Menu

It is important to wean your child by his/her first birthday

to prevent tooth decay.

ETA: they said bottles or nursing!

I was just put on hold when I called our pediatric dentist and a recorded message came on with dental health stuff voiced over.

This is one of the things she said.

I knew I could come here to find out why that is inaccurate.....so, fill me in.

Why are they saying this?

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

to prevent tooth decay.

I was just put on hold when I called our pediatric dentist and a recorded message came on with dental health stuff voiced over.

This is one of the things she said.

I knew I could come here to find out why that is inaccurate.....so, fill me in.

Why are they saying this?

Dawn

Surely they are talking about bottles and formula and not breastfeeding:confused:

Because they have no idea what's going on and have never read medical literature. OR they are talking about weaning your baby off bottles of juice or formula bottles left with baby at night, as that has been linked to tooth decay. Breastmilk is protective of tooth decay, which they would know if they read any medical journals.

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/tooth-decay/

But you'll find I disagree with most everything the AAP or AAPD says. But even they only specify: "Q. When should bottle-feeding be stopped?

Children should be weaned from the bottle at 12-14 months of age."

Because they have no idea what's going on and have never read medical literature. OR they are talking about weaning your baby off bottles of juice or formula bottles left with baby at night, as that has been linked to tooth decay. Breastmilk is protective of tooth decay, which they would know if they read any medical journals.

But you'll find I disagree with most everything the AAP or AAPD says. But even they only specify: "Q. When should bottle-feeding be stopped?

:iagree:

Because that is the standard line of almost every pediatric dentist. It is like the Gospel of the ADA, not to be questioned despite the evidence to the contrary.

Sort of like flouride treatments. I have had to fight tooth and nail to keep my kids from getting them. We have a family history thyroid disease coupled with minimal cavities (and those were only due to congenital defects on specific baby teeth or due to a bracket being put on incorrectly. ) The office staff acts like I am a bad mother for refusing them ... "Are you sure you don't want them?" "Your insurance pays for them." "But what if they get a cavity?" Like one tiny cavity was a major tragedy.

Stepping off my soap box and making a cup of tea ...

Another reason could be that it's easier to make a blanket statement than having to explain why some babies need to be weaned and others don't. Especially to the crowd that believes bottle feeding and breastfeeding are nutritionally the same.

Guest cowgirl24

I was told the same things but it was not until her 18 month checkup by then we were already trying to wean her off the bottle. I wish I would have known more information on what to do and how to do it when she was born. My first couple kids the doctors had no opinions back then one way or the other very confusing

It is an outdated, incorrect idea. They are welcome to their ideas but you do not have to fall for them. If they ask you this, you can choose to either lie to avoid their comments, or tell them you do not agree with them. Either choice is fine because it is your business as a parent.

FWIW our ped dentists do not promote this idea. Mainly they want them drinking water during the day once they are eating mostly food, with milk of choice at mealtimes however it is delivered, and water rinsing it off afterward. Regarding night nursing, they want the teeth rinsed with water afterward. They do not ever want kids drinking juice all day. Occasional juice should be rinsed off with water. They do not want kids carting around a cup of anything but water all day. Mainly they are promoting the idea of keeping the teeth clean and rinsed most of the time. They are not dictating when kids should be "weaned".

Edited by laundrycrisis

Because that is the standard line of almost every pediatric dentist. It is like the Gospel of the ADA, not to be questioned despite the evidence to the contrary.

Sort of like flouride treatments. I have had to fight tooth and nail to keep my kids from getting them. We have a family history thyroid disease coupled with minimal cavities (and those were only due to congenital defects on specific baby teeth or due to a bracket being put on incorrectly. ) The office staff acts like I am a bad mother for refusing them ... "Are you sure you don't want them?" "Your insurance pays for them." "But what if they get a cavity?" Like one tiny cavity was a major tragedy.

Stepping off my soap box and making a cup of tea ...

Another no-flouride mama here too - but can you elaborate on the link between flouride and thyroid disease? Haven't heard that before and I have Grave's Disease.

And ditto to the bad mama card - dd 5yo has yet to see a dentist because I can't find one willing to see her AND not do flouride AND no latex or powdered gloves due to allergy AND allow me to accompany her at all times AND deal with her ASD AND that takes her state insurance. I get yelled at twice a year about it from her insurance even though I have documented that NONE of their approved dentists will see her.

Eh. I nursed both my kids until age 2.75. One had horrible problems with cavities, and had 4 fillings/extractions by age 2.5, and no cavities at all after we night weaned. The other has had zero cavities.

The only difference is that the one with all the cavity issues was the kind of kid who wanted to nurse all night long into toddlerhood, while the cavity-free kid never nursed much at night. So in my experience, there is something to this, but only if they're nursing so much that they're simulating having a nighttime bottle in their mouth all night long.

Our pediatric dentist never hassled me at all about extended nursing, FWIW.

From what I've read on the subject, breastmilk is less likely to cause cavities than formula because it has something in it that kills the bacteria that causes tooth decay. If decay is already present, however, the sugar in breastmilk can make it worse. Also, breastmilk is stickier than formula, and can contribute to other foods sticking to the teeth, so you definitely need to brush after meals if you're breastfeeding and feeding other foods.

http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/ - he has information on the benefits of breastfeeding. He also has a power point presentation and comments on the slides in case you want to share some information.

