Menu

LDS General Conference Discussion Thread

This thread is for discussion about the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that was held this weekend. I know there are other LDS ladies here who are looking forward to chatting about this, but anyone is welcome. I would just ask that everyone please be courteous, and if a tangent comes up that strays too far from "General Conference", like a question about general LDS doctrine or practice, maybe you could start a separate thread so we can keep this one more focused on the topic. Thanks in advance, I know this is a very kind and respectful group of people.

If you want to follow along with what we're talking about, the conference is archived on the church website. I think we'll be trying to go through sort of systematically, one talk at a time, and the talks are posted separately in the archive, so you could listen to just the one currently under discussion without having to sit through a whole two hour session. Also, the archives aren't all posted yet because the conference just ended, but in the next few days there will be text transcripts that will make it easier to pull out quotes for discussion.

Anyway, here's a link to the archive: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2012/4?lang=eng

Happy chatting. :)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first talk in the Saturday morning session was by Thomas S. Monson, the current president of the church. Link

One thing that I appreciated was that he pointed out that while there are lots of ugly, depressing things going on in the world, there are also many wonderful and uplifting things, and that as our 13th article of faith states, "...if there is anything virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." It's a good reminder, I think. Too often people around us seem to be focusing on any little negative tidbit they can dig up, and it's easy to get caught up in the criticism and gossip and mocking and tearing down, when we really should be looking for the good in people and in life.

Edited by MamaSheep

I'm going to come back and join in once I have some more time to ponder....right now the themes that have jumped out to me have been about handling adversity, seeking personal revelation, and about the role of the prophet.

My favorite talks:

Sister Dalton's "shiny" talk from the young women session

Elder Scott's talk from Saturday afternoon (I might tape it into the back of my scriptures for easy reference)

Elder Uchtdorf's from today--especially the bumper sticker quote "don't judge me because my sins are different than yours"

My kids are super restless so I'll jump back in with clearer thoughts when things are more settled here.

I love when President Monson speaks! He is such a positive person and I find that rubbing off on me. He is optimistic and encouraging and honestly, I'm always smiling by the time he's finished speaking.

I love how he reminds us that to live in the time we do is a blessing. There is no reason that we shouldn't feel joy and gladness to be where we are and doing what we're doing.

I also love how he reminds us that God is in charge and that "no unhallowed hand can stop the work of God". That is such a comfort to me. The Lord is in charge and nothing will thwart His plans for us.

This talk helped me to refocus my frame of reference. To look for the good, the positive, and the uplifting in situations and people around me. To feel joy in service and joy in my life.

"Our Heavenly Father is mindful of each of us and our needs." We are not alone. We are never alone. We are children of God and He loves us. What a wonderful message. :001_smile:

I'm going to come back and join in once I have some more time to ponder....right now the themes that have jumped out to me have been about handling adversity, seeking personal revelation, and about the role of the prophet.

My favorite talks:

Elder Scott's talk from Saturday afternoon (I might tape it into the back of my scriptures for easy reference)

Elder Uchtdorf's from today--especially the bumper sticker quote "don't judge me because my sins are different than yours"

My kids are super restless so I'll jump back in with clearer thoughts when things are more settled here.

Oh sis Dalton's talk was AMAZING. If you didn't get to see the YW broadast you should definitely take time to watch it. No one can invite teenage girls to repentance in such a powerful and positive way like she can. You can truly see the Savior in her countenance! My friend's dughter was watching that night and she came home filled with the Spirit and has decided to be baptized. Awesome.

my phone is about to die... I'll post later. :)

I just found the entire conference so uplifting and beautiful. Really filled up my spiritual cup. I needed that.

:iagree::iagree: I'm having trouble remembering individual talks now. I'm going to have to put them on my iPhone and relisten over the next few weeks. I really enjoyed Elder Uchdorf's talk though. LOTS about the love of God and the worth of souls this time!

I love when President Monson speaks! He is such a positive person and I find that rubbing off on me. He is optimistic and encouraging and honestly, I'm always smiling by the time he's finished speaking.

I love how he reminds us that to live in the time we do is a blessing. There is no reason that we shouldn't feel joy and gladness to be where we are and doing what we're doing.

I also love how he reminds us that God is in charge and that "no unhallowed hand can stop the work of God". That is such a comfort to me. The Lord is in charge and nothing will thwart His plans for us.

This talk helped me to refocus my frame of reference. To look for the good, the positive, and the uplifting in situations and people around me. To feel joy in service and joy in my life.

