Menu

American Heritage Girls?

I just found out about AHG about a week ago, and I requested more information. It looks like it's a Christian/conservative version of Girl Scouts. That appeals to my husband and I. I've wanted to sign DD up for the scouts, but I wasn't totally on board with Girl Scouts, but I was willing to sign DD up for GS's before finding out about AHG's. I was in GS's when I was a girl, so I thought it'd be great to sign my own daughters up for GS's. My main reason for not being on board with GS's is b/c of some of their more liberal ideals. Now that I've heard about AHG's, I think I'm more interested in signing her up for them.

I was hoping that some of you might have experience with AHG's. Have you had positive/negative experiences? Also, I found out that they meet 3 times a month. They meet on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Monday of the month. That seems like a lot of commitment. Just out of curiosity, I wonder if Girl Scouts meet that often. I was also wondering what their badges are like?

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by amselby81

We JUST started a troop here where we live and we've been very pleased so far! I'm not sure I can answer some of your more detailed questions since we just started a few months ago but they are very conservative which we love. We meet twice a month and that's just enough commitment for me. I believe that most girl scout troops meet weekly. We've really enjoyed it so far!!

We just started AHG as Trailblazers. That means we do it alone, since we have no troop nearby. So far I am very impressed. The book is great and the requirements are fun. The support has been great, also. My DD is loving it.

My son does Cub Scouts and our Pack meets weekly. We also usually have one activity per month on the weekend. From my perspective - the AHG group sounds pretty light for meetings.

If you are on the fence - see if you can go visit a meeting. Try them out. Attend an activity. No reason to commit without a good idea of that they are doing.

Thank you! I totally plan to go and visit for a meeting or activity. DD can't join until August or September, since she has a late birthday. I think I'm going to wait to check it out until she can almost join. I'd hate for her to get excited and ask to come back, only to have to wait 5 to 6 months before she can come back. :)

AHG is a Christian organization. I imagine how conservative/liberal a particular group is will vary. One reason we chose AHG is that I feel the organization has more of a focus on outdoor and camping skills than GS. They do not have a big focus on fundraising, which I also appreciate. I helped start our group almost 10 years ago. Our group is a fairly good mix of people. We meet 3-4 times a month with days off for holidays and leader meetings. The badge work is fairly simple for younger girls and gets progressively more difficult as the girls get older.

AHG is a Christian organization. I imagine how conservative/liberal a particular group is will vary. One reason we chose AHG is that I feel the organization has more of a focus on outdoor and camping skills than GS. They do not have a big focus on fundraising, which I also appreciate. I helped start our group almost 10 years ago. Our group is a fairly good mix of people. We meet 3-4 times a month with days off for holidays and leader meetings. The badge work is fairly simple for younger girls and gets progressively more difficult as the girls get older.

I totally agree. The outdoor emphasis and no salesmanship were huge for us. I just can't support the GS agenda, either. We are loving AHG.

I love our AHG group! My daughter joined 2 years ago when we first heard about it, and she's up for her Pioneer level award this year. There's a good mix of badgework, and at the higher levels, some of it is pretty challenging.

I love the focus on serving God, family, country, and community!

We joined AHG this year and at first I was really not in love with the group. Our little unit routinely spends 30 minutes on a devotional/lecture at every meeting. To me, 10 minutes would be sufficient. Also, the first few badges we worked on were very "schoolish" and required a lot of extra work (school-type work) from us outside of the meetings. I was sure we would quit next year.

But, I have changed my mind because the girls in the group are wonderful and my daughter has already made a few friends that she does things with outside of the group. Also, this second half of the year has involved a lot more fun activities. Yes, I am still tolerating the 30 minute devotionals (for a 1 1/2 hour meeting), but I am at the point that I am willing to overlook that for all the great friends my daughter has made as well as the fun and worthwhile activities they are doing. There have also been numerous service opportunities, which has been nice. It's not always easy to find those for young kids.

