Menu

If you read aloud to your DC during meals...

...how does it work? What do you read? How much do you read? Which meals?

And maybe most importantly, when do YOU eat? :confused:

I have heard a couple of people on the board mention this idea. I tried it with DS a couple of times this week and he seemed to really like it. So, I'm wondering what reading aloud during meals looks like in your family.

Thanks for sharing

A good friend of mine says she gets the best attention from her kids if she does it while they are eating. On the down side, she said she hasn't had a hot meal in ages.

Since my kids are still young and seem to give me good attention right now, I am leaving it for after our meals. If I ever feel like I am fighting for their attention I might switch to reading at meal times.... but in the mean time- I like just talking to my kids at the table and eating along with them.

I read during both breakfast and lunch - I usually eat breakfast before we begin, and my lunch at "break time". I generally read Bible & history at breakfast and then science at lunch. Any leftover time I do read-aloud (we mostly use Sonlight). This has worked out really well for us - especially since ds is a very s-l-o-w eater!

Another time that I found attention was high (for little ones) was during bath time.

I eat breakfast before the kids wake up, so I can read during that meal. Lunch I sometimes eat fast and read, and sometimes I eat before making their meal. I don't always read at lunch.

Dinner we all eat together (whole family), so I don't read then. I eat slower than my kids do (and less food :tongue_smilie:), so if I want to eat AND read, I need to eat before they eat. At dinner, I like to eat with everyone else. We read before bed though.

Another time that I found attention was high (for little ones) was during bath time.

My kids are too loud during bath time. I tried that a couple times. :lol:

Meals work for us because there are less explosions happening when their mouths are full of food. ;)

Some of the time my husband and I alternate eating/reading.

Some of the time I just eat when the questions start rolling in. Gives me a chance to ponder the answer. ;)

Some of the time I refuse to read and just want to chat with my family. :)

We usually listen to a book on cd during breakfast and/or lunch.

I tried doing books on CD with DS, but they just seemed to go in one ear and out the other... It's really too bad because I love the idea. Maybe books on CD work better for auditory learners?

Since my kids are still young and seem to give me good attention right now, I am leaving it for after our meals. If I ever feel like I am fighting for their attention I might switch to reading at meal times....

This is basically my problem. DS is very active (even for a 4 year old). So while he loves being read to and demands school activities he has a hard time sitting still for long or even playing quietly.

I think the only way this would work is if I laminated the entire book first. DS usually takes a shower now, but if I let him take a bath he always manages to soak the ENTIRE room...and sometimes the floor outside too. :ohmy:

I eat breakfast before the kids wake up, so I can read during that meal....

At dinner, I like to eat with everyone else. We read before bed though.

Note to self: need to wake up earlier. :tongue_smilie:But what are the chances of that actually happening???

Meals work for us because there are less explosions happening when their mouths are full of food. ;)

This is exactly my hope. Plus maybe listening to a book will keep DS interested enough to stay in his chair through the meal.

What is "Art-a-Day" calendar in your signature? Do you have a link?

Thanks...sorry to hijak.

No problem. :001_smile: Its a desk calendar with a different piece of art for each day of the year (Saturdays and Sundays share a page). The calendar has a much wider range of "art" than your typical art book (everything from Monet to famous designer shoes) which I think is cool. But the art is selected for adults not children so I think it might be better for older DC or ones who are already very interested in art. If I had it to do again with my DS I would probably let him chose a picture to look at and talk about rather than trying to actually follow it as a calendar. But it is definitely a relatively inexpensive way to get your hands on a bunch of art prints. DS has currently decided that he hates this activity, but I think it depends on the age/interests of the child. Since I want DS to love art I'm going to put the calendar away for awhile and use The Art Book for Children and let him pick a piece/artist to talk about.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-2012-Gallery-Calendar-Page/dp/0761162844/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336231469&sr=8-1

I also eat breakfast before my kids get up (or while they're watching their morning movie), but I do the dishes during their breakfast. I like the idea of an audio book for that time... I read school stuff while they eat lunch, then we all snuggle on my bed for read alouds and devotions before rest time. i eat during rest time. Dinner we all eat together. Their before bed reading is stories they pick and then DD1 stays up an extra half hour to read to me without the littles distracting her.

I only read at lunch as well. I fix all of our plates (typically pb and j and chips) and I call them. I am eating as they are strolling in the dining room and sitting down. I typically finish eating as soon as they are just settling in on eating. I then begin reading while they eat.

I have also waited until they are finished with eating and allowed them to get a coloring book and crayons out to color while I read... but I usually have a kid that doses off during that time and then they fuss that they missed part of the story.

I eat breakfast first thing. I start history when DC are all eating breakfast. Then when they are finished eating we get out their notebooks and continue from there with the lesson. It keeps my olders from running off and needing to be brought back to the table. :)

I read during lunch. I usually eat before or after when they are doing something independently. I normally use this time to read history because it is easier to get their attention when they are sitting there eating. They love our literature read alouds so I don't need to use food to keep their attention for that:)

During breakfast I read the Bible lesson or devotional to the kids and ask questions. At lunch I read the read-aloud geared towards my middle kids (currently Dr. Dolittle). I figure they're getting some good entertainment/learning and practicing eating quietly at the table. (They are not allowed to interrupt while I'm reading) And that's a lot better than them picking at each other. A win-win for me!

