Menu

b00ks are not "fashionable"...a vent :(

UGH! Today while the kids were at golf lessons, my sister and I went shopping to look for some summer clothes. I wanted to try to get a couple cute, summery dresses. Most of them were ugly as sin so I left them on the rack, but there were a couple cute ones, so I tried them on, but I have uh... "assets"...except that they're NOT if you want cute clothes. I'm so disappointed. :crying: They fit so nicely everywhere else except up top.

I'm tired of looking like a frumpy housewife all the time. I do not own any nice clothes because I can't find nice clothes that fit me! T-shirts and jeans is as dressed up as I get, and I have trouble even finding t-shirts that fit nicely.

Does anybody know of a good place to look for clothes that might fit? Sz. 10-12ish from the ribcage down but with a sz. 16-18ish chest.

I'm built the same. Separates are your friend! Also dresses with a sash to cinch the waist (buy to fit the top). Or make friends with a tailor.

Ann Taylor runs very big so you would probably fit in their tops there (though button down tops would be a stretch --pun intended).

It is hard to deal with clothes shopping. You might look into alterations on RTW shirts. Maybe buy the size to fit the b00ks, and have the rest of the garment taken in.

You can also try Bravissimo online. They sell clothing by b00k size.

Clothes shopping is hard, and I avoid it as much as possible. I've heard the only way to get a great fit, even in jeans, is to have them altered.

FWIW, bOOks might not be fashionable, but sadly neither are pamphlets.

I won't say which end of the spectrum I fall on ;)

:lol::lol:

I've had several smaller friends over the years bemoaning their "lack".

I've told each and every one that I'd gladly share, if only I knew how!

But, I seriously don't understand these women who have nice, normal sized ones who go in and have them made bigger! Fashion designers must all be paperback or pamphlet sized. Hardcovers are not taken into account in clothing that I've found.

To the other PPs, thanks for the recs. I will check them out.

I've found good jeans. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. Perfect leg length (another of my issues...they're usually too short), made with elastic, not spandex so they do not stretch and sag into "poopy pants" mode, and they're not too high, not too low in the waist. And at only $110-$150 per pair, I can get a new pair about once every decade or so. :D Actually, I'd love to stock up now so I have them for the next decade when they decide to follow some other crazy butt baring fashion craze or something like that and I can no longer find any that fit.

LOL, poopy pants! Jeans that show butt cleavage are awful, too. Goodness, but I can't fathom $150 for jeans even though they are probably a much better fit.

Like you, I don't understand why anyone would recover their bOOks, but I suppose everyone has their hot button personal issue.:tongue_smilie:

Luckily, the ones I got are at the lower end of the price spectrum, but I absolutely LOVE them and would spend to that higher end, if necessary to replace them. If valued based on use and how I feel while in them, not just price alone, they win for sure! I wear them every day that I put on jeans to leave the house...as opposed to my sweats at home. I have two pairs and they are the only jeans I wear now...Oh, and they were my Christmas gift. I went shopping, left a pile of clothes on hold for DH to choose from and he made the final selections. I was quite surprised that he got two of them, but am grateful because I have one to wash and one to wear. Prior to December I could not fathom spending that much for jeans, either but my sister kept telling me I HAD to try "good" jeans at least once and I have lost some weight in the last couple years so I needed some new ones badly.

I really need to get back at exercising but I justify not doing it because I don't want to have to replace my jeans before they are falling apart from overuse. :tongue_smilie:

Ok- now I have to know what brand of jeans you are talking about:tongue_smilie:...I buy saggy poopy pants jeans! Help:lol:!

Miss Me. I get them at Buckle. They do have different cuts, anything from the butt cleavage to the higher waist, so you probably have to actually go in to a store and have a salesperson help you choose which ones, but it is, IMO, very worth it.

Learn to sew! Seriously its not hard and you can do a full bust alteration and have cute clothes that fit right. I'm crazy enough to make my own jeans because I don't like the American sloper used for them. European all the way! I've never been to Europe though...