"Our Heavenly Father is mindful of each of us and our needs." We are not alone. We are never alone. We are children of God and He loves us. What a wonderful message. :001_smile:

This, to me, sums up the general "theme" I noticed with this Conference. And I particularly liked when [i forget who] of the 70 pretty much quoted part of the talk Elder Nelson (I believe?) had *just* made, as part of his talk. Gave me chills. That was such a moving talk (and what a cute little grandson!)

I love President Monson's sense of humor. It gives me hope that the people closest to the Savior are so cheerful and optimistic.

A couple of things ended up in my notes:

We are here (at conference) to strengthen one another, encourage, comfort, build faith, and learn. - very positive and encouraging

You will find answers (as you listen) to struggles, disappointments, and losses. - and I did.

Heavenly Father is mindful of each of us and our needs.

Of course I found that to be exactly true, as usual ;). I had some very specific problems and now I have some very specific answers. :) It isn't every talk and every conference but sometimes I feel like the speaker is sitting in my living room, speaking just to me. Ya' know - the talk starts and you jerk your head around because they said ex-act-ly what you were thinking about? And I have to furiously start taking notes. Thank goodness for a dvr and rewind buttons.

Edited by jcooperetc

We didn't really have any specific problems or questions this time, but of course there are always things to get out of it :D. There have been two times in the last couple of years though, where we did listen with very specific questions (homeschooling was one of them) and got counsel that seemed tailored to us. This time around, I was aware of the struggles of someone else, and a few times and thought, "Oh! I hope she heard that!"

My favorite talks:

I too loved these! I tell my daughter now to put her shiny on, lol. She just laughs. I want that bumper sticker, lol.

I too plan to put them on my phone and listen to them again. There is always SO much to take in.

We ended up with three young girls that came to listen and though they were a little restless, they did fill out a few things on my conference packet from Primary :D

Hmm...maybe trying to take it one talk at a time isn't going to work after all...lol.

To be sure, though, the first one was mostly just a "welcome to conference" speech. Less than six minutes.

Elder Packer talked next. His talk is almost 17 minutes long and covered a good bit more territory. Link

Listening to it again just now, here are some quotes that I liked (this is just me trying to transcribe from the video, so please forgive errors):

"The creation of life is a great responsibility for a married couple. It is a challenge of mortality to be a worthy and responsible parent. Neither man nor woman can bear children alone. It was meant that children have two parents, both a father and a mother. No other pattern or process can replace this one."

"It is not easy, but life was never meant to be either easy or fair. Repentance, and the lasting hope that forgiveness brings will always be worth the effort."

"Husband and wife should understand that their first calling, from which they will never be released, is to one another, and then to their children. One of the great discoveries of parenthood is that we learn far more about what really matters from our children than ever we did from our parents. We come to recognize the truth in Isaiah's prophecy that 'a little child shall lead them'."

"In all that we do in the church, we need to provide the way as leaders for parents and children to have time together as families. Priesthood leaders must be careful to make the church family friendly. There are many things about living the gospel of Jesus Christ that cannot be measured by that which is counted or charted in records of attendance. We busy ourselves with buildings and budgets and programs and procedures. In doing so it is possible to overlook the very spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Too often someone comes to me and says, 'President Packer, wouldn't it be nice if...' I usually stop them and say, 'No,' because I suspect that what follows will be a new activity or program that is going to add a burden of time [..mumbled..] financial means on the family. Family time is sacred time and should be protected and respected."

I love President Monson's sense of humor. It gives me hope that the people closest to the Savior are so cheerful and optimistic.

A couple of things ended up in my notes:

We are here (at conference) to strengthen one another, encourage, comfort, build faith, and learn. - very positive and encouraging

You will find answers (as you listen) to struggles, disappointments, and losses. - and I did.

Heavenly Father is mindful of each of us and our needs.

Of course I found that to be exactly true, as usual ;). I had some very specific problems and now I have some very specific answers. :) It isn't every talk and every conference but sometimes I feel like the speaker is sitting in my living room, speaking just to me. Ya' know - the talk starts and you jerk your head around because they said ex-act-ly what you were thinking about? And I have to furiously start taking notes. Thank goodness for a dvr and rewind buttons.

We didn't really have any specific problems or questions this time, but of course there are always things to get out of it :D. There have been two times in the last couple of years though, where we did listen with very specific questions (homeschooling was one of them) and got counsel that seemed tailored to us. This time around, I was aware of the struggles of someone else, and a few times and thought, "Oh! I hope she heard that!"

This was one of those conferences that had a lot of talks that really hit home for me, personally. There was one talk where dh and I laughed because I had been on an extended rant about the same topic not long ago and I had said, "I really wish one of the brethren would stand up there in conference and say [insert rant here]!" And sure enough, one of them actually did. Almost word for word.

