS

We always buy ±10-year-old cars for ±$5K, and we've NEVER had $8,000 in repairs in any 3-year-period (the age difference of the cars)! We take very good car of our cars and have had VERY low car expenses over the years. I personally wouldn't get the $10K car, because that's too much money, but given the choice I would absolutely get the car for $10K.

We have a 2005 Freestar sith well over 100,000 miles on it. We've done very minimal repairs on it. (in he last year we've gotten new tires and spent $300 on a vacation emergency repair that would have cost less than $100 at home. We paid a premium for help-us-now-we're supposed to be driving home service) Honestly, you'd be paying a lot of $ for only 3 yrs difference. All things being equal, I'd buy the older one. But check the miles, too.

I would go with the older one too. We have done that twice now with Dodge Grand Caravans. Both worked out great for us. We are still driving the second, an 05 that had 20,000 miles on it when we got it, 100,000 now. We're planning to replace it with an SUV this summer.

I don't really have an opinion on which route to go, but wanted to offer you a couple of links where you can get real "from-the-street" information on the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna if you're looking at either of these models.

www.odyclub.com

www.toyotanation.com

For instance, we have a 2001 Odyssey and you can read for hours about the very well publicized transmission issues in the 1999 - 2004 Odysseys.

Another good repair/maintenance resource for do-it-yourselfers is the following subscription based service.

www.alldatadiy.com

Good luck with your purchase.

I don't really have an opinion on which route to go, but wanted to offer you a couple of links where you can get real "from-the-street" information on the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna if you're looking at either of these models.

www.odyclub.com

www.toyotanation.com

For instance, we have a 2001 Odyssey and you can read for hours about the very well publicized transmission issues in the 1999 - 2004 Odysseys.

Another good repair/maintenance resource for do-it-yourselfers is the following subscription based service.

www.alldatadiy.com

Good luck with your purchase.

We did all the research when we were buying a van. I chose the Sienna over the Odyssey because of the transmission problems. I felt there was a problem with the vehicle not long after we got it, but no one could diagnose it and I was assured it was fine. Two years later, we replaced the transmission in the Sienna to the tune of $5,000. I couldn't believe it!

Anyway, I always go with what we can afford at the time and hope for the best. We've never bought a new vehicle and this is the first time I feel like I've ever really been burned.

Lisa

I think it depends a lot on the brand. Our Honda van is a 2003, and other than two batteries and routine maintenance we have never done anything else to it. It has 130,000 miles on it. I am careful to keep up with maitience though, so be sure to check out the maintenance on used vehicles, because that does seem to make a difference.

I would buy an older one, Toyota or Honda, checking reviews to purchase a model that does not have major repair issues.

:iagree:

I would definitely go for a Toyota or Honda, not Chevy, Ford or Dodge/Chrysler. I would not say this for all vehicles (I would for Dodge/Chrysler!), but vans--definitely.

I don't post much on this board, but I am really uncertain what is best. Any advice would be appreciated.

We are returning to the U.S. after 4 yrs. abroad. We need a van for our family. Would it be best to buy a 2008 van for around 10,000 USD (and be prepared for possible repairs) OR buy a 2011 for around 18,000 (and expect fewer repair costs)?

You left out some important information.

Make of the vehicles in question?

Mileage on each? Who drove it? I bought a van from an old man who took it once to Florida. Very low mileage.

Potential common issues? (Every car has something different - research edmunds.com)

Value of each vehicle? (Again, research edmunds used cars - you can plug in details to get a value).

i'd factor in mileage. gas is way more expensive here than when you left. do you really need a minivan, or would a crossover work? you can get a brand new mazda 5, which seats 6, for ~18,000 and the miles/gallon is quite good.

we had two minivans before our mazda 5, and i like the mazda so much better! (and the transmissions on the dodge caravan/voyager minivans were what went in both of them.... so i just wouldn't buy an older minivan used).

fwiw,

ann

Well, thanks for all the advice! I needed a few other people to weigh in on this. I think we will go with the older van.

The mileage is, of course, a factor as well. We'd like to get a lower mileage used car. We haven't decided on any one van, but we are looking at the Dodge Grand Caravan.

Anyway, thanks again!

I would definitely go for a Toyota or Honda, not Chevy, Ford or Dodge/Chrysler. I would not say this for all vehicles (I would for Dodge/Chrysler!), but vans--definitely.