I had no idea what a sloper was, so I googled.

I still have no idea what a sloper is...it might as well be written in Swahili or Hieroglyph. :lol:

According to this article, it shouldn't be part of my vocabulary, though. Roger that, Ma'am...I haven't the foggiest what it means anyway! :tongue_smilie: However, I think maybe I'd like to make a new definition for it just so I can put it in my daily vocabulary to spite this lady. (Apparently it's past my bed time, I'm starting to act giggly and silly).

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/what_is_a_sloper/

And there is a difference between clothes and "sewn products". Who knew? Aren't clothes sewn?

Miss Me. I get them at Buckle. They do have different cuts, anything from the butt cleavage to the higher waist, so you probably have to actually go in to a store and have a salesperson help you choose which ones, but it is, IMO, very worth it.

Thank you! I will have to check them out...and I'm pretty sure that the Buckle has talls :-)!

Well, hips and rear aren't fashionable either. :). Add in my long torso and short legs and I know fashion designers didn't have me in mind.

I'm commiserating, even though my aSSets are on the other end. I will say that it helped to google shopping tips for my body style. Learning what types of clothing look better on me has made me realize that much of the problem isn't in the fit of clothing, but in the style. I can't just pick any style of clothing and try sizes up and down to have it look awesome.

I've had to give up certain styles, that I always liked. Once I embraced the limitations and followed the rules ruthlessly, I've been much happier with my shopping. Even bathing suit shopping went better by not even trying on suits that fell in the "NO, NEVER FOR MY BODY" category... Like halter tops. I always thought they were cute. Apparently, they exaggerate my triangle body shape where wider shoulder straps balance my top with my bottom.

Edited by snickelfritz

I had no bOOks until I had babies. Not even a pamphlet. Then, I had dictionaries. I still have not adjusyed to the wardrobe challenges it causes. I teach dance and need leotards. I finally have up on cute ones. There are not many cute ones that allow the use of.....um....book shelves without the shelves showing.

I have purchased a few high wasted dresses in various sizes that I like. I hate wearing tops and jeans though. It the short fits my chest/ribcage it is to loose for my waist and I look awful.

Not high fashion, but I've had good luck with Sears. I have to weed through some really ugly stuff, but they usually have a few things that are nice that fit the bOOks. I particularly like the tops that have the little white piece across the middle. Wrap style also looks good, as long as you have either a high cami or that white piece sewn in. I got a nice wrap style at Sears with the white piece, and I really like it.

I so feel your pain.

Just last Wednesday I went to Kohl's where I tried on the cutest dress. I haven't bought a dress in about five years, so I was thrilled to see one in a style and fabric that *might* look good on me.

It was too big in the ribcage and waaayyy too tiny in the b00k area. I couldn't even zip it. Not even close. Seriously? I don't have tomes, just your regular, very average b00ks.

Over the last two weeks I have been shopping three times and have hit several stores. I tried on a total (yes, I counted because it's so traumatic) of 47 shirts--- I bought two. Which, technically is "one" because I bought the same shirt in two colors. :glare:

It's discouraging when I try so hard to spend money on clothes and come home empty handed.... or with something new for the kitchen. :lol:

I feel you- I am pretty sure my training bra was a DD back in the day. If I find a top that fits the assets- then it is a tent over my midsection. And while I do not have abs of steel or anything- a feminine cut that skims my abs keeps me from appearing as if my stomach sticks out as much as my b00ks... That ratio (asset to rib cage to waist is my best feature- the girls help it even more... But I have no real hips or tush...). What I have been doing lately is really dressing myself waaaay more with jewelry- like the Stella and dot type stuff. Target has great feminine cut tshirts and I have several basic bottoms and then I go nuts with accessories to make it look different.

On the subject of long-legged jeans... Someone recommended Silver jeans to me (or was it sliver?) has anyone tried those? I haven't had a chance to get by the mall to check them out.