Also, this article has research articles included (from professional journals, not just "folk wisdom") http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvaprmayjun06p27.html

I haven't read all the repsonses, but I don't think that's accurate. Even if it was true, I'd rather brush my child's teeth and continue nursing. The benefits of nursing would outweigh any teeth concerns.

FTR, both my boys nursed long past one year with no decay issues. We brushed with water, then non-fluoride toothpaste and now use non-fluoride toothpowder. We also get regular cleanings (no fluoride treatments), limit sugar on teeth, etc.

I've never heard of that recommended before. But, I did know someone years ago who only nursed her baby. Now, this was over 20 years ago...so I don't remember all the facts. I don't remember if the baby already had teeth that got rotted or if they came in and were rotten. But anyway....she ended up with a lot of silver in her mouth. I remember them saying that she nursed a lot at night and that the breast milk must have always pooled in her mouth. But, I've never heard of that happening to anyone else.....maybe it's becoming more of a problem, I don't know.

ETA:.....I don't know if this would be just a coincidence or not...but both of my girls nursed long. One for two years and one longer. Both of them have had cavities. My son quit nursing on his own at about a year. He's never had a cavity. Hmmm......

Breastfeeding, specifically nighttime breastfeeding, can lead to tooth decay. Two of my children have suffered major tooth decay, the other two never had a problem. I don't think it's just how much they nurse at night--they've all been pretty extensive nursers! Some kids are just more susceptible, maybe they got the wrong type of bacteria in their mouth, maybe they have thinner enamel...don't really know. I have learned to watch closely for signs of decay, but I haven't give up the nighttime nursing. One thing I do is (as often as I remember) clean the top front teeth (the ones where my kids seem to develop decay) with a soft clean cloth before nursing.

And ditto to the bad mama card - dd 5yo has yet to see a dentist because I can't find one willing to see her AND not do flouride AND no latex or powdered gloves due to allergy AND allow me to accompany her at all times AND deal with her ASD AND that takes her state insurance. I get yelled at twice a year about it from her insurance even though I have documented that NONE of their approved dentists will see her.

Shame on them! Another example of professionals forgetting they work for you, not the other way around.

Our dentist does give me a hard time about the no fluoride treatments and no sealants, but I just politely remind her I am the parent and really do know best for MY child.

ETA: http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoride-dangers/health/thyroid/index.aspx

Edited by raceNzanesmom

Breastfeeding, specifically nighttime breastfeeding, can lead to tooth decay. Two of my children have suffered major tooth decay, the other two never had a problem. I don't think it's just how much they nurse at night--they've all been pretty extensive nursers! Some kids are just more susceptible, maybe they got the wrong type of bacteria in their mouth, maybe they have thinner enamel...don't really know. I have learned to watch closely for signs of decay, but I haven't give up the nighttime nursing. One thing I do is (as often as I remember) clean the top front teeth (the ones where my kids seem to develop decay) with a soft clean cloth before nursing.

Not according to the research. There is some data showing a genetic susceptibility to cavities that can be exacerbated by not brushing after eating, nursing, or bottle feeding, but that is a very small minority.

My totally irrelevant data for my own family: my oldest two dc were weaned early for medical reasons. Both had 2-4 cavities by age 8. By 7 yo was EBF even through the night for 2.5 years and still has perfect teeth. My 4 yo has my deep ridges and extra cusps and had two very small surface pre-cavities. I don't wash baby teeth before/after nursing. After about 9 months they join in on our daily toothbrushing, but I mostly let them chew on it. I don't even usually use toothpaste. Our dentist is ok with us not using fluoride. My 7 yo has profound Hashimoto's and so they do not use fluoride with any of my kids (or me) and we use fluoride free toothpaste now. Since we switched, we've had no new cavities.

lots of bottle baby fears. I weaned ranging from 18 months to youngest was 3 1/2 years. no teeth problems.

sugary drinks - juice - in a bottle to go to sleep is the concern about causing an increase in tooth decay because the juice just sits in their mouth.

Not according to the research. There is some data showing a genetic susceptibility to cavities that can be exacerbated by not brushing after eating, nursing, or bottle feeding, but that is a very small minority.

The research is actually divided. This study, for example, found a correlation between nighttime breastfeeding after 12 months and a higher incidence of tooth decay. Here's another study that found a "Breast-feeding and use of the bottle to intake liquids other than water produced significant caries susceptibility in 18-month-old children." Another study showing a correlation between extended breastfeeding and dental carries: "Children who were never breast-fed or were breast-fed beyond the age of 24 months had a higher prevalence of the more extensive pattern of caries."