And I think I got a question of mine answered as well. But I'm not really sure I'm happy about the answer. It will mean I have to do some things that are WAAAY outside my little introverty comfort zone.

I liked President Packer's talk, too. It was a lovely reminder of what is truly important in life and where our focus should be....our family.

I loved his emphasis on the sacredness of the family unit and how important children were to the Savior.

"It was the Savior who taught His followers to pray for, bless and teach the little ones." Of course, as a homeschooling mother, that really spoke to me.

And this quote:

“Fathers and mothers, next time you cradle a newborn child in your arms you can have an inner vision of the mysteries and purposes of life. You will better understand why the Church is as it is and why the family is the basic organization in time and all eternity.”

Loved that as well. :001_smile:

I thought Elder Hallstrom's talk about the differences between the church and the gospel were interesting, and about its being possible to be active in the church, but inactive in the gospel. Do you think the opposite is true- that you can be inactive in the church and active in the gospel? I feel like that now since the church isn't organized here. It's made me think a lot about the differences between the church and the gospel and what each might mean.

I thought Elder Hallstrom's talk about the differences between the church and the gospel were interesting, and about its being possible to be active in the church, but inactive in the gospel. Do you think the opposite is true- that you can be inactive in the church and active in the gospel? I feel like that now since the church isn't organized here. It's made me think a lot about the differences between the church and the gospel and what each might mean.

I think that is true. I have friends that can't attend church. They are super sensitive to smells and it makes them really sick. They don't go out much, but they are still active in capacities that they can fulfill. In your situation, you do what you can. Church is just held in a building because it's a convenient place for everyone to meet. We can meet in homes, odd buildings, meeting houses, etc. It's a matter of what we have available. In your case I guess that would mean in your home, in actions, in thoughts, in your heart.

That talk hit home with me as well. I am very active in my ward, but often times personal scripture time and prayers fall by the wayside. I need to make the gospel a more personal and active part of my life.

We went around the room at the end of conference and discussed what we all felt we needed to personally work on---family scripture and prayer time came up as well for our family. We are going to do that each evening from now on. We use to do it every morning, but as my kids have gone to early morning seminary that has fallen by the wayside. We need to adjust.

On a very exciting note---my husband (who is not a member) sat and listened to the morning session with me and attended the priesthood session with my sons. And this morning he started a conversation about President Uchtdorf's talk from the priesthood session. Small, but exciting to me.

On a very exciting note---my husband (who is not a member) sat and listened to the morning session with me and attended the priesthood session with my sons. And this morning he started a conversation about President Uchtdorf's talk from the priesthood session. Small, but exciting to me.

Popping in here for a second, that's HUGE! And so wonderful. My dh has been inactive for eight years now and I pray every day and night for that. How wonderful and comforting.

Oh, and as far as talks go, I really enjoyed the one by Elder Wilson this afternoon. It's something that I've been thinking about a lot lately--mistakes and developing and growing.

I've only managed to watch the Saturday session so far.

My Favourite 2 talks

President Henry B. Eyring: Mountains to Climb

Elder David S. Baxter: Faith, Fortitude, Fulfillment: A Message to Single Parents

I am not a single parent family but I grew up in one. We were very much treated as second class citizens because we weren't "an eternal family". I think this talk was much needed.

And my least favourite talk (are we allowed to complain about anything ;))

Elder Donald L. Hallstrom: The Gospel and the Church

It sounded very braggy to me - if I was of another denomination and listening in for the first time I probably would have taken offence to the first half of the talk. JMO - won't go into my dislike further because I'm guessing this is not what this thread is for ;)

I've only managed to watch the Saturday session so far.

My Favourite 2 talks

President Henry B. Eyring: Mountains to Climb

Elder David S. Baxter: Faith, Fortitude, Fulfillment: A Message to Single Parents

I am not a single parent family but I grew up in one. We were very much treated as second class citizens because we weren't "an eternal family". I think this talk was much needed.

And my least favourite talk (are we allowed to complain about anything ;))

Elder Donald L. Hallstrom: The Gospel and the Church

It sounded very braggy to me - if I was of another denomination and listening in for the first time I probably would have taken offence to the first half of the talk. JMO - won't go into my dislike further because I'm guessing this is not what this thread is for ;)

I thought the single parent talk was very good too, especially coming from someone who was raised by a single mother.

But about Elder Hallstrom's talk- I'm going to have to go back and listen to that one again because I didn't get the braggy part. There were certainly some other talks that felt that way to me, but I really liked how he talked about the church and the gospel not being the same thing. Or maybe the second part of the talk pushed the first part out of my head.

