Menu

Best Vacuum for wall to wall carpet?

I love my Kenmore Progressive canister. After having both a Dyson and an Oreck, this is the best vacuum I've ever owned. I love that I can easily take the head off to get along the baseboards and it's very easy to use on the stairs. I can also turn off the brush roll to do my hard floors so I only have to have one vacuum.

I love this Hoover vacuum (actually two vacuums for one price):

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Platinum-Lightweight-Canister-UH30010COM/dp/B001PB8EEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333762812&sr=8-1

The upright is powerful and does an excellent job. I don't often have to replace the bags. The bags are so much cleaner IMO than the bagless vacuum I had before.

The canister is GREAT. I use it for hardwood floors, tile, furniture, vents, edges, stairs, blinds, all of the hard to reach places around the house, etc.

Love, love, LOVE my Dyson! I have had it since November, and it has actually made me want to vacuum!! It's amazing how much stuff it picks up; and I thought I would hate the canister, but it is so much better than my old Eureka with the bags! I'll never go back.

I love my Kenmore Progressive canister. After having both a Dyson and an Oreck, this is the best vacuum I've ever owned. I love that I can easily take the head off to get along the baseboards and it's very easy to use on the stairs. I can also turn off the brush roll to do my hard floors so I only have to have one vacuum.

:iagree: I've had this vacuum for 11-12 yeats and i love it. I just moved out of a temp apartment and embarked on spring cleaning in my renovated house at the same time. I've used the vacuum for everything. I think canisters are better on carpets and much easier to get under and around things. They're also really great on hard floors so it's easy to go from one room to the next. I use the soft bristle brush for dusting curtains, lamp shades, window sills, weird crumbs in cabinets . . . It's a lifesaver.

You need either an upright or a cannister that has a carpet attachment, one that has a brush.

I haven an Electrolux upright that I'm very happy with.

My last vac was also an Electrolux upright; it was over 20 years old when we replaced it, and that was only because it was so old it was hard to find the one little part that we wanted to replace.

Love my Kirby. I wouldn't buy from the sales people though. I purchased mine from eBay. I have used many different vacuums in the past, and none clean quite so throughly (especally that edge of carpet/wall, without changing heads or doing anything, I can get all that grit that accumulates in the little slope to the edge). I use it for everything and love it. We use it for cleaning the mattresses, doing the carpets, cleaning the runs of the sliding doors, fans etc. And I haven't even really used it for the extras (light bulb changing, shampooing etc), and I still love it. I managed to pick up my G4 for a super bargain on eBay, I think I swiped it for $150-200 (can't quite remember as it was about 4 years ago). I love it, and its been so good, even my husband can use it. We have two longhaired cats and two dogs who mault, and my husband has an allergy to dust (not so much when its just lying around, but if you turn the air-con on, or vacuum, dust, clean, move stuff etc, his allergy goes haywire). Even he can use the Kirby with no ill-affects. The Dyson (we tried this) had problems that he couldn't empty it and the dust would be returned to the air when emptying (or we would have to trudge around the entire house to the backyard to empty into the outdoor bin).

For general spot cleaning (spilling crumbs etc or quick vac) we use the ergo-rapido. DH can't use this (dust problems with no bag emptying, and small fragments of dust come back through after 3 years of use), but its excellent for quick spot cleaning, is wireless, and has the dustbuster removal bit. This saves me getting out the Kirby for every little thing.

Miele BlueStar is what I have and I love love love it. That thing's got some great suction!! I'm sure the floors under my underlay are cleaner than my kitchen table!

:iagree: I have a Miele Titan and I love love love it. I actually bought it from a local dealer and spent about $100 less than Amazon ... and they threw in a box of bags. It makes a visible difference in my carpet other than just the surface.

Love, love, LOVE my Dyson! I have had it since November, and it has actually made me want to vacuum!! It's amazing how much stuff it picks up; and I thought I would hate the canister, but it is so much better than my old Eureka with the bags! I'll never go back.

I love my Dyson, too - I've had mine for at least 8 years and it's so much better than dealing with bags, and I'm always amazed at how much stuff it picks up.

The Kenmore Progressive was just AWESOME. Unfortunately Kenmore isn't making the Progressive anymore. We had chosen it OVER the Dyson and it was the longest living vacuum we've ever had... That's saying something for our size family.

Consumer Reports said the one Kenmore replaced it with isn't as powerful.

:001_huh:

But, then again, I actually believed them when I bought my Hoover as a replacement. It sucks. Er, wait, scratch that. It doesn't suck. :glare:

I can't tell you what to buy. All I can say is that I bought a Hoover based on Consumer Reports in December and I can't replace that hunk of plastic fast enough. I DESPISE it.

I'll be watching this thread with interest. :lurk5:

I love my Kenmore Progressive canister.

I have one of those too--loved it at first, now I hate it. I'm not sure how long you've had yours, but over time they tend to break down. The connection between the end of the hose (where you put attachments) and the stick on the large head melts down over time. Ours only works if you turn the handle all the way to the right.

I took it to Sears repair, and they wanted to charge me $40 just to diagnose the problem AND guarantee I'd pay them to fix it. Minimum $90 service fee. No way. I took it to our local vacuum store instead. They cleaned it and evaluated it for free and said the melted connection is a very, very common problem in this model. The only way to fix it is to buy a whole new stick/vacuum head combo. $120.

I'm making do for now, but someday getting a new vacuum. At the local store.

I am on my third Dyson because we have several homes. I love how easily the attachments flip on and off, as well as how easy it is to take apart for a clog. I have one I keep outside to suck up dirt, twigs, and rocks on the driveway and cage which is why I have to unclog one every once in a while.

I also love not having to change a bag all of the time. Because of our dog, I can fill up the canister every room almost. I used to spend a fortune on bags.

:001_smile:

I have one of those too--loved it at first, now I hate it. I'm not sure how long you've had yours, but over time they tend to break down. The connection between the end of the hose (where you put attachments) and the stick on the large head melts down over time. Ours only works if you turn the handle all the way to the right.

I took it to Sears repair, and they wanted to charge me $40 just to diagnose the problem AND guarantee I'd pay them to fix it. Minimum $90 service fee. No way. I took it to our local vacuum store instead. They cleaned it and evaluated it for free and said the melted connection is a very, very common problem in this model. The only way to fix it is to buy a whole new stick/vacuum head combo. $120.

I'm making do for now, but someday getting a new vacuum. At the local store.

I think it's been about 9 months or so. This is the one I got and have had no problems like the ones described in the reviews. I can't have a vacuum without bags, the ones you just dump out like a Dyson are horrible for my allergies.

I love my Dyson ball vacuum. I'm not convinced that it has any better suction than other vacuums, but it is a dream to steer around the floor and obstacles. I used to get a sore shoulder and back from pushing and pulling the vacuum, but even my 6 yr. old can vacuum with the Dyson. He was in charge of vacuuming today, actually. :D