I think one of the reasons this group has worked so well for us is because it is almost all homeschoolers. My daughter has participated in GS since she was in K and was the only homeschooler. All the other girls went to school together and lived in the same neighborhood. While she got along with the other girls, it never resulted in friendship outside of the group. Plus, while the leader is wonderful, there are a number of girls in that group with some severe behavioral issues. Not saying that's typical of GS, but something that affected our decision to give AHG a try. Oh, and GS typically meets twice a month.

Lisa

My 11 yodd is in her third year in a local AHG troop and I like it.

I grew up in girl scouts going from 2nd to 12th grade (2nd was as young as it went back then). So, when my oldest was in kindergarten, I signed up to lead. I was surprised by how liberal the program was, as was evident in the council's leader training. Lots of tree-hugging, earth-worshiping activities, a mandate to not have a prayer except a generic song one before camp meals, over-the-top messages about inclusion. I was sad that the handbooks (I grew up with the old solid-colored ones that simply had the age level written on the front) had changed so much and dedicated many pages to "self esteem" and dating (as young as 4th grade), etc.

I lasted about 3 years as a leader and was tired of trying to filter out certain things and sneak in other things. And I was not happy with the links to Planned Parenthood, etc. A few hours on the internet uncovered links between GS and people and organizations that I did not want representing me.

So, for a few years, we did not do any sort of scouting for girls. My son, meanwhile, had a great time in Cub Scouts and now Boy Scouts. I was excited to learn about an AHG troop starting up. All three of my dd joined it, but my two teens only stayed in a year. None of their "good friends" were in the troop and they were already busy with dance, orchestra, and Science Olympiad -- and they saw AHG as too time-consuming.

Anyway, our troop has about 80 girls from K to 12 and they are well organized. We have two optional fund-raisers a year (we did one, not the other) and a good variety of outdoor, craft, music, serving activities.

They meet every other week with leaders meeting on some of the off weeks.

With another mom, we started our troop 7 years ago..wow! Time flies! We started with 8 girls and now have over 60, we are at full capacity, every troop decides how often they meet, for us it was much easier to meet every other week for 2 hours rather than every week for one.

Badges we have done as a troop: Golfing, Outdoor Skills, Textile Arts, Engineering, 7 C's of History, Citizenship and Government, Our Flag, Dance, Horsemanship, Canoeing, Puppetry, The Best Me I Can Be, Emergency Preparedness..etc.

Also summer camps are popping up throughout the country sponsored by local troops, My girls go to one in Knoxville and love it. We have been nothing but pleased, but I will add..if you join, please do all you can (I do not expect parents with little ones to have much time to give) to volunteer under some capacity...there is a huge time commitment for those in leadership positions and as a troop grows...more parents make light work :)

You all make it sound so wonderful. I'm so excited. My concern about 3 times a month being too much was b/c we already do soccer, 4H, and church on Wed. night, so joining AHG would make us quite busy some weeks. But it sounds like it might be worth it. We might end up dropping 4H for now anyway, b/c they just play right now.

I would LOVE to have an AHG troop that we could attend! The closest troop is an hour away and held at a Catholic church, so besides the drive, I worry that many of our beliefs would clash. :(

I have found that AHG troops are highly respectful of denominations, we have over 7 represented in our troop...I love that we can share our love for Christ and leave the particulars at the door...it has made me even more interested in the various denominations bc I see how regardless we are all sisters in Him and to love one another is key. We also have varieties of girls, it s wonderful for

Them to learn how to love those that are different or have struggles separate from our own. I only have camped with about nine other troops, but found this to be the case!

My dd joined AHG about a year ago. I am currently the badge manager for the troop (about 90 girls!). I love that it has a focus on service and leadership, as well as earning badges. I greatly appreciate the Christian atmosphere, where I can be confident that dd is not learning things that are against what our family believes. It has given her a good, safe place to grow and make friends.

I would be happy to answer and questions I can about AHG. I have learned so much in the year we have been a part of it.

I would LOVE to have an AHG troop that we could attend! The closest troop is an hour away and held at a Catholic church, so besides the drive, I worry that many of our beliefs would clash. :(

Our troop meets at a Methodist church and we have many denominations represented, including Catholics. I would talk to the troop leaders. You may be surprised just how many girls there are not Catholic either.