I think that is true. I have friends that can't attend church. They are super sensitive to smells and it makes them really sick. They don't go out much, but they are still active in capacities that they can fulfill. In your situation, you do what you can. Church is just held in a building because it's a convenient place for everyone to meet. We can meet in homes, odd buildings, meeting houses, etc. It's a matter of what we have available. In your case I guess that would mean in your home, in actions, in thoughts, in your heart.

Thanks, countrygirl.

I always wonder if there's more we can do for the people who can't be active in the traditional sense. I know that after spending several years here that both my husband and I are far more aware of people whose lives don't let them participate the way they'd like to. But it's a lot easier to think of ways to help the older woman in your ward who can't make it to church than to support, for example, an LDS woman living in a different country with no members of the church around her. We know too many women in that situation and it feels that there should be more that we can do. The ordinances of the gospel are important to them too.

I liked President Packer's talk, too. It was a lovely reminder of what is truly important in life and where our focus should be....our family.

I loved his emphasis on the sacredness of the family unit and how important children were to the Savior.

"It was the Savior who taught His followers to pray for, bless and teach the little ones." Of course, as a homeschooling mother, that really spoke to me.

And this quote:

“Fathers and mothers, next time you cradle a newborn child in your arms you can have an inner vision of the mysteries and purposes of life. You will better understand why the Church is as it is and why the family is the basic organization in time and all eternity.â€

Loved that as well. :001_smile:

Yes! Sister Esplin's talk also spoke to the homeschooling mama part of me. Especially the part where she talked about not just "teaching the doctrine to our children", but "teaching our children to understand the doctrine". I loved that she emphasized the difference between just floating the information out there, and really discussing it with our children and making sure they understand how it really works, and why it's really important.

Her comments about teaching in the context of the moment hit home in that way too. I'm grateful to have been around for so many of those "moments" for my children, and for my son especially. Dd almost seems to have come pre-programmed with an uncanny depth of understanding about spiritual things, and when she does have a question she's really good at remembering it and asking at an opportune moment. Ds needs to process things verbally in order to really solidify his understanding and be able to access it at will in his memory. But he has difficulty expressing himself (due to the autism), particularly when he's experiencing strong emotions, and I think it has made a big difference for him to be able to stop and discuss life as needed, with someone who loves him enough to wade through his sometimes disjointed communication style, and to be able to ask questions when he has them and not have to wait until he gets home from school, or a parent gets home from work. I sometimes wonder if parents who are not home with their children realize the opportunities they miss. And I also wonder if one reason our society has some of the problems it does is because when so many kids had those "teaching moments" the only adult around was a harried teacher or daycare worker whose hands were too full of other things to stop and help one child gain that depth of understanding.

MamaSheep---back to the talk you brought up....

I really appreciate the fact that there is conscious discussion on the fact that new programs can lead to more burdens on families. In some of the larger wards, there are enough people to go around, but here it is not uncommon (even in a ward of 300ish) for both husband and wife to have callings that place significant demands on their time. We're in that position right now and we have to work really hard to find quality time when all of the family can be together. One of the reasons we homeschool is so that we can have quality time with our children.

Beyond that, I think a lot of our youth are overscheduled. Some of the YW I serve don't ever see their parents during the week....they are up early for seminary, gone all day at school, playing sports after school, and then running to evening activities....and starting homework at 10pm. Families need to make family time a priority. ;)

I really appreciate the fact that there is conscious discussion on the fact that new programs can lead to more burdens on families. In some of the larger wards, there are enough people to go around, but here it is not uncommon (even in a ward of 300ish) for both husband and wife to have callings that place significant demands on their time. We're in that position right now and we have to work really hard to find quality time when all of the family can be together. One of the reasons we homeschool is so that we can have quality time with our children.

Beyond that, I think a lot of our youth are overscheduled. Some of the YW I serve don't ever see their parents during the week....they are up early for seminary, gone all day at school, playing sports after school, and then running to evening activities....and starting homework at 10pm. Families need to make family time a priority. ;)

I agree with this. Yesterday I was excited about 4 hours of conference because it is one of the only Sundays I don't have several meetings to be at on top of church. Most Sundays, I have a meeting before church and then once a month a have a Sunday meeting in the evening. On top of that I have five teens that have church meetings on top of the 3 hour block, and usually visiting teaching has to fit in on Sundays because the sisters I visit are only available on Sundays since they work during the week. So just Sunday alone is sucked up by church meetings! Not conducive to a restful day.

YES!! That's why that part really jumped out at me. I sometimes feel like maybe our kids are not doing "enough", but what we do fits our pace and our ability levels and gives us time to form and maintain solid relationships, which I think is more important than all the extracurriculars I hear about from "the neighbors". And I really do appreciate the church's stance that family time is sacred.

