Menu

DH wants me to find a job, a couple of ? on the process these days

First I'll update my resume but how do you list homeschooling? And what about the volunteer stuff I've done for the past many many years? Some of it is pertinent to the job I'm looking at.

Then, the last time I interviewed was 1991! With as casual as life has become since then, what does one ear these days? Back then it was a skirt suit. Is it still? Anything I wear I will have to go buy unless khakis and a button down top will work. Or a sheath dress.

My application for library school required a professional resume, so I listed homeschooling first under "Employment & Volunteer Work", and put my non-job volunteering under "Community Service & Leadership". I think it works. They'll want to know what you've been doing.

I listed homeschool on my resume with dates, just like any other job. The same with my volunteer positions. I gave them the job title xxxx volunteer and wrote a description of what I did. 2 of my references came from volunteer jobs.

Here's my homeschooling resume entry:

Homeschooling parent, K-10th grade, [location], 2005-present. Research, design, and implement a custom education at two levels; teach Latin and most other subjects; coordinate literature, science, mathematics, art, and music with a four-year cycle of world history.

:001_smile:

I did not list homeschooling on my resume because I didn't want it to be a potential strike against me if the person reviewing it had a negative view of homeschoolers. (I did list the freelance work I did during the years when I was not employed.) It did come up naturally during the interview for the job I have now, and I felt comfortable talking about it at that time.

For what to wear, it depends on what sort of places you are applying. In general, I think you are supposed to dress 1 level "fancier" than the typical dress of the place you are applying. So, if you apply for a place where most people wear "business casual" you would dress "business nice". If you apply for a place were they wear jeans & Ts, then dress slacks & nice shirt, etc.

FWIW, if you aren't sure I would dress in whatever you would expect a professional in your profession to wear when meeting a prospective new client.

Sorry, but am I the only one taking exception to the phrase "dh wants me to get a job"? Maybe this is not the OP's situation, but the phrase sound to me like something to be said to a grown child or other boarder who needs to start pulling her own weight. Really?

If dh told me he wanted me to get a job, I'd tell him I already have one; several actually. If he prefers to hire a private tutor for the kids, a housekeeper, cook and errand runner so I can work some other job, so be it. Otherwise, my plate is full, thanks.

In my case, I do have private tutoring students whom I teach in my home after school. I wish I didn't have to, but it was a financial decision I made and which dh and I agreed upon to help pad the budget. Being told I need to get a job, as if I weren't a contributing adult family member, would not fly with me.

Again, this probably doesn't reflect the OP's situation, but the wording just pushed my buttons!

Carry on...

I guess I would call it private tutoring instead of homeschooling since some might dislike HSers

I would be careful about this because you could be asked about your client base, subjects you specialize in, how you managed and advertised your business, etc. There are any number of questions that could be asked where it could easily be revealed that you attempted to cover up what you were actually doing.

Here's the description I put on my resume

Homeschool Parent/Teacher. Adapted a variety of curriculum materials across multiple subjects to meet the needs of children who exhibited both advanced intellectual needs and learning disabilities, and taught small group science classes.

If your volunteer experience involves leading or managing something do include that and provide a description of what you did. For instance, team manager or coach for youth sports, or fundraising coordinator for community program. If you do not have references from a job, be sure to review your volunteer experience for references.

Contact the people you would like to list as references now. This is beginning of networking to find a job. Even though you didn't have a paid position, these people know you and know how you work. Now, they know you are job hunting so they may think of you when they hear of an opening.

Sorry, but am I the only one taking exception to the phrase "dh wants me to get a job"? Maybe this is not the OP's situation, but the phrase sound to me like something to be said to a grown child or other boarder who needs to start pulling her own weight. Really?

If dh told me he wanted me to get a job, I'd tell him I already have one; several actually. If he prefers to hire a private tutor for the kids, a housekeeper, cook and errand runner so I can work some other job, so be it. Otherwise, my plate is full, thanks..

I think this is a bit unhelpful. The OP wasn't venting or questioning her dh's suggestion. She was asking how to start. There could be any number of reasons she and her dh had this conversation and we don't need to question the details.

I did not list homeschooling on my resume because I didn't want it to be a potential strike against me if the person reviewing it had a negative view of homeschoolers.

I would list it because 1) they'll want to know what you've been doing and homeschooling is better than being "unemployed," and 2) chances it'll come up in an interview and you don't want them to think you're hiding anything.

I am in the same boat. Hubby wants me to get a job to pay for my hobbies and extras. I haven't worked since 2003 and it was as a nurse but now I am going towards teaching at a preschool level. If I have to go back to work than it ought to be something fun.

