Menu

Favorite picture books to give as gifts?

I have two first birthday parties to attend this weekend. In general, as the bookworm of the family, I'm known for giving books as gifts. I like to find a couple of nice hardcover books for occasions such as these, the kinds of books that will (hopefully) be kept and loved for years to come.

I've been known to give lots of Richard Scarry, Robert McCloskey, Virginia Lee Burton, and Tomie De Paolo (my favorites).

Do you have a favorite book/author to either give or receive? I'm pulling together an Amazon order right now...

I like Prayer of a Child by Rachel Field. I also like Peter Spier's Rain (probably my favorite to give; a lot of the Peter Spier books are good for gift-giving). Mabel Dancing is a good choice for the girlie 7-8 and under crowd. Charlotte Zolotow and Margaret Wise Brown are on my list of favorite picture book authors to give as well. Hope this helps!

In that case, I'd go with Sandra Boynton board books. :001_smile: The Going to Bed Book and A Cow Says Moo are popular ones in this household.

:iagree: Our fave was always the Hat one (can never remember the exact name -- is it Red Hat, Blue Hat; or is it Blue Hat, Green Hat; ...? :lol:). Definitely a great one!

In that case, I'd go with Sandra Boynton board books. :001_smile: The Going to Bed Book and A Cow Says Moo are popular ones in this household.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen

Margaret Wise Brown's Big Red Barn has been the favorite here since my little guy has been about 18 months. I saw a board book version a Barnes and Noble last week.

My dd has loved all the books listed above as well as any Eric Carle, particulary Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother Too? and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Also Here Are My Hands and Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin

Edited by Cinder
added author

You can't go wrong with a Sandra Boynton book. We favor:

Blue Hat, Green Hat

Doggies

What's Wrong Little Pookie?

The Bed Time Book

Other then that we enjoyed:

Binkie by Leslie Patricelli (among others)

the Big Dog and Little Dog books by Dav Pilkey

Moompa, Toby, and Bomp by Anna Grossnickle Hines

Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (we have it in Spanish..Buenas Noches, Gorila is much more fun and the word meanings are obvious from the pictures).

They all come as board books. The Patricelli books are silly and have a character a 1 year old can identify with. We loved Big Dog and Little Dogs adventures. The Moompa book has perfect toddler dialogue and a Grandpa caregiver. I like to ask the child to tell me what's happening in the Good Night Gorilla book.

All my kids will come up behind me when I read these to my youngest.

This:

20th Century Children's Book Treasury

Wow! Forty-four best-loved books from early childhood all gathered together in one oversized, hardcover book, printed on top-quality glossy stock at less than $1 per title!

You've got all of the greats—from Amelia Bedelia and Miss Nelson is Missing to the original Madeline story to Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day; and dozens more. An unbelievable bargain. All of the text is here. Most of the illustrations. Most illustrations have been slightly reduced in size to make them fit in a smaller space. Oversize hb; 320 pp ; high gloss paper; color illus throughout.

Author: Janet Schulman

Read Aloud Grade Range: P-A

Read Alone Grade Range: 1-A

Trimester(s): 1

Illustrated Content

Binding: h

Pages: 320

Harper Collins Treasury of Picture Book Classics

A Child's First Collection

Twelve marvelous picture books, including such classics as Caps for Sale, Goodnight Moon, and Harold and the Purple Crayon, plus modern classics such as If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and From Head to Toe.

Our 3-year-old grandson takes this to rest time almost every day. Oversize hb; 448 pp; full-color illus.

Author: Katherine Tegan (editor)

Read Aloud Grade Range: P-A

Read Alone Grade Range: 3-A

Trimester(s): 1

Illustrated Content

Binding: h

Pages: 448

Included in these packages:

Preschool Multi-Subject Package

Good Night, Gorilla

:iagree: For a one year old, I'd probably give this, or a good abc book or mother goose collection. An abc book I really like is the one by Alison Jay. I also like to give Bats at the Library, Keats' Over in the Meadow, and Beatrix Potter books, but usually for slightly older children.

The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood is a fun book.

Any of the Frances books as well.

Yes, these are the books by Russell Hoban. They might be even better though for three years old and up.

We had a board book version of "Mouse Paint", which my son's favorite when he was really young.

Mouse Paint was another big hit here.

Regards,

Kareni