Menu

Are you still using a spelling program in logic stage? If so, what?

My oldest is finishing 6th grade. She completed AAS 6 in early Fall and after waiting a bit for level 7 to come out I finally gave up and got the last level of HTTS. I'm wondering if her time would be better spent on vocab next year instead. She is not a natural speller, though she has improved a ton with AAS.

Sorry I'm not any help. I kind of have the same question as you do :)

I've never used one for dd12-she's a natural speller-but now with higher level words I feel she could use some practice. I may just do vocab and call that spelling too though. :)

What are you doing-if anything-for spelling in logic stage?

Have you looked at Spelling Power? I got an older edition (cheaper), and intend to go all the way through to college level. I like how it makes the child only sit and pick through the words missed, instead of drilling a whole list. The drill is on the missed ones only. Cuts down on frustration.

I forgot about SP-I think I actually have *two* copies of it in the garage. I got away from it when I started Spalding spelling (SWR, PR, etc) with younger ds-it makes more sense to me than "word family" type spelling programs (which most of them are ;) including SP)

The methodology of SP is good and basically what I've used though-I occasionally give dd little lists like that of words I've seen her spell wrong in her other subjects.

My ds will be doing spelling most likely through high school, due to an auditory processing issue in his early elementary years. We have finished SWR and are now using Spelling Wisdom which is studied dictation. *He* has to decide what he cannot spell from the passage and then study it. After studying a different passage each day, on Friday I randomly choose one for him to write.

Ruth in NZ

We're still doing spelling. It's one way I get to sneak in some extra vocabulary, haha! Next year my 6th and 8th grader will be using Building Spelling Skills. It has some nice work with roots and things. My kids are both excellent natural spellers, but whenever they suggest dropping spelling, I offer to test them "right now" on the whole book, and if they get them all right we don't have to do spelling! Spelling takes us very little time, and it reinforces spelling rules that they don't always remember because they can just tell if the word "looks wrong." So I'm glad we do it.

My middle schooler has been doing studied dictation only. He completed R&S Spelling 2 & 3, skipped 4, and then completed 5. We would have stayed with R&S because I love it and he never complained but R&S 6 is no longer a workbook. I like the convenience of a workbook for him, but then decided to just do the studied dictation instead of having him copy all of the R&S out on his own paper. He is a great speller and the studied dictation has been good for this year (7th). I'm going to use Spelling Power with him next year and probably continue it through high school.

I'll have a 5th grader next year. I don't know what to do with him! He hates spelling. He has been doing studied dictation this year. He has done a great job with it and much prefers that to a workbook. I pulled out R&S awhile back and thought we would get back to it. He completed 2 but only got through about half of 3 before developing a hatred for it. I think he's falling behind in spelling because he won't try to spell words that he doesn't know. I think I may do Logic of English with him next year. I was going to buy it a week or so ago but didn't because it was more expensive than I thought it would be. It does look very good. I think it's an approach that would interest him. Then, I thought Spelling Power may be best because he hates workbooks. I think he needs something more than SP, but I'm just not sure...:confused:.

Hmm..I am going to have to think about it some more-not quite sure what to do yet. I think I will look at some of the programs mentioned and decide.

She does do spelling mainly by "it looks right" from all her extensive reading, etc. We haven't done much with the rules.

We have not been using an official spelling program for most of 6th grade. We are doing the Latin Road, which helps with spelling, and earlier in the year I went through the Writing Road to Reading with him through the end lessons. After awhile, I realized we were doing enough in Latin Rd and dropped official spelling, although I do a monthly McCrabbs spelling test to see if he needs to work on anything. He is a natural speller also.

I love R&S spelling. At first I dropped spelling for my natural speller after she finished R&S 5. Then when I read some of her writing assignments, I realized that she could benefit from a little more instruction with harder words. We don't have a lot of time in our day for spelling, so I don't have her complete all of the exercises anymore, but she studies the word lists and reads about the roots and the interesting sections on the English language (working in R&S 7 now). Then I test her on the words and she writes any missed words 3 times. This is working well for a natural speller. She'll be done with spelling when she finishes R&S 8 sometime next year.

My sixth grade ds will do level 6 next year and 7 the following.

AAS has transformed his spelling. In first grade I was casting around for something that fit his learning style and needs, and fortunately found AAS. What is helpful for me is the self-adjusting nature of the program. You work on something until it is mastered, then keep adding on. Each phonogram and rule is drilled to mastery, as much or as little as needed.

What is interesting to me is that his visual memory of words (being able to tell if they "looked right") was very poor when we started, and it's really very good now. I credit AAs with that.

Saidlier Oxford Vocabulary Workshop through middle and high school.

This is the one I planned on for vocab-I used it in high school and it was great. I think I will just consider that our spelling too. I'll still pull her own problem words to work on too.

I kind of wish she had had more of the rules though.

I am, because I didn't start a spelling program with dd until 3rd grade, when she was reading fluently. We use Wheeler's Elementary Speller, a free Google book. I see steady progress with her, and I think she benefits from spelling instruction more now that she has a wider grasp of reading and vocabulary than she would have when she was just starting to read and write.

Tara

My 10 year old is a phenomenal speller. We only do spelling because she loves it. She has won two spelling bees. We use ABeka at a grade level above. I tried "A Reason for Spelling" and several sample lists, but they were way too easy. I only have her practice the words she misses. She just doesn't need as much practice at spelling as some children. We will continue with ABeka, but only because she requests that we do not stop doing spelling.

Suzanne