I loved that talk "from the perspective that he meant it". It made me groan though because I have some family members who are going to use it as an excuse to not attend Church and be justified. I guess someone who thinks that way doesn't really have a testimony anyway but, to be honest, it was a little bit of an ouch for me.

I do know people who are totally "active" and busy at church but it is all to be seen, all about pride, and they so easily get offended and fall away and we have to tippy toe around them. We also have some friends whose young daughter tells about the partying the young men do on Saturday night and then pass the Sacrament on Sunday. Yikes!

I am ultimately glad it is up to a loving Savior to know what is in our complicated hearts.

Not small at all and very sweet.

Wow! There is so much good commentary on here. Looks like everyone's head is swimming with thoughts and ideas. This makes me want to get up and listen to a talk every morning and come here and talk and read about it.

I loved the talk about being single in the Church. I am not, but many of my very best friends are recently divorced and it is so hard to see how this affects their ability to participate. They are wonderful, hard working, valiant women with strong testimonies but because of stupid stupid things their husbands did, their lives here have changed dramatically. Our Ward is very supportive and (fortunately or unfortunately) there is a core that are all friends, but it is still hard to see them struggle. I know the family and the standard have to come first, it is just hard to see them a little bit out of the mainstream. I am going to miss Sister Beck's presidency and the varied experiences they brought from outside the country and from a single sister.

Looking back on this, it sounds so negative. I just assume the positives I guess and only chatter on about the things that poke at me. I do know the Savior is in charge and that the callings and talks were inspired, in case anyone was wondering :)

Edited by jcooperetc

I agree with this. Yesterday I was excited about 4 hours of conference because it is one of the only Sundays I don't have several meetings to be at on top of church. Most Sundays, I have a meeting before church and then once a month a have a Sunday meeting in the evening. On top of that I have five teens that have church meetings on top of the 3 hour block, and usually visiting teaching has to fit in on Sundays because the sisters I visit are only available on Sundays since they work during the week. So just Sunday alone is sucked up by church meetings! Not conducive to a restful day.

Yes, I agree too, but what do you think could really be done about it? I'm not just talking about busy Sundays, but about the many overwhelmed LDS families out there who have so many good things they're trying to do. Do we put too much responsibility on a few people? I know that my husband and I have rarely felt overwhelmed by church callings and responsibilities when we lived in the US, but we also moved often and never got time-intensive callings. It doesn't seem fair that in 15 years of married life that we've always been able to rely on others' time.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if we could volunteer for callings- for example, if my family who will soon have two deacons could have weekly activities for that age at our house and have my husband teach their Sunday School class. I don't know if that's a great example, but I think that if we felt more like we could just do something if we saw a gap, it might help. I'd also love to see more online meetings, especially in places where wards and branches cover a large area. I'm convinced that online meetings can be as effective as in-person ones.

Do you think the opposite is true- that you can be inactive in the church and active in the gospel?

I think yes. My best friend has several things going against her and hasn't been to church in a couple years. She fully admits that her reasons are just excuses and that she does need to get back to going to church. Hopefully soon. But, even though she hasn't been attending church, she has been consistently reading her scriptures, praying daily, and has a very deep, strong testimony of the gospel and Heavenly Father and Jesus. She knows she needs to attend church, too (she's in a location where the church is very much organized and all), but she's always felt active in the gospel regardless of her physical church attendance. I agree with her.

This was our first conference. I loved all the talks! A friend invited us over so we got to be with 2 other families. I know that I missed some of the nuance of the talks as I was dealing with my younger two. For FHE tonight, we're going to discuss what each of us got out of conference. The littles will probably say they liked it because of the candy. :lol:

Elder Packer's talk was just so wonderful to me. I am ward RS Pres and my DH is a counselor in our bishopric. He also commutes a long distance for a high stress IT management job and works as an adjunct professor teaching 1-2 nights a week (because he loves to teach so that is his choice). Talk about being spread thin, though! The last thing we need is MORE meetings/responsibilities. Our ward is also really spread out. Just makes everything more time consuming and expensive. Balance is key for us.

I loved Elder Hallstrom's talk. I didn't feel it was braggy at all. I'll have to relisten to see what you mean. It really touched me as I've struggled with the difference between living the gospel and being "active" in the church (I'm both but could live the gospel better). I need to do a better job filling my spiritual cup daily.

I found so many things in the conference that spoke to me.