I put down my volunteering with scouts(leader), and home education instead of homeschooling. I plan to work out of home so I don't have to worry too much about dress code but I do like wearing khacki bottoms with nice casual tops.

I review a fair number of resumes in the course of my work and I used to run a resume writing service. I always steer people towards listing volunteer work and community activities (especially if they show a skill set comparable to the work you are seeking. But honestly, I steer people away from listing their parenting on their resumes- regardless of homeschooling. A big break can naturally come up in the interview.

Also work your networks. Your resume in most sectors in most markets is one of the smallest parts of getting a job- it is about connecting with people who may be hiring or know people who are hiring. Also, an amazing, specific to that position, cover letter can make a big difference. If it looks like the cover letter was not written specifically to the job qualifications and duties and organizational culture, then it gets trashed.

I don't think that you should list homeschooling or tutoring (unless you were paid to do that with someone else's child). UNLESS it directly pertains to the job you are applying for, ie the person who applied at a library.

Most people would not look at homeschooling as a JOB, or Career. Much like most people would not consider a Stay at home Mom, or wife to be a job or career. Okay, Okay, no arguments, I, being a homeschooling stay at home mom/wife, fully know how much work we do. But hiring people don't see it that way.

But the point is, a stay at home mom would not list that as skill, or job history on a resume, so nor would a homeschooling mom.

Volunteer work, yes, list that, as that shows that you were doing something outside the home. If it comes up on conversation about "just volunteering", then the door is open to say you've been home with your children and volunteering in your spare time. Education need not come into it.

Edited by Samiam

I like the term, "home educator" as it sounds more professional than homeschool teacher or worse, homeschooling parent. I actually really dislike the term homeschooling. We aren't schooling; we are teaching. Don't even get me started on homeschooler. Schooler isn't even a standalone noun. I mean, I use the terms since they are generally accepted, but I'd avoid them in a professional setting.

I don't think that you should list homeschooling or tutoring (unless you were paid to do that with someone else's child). UNLESS it directly pertains to the job you are applying for, ie the person who applied at a library.

Most people would not look at homeschooling as a JOB, or Career. Much like most people would not consider a Stay at home Mom, or wife to be a job or career. Okay, Okay, no arguments, I, being a homeschooling stay at home mom/wife, fully know how much work we do. But hiring people don't see it that way.

But the point is, a stay at home mom would not list that as skill, or job history on a resume, so nor would a homeschooling mom.

Volunteer work, yes, list that, as that shows that you were doing something outside the home. If it comes up on conversation about "just volunteering", then the door is open to say you've been home with your children and volunteering in your spare time. Education need not come into it.

You're kidding, right?

you can list homeschooling as teaching. You can 100000% list any and ALL volunteer work. As for what to wear, it matters on the job, Dont wear jeans and a t to a business interview and dont wear a suit to Mcdonalds type thing. :) Id say to wear Sunday Best IMO.

I disagree. How is being a mom or homemaker NOT relevant? You can easily list it for Qualifications: Multi-Tasking, Time Management are 2 that come to mind. For Homeschooling, you dont get paid, but its still a job. You can still list it.

Id list it as this on my resume (its not on there, but this is what i WOULD put)

Home Educator....................................... Sept '10-Present

Responsibilities Include: Time Management, Multi-Tasking, Personal Discipline, Teaching.

References: (id list a Coop we are apart of or some other friend that could vouch for us: showing up on time, volunteering, being positive towards others)

How would an Employer NOT look at the above things???????

You're kidding, right?

No. Are you? Do you really think that anyone would consider homeschooling a job, a skill, a valuable resource for most positions? Anyone that is not a homeschooling family, that is. Again, unless it's something like a bookstore, or library, or some other type of education oriented place, etc.

I mean, it's a tight job market in general. Unless one is going for a mininum wage, retail job, where they just want a warm body to stand at the register or re-hang clothes (and NOTHING against those jobs, if it's what fits your needs, and every $$ helps, so be it), what company is looking for "homeschooling" on an applicant's resume? Or home education if you like that term better. The fact that the OP is wanting to submit a resume indicates that she is not just applying for a mininum wage retail type job, as they generally don't care for or need resumes. The OP does have volunteer experience so that is what should be highlighted on her resume as recent work experience, rather than her "mommy" duties.

I've worked several jobs while "home educating", corporate type, 9-5 jobs. They wanted to know my work experience. My job skills. Me telling them that I was able to teach my child to read, cook dinner, keep laundry smaller than a mountain, build a volcano from scratch, and do a mean math sentence didn't really light their fires in terms of hiring me.

Edited by Samiam

I disagree. How is being a mom or homemaker NOT relevant? You can easily list it for Qualifications: Multi-Tasking, Time Management are 2 that come to mind. For Homeschooling, you dont get paid, but its still a job. You can still list it.