From all I can learn, the etiology of early tooth decay is complex and not well understood (one interesting theory I came across suggested poor prenatal nutrition, specifically insufficient calcium and vitamin D, and a potential contributing factor), but there is evidence that extended breastfeeding and extended nighttime breastfeeding correlate to more tooth decay. I don't think this means we need to wean our children at 12 months--mine have each nursed for 23-48+ months, and this next baby will be breastfed for an extended period as well. I don't think that concern over tooth decay alone is reason to wean, and there are many benefits to extended breastfeeding. But the evidence as I read it shows the concern is valid and worth taking into consideration, at the very least mother who breastfeed for an extended period should pay careful attention to dental hygiene and be alert for signs of trouble.

--Sarah

The research is actually divided. This study, for example, found a correlation between nighttime breastfeeding after 12 months and a higher incidence of tooth decay. Here's another study that found a "Breast-feeding and use of the bottle to intake liquids other than water produced significant caries susceptibility in 18-month-old children." Another study showing a correlation between extended breastfeeding and dental carries: "Children who were never breast-fed or were breast-fed beyond the age of 24 months had a higher prevalence of the more extensive pattern of caries."

From all I can learn, the etiology of early tooth decay is complex and not well understood (one interesting theory I came across suggested poor prenatal nutrition, specifically insufficient calcium and vitamin D, and a potential contributing factor), but there is evidence that extended breastfeeding and extended nighttime breastfeeding correlate to more tooth decay. I don't think this means we need to wean our children at 12 months--mine have each nursed for 23-48+ months, and this next baby will be breastfed for an extended period as well. I don't think that concern over tooth decay alone is reason to wean, and there are many benefits to extended breastfeeding. But the evidence as I read it shows the concern is valid and worth taking into consideration, at the very least mother who breastfeed for an extended period should pay careful attention to dental hygiene and be alert for signs of trouble.

--Sarah

Anecdotally, the only toddlers I knew of with extensive tooth decay were night-time NURSERS. I don't know anyone who did the baby-bottle thing past a year. OTOH, I also knew extended nursing toddlers who did NOT have tooth decay, but I saw it happen enough to nursing toddlers that I believe bottle rot and nighttime nursing are similar or equal in the likelihood of causing decay.

I don't know what the absolute truth is on the dental decay issue. As the mom of 4 children, 2 who were breast fed until shortly after the first birthday, and 2 were bottle fed formula. I just hate threads that go on and on bashing fromula feeding. I was a former breast feeding snob, and have been very much amazed by how healthy my 3 formula fed babies have been. Frankly, they have had fewer colds and no ear infections. They were adopted and were placed with us at very short notice as infants. While I considered adoptive breast feeding, the short notice, less than 24 hours, and the fact that adoptive breast feeding rarely produces enough milk, led me to bottle feed. I have been asked numerous times by other homeschooling moms, and La Leche League members, if I am worried that my children will not be as intelligent, and am interrogated about their health. My 3 yr. old started reading on his own at age 18 mos., much to my surprise. DD is almost 12 mos. and already has a wonderful vocabulary. So no I'm not worried.

Sorry if anyone is offended by the vent. Formula feeding is not criminal nor cruel. It is in fact necessary in some cases, and those of us who have had to formula feed one or more children are thankful that there are decent formulas available. ;)

None of my children have had dental carries, except for my 2nd child (breast fed). I am told he had soft enamel, and I burshed, or wiped their teeth after nursing or bottle feeding.

Carry on. :001_smile:

:iagree:

I called our pediatric dentist and a recorded message came on with dental health stuff voiced over.

Well, you've seen both sides of the argument here, there is in fact evidence that extended breastfeeding can be linked to decay, but the correlation is not found in every study. A dentist is concerned ONLY with teeth, and so it is obvious to them that toddlers should be weaned. I don't think they bother to consider the other implications/benefits of extended nursing at all. There are trade-off in every choice we make. On this issue, I have seen sufficient evidence to believe that extended nursing (particularly lots of night time nursing) increases the chances of tooth decay BUT the correlation is not universal (i.e. not every child or probably even a majority of children will be negatively affected) nor is the somewhat increased risk of tooth decay sufficient reason for me to wean my children early. It is sufficient (especially after having two children with significant decay) to make be be more diligent with dental hygiene and watch closely for signs of problems.

:iagree::iagree:

Breastfeeding is GOOD for babies and toddlers.

Anecdotally, the only toddlers I knew of with extensive tooth decay were night-time NURSERS. I don't know anyone who did the baby-bottle thing past a year. OTOH, I also knew extended nursing toddlers who did NOT have tooth decay, but I saw it happen enough to nursing toddlers that I believe bottle rot and nighttime nursing are similar or equal in the likelihood of causing decay.

Nighttime nursing .....hmmmmm.....yeah, I can see that, where milk sits in a baby's mouth all night. That makes sense. My kids all nursed for a long time. Anecdotally, some have better teeth than others.....and I think more depended on my health during pregnancy....none were all night nursers and we haven't had huge issues with cavities.

I'm going to say they are very incorrect. I bf both mine until they were 2 and have never had cavities. IF you are giving your baby juice, then yes, that does cause decay and erosion. However I have read that bm actually has a bacteria or protein or something that prevents decay. Two differences in bottle over breast are that with bottles milk pools in the mouth. Also when bfing the milk enters the mouth behind the teeth.

No way would I wean because the benefits outway the potential hazard (which I think doesn't exist.)