ETA: AHG mainly focuses on the fact that God is our heavenly father and Jesus his son. Also that Jesus is the only way to get to heaven. They do not try to convert girls to any denomination. They also do not get into discussions of denominational differences.

We have a Catholic leader and several Catholic girls in our troop (which meets at a GCI church). We really don't see many clashes. The leadership in our troop is understanding that Christians come in lots of flavors. There are plenty of beliefs that we all share, and we focus on those. I can't speak for all troops, but it works fine for us. :)

Both girls are in AHG here. Our troop is all homeschooled girls, so that's nice. Rebecca will be moving up to Explorer. I like it well enough and really appreciate that we don't have to sell things. Rebecca's earned a number of extra badges and even a pin for her gymnastics work.

Ours meets at a Church of Christ, but they don't necessarily follow every convention of CoC.

We have also joined a new AHG troop. My girls love it - I have one in almost every level. What I particularly love about our group (although dynamics may be different in other troops) is that the older girls are truly given responsibilities, not just in their own level, but also in planning and carrying out activities and projects for the younger girls.

Oh, and at the opening "meeting", our girls get to learn all those fun campfire songs, and it's so much fun, I can't help but sing along.

Just thought of another thing to add. Several mentioned that some of the badges go along with things they are learning in their schoolwork. I was talking to an AHG mom recently whose twin 14yo dd's are at the Pi/Pa level. She was telling me how she worked up a whole Civics study that covered several of the badges at their level (and there's a lot of work to earn a badge at that level!). I think she included some other homeschool girls from the troop also and they all received a semester credit for their work. I did think to tell her that she needs to work up what she did into a format that I (and others) can use when our girls get older. ;)

Angie,

I'm a Troop coordinator for AHG; I lead a Troop of about 50 girls.

You're right in that it's very similar to Girl Scouts -- it was actually founded by a group of families that was looking for an alternative to GS that would incorporate Christian values. Personally, I think it's a little more similar to Boy Scouts these days, in terms of activities and values.

I highly recommend you at least check the program out -- Troops vary, of course, but they've got a solid foundation under them.

Here's a bit of technical info -- Girl Scout Troops are owned and operated by GSUSA. AHG Troops are chartered -- owned and operated -- by their Charter Organizations (usually churches or other Christian non-profit). This means that everything a Troop does is reviewed and approved by the Charter Org. If some new program or directive comes down from the AHG national office that the Charter Org doesn't approve of, the Charter wins. If the disagreement is crucial enough, the Troop will actually have to disband. Sounds terrible, but what that actually means is there's a great set of checks on the direction of the national office -- prevents a lot of the cultural drift that has affected GS in recent years.

Happy to answer any other questions you have!

KC

My girls are in AHG this year. I'm impressed with the program and it's just what we were looking for. It's more GSy than GS. :) More like Boy Scouts. They have had martial arts and shooting and archery, things we never did in GS. They do have religious stuff mixed in, too. Which is probably unneccessary. (they go to church, co-op, bible in hs, they probably don't need another devotional.) But the program is great. The closest one to us in a bit too far, so I've already decided we're not doing it next year. But I wish we could.

. I like it well enough and really appreciate that we don't have to sell things. .

Oh, I wish! That's my one complaint. (It must vary by troop) Our troop requires selling a certain amount per girl or you pay it. And all their fundraisers have been party style MLMs. So the girls aren't even the ones doing the fundraising. I hate MLMs in general, now I'm stuck hitting up my family and friends or paying another chunk of change. DH jokes that I should've known better than to pick an activity on the rich side of town. lol

Oh, I wish! That's my one complaint. (It must vary by troop) Our troop requires selling a certain amount per girl or you pay it.

I think this is true of most troops. Each troop pays $20 per registered girl to national per year. Our troop has over 50 families, most with more than one girl in the troop. So, that is a big expense for our troop before the troop even keeps any money for badges, camping, leader registration, troopmaster, scholarships for girls or any of that other stuff.