Id list it as this on my resume (its not on there, but this is what i WOULD put)

Home Educator....................................... Sept '10-Present

Responsibilities Include: Time Management, Multi-Tasking, Personal Discipline, Teaching.

References: (id list a Coop we are apart of or some other friend that could vouch for us: showing up on time, volunteering, being positive towards others)

How would an Employer NOT look at the above things???????

I guess that's fine, if that's the only highlights one has going for them. Personally I find that to be a pretty below-average resume listing. Those are all basic skills, that really say NOTHING about what you've done, and certainly doesn't stand out. As a matter of fact, those are skills that almost EVERYONE applying for a job would have, and certainly anyone who is a parent would have. So I would think that a HR person (who probably is a parent) would look at that and laugh considering they see many resume's cross their desk on a regular basis. Okay, great...this resume is for a a adult human who is a parent doing what most parents do, time management, multi-task, personal discipline (what does this mean anyway???). So what is interesting about that? And then when one gets called in for the interview, and the HR wants to ask about that listing: "So, you listed that you are able to multi-task? Interesting. Tell us about that, how exactly did you multitask?" Is that when we go in detail about how we were able to do all the interesting things that we homeschooling mommies do every day?

I've worked several jobs while "home educating", corporate type, 9-5 jobs. They wanted to know my work experience. My job skills. Me telling them that I was able to teach my child to read, cook dinner, keep laundry smaller than a mountain, build a volcano from scratch, and do a mean math sentence didn't really light their fires in terms of hiring me.

:001_rolleyes: Not taking the bait.

I guess that's fine, if that's the only highlights one has going for them. Personally I find that to be a pretty below-average resume listing. Those are all basic skills, that really say NOTHING about what you've done, and certainly doesn't stand out. As a matter of fact, those are skills that almost EVERYONE applying for a job would have, and certainly anyone who is a parent would have. So I would think that a HR person (who probably is a parent) would look at that and laugh considering they see many resume's cross their desk on a regular basis. Okay, great...this resume is for a a adult human who is a parent doing what most parents do, time management, multi-task, personal discipline (what does this mean anyway???). So what is interesting about that? And then when one gets called in for the interview, and the HR wants to ask about that listing: "So, you listed that you are able to multi-task? Interesting. Tell us about that, how exactly did you multitask?" Is that when we go in detail about how we were able to do all the interesting things that we homeschooling mommies do every day?

I dont care if this gets me banned, but that is a pretty HEARTLESS thing to say, especially on a HS forum. What I do and what we do is important. Its not "below average" or my "only highlights". I do it every day, it takes up most of my day.

Im stepping away now because if i say more, it wont go over well. Wow. Just wow. Youre a real winner ya know that? I have my FIRST person on my IGNORE list. :glare:

No. Are you? Do you really think that anyone would consider homeschooling a job, a skill, a valuable resource for most positions? Anyone that is not a homeschooling family, that is. Again, unless it's something like a bookstore, or library, or some other type of education oriented place, etc.

I mean, it's a tight job market in general. Unless one is going for a mininum wage, retail job, where they just want a warm body to stand at the register or re-hang clothes (and NOTHING against those jobs, if it's what fits your needs, and every $$ helps, so be it), what company is looking for "homeschooling" on an applicant's resume? Or home education if you like that term better. The fact that the OP is wanting to submit a resume indicates that she is not just applying for a mininum wage retail type job, as they generally don't care for or need resumes. The OP does have volunteer experience so that is what should be highlighted on her resume as recent work experience, rather than her "mommy" duties.

Unfortunately, this post is pretty accurate albeit a bit rough around the edges. It really depends on the type of job you are looking for, though. If you want to work at Starbucks or a retail job, etc., you really won't need a resume and in the application you could put "home educator".

If you are applying for, say, a secretarial job in a small office it might be ok to put it on the resume. But most larger companies will not care or be impressed by it. And trying to make it sound fancy doesn't fool them any more than "sanitation engineer" does for "janitor".

In addition, so many people are anti-homeschooling that you may be eliminated before you even get an interview.

I am NOT trying to be mean, just truthful. I interview people all the time so I see lots of resumes. No one does or should put "stay at home mom" on their resume if they want to get a job.

Any interviewer worth their salt will ask you about "gaps" in your employment history and that would be the time for you to mention that you stepped out of the workforce for X amount of years to raise your children and homeschool them. But it doesn't belong on a resume.

One place that would be appropriate to mention it is the cover letter in your description of yourself. You can pull it off better in a narrative than you can in trying to list parenting skills in fancy terms on the actual resume.

best of luck with your job search!