We usually read a couple of chapters (they are short) of the Adventures of series by Burgess during lunch. Right now we are reading The Adventures of Buster Bear. I cannot recommend these books enough. I eat while I read, taking breaks for bites of food. :lol: I find I eat less this way so it is good for EVERYONE! :D We also do Bible reading during the kids' snack before bed. If they eat yogurt, they expect to hear the Bible! :lol::lol::lol:

...how does it work? What do you read? How much do you read? Which meals?

And maybe most importantly, when do YOU eat? :confused:

I have heard a couple of people on the board mention this idea. I tried it with DS a couple of times this week and he seemed to really like it. So, I'm wondering what reading aloud during meals looks like in your family.

Thanks for sharing

I often, but not always, read to the kids over breakfast and lunch. I eat breakfast way before they wake up. For lunch, I eat after they eat. They usually play for about 30-45 minutes after lunch. I generally read a chapter or 2 of whatever read aloud we are currently working through.

I tried doing books on CD with DS, but they just seemed to go in one ear and out the other... It's really too bad because I love the idea. Maybe books on CD work better for auditory learner?

I think age may be a factor for you. My middle son has worked up to chapter books in the last year (he's a year older than your son). He still doesn't understand a lot of what we read unless it's a picture book. My oldest didn't get into chapter books until he was 6. So I don't expect a 4.5 year old to sit through a pictureless chapter book and get a lot out of it, but do keep reading, because the more you try, the more he's likely to get. :)

Note to self: need to wake up earlier. :tongue_smilie:But what are the chances of that actually happening???

My DH goes to bed early, so I finally got in the habit too. 9-9:30! Easy to get up now, and kids aren't allowed to come down until 7am.

Now if DH is out of town, I'm up until 12 or 1am. :tongue_smilie:

I sometimes read at breakfast ... if everyone is up and moving at by 7:45 or so. We start school at 8:30, so I can eat (or not ... I'm a terrible example) after they do during play time.

I sometimes read at lunch depending how worn out I am by our morning lessons. If I read at lunch, I eat during quiet time (2-4).

At dinner, I eat quickly (limit myself to 1 serving!) and then read a chapter or so while everyone else is finishing up. We do family devotions after that, too ... so everyone is going to be sitting there for a while anyway. We usually read our most difficult book in the evening and my husband and I talk about it and draw the children in so we all discuss the book as we go. This process has worked very well for a couple of years now :)

Usually at lunchtime... but only about 50% of the time. I eat and finish up before they do. Then read maybe about a chapter or so while they finish up eating. We read Sonlight books, history books, picture books.... whatever I'm in the mood for. Just pleasure. (Sssssshhhh, don't tell them that I'm still educating them during lunch!)

I eat lunch while I cook theirs. I usually read 1 chapter while they eat and then another after that. If the chapters are long then only 1.

This is what I do too. We also have Tuesday tea in the afternoon and I read poetry or a short story while they nibble on a treat.

I haven't read the other replies, so I'm sorry if I am repeating anyone.

I asked a good friend this same question. She does it, and I had the exact same questions you do! She said that she just pauses and takes bites. BUT she said that it works best when she reads something non-fiction (like their science book) instead of fiction. It's easier to pause that way. She also said it's easiest when it's something like a sandwich versus something like soup.:D

Sometimes I read between bites. :) Usually, though, I finish eating before the children do, so I'll read while they finish. If it's breakfast, and we've had eggs, my breakfast was probably ready first, because of the order in which I need to cook everyone's different preferences, so I may have eaten mine while the children's were cooking. I'll read as much or as little as seems to be appropriate; sometimes they're not into a lot of listening, and other days, they can't get enough, and we've got nothing pressing on the schedule, so I'll read a ton (which is how we read about ten chapters of The Westing Game in one sitting, and how we read The Silver Chair and The Last Battle in about two days each).

For awhile I was reading during morning snack. Snack is usually a tray of cut up stuff (cheese, fruit, veggies) to pick off of, so I can grab a bite if I need to, but usually I don't need morning snack (2hrs after breakfast). Lately I've been reading during breakfast. If I wake up hungry I'll have something while I'm getting breakfast together for the kids, otherwise (usually) I just eat something later.

I don't usually read during lunch, but the twins go down right after lunch and DD usually watches a short movie then, so I can eat then in peace if I don't want to eat with them Often I run around doing chores while they eat, then put the boys to bed, then enjoy my lunch in peace. It's worth waiting for! I if could read instead of chores if chores were happening some other time, lol.

I read Bible to the kids during b-fast, and during lunch prep, kitchen chore time and lunch we usually listen to a book on audible. (I have an audible app on my iPhone and a Bose dock in the kitchen--it's a great setup).

We just finished The Secret Garden and are currently listening to Around the World in 80 Days. The kids beg to turn on the audio as soon as we finish morning lessons. They haven't quite figured out that I count that read-aloud time as school. :D

I tried doing books on CD with DS, but they just seemed to go in one ear and out the other... It's really too bad because I love the idea. Maybe books on CD work better for auditory learners?

I think it's a matter of practice and finding books that hold interest. I don't require that my children answer comprehension questions about the books we listen to but we do talk about what we hear. If a book isn't working for us we leave it and find another.

I'm a visual learner so I think that anyone can enjoy listening to books. I have learned that I can't have distractions while listening if I'm going to really hear the book.