And all their fundraisers have been party style MLMs. So the girls aren't even the ones doing the fundraising. I hate MLMs in general, now I'm stuck hitting up my family and friends or paying another chunk of change. DH jokes that I should've known better than to pick an activity on the rich side of town. lol

Maybe you should volunteer as fundraiser co-ordinator? :) Our two biggest fundraisers this past year (each troop is allowed three per year) were selling Yankee candles (far away relatives can order online, a big bonus for our military-heavy troop) and selling candy bars. The one usual drawback with the candy bars is that you have to pay up front. But, we found a local school that had a bunch of leftovers they had not sold, so we were able to pick them up and write them a check after our sale. It worked out well for us.

Oh, I wish! That's my one complaint. (It must vary by troop) Our troop requires selling a certain amount per girl or you pay it. lol

Out troop's fundraisers a much different. We did Wreath Across America, which is great because it is also a service project. They held a spaghetti supper on Ash Wed and in May we are selling donuts and candles in front of a grocery store. The only one I asked friends and family to help with is WAA, but it was for 2 good causes (AHG and honoring military), so many did not mind helping.

I have found that AHG troops are highly respectful of denominations, we have over 7 represented in our troop...I love that we can share our love for Christ and leave the particulars at the door...it has made me even more interested in the various denominations bc I see how regardless we are all sisters in Him and to love one another is key. We also have varieties of girls, it s wonderful for

Them to learn how to love those that are different or have struggles separate from our own. I only have camped with about nine other troops, but found this to be the case!

Our troop meets at a Methodist church and we have many denominations represented, including Catholics. I would talk to the troop leaders. You may be surprised just how many girls there are not Catholic either.

ETA: AHG mainly focuses on the fact that God is our heavenly father and Jesus his son. Also that Jesus is the only way to get to heaven. They do not try to convert girls to any denomination. They also do not get into discussions of denominational differences.

We have a Catholic leader and several Catholic girls in our troop (which meets at a GCI church). We really don't see many clashes. The leadership in our troop is understanding that Christians come in lots of flavors. There are plenty of beliefs that we all share, and we focus on those. I can't speak for all troops, but it works fine for us. :)

Good to know. Thanks! BUT it's still an HOUR drive. :glare:

Oh, I know they work hard. That's why i'm complaining here and not go them! :D my original thought when signing the girls up, was that we'd start our own troop here if they liked it. I didn't really want to do that withou trying it first or seeing how it worked. Plans have changed and we're having a baby instead. ;)

I wish I could find DD an AHG troop. All we have around here are GS, which I don't much want to do. Anyone in the Memphis or Jackson, TN area want to start a troop? I'll join! I'll help! I'd love to start one in our town, but I don't think I'd get much interest.

We participated for a year in AHG then moved. My daughter and I enjoyed the program, but it is not established in our area. I've been looking into Frontier Girls as a possible alternative because it looks simpler to set up and run and I think might go over better in this area--it seems very flexible, there are tons of badges available. The same group offers a program called Quest Clubs that can be done as a family or a group with boys and girls--my sons will do boy scouts and I want and all-girls program for the girls, but I think doing Quest as a family and earning badges related to homeschool and family activities would be fun.

--Sarah

As for the fundraising, the troop that I contacted hasn't decided what they will do next year. The leader said that this year was the troop's first, and they had two fundraisers. They might give the parents the option to pay a little bit more to not participate in fundraisers. We'd probably pay the extra b/c I HATE asking people to buy stuff. And we'd probably end up purchasing something from those fundraisers too, and have only a small portion help the troop.

I wish I could find DD an AHG troop. All we have around here are GS, which I don't much want to do. Anyone in the Memphis or Jackson, TN area want to start a troop? I'll join! I'll help! I'd love to start one in our town, but I don't think I'd get much interest.

I just found out yesterday that there is a troop in Bartlett. We are going to visit with them next week. I don't know much, but if you want, I can share the info I do know about them.

hth

• 3 weeks later...