Yes, I agree too, but what do you think could really be done about it? I'm not just talking about busy Sundays, but about the many overwhelmed LDS families out there who have so many good things they're trying to do. Do we put too much responsibility on a few people? I know that my husband and I have rarely felt overwhelmed by church callings and responsibilities when we lived in the US, but we also moved often and never got time-intensive callings. It doesn't seem fair that in 15 years of married life that we've always been able to rely on others' time.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if we could volunteer for callings- for example, if my family who will soon have two deacons could have weekly activities for that age at our house and have my husband teach their Sunday School class. I don't know if that's a great example, but I think that if we felt more like we could just do something if we saw a gap, it might help. I'd also love to see more online meetings, especially in places where wards and branches cover a large area. I'm convinced that online meetings can be as effective as in-person ones.

What can be done? In my case, I think people could be a bit more sensitive

to my situation. I do have a ward calling that takes a lot of time as well as a stake obligation. I love my callings and want to fulfill them and would never say no when asked. But it is the unawareness of youth leadership that is hard. I don't have a priesthood holder to help with priesthood things with my sons. I think it is hard to imagine how things are for others when we don't walk in their shoes. Fast offerings is one of those things that drives me crazy. I feel that a priesthood holder should step in to help with this. I have requested that several different times without good results. I don't think they can see what it actually takes for me to drive two boys on two different routes while also having a meeting before church and a three girls that need to come along for the ride because of time restraints. I know my boys and girls are learning from the situation, but it is hard. I also have a hard time keeping track of what is going on with priesthood. Having five teens is hard! no matter what!

And I would say if you see a gap, go talk to the bishop!

Perhaps we are so use to everything being ordered and structured for us, we forget to just think about what Christ would want us to do. He would want the widow cared for, but we aren't her visiting or home teacher so that isn't something we focus on. The mom with the crying baby and restless toddler isn't under our care, so someone else will help or she will figure it out. The single mom has a home teacher that takes care of her, ect.

Hope I don't come across as bitter--not my intent. And the kind of care I'm talking about has differed in all the different wards I've been in. Some wards are doing a wonderful job of being a ward families---other wards not so much.

Edited by missmoe

I was pondering over this too. I sometimes think this is how ds will end up. He's active in the church right now pretty much only because we insist that we're all going as a family thankyouverymuchsir. It's so hard for him to be around a lot of people, I worry that when he leaves home he'll quit going. On the other hand, when he discusses gospel subjects it's clear that his beliefs run strong and deep, at least in many areas. He's only 14 (at least for a couple more weeks...gah!) though, so there's time for him to grow. Of course I want him to be "active" in both the church and the gospel, but honestly if I had to pick one or the other for him I'd pick active in the gospel and let church attendance suffer over the other way around. I dunno. A mom worries.

"The creation of life is a great responsibility for a married couple. It is a challenge of mortality to be a worthy and responsible parent. Neither man nor woman can bear children alone. It was meant that children have two parents, both a father and a mother. No other pattern or process can replace this one."

"It is not easy, but life was never meant to be either easy or fair. Repentance, and the lasting hope that forgiveness brings will always be worth the effort."

"Husband and wife should understand that their first calling, from which they will never be released, is to one another, and then to their children. One of the great discoveries of parenthood is that we learn far more about what really matters from our children than ever we did from our parents. We come to recognize the truth in Isaiah's prophecy that 'a little child shall lead them'."

"In all that we do in the church, we need to provide the way as leaders for parents and children to have time together as families. Priesthood leaders must be careful to make the church family friendly. There are many things about living the gospel of Jesus Christ that cannot be measured by that which is counted or charted in records of attendance. We busy ourselves with buildings and budgets and programs and procedures. In doing so it is possible to overlook the very spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Too often someone comes to me and says, 'President Packer, wouldn't it be nice if...' I usually stop them and say, 'No,' because I suspect that what follows will be a new activity or program that is going to add a burden of time [..mumbled..] financial means on the family. Family time is sacred time and should be protected and respected."

I think this is what I remember most. We all know the plan of happiness but sometimes I think we gloss over what family life is really like. The day to day can be challenging, especially homeschooling and raising 4 boys in my case. Each with a different personality, not to mentions struggles and strengths. Toss a mommy in the mix that is often tired by the days end and life is challenging. Can't wait to reread all the talks.

But about Elder Hallstrom's talk- I'm going to have to go back and listen to that one again because I didn't get the braggy part.

I don't like it when speakers get up and start saying things like "The LDS church is the greatest..... "We are the only church that ....." "We have the most righteous.....(youth, people, whoever )"

IMO there are lots of other good people who belong to other churches who are just as "great" or "righteous" or whatever ... some even more so from what I've seen of some members :glare:

All I'm going to say is that it is no wonder people often think we believe the LDS will be the only people who make it into heaven :)

The second part of the talk was okay. I can identify with what he said. I haven't always been a regular church attender due to health issues, personal issuess etc but I still do all the "behind the scenes" things we are supposed to do. I've been subject to a lot of judgement for it and been tagged with the inactive/less active label.

