Menu

Where do I buy a cast iron skillet?

I would recommend the Lodge brand. They are American made, and anything I've bought from them are fantastic.

I've gotten them from both Amazon and Walmart. I imagine you can find them most places. Really, I don't care where I buy it, I just know that Lodge is a good brand.

I would recommend the Lodge brand. They are American made, and anything I've bought from them are fantastic.

I've gotten them from both Amazon and Walmart. I imagine you can find them most places. Really, I don't care where I buy it, I just know that Lodge is a good brand.

:iagree: What she said

Great...thanks!

What kind of stove do you have? If glass top, you can't use uncoated cast iron. You'll have to look for Le Creuset or something similar without the rough bottom. I think Target carries a brand too.

eta: Lodge now makes an enameled cast iron.

Oh, I do have a glass top stove. Good point! Thanks. :)

I've been using a non-coated Lodge cast iron on my glass top stove since Christmas and I haven't had any problems. I just make sure never to turn the heat past medium or a little over. I was concerned about this at first, but a friend of ours said that's what he did.

I have a glass top stove and use regular cast iron with no problem.

:iagree:

I have used cast iron on my glass top stove for several years and I've never had a problem. I make sure I set the pan gently on the stove and don't scoot it around.

Is the new Lodge stuff still made in the States? Not sure about that... If you look up good cast iron, and if it needs to be older to be safe... Goodwill has a ton, usually. I burn off everything in my woodstove and start from scratch :) (Coconut in small amounts is good to wipe on at the end of drying it on the stove, after cleaning :))

If all else fails, you can call a Lodge store or order online.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/factory-stores.asp

I visited a store once, but didn't buy anything there!

I have one small pan from my grandma and I bought one very similar to it at an antique store for $4. I have a griddle and a skillet. I don't have a dutch oven type -- way, way too heavy. I use the skillet a lot for baking in the oven, and on the stove top once in a while.

Another vote for Lodge. If you have Amazon Prime, Amazon ships a lot of their products for free, which is awesome considering how heavy they are. I have a frying pan and a 2-burner griddle that I use all. the. time.

I would totally buy one secondhand as well. Or if you have an older family member, you might check and see if they have any laying around that you could have. You'd probably have to re-season (google it, it's easy) and it would be good to go.

:iagree:

I have used cast iron on my glass top stove for several years and I've never had a problem. I make sure I set the pan gently on the stove and don't scoot it around.

Yup. I've used Lodge cast iron on my glass top for over a year. Just don't dag it around. Lift and set gently and you'll be fine.