Edited by Heather in NC

Honestly, when I started working from home, the thing that mattered to the most wasn't my resume. It was the networking I did to land that first job. I got the job through a friend of a friend. No one asked about my gaps in employment. It was more important that X recommended me.

Now I put home education on my resume under teaching experience and you know what, I have had many clients value that experience. They listened when I explained which methods work with my kids and which doesn't.

Please don't rush to judgment that home education should/shouldn't be on a resume. You won't know till you actually start applying.

Any interviewer worth their salt will ask you about "gaps" in your employment history and that would be the time for you to mention that you stepped out of the workforce for X amount of years to raise your children and homeschool them. But it doesn't belong on a resume.

One place that would be appropriate to mention it is the cover letter in your description of yourself. You can pull it off better in a narrative than you can in trying to list parenting skills in fancy terms on the actual resume.

Thanks Heather. This was most helpful.

And many thanks to everyone and the discussion that ensued. Especially to the person who mentioned coaching. I did coach for a while and since the position I'll be sending a resume for is planning swim meets (essentially), the coaching will be relevant. My brain had focused on the event planning Ive done for my church.

Im stepping away now because if i say more, it wont go over well. Wow. Just wow. Youre a real winner ya know that? I have my FIRST person on my IGNORE list. :glare:

Well, actually you did say something. You directly insulted her because you felt her general statement was insulting you directly. Tit for tat, really.

Fwiw, it would have never occured to me to list being a SAHM or homeschooling my children on a resume. Just thinking about it makes me feel silly. I'm just picturing myself explaining how childbirth prepared me to perform under extreme pressure and come out fine. :tongue_smilie: The few jobs I got with a gap between paid work just asked me in the interview about those gaps of not working. I learn so much on this board!

I dont care if this gets me banned, but that is a pretty HEARTLESS thing to say, especially on a HS forum. What I do and what we do is important. Its not "below average" or my "only highlights". I do it every day, it takes up most of my day.

I don't think it's a heartless thing to say at all. She's not saying that she thinks it's a below average way to spend your time, but rather that it makes for a below average resume. And that, if there are other things that CAN be highlighted, don't choose the homeschooling.

She's trying to help the OP write a resume, not help her feel good about herself, kwim? Whether one agrees with her advice or not, it sounds like it's coming from an objective stance. In her experience and viewpoint, a resume that uses hs'ing as a highlight of experience is going to look padded or below average.

You took her advice on getting a job and extrapolated it into commentary on the importance, or lack thereof, of home schooling. You took it way too personally, imo, and your response was really rude. If you read again with the original question in mind (how to get a job after years at home), I think you'll see that. Samian and the others who mentioned this are entitled to their POV, and it hardly qualifies as a wholesale trashing of home schooling or SAHMs.

Unfortunately, this post is pretty accurate albeit a bit rough around the edges. It really depends on the type of job you are looking for, though. If you want to work at Starbucks or a retail job, etc., you really won't need a resume and in the application you could put "home educator".

If you are applying for, say, a secretarial job in a small office it might be ok to put it on the resume. But most larger companies will not care or be impressed by it. And trying to make it sound fancy doesn't fool them any more than "sanitation engineer" does for "janitor".

In addition, so many people are anti-homeschooling that you may be eliminated before you even get an interview.

I am NOT trying to be mean, just truthful. I interview people all the time so I see lots of resumes. No one does or should put "stay at home mom" on their resume if they want to get a job.

:iagree:

It isn't mean or heartless to give honest feedback about the job market and the types of work experience that employers are looking for. I would use discretion before listing homeschooling under work experience on a resume, especially if it isn't directly relevant to the position you're applying for (it wasn't in my case). And I would definitely not mislead potential employers by saying you are a "private tutor," which implies that you are paid to tutor others.

Well, she didn't attack you or insinuate that you or anyone else here is below average, etc. She said that she thinks listing homeschooling on a resume makes for a below average resume. It's not a personal attack, it's her opinion. I happen to agree with her. It doesn't mean that what I do isn't worthwhile. It means that most employers don't give a rat's rear end what SAHMs do all day, and homeschooling tends to fall under the SAHM umbrella.

Thanks Heather. This was most helpful.

And many thanks to everyone and the discussion that ensued. Especially to the person who mentioned coaching. I did coach for a while and since the position I'll be sending a resume for is planning swim meets (essentially), the coaching will be relevant. My brain had focused on the event planning Ive done for my church.

While I agree that I wouldn't put homeschooling on a resume, knowing what swim meets are like and what it takes to run them, I would make sure you mentioned homeschooling during an interview. The ability to plan, to execute those plans, and to multitask is quite relevant to swim meets. :001_smile:

Good luck!