Before I was married I worked as a nurse which required a lot of Sunday work - you just can't swap all your shifts in a profession like that which requires regular Sunday work - it isn't fair to the people you swap with who will HAVE to work Sundays so you can take a day off KWIM. Anyway - I was very upset to learn that because I didn't always show on Sunday I was put on the inactive list :glare: - I wasn't inactive I was working :confused:

Last year I had terrible health problems - I could barely walk or see. Again - put on the inactive list - and seen as a special project that needed refellowshipping :glare:

I just get annoyed with the prevalant attitude that not coming to church on Sunday = being inactive (or apostate as some people have called me).:blink: So I am glad he reminded everyone that church activity that can be seen doesn't always equal gospel conversion.

Edited by sewingmama

What can be done? In my case, I think people could be a bit more sensitive

to my situation. I do have a ward calling that takes a lot of time as well as a stake obligation. I love my callings and want to fulfill them and would never say no when asked. But it is the unawareness of youth leadership that is hard. I don't have a priesthood holder to help with priesthood things with my sons. I think it is hard to imagine how things are for others when we don't walk in their shoes. Fast offerings is one of those things that drives me crazy. I feel that a priesthood holder should step in to help with this. I have requested that several different times without good results. I don't think they can see what it actually takes for me to drive two boys on two different routes while also having a meeting before church and a three girls that need to come along for the ride because of time restraints. I know my boys and girls are learning from the situation, but it is hard. I also have a hard time keeping track of what is going on with priesthood. Having five teens is hard! no matter what!

And I would say if you see a gap, go talk to the bishop!

Perhaps we are so use to everything being ordered and structured for us, we forget to just think about what Christ would want us to do. He would want the widow cared for, but we aren't her visiting or home teacher so that isn't something we focus on. The mom with the crying baby and restless toddler isn't under our care, so someone else will help or she will figure it out. The single mom has a home teacher that takes care of her, ect.

Hope I don't come across as bitter--not my intent. And the kind of care I'm talking about has differed in all the different wards I've been in. Some wards are doing a wonderful job of being a ward families---other wards not so much.

I think you just sound tired and frustrated. You're allowed. :grouphug:

This is one of the reasons I felt like standing up and cheering when What'sisname (oh who was it....I can't think now) said in another talk that the men needed to step up and do their duty as priesthood holders. Sometimes when I hear people talking about how "unfair" it is that women don't hold the priesthood I think oh no, that's what keeps things "fair". If women held the priesthood a lot of the men would be more than happy to step aside and let the women do ALL the work. Having specific responsibilities carved out for men is partly what keeps them involved, and keeps the whole load from devolving to us.

And as you say, too often that happens to women who don't have a priesthood holder in the home, or whose priesthood holder isn't stepping up and doing his duty. And yes, it's the responsibility of the other men in the ward to offer that service, and it's one of the areas that slides, unfortunately.

(I would suggest talking to your bishop about your fast offering problem, btw. Or maybe start by asking your home teachers to pick up the boys and take them while you get the girls ready.)

This is one of the reasons I felt like standing up and cheering when What'sisname (oh who was it....I can't think now) said in another talk that the men needed to step up and do their duty as priesthood holders.

Don't they say this in just about every GC though? I have heard it year after year in some form or the other - it seems that guys don't catch on very fast or at least not the ones I know :glare:

I don't like it when speakers get up and start saying things like "The LDS church is the greatest..... "We are the only church that ....." "We have the most righteous.....(youth, people, whoever )"

IMO there are lots of other good people who belong to other churches who are just as "great" or "righteous" or whatever ... some even more so from what I've seen of some members :glare:

I think some of that was a result of a study that came out recently from the University of Pennsylvania.

Here are some reports I've seen on the study:

LDS Newsroom: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormon-volunteerism-report

Deseret News: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865552442/Study-rates-Latter-day-Saints-high-for-prosocial-behavior.html

America Magazine (Note, this is a Catholic magazine, and the article has an understandably Catholic slant): http://www.americamagazine.org/content/article.cfm?article_id=13355

Christian Post (Evangelical I think? This one focuses heavily on the tithing aspects): http://www.christianpost.com/news/nearly-90-percent-of-mormons-tithe-regularly-researchers-confirm-71529/

I haven't found the actual study online yet, though, so if anyone has a link I'd love to see it.