UGH! Today while the kids were at golf lessons, my sister and I went shopping to look for some summer clothes. I wanted to try to get a couple cute, summery dresses. Most of them were ugly as sin so I left them on the rack, but there were a couple cute ones, so I tried them on, but I have uh... "assets"...except that they're NOT if you want cute clothes. I'm so disappointed. :crying: They fit so nicely everywhere else except up top.

I'm tired of looking like a frumpy housewife all the time. I do not own any nice clothes because I can't find nice clothes that fit me! T-shirts and jeans is as dressed up as I get, and I have trouble even finding t-shirts that fit nicely.

Does anybody know of a good place to look for clothes that might fit? Sz. 10-12ish from the ribcage down but with a sz. 16-18ish chest.

No suggestions, but :grouphug: from someone in a similar position. I'm a 38G (sigh) and I've got a 12 inch difference between my waist and my hips. There is no such thing as retail clothes that fit. :glare:

This predicament is, in large part, what is spurring my motivation to learn how to sew. I've finally realized that, at the very least, I need to learn how to tailor retail stuff to fit me.

I feel your pain. I'm a 34 J, but am also a bit overweight. It's not a fun thing to go shopping. So far I've had good luck with the Riders by Lee jeans and as for cut summer tops I bought some cute button downs at Wal-mart that I can't button all the way up or I have the button pull thing, but I just wear a tank top underneath and only button the bottom few buttons.

The only dress I bought recently that fits ok and looks ok was actually meant to be a swimsuit cover up. It's a gradient dye with a stretchy tube top, but it also has straps. My description doesn't make it sound cute but it is for a lightweight summer dress.

Really-we can't just say BOOBs here?

People use many euphemisms, not because we aren't adult enough for the words, but to keep trolls from doing a search on b@@bs and finding us. bOOks came from a funny thread and has turned into a board joke with pamphlets, encyclopedias, and bOOkshelves. If you see a thread about getting carpet trimmed for tEa-time..... Well, just be careful what you say.

Edited by snickelfritz

Luckily, the ones I got are at the lower end of the price spectrum, but I absolutely LOVE them and would spend to that higher end, if necessary to replace them. If valued based on use and how I feel while in them, not just price alone, they win for sure! I wear them every day that I put on jeans to leave the house...as opposed to my sweats at home. I have two pairs and they are the only jeans I wear now...Oh, and they were my Christmas gift. I went shopping, left a pile of clothes on hold for DH to choose from and he made the final selections. I was quite surprised that he got two of them, but am grateful because I have one to wash and one to wear. Prior to December I could not fathom spending that much for jeans, either but my sister kept telling me I HAD to try "good" jeans at least once and I have lost some weight in the last couple years so I needed some new ones badly.

I really need to get back at exercising but I justify not doing it because I don't want to have to replace my jeans before they are falling apart from overuse. :tongue_smilie:

That's as good a reason as any not to exercise! Wish my justification was as strong ;)

I'm in a similar situation. Very curvy on the top and bottom with a smaller waist and it's tough. For dresses I love the cotton knits at Lands End because they are pretty forgiving and even though they tend to be way lower cut than I would wear normally I can add a camisole and they are perfect. Also very comfortable. For dressier or more structured outfits I like Ann Taylor or Talbots. I pretty much just gave up on ever buying an oxford or button up type shirt though. That will never happen.

I'm in a similar situation. Very curvy on the top and bottom with a smaller waist and it's tough. For dresses I love the cotton knits at Lands End because they are pretty forgiving and even though they tend to be way lower cut than I would wear normally I can add a camisole and they are perfect. Also very comfortable. For dressier or more structured outfits I like Ann Taylor or Talbots. I pretty much just gave up on ever buying an oxford or button up type shirt though. That will never happen.

I just discovered Ann Taylor Loft and their different fits of clothing. One of them actually fits my waist AND hips. The only thing left is to take them in to have the hem shortened.:lol: I just have to figure that cost into the price.

Well, hips and rear aren't fashionable either. :). Add in my long torso and short legs and I know fashion designers didn't have me in mind.