I just have to put in my plug for Chevy. I have a 2002 Chevy Venture with over 230,000 miles on it. We bought it because it was the only van, at that time, that would seat eight. It has been an amazing vehicle. Other than routine maintenance, we've had no issues. It is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

We have had a Plymouth Grand Voyager (essentially the same as a Grand Caravan) and an Odyssey. We definitely prefer the Odyssey. I would recommend seeing if you could get a Sienna or Odyssey for the amount of money you are spending...

Toyota (and Honda) miles can nearly be doubled to be equivalent. IE, 200,000 Toyota miles is roughly 100,000 Dodge miles.

• 2 months later...
Guest jonybron

Before buying a car its better to thoroughly analyze the car market, i mean whether there can be a much cheaper car available in better condition. You can also bid on the used cars, now its possible to bid on used cars.

Grab the best deal..:)

:auto:

I just have to put in my plug for Chevy. I have a 2002 Chevy Venture with over 230,000 miles on it. We bought it because it was the only van, at that time, that would seat eight. It has been an amazing vehicle. Other than routine maintenance, we've had no issues. It is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Great to hear! I have a 2000 Chevy Venture, but it only has 140,000 miles on it. We have started looking for a replacement, but then I add up all the additional costs - including the insurance and all - and decide to hang on to what we have. We've loved this van too!!

We put 100,000 miles on our Toyota before it needed any significant repairs. It had 190,00 miles on it, and we traded it in for a used Honda. The Honda we drove for 30,000 before we needed to upgrade to a full size van. It was 8 years old and had over 100,000 miles, and we were still able to sell it for 5,000 dollars (more than what we owed).

We always buy used, and I think mileage matters more than age.

In May I bought a 2001 used Honda Odyssey. I had meant to spend $8,000 or less on my purchase, but I found this van with only 82,000 miles, so I spent $11,000 out the door. It was not private party, but from a Toyota dealership. It had been a very recent trade in.

A few months later I had to spend $4,900 more to fix a major transmission replacement. That period of Honda mini van had a recall that my van's former owners had not taken care of. Although my van was within the covered mileage, it had been too long. Honda refused to cover the repair. Honda America flat out told me on the phone that I am not considered a Honda customer, because I bought a used van from a Toyota dealership.

I love my van, but in reality an 11 year old van cost me $16,000 and Honda doesn't care. Be careful.

What is the mileage on each?

I'm driving an 03 Town and Country and it's only starting to need pricey repairs in the past year. I just hit 100,000 miles.

:iagree: We are driving an 04 Dodge Grand Caravan with 110,000 miles, and it is just starting to need bigger repairs as well. We are driving this one until it dies a slow, painful death and then probably buying a used van for $10,000. I would love a new one, but we won't have enough cash saved for a new one by then.

It would completely depend on what type of mini van and what tends to wear out soonest on that type. Every mini van has it's weak spots. Our mini van is a 2006 and the only thing that we have had to repair the back breaks, front suspension, and then we had mice get into the door once but we've learned how to avoid that in the future. All in all it hasn't been a pricey van to keep. We have around 100,000 miles on it right now (roughly converting from km in my head :tongue_smilie:).

Take your time to really look and you'll be able to find an older gem. I purchased our truck for $3k cash. It's older (15 years!) but relatively low mileage and was owned by a mechanic so it's been kept in tip-top shape. We had to be patient though and look at quite a few vehicles before we found just the right one for an exceptional price. You should absolutely be able to find something that is clean and has been well maintained in the $3-$5k range if you just take your time.

In May I bought a 2001 used Honda Odyssey. I had meant to spend $8,000 or less on my purchase, but I found this van with only 82,000 miles, so I spent $11,000 out the door. It was not private party, but from a Toyota dealership. It had been a very recent trade in.

A few months later I had to spend $4,900 more to fix a major transmission replacement. That period of Honda mini van had a recall that my van's former owners had not taken care of. Although my van was within the covered mileage, it had been too long. Honda refused to cover the repair. Honda America flat out told me on the phone that I am not considered a Honda customer, because I bought a used van from a Toyota dealership.

I love my van, but in reality an 11 year old van cost me $16,000 and Honda doesn't care. Be careful.

Yep. BTDT. Bought a 2001 Odyssey and overpaid for it, but figured it was worth it since it was a certified preowned vehicle. Transmission went out while we were on vacation over 1,000 miles from home. Honda refused to help us out at all.

Lesson learned? AVOID ALL ODYSSEYS BUILT IN BETWEEN 1999-2004. THEY ALL HAVE KNOWN TRANSMISSION ISSUES. Yes, I'm shouting, lol.