I did appreciate Elder Oaks's comments about devoted people of other Christian faiths (again, this is me trying to transcribe from the audio, so there might be errors; the website says the text should be up tomorrow--yay!):

"Many Christians have voluntarily given sacrifices motivated by faith in Christ and the desire to serve Him. Some have chosen to devote their entire adult lives to the service of the Master. This noble group includes those in the religious orders of the Catholic church and those who have given lifelong service as Christian missionaries in various Protestant faiths. Their examples are challenging and inspiring."

Don't they say this in just about every GC though? I have heard it year after year in some form or the other - it seems that guys don't catch on very fast or at least not the ones I know :glare:

Not quite so bluntly, I think. But yeah, I think it's an area of challenge for our guys. And we women have our own areas of challenge too--what was that other quote...something about don't judge me just because I sin differently than you? I think the men need our support more than our criticism. But I was very glad to hear it put so plainly.

I think yes. My best friend has several things going against her and hasn't been to church in a couple years. She fully admits that her reasons are just excuses and that she does need to get back to going to church. Hopefully soon. But, even though she hasn't been attending church, she has been consistently reading her scriptures, praying daily, and has a very deep, strong testimony of the gospel and Heavenly Father and Jesus. She knows she needs to attend church, too (she's in a location where the church is very much organized and all), but she's always felt active in the gospel regardless of her physical church attendance. I agree with her.

I am not at all questioning her testimony, so don't think that at all, but I did want to add that she (and people in my family in the same boat) is missing out on opportunities to learn from and serve others, but most importantly, she is missing out on ordinances like taking the sacrament. You can find ways to serve outside of callings but there is no way to make up for missing the sacrament. That is what worries me about active/not active discussions.

I did appreciate Elder Oaks's comments about devoted people of other Christian faiths

I've noticed that Elder Oaks has been pretty consistent the last few conferences about being positive about people of other faiths and reiterating that they are great people. Just makes me like him all the more (he's been my favorite general authority since I was a teenager lol).

I am not at all questioning her testimony, so don't think that at all, but I did want to add that she (and people in my family in the same boat) is missing out on opportunities to learn from and serve others, but most importantly, she is missing out on ordinances like taking the sacrament. You can find ways to serve outside of callings but there is no way to make up for missing the sacrament. That is what worries me about active/not active discussions.

Yes, she is. I don't disagree. And more than that, my best friend would not disagree with you either. She'd wholeheartedly agree in fact. But sometimes that knowledge is just not enough to be able to overcome the issues standing in the way of getting to church every Sunday.

This was our first conference. I loved all the talks! A friend invited us over so we got to be with 2 other families. I know that I missed some of the nuance of the talks as I was dealing with my younger two. For FHE tonight, we're going to discuss what each of us got out of conference. The littles will probably say they liked it because of the candy. :lol:

How FUN! I missed some things too, with one thing and another. It's one reason I really like that the church archives the things. I can go back and listen again and hear things I missed the first time around.

(And my kids freely admit that it's the goodies they look forward to most...lol. I think those little "wafer" cookies that are like frosting sandwiched between two strips of pink styrofoam have become our official general conference snacks. I don't really buy them any other time of the year, but whenever it's conference time and I ask if anyone has a request for conference goodies they're always the first request made--by both children and with great enthusiasm.)

I am glad that my friends bishopric makes sure they receive sacrament with the help of a couple of their husbands.

This is one of the reasons I felt like standing up and cheering when What'sisname (oh who was it....I can't think now) said in another talk that the men needed to step up and do their duty as priesthood holders. Sometimes when I hear people talking about how "unfair" it is that women don't hold the priesthood I think oh no, that's what keeps things "fair". If women held the priesthood a lot of the men would be more than happy to step aside and let the women do ALL the work. Having specific responsibilities carved out for men is partly what keeps them involved, and keeps the whole load from devolving to us.

Hear hear! Women have enough responsibilities, and we also have a natural inclination to be responsible and take care of what needs to be taken care of. My mother always talked about how grateful she was that the men were given specific responsibilities in connection with holding that priesthood, and the older I get the more I understand and agree with her. Please, please don't take the men's responsibilities and give them to the women. There is plenty of room to work together and plenty of work to go around.

I know this is OT, but I also know that you guys will understand. My little brother opened up his mission call a few minutes ago. Honduras! I'm very excited for him and want to tell someone. :)

How exciting! CONGRATS to your little brother!!! :D

Regarding church vs gospel...the gospel is the good news, the truth, the message of Christ. It is what is True!

But there are things in the "church" that is not gospel but culture and not Truth but the way it has always been done. Therefore a person can be strong in the gospel and not strong in the church stuff. But so many judge based on the church stuff and not the gospel stuff (its harder to see someone's heart).