I'm commiserating, even though my aSSets are on the other end. I will say that it helped to google shopping tips for my body style. Learning what types of clothing look better on me has made me realize that much of the problem isn't in the fit of clothing, but in the style. I can't just pick any style of clothing and try sizes up and down to have it look awesome.

I've had to give up certain styles, that I always liked. Once I embraced the limitations and followed the rules ruthlessly, I've been much happier with my shopping. Even bathing suit shopping went better by not even trying on suits that fell in the "NO, NEVER FOR MY BODY" category... Like halter tops. I always thought they were cute. Apparently, they exaggerate my triangle body shape where wider shoulder straps balance my top with my bottom.

WEll, I must be perfect in style right now. My body style is a rectangle. My shoulder and hips are the same size and I have no waist definiton at all. My bra size is only average but I do have a bit of a belly. I am pretty much average in every way and even I have a terrible time finding clothes. Jeans are especially hard because I fall right between sizes with one being slighty too snug and the other being way too big. I recently found a great pain of jeggings from VS. They fit perfectly and I asbolutely love them. So stretchy and comfy and only $60.

Bras are difficult too. I can wear a 36D or a 38 C. They both fit equally well depending on the bra itself btu it is really hard to find ones that fit exactly the way I want and are comfotable too. We just got my youngest new bras at spring break. We had her measured and end up with several very nive 32D. She is now falling out of them and needs new one already. The 15 year old is 32 DD. And the next one in line I would guess to be a 34 DDD. At least they don't have any problems with jeans and shirts are very easy as well.

I am short and curvy and have a horrible time finding clothes and bras that fit too! I have found Gap jeans to be the best fit, I get their curvy size 6 ankle and they actually fit without coming up to my ribs, or my crack hanging out!

Even when I was bigger, their jeans fit me really well, they are expensive, but last through at least a year or more of constant wear.

Anne Taylor Lofts clothes fit me really well too, but they are often out of my price range, so unless I find them on clearance or my mom shows up with something I don't get to shop there often.

I have to buy my bras at a specialty store:glare:..I am a 32/34 E, very small through the shoulders and short enough that most bras above a D were digging in to my sternum or belly and falling off my shoulders.

I don't know why they think we need full body armor, they aren't that big!!

I also found some bras at JCP called Barely There, they are stretchy t-back, almost like a sports bra but without the square thing going on. I have to wear 2 of them, but they are perfect under Racer-back tank tops or little dresses.

Or when it is 110 degrees and underwire and other regular bra construction results in raw spots and misery.

I also find cute shirts in the maternity section from time to time :blushing:, they are cut to allow extra room where I need it the most, without being huge through the neck and shoulders.

With my body shape it works best to wear bigger flowing shirts and tight jeans or leggings on the bottom...I also have to buy tank tops big and take the straps up, same thing with dresses most of the time.

I can't wear Oxford or button up type shirts, and I have to go big in t-shirts or my BooKs make them too short.

I had no idea what a sloper was, so I googled.

I still have no idea what a sloper is...it might as well be written in Swahili or Hieroglyph. :lol:

According to this article, it shouldn't be part of my vocabulary, though. Roger that, Ma'am...I haven't the foggiest what it means anyway! :tongue_smilie: However, I think maybe I'd like to make a new definition for it just so I can put it in my daily vocabulary to spite this lady. (Apparently it's past my bed time, I'm starting to act giggly and silly).

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/what_is_a_sloper/

And there is a difference between clothes and "sewn products". Who knew? Aren't clothes sewn?

Sorry, I was obviously posting past my bedtime! That article is so funny! They have no clue what they are talking about! Most patterns don't have seam allowances! I add what I want for my clothes. Good patterns are drafted this way! They are drafted from slopers adding in design ease and function. The USA has different basic slopers then in Europe. If I make my kids or my jeans, the crotch curve fits nicely and is flattering. I bought jeans for my girls and they look so frumpy!

Tops don't have as many issues with basic fit. I was a 34G when nursing and made flattering clothes. It takes some tweeking, but its worth it to not wear a tent or hang out!