Menu

Where do you go (board-wise) when you have read everything here

A couple of years ago, I used to read every post in every thread.

I know, I know. I guess I wasn't reading many books at the time. :blink:

Now I'm lucky if I read most posts in a couple of pages of threads.

If I ever exhaust this forum, . . . well, let's just say my eyes would be burning, my back would hurt, and my mouse-hand would have carpal tunnel.:lol:

I catch up on blogs and go to Ravelry. That's it. Most of my time online is on here. 'Cause y'all are cool.:D

If I didn't have to use the bathroom, sleep, and refill my icewater glass, I'd be drooling over Ravelery 24/7. And I"m not kidding. Yes I am. No, not really. Maybe a little. :D

I just read what I am interested in and then sadly log off.

As a newbie I have this suspicion that all the really cool people go to some secret place and IM each other. But thats just me feeling ... well new.

Naw......nothing like that! But just to make you feel better, I'm repping you! :grouphug:

Astrid

Read everything here? How could you read everything here? Have time to kill? How could you read everything here and still have time to kill? Do you have children? Do you know where your children are? I saw mine a couple of months ago, I'm sure they're around here somewhere! ;)

However, this board usually moves so fast that I can't possibly go anywhere else after here, AND keep up with my family! :D

Read everything here? How could you read everything here? Have time to kill? How could you read everything here and still have time to kill? Do you have children? Do you know where your children are? I saw mine a couple of months ago, I'm sure they're around here somewhere! ;)

However, this board usually moves so fast that I can't possibly go anywhere else after here, AND keep up with my family! :D

:iagree: How can you read everything, everyone and everything moves so fast. :auto:

I joined ravelry, but can't quite figure out what to do there. What do you do there?

I look through some of the forums that I am a part of to see what threads are of interest. I look at other people's projects to get ideas. I search through projects made in yarn that I own to see what I am going to make with mine. Things like that. I love Ravelry!

I never read everything here anymore. I like the new format because I actually spend less time here and am more selective about the threads I read and respond to. I find it a less "addictive" format...or maybe I just changed while I was having a board break.

However, I am on a heap of CM Yahoo groups nowadays so I am getting more emails than I used to.

Apart from all that, I am reading a lot more books than I used to. I am prereading the kids CM books and loving them.

I can't imagine reading everything here. I try to check in a few times a day but I almost never get past the first page! I have a few blogs that I like to read and now and then I peek at Ravelry, but after reading a very hostile knitter's blog about new people who knit because it's the current fad and how we're not real knitters, I am a little afraid. So I just peek and don't post.

(I do like to knit, you know. I don't think I will stop when it's not "the thing" anymore. I still cross stitch don't I? Yes, I do. I don't have quite as much yarn as I do cross stitch stuff, which is good because otherwise we would not be able to fit in the house, but I'm feeling inspired to try something other than an afghan so I feel I might be on my way to becoming a real knitter someday.)

Um, to my bookshelves? I have an internet route. First I read my e-mail. I still do it the old-fashioned way, downloading it into my computer. Then I pull up Flock, which alerts me whenever my friends' FaceBooks, MySpaces, LiveJournals or blogs are updated. I visit whatever was updated. Then I go to my blog and see who has been reading it. After that, I come here; if there's nothing here, I go to the Denim Jumper. When that's done, I get offline. This changes when my regular daily routine is thrown off, when I'm stressing something, I will go back to the beginning, re-check the e-mail, refresh my Flock browser looking for updates, etc. I generally keep enough content in there that I could go through this cycle all day and not be bored.

Wait!!! You mean there's more than just this board on line?! :lol:

The MotheringDotCom boards.

Me too. (Although sometimes I just get fed up with it!!)

I also post on a board that I joined AGES ago - when I was pregnant with my 7 yo. We've become very close and met a couple times. We're currently planning a cruise together in two years! Anyway, that's it. Mostly here.

I used to go there when folks here got . . . shall we say, in need of chocolate? But when the boards switched over, the atmosphere here became more accepting, and now MDC seems harsher. I can't take all the arguing over there.
I drastically curtailed my MDC time after the then new Gifted forum was gutted (no debate, no dissention... you can't even talk about what gifted "is"). There'd been a lot of rancor at MDC that resulted in our getting the forum to begin with, then some rabble-rousers came in and complained about how the forum wasn't inclusive enough to include every child :001_rolleyes: and TPTB caved. Yeah, I'm still bitter. I'm also peeved by some of the other restrictions; for a board that touts gentle discipline for children as a core value, it's awful authoritarian with its members.

I still hang out on the homeschooling board there though.

As you can tell by my lowly hive position, I have a hard time getting through the two boards here (general and curriculum) let alone delve into much else!

When my kids were pre-K and early elementary I seemed to have loads of time to post on boards. Now that they are older and we're all over the place and our studies are more involved, I go in spurts. My answer would be that I mostly lurk here, but if I'm bored, I'll peek in on a few blogs, and a few old Yahoo sites. I honestly can't keep up with blogs and Yahoo (that's a daily read to keep up on!). Here, it's a bit easier to read through the topics and pop in if I'm in the mood.

I developed some amazingly supportive online relationships (now offline and through emails), and learned sooooo much about homeschooling, parenting, my own strengths and weaknesses, and teaching styles/philosophies from all my time spent online early on in our home-school adventure.

Enjoy what you can read and post now. Develop a network of friends that you can keep up with. Don't be alarmed if you feel you post too much, or, if this all becomes replaced with life as your kids become older. It's a natural cycle. Embrace, love, and live in the present with each phase:001_smile: