Menu

OLLY, the homeschool planner for Mac is ready!

Hi everyone,

As you may know, for the last few months we have been working on OLLY, the first ever homeschool planning software for Mac.

I am excited to announce that it is (finally) finished and available for purchase from our website! (Available from the Mac App Store soon)

I hope you all enjoy. :)

I just wanted to thank you, Wizecoder, for being completely upfront and honest about who you are, instead of doing what many others have done in the past, which is to come here and rave on and on about some "great new product they just heard about," pretending they are huge fans rather than being truthful and coming right out and saying, "Hey, I'm selling this new product and here's what it is."

I hate shills.

I'm glad you're not one of them. :hurray:

I haven't had a chance to check out much of your website, but what I have seen so far looks very good, and I'm definitely going to spend more time there tomorrow when I have more time.

I don't know what the forum rules are about product promotion, but I'm just happy you didn't try to pull a fast one on us, and again, I truly appreciate your honesty.

I wish you the best of luck with your new planner! :001_smile:

Could I ask a dumb question? If it's going to be in the app store, does that mean it will run on the ipad? And if it runs on the ipad, will it require wifi or be installed right on the ipad and sync when you connect your ipad to your computer? Hopefully that made sense, lol. You know I've never really done extensive planning, just put one foot in front of the next, but the info on your software gave me ideas for how I could do things differently next year, things I had never thought of.

Wow, I really appreciate the great response everyone!

@OhElizabeth Well for now it is going on the Mac App Store, which means that although Apple will be distributing it, it won't yet be available for mobile devices. But, over the next weeks/months I am going to try and figure out a solution for wifi syncing. Once that is figured out, I am going to create a version of OLLY for iPhone and a version for iPad. I don't want to set any firm dates on that though because syncing is rather difficult to design. :P

I don't think that it is possible for non-Apple apps to iPad sync via a cable due to security lockdowns that Apple has put in place. But, most Macs from the last five years or so come with bluetooth support, so I will try to build in support for bluetooth syncing.

In your top bar there should be a squiggly sort of icon, click it and there should be some bluetooth options, if so than your Mac has bluetooth!

More info about bluetooth can be found at: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3887

The plan is to have the iPad version be standalone, and the iPhone version to require either a Mac or an iPad version to sync to.

The idea is that an iPhone will be too small of a screen to have all of the functionality of the full version, so we will be creating it as basically an accessory to the larger versions.

I'm not sure what the vendor rules are, either, but I just entered my first set of lesson plans on the trial version, and it seems flexible and intuitive! It's nice to have the routines available on the right hand side, too.

I ran across the idea for Olly at least a year ago, when I was looking for Mac planners. It's cool to see it get off the ground now - and right when I really need a planner.

Wow, I really appreciate the great response everyone!

@OhElizabeth Well for now it is going on the Mac App Store, which means that although Apple will be distributing it, it won't yet be available for mobile devices. But, over the next weeks/months I am going to try and figure out a solution for wifi syncing. Once that is figured out, I am going to create a version of OLLY for iPhone and a version for iPad. I don't want to set any firm dates on that though because syncing is rather difficult to design. :P

The plan is to have the iPad version be standalone, and the iPhone version to require either a Mac or an iPad version to sync to.

The idea is that an iPhone will be too small of a screen to have all of the functionality of the full version, so we will be creating it as basically an accessory to the larger versions.

:thumbup: I've been waiting and waiting for someone to come up with a Mac program and I would be over the moon about syncing capabilities with iPad or iPhone. The program I currently use is Windows only, so I have to run virtual Windows on my iMac. For mobile "editing" I have to print the week's lists to .pdf and use a .pdf writer on my iPad to check things off. Then later I have to go check things off in the program. Streamlining via syncing between my iPhone and iMac would be marvelous!

The main thing I make sure we finish is my daughter's Singapore math. It has chapters, but subsections of each chapter, for example, each day is an exercise in a chapter. There are different number of exercises in different chapters.

So, you have Chapter 1, exercise 1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. Some chapters have 5, some have 9, it varies. Is there an easy way to enter this?

I keep it in Excel now, but if it was really easy might consider it, especially as they get older and we do more things that I would want to track.

The main thing I make sure we finish is my daughter's Singapore math. It has chapters, but subsections of each chapter, for example, each day is an exercise in a chapter. There are different number of exercises in different chapters.

So, you have Chapter 1, exercise 1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. Some chapters have 5, some have 9, it varies. Is there an easy way to enter this?

I keep it in Excel now, but if it was really easy might consider it, especially as they get older and we do more things that I would want to track.

Yes, I'm wondering this as well. Homeschool Tracker Plus (what I've used for the past couple of years) allows this, which is helpful.

Another thing I'm wondering about is if there is a way to see a printable weekly schedule beyond the current week.

shukriyya: Both. The Mac site is talking about the version available on the Mac App Store, and the Mac App Store can't be installed on 10.5. Anyone still on 10.5 though can buy the version from our site and it will work fine.

ElizabethB: Yep, the assignment generator in OLLY makes it easy to create these types of assignments. If you choose the assignment type "Chapter Subsection", once you have entered some initial information, a page appears to enter in the number of subsections for each chapter, along with an optional topic to apply to all of those subsections. Hit finish and it creates all of the chapter subsections.

The final assignments are created in the format "Chapter 3 - 4 Singapore Math Exercise" indicating the 4th exercise in chapter 3 of Singapore math.

ElizabethB: Yep, the assignment generator in OLLY makes it easy to create these types of assignments. If you choose the assignment type "Chapter Subsection", once you have entered some initial information, a page appears to enter in the number of subsections for each chapter, along with an optional topic to apply to all of those subsections. Hit finish and it creates all of the chapter subsections.

The final assignments are created in the format "Chapter 3 - 4 Singapore Math Exercise" indicating the 4th exercise in chapter 3 of Singapore math.

Thanks!

This is helpful - thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am looking to move away from HST Online. I was using the program on my PC for many years. Then I got a MacBook and had to use HST Online. I can't get over paying a monthly fee for it forever. Nor do I want to have to depend on their site working to access our records. So, I've been looking at Olly. I downloaded an old beta some time ago and played around with it. It didn't fit my needs, but I thought I'd give the new version a go. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it installed. It's shooting back errors about database corruption. I actually posted a thread on your forum. I hope I can get it figured out since I am planning the next year and need to get something quick! =)

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of having a mac based planner but my issue is I downloaded it and it isn't a full version so I can't see if it actually works for me or not. It does not allow me the option of typing in new lesson plans. Only journal entries show up?? Any suggestions?