Menu

The Critical Thinking Co.

Has anybody used material from this company? I received their catalog the other day and have been flipping through with interest. DS6 is accelerated and I can see how much of these materials would stretch and enhance his thinking.DD5 is learning at her own pace and I'm thinking some of these materials might be useful in helping her start thinking a bit more logically and critically (huge weaknesses for her). If you've used it, or know anybody that has, what are your thoughts?

We've used their materials and have a high opinion of them. With such a wide variety available, if you want opinions on specific books you should ask about them. Off the top of my head, books of theirs that I like include the "Building Thinking Skills" and "Mind Benders" series, but there are many others.

Gosh, if funding were unlimited, I'd love to purchase their packaged grade sets. The software as well.

Alas, funding is more tight than usual (DH is oow with a broken leg) so I've got to be more judicious. Likely stuff pertaining to math would be my focus right now. DD really lacks any and all mathematical reasoning skills.

We love Mind Benders.

At first, I thought Building Critical Thinking Skills was a total waste, but then I took a very careful look at how it was constructed and why it was put together the way that it is, and I am very impressed with it.

I like Science Detective for my 8YO. It really makes him justify his answers using facts from the reading and charts, instead of,"Well I know that," which is a nice introduction to an important skill set to have.

We use/have used Mind Benders, Mathematical Reasoning series, Math Detective and Building Thinking Skills. They are all really good.

After using the Building Thinking Skills and Mathematical Reasoning books, my dd, age 5, finds MEP Math easy. I do think my dc have had their logic and thinking abilities really stretched.

Denise

I like their materials, but find them overpriced. Depending on what you want, it is often possible to find an equivalent product at a lower cost, or a similar cost but more material.

So, I may look through their website, but it is mostly to get ideas. I tend to buy elsewhere.

This is funny! I was going to post this question this afternoon, and here it is! I have been getting CTC's catalogs for a while now, after signing up to get them. I actually used Mind Benders in the talented and gifted program I was in during elementary school. They were my favorite part of the program, so I ordered them for my daughter. I am strongly considering starting each of my children on Building Thinking Skills, and some of the critical thinking materials for older children are definitely on my list for down the road. Actually, I was thinking about picking up a few of them for myself! :)

I find them overpriced for Mindbenders because of the small number of activities per book for the price. The ability to do multiple copies is of no benefit to me, as I only have one child. It was fun for my daughter, but I didn't see a big advantage to it over the Dell Logic books you can buy at the grocery store (and get many more puzzles for the price)---these kinds of logic puzzles are also freely available all over the web. I try to find their materials used if at all possible.

We have used Reading Detective (I was more willing to pay for that) and love Editor in Chief. I just started using Colonies to Constitution (evaluating primary evidence in American history---there are 4 books) and it is going well.

You may also want to check out Prufrock Press (http://www.prufrock.com), which has secular critical thinking materials for gifted students, but better prices. Another interesting provider is Tin Man Press, but they focus only on elementary, so I didn't get a chance to try them-- http://www.tinmanpress.com.

Edited by KarenNC

We use them and really enjoy them. Specifically we use the Building Thinking Skills and Mathematical Reasoning books. I did purchase a Language Smarts book but have decided to sell it. We have more language arts programs than is reasonable and as nice as it was it went to the chopping block.

They can be a bit pricey, I agree. I take mine to the copy shop and have the binding stripped off, three hole punch them and put them in a binder. When the kids use them I slide the pages into heavy weight reusable dry erase pockets. We can use them over and over again as needed.

We have really liked:

Reading Detective (software)

Editor in Chief (workbook -- we disliked the software or this one)

Mindbenders (again, prefer the workbook)

Building Thinking Skills

and,

I'm definitely planning on buying World History Detective this fall.

Lisa

You may also want to check out Prufrock Press (www.prufrock.com), which has secular critical thinking materials for gifted students, but better prices. Another interesting provider is Tin Man Press, but they focus only on elementary, so I didn't get a chance to try them-- www.tinmanpress.com.

Thanks for these recs, Karen; I'd heard of Prufrock, but not tinman.

Tinman has downloadable products, I noticed: Hunter, if you're still following this thread you might want to look! also some quite inexpensive, around $5 ...

Really good stuff all the way around. You can't go wrong, but might have a tough time squeezing it in. Consider software options :)!

That's why I wasn't looking at anything other than the science. There just isn't time. The science looks like it covers the big picture science topics and might glue together some mishmash as a spine. I'd like to see it, to see if it does. It looks to me like it covers the same topics in BFSU.

Has anybody used the Critical Thinking in US History series? SWB recommends this for Logic Stage history supplement, but I want to hear from people who've used it, because we're currently 50/50 with this co. so far . . . we liked Mind Benders, but not Building Thinking Skills.

If you mean the 4 vol. set that includes "Colonies to Constitution," then, yes, we are using it currently (the Critical Thinking website is down for maintenance, so I can't check). We've only done three lessons in it, but I think it is adding a nice dimension of working with primary sources, evaluating sources, etc. I'm currently looking for the other volumes (in hardcopy, as I don't like printing out from the ebook).