Menu

7th grade curriculum- what did you or do you use?

fiddle

I'm so totally overwhelmed with trying to plan 7th grade for my oldest- we just started homeschooling this year & are eclectic in our approach. This year we've been using TT for math, started IEW just recently for writing, Easy Grammar, Story of the World for history, and a few random science things thrown in. My dd really struggles with writing, but is waaay ahead in reading/reading comprehension.

For next year in 7th grade I was thinking of the following:

Art- Outside class (she LOVES and is gifted in visual art)

Logic- Continue Fallacy Detective or move to Thinking Toolbox

Current Events- make weekly narration

Math - TT Prealgebra

Science- Apologia General Science?

History- Beautiful Feet middle ages

Grammar- easy grammar or switch to Rod & Staff?

Writing/Composition & Literature- at a total loss & need ideas!!!

If you're planning yours or want to share what you did, I'd love to see what others have done & also hear any suggerstion for writing/literature!

Blessings,

Paula

Hi! And welcome to the board!

I would love to use WWS (Writing with Skill) level 2 if it is out, but it probably won't be when I need it. So I will fill in the time with Lost Tools of Writing. I have written a comparison of numerous writing curriculum on this thread that might help you. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348864 For a struggling writer, IEW is often quite helpful, but look into WWS1 also.

For Literature: We will be studying the early modern period, so I will pick classics that are either set in the time or written in the time for us to study. Like the Count of Monte Cristo, The Last of the Mohicans, Poe, etc. These are for a more advanced reader.

Ruth in NZ

My dd is in 7th in the fall. We will be doning the same logic and same science as you. MUS, Easy Grammar, Art class outside, too. History we are doing Human Odyssey from k12 that will correspond with SOTW that her younger sisters will be doing. Writing was the hardest for me to choose. I finally settled on Writing with Skill and Writing Strands. She began both of these about two months ago and she loves it. We switch back and forth week to week (or so). One is all about structure, the other a more creative approach. She tells me it keeps her from getting bored and helps her see her writing from two different viewpoints. We also looked at Writeshop - see if that looks interesting to you. Good luck!

I'm so totally overwhelmed with trying to plan 7th grade for my oldest- we just started homeschooling this year & are eclectic in our approach. This year we've been using TT for math, started IEW just recently for writing, Easy Grammar, Story of the World for history, and a few random science things thrown in. My dd really struggles with writing, but is waaay ahead in reading/reading comprehension.

Math - TT Prealgebra

If you're planning yours or want to share what you did, I'd love to see what others have done & also hear any suggerstion for writing/literature!

Blessings,

Paula

Art/PE: Co-op class

Logic: Art of Arguement

French: EZ French

Algebra: Jacobs

Science: Prentice Hall Science Explorer: Life Science

History/Lit: TOG

Bible: SL Core H resources

Grammar: Rod and Staff 7

Writing: Kilgallon's Sentence Composing and IEW SICC-B

Music: piano lessons, music appreciation tied to TOG

Math - TT Prealgebra

If I were you I'd drop Easy Grammar and switch to either FLL or R & S. Easy Grammar is good overview but not so great for long term retention imho.

I'm a long time IEW user and like it very much but we've also used Classical Compostion as well as WWS. I am loving the WWS and am teaching it to a group this year. I plan to continue with it for both my youngers (rising 4th grader will be using WWE 2/3 in fall).

I like to tie in lit and read-alouds with history- 2fer. If you're not sure where to start scour catalogs/books: TWTM, Bethleham Books, BF, SL, VP, MP, etc.

I also like Apologia and if we didn't have a fantastic option with a gifted science teacher we'd be doing General Science in the fall, too.

Here's what I've planned for my rising 7th for fall:

Science: pre-physics (Tutoring Center)

Body of Evidence (DVD's)

Bible: Xian Studies IV (MP)/ longer memory verses & memory work in book

English: WWS II, R & S Grammar, memorize Horatius at the Bridge

For. Lang: Latin (finishing 1rst and 2nd Form) (TC)

Greek 1(landry Academy on-line)

Math: Learn Math Fast book II /III, Critical Thinking, Mental Math

History: Modern Men (MP)/ maybe TC hx too.

Art: Co-op (If I'm still co-teaching I want to do some art appreciate)

Choral: co-op

Unit Study: co-op

Drama Camp

TeenPact State Class

We will be using:

Math: Kinetic Books Algebra I

Science: Apologia General Science, using Sonlight's schedule and lab kit

History/Literature: Sonlight Core H (second half of world history)

Writing: WWS

Grammar: KISS grammar (free)

Vocab: free SAT prep websites

Logic: Thinking Toolbox

Spanish: Switched on Schoolhouse Intermediate Spanish

Typing: Typing Instructor for Kids

I hope this is our final plan as I have already gathered most of the materials. :D

English - Lingua Mater 7, Galore Park SYRWTL English 3, The Creative Writer

Literature - Excellence in Literature Level 1

History - Galore Park SYRWTL History Books 1 & 2, Teaching Company DVDs - The Vikings, additional reading list

Math - Saxon 76, Life of Fred Decimals and Percents

Science - online 7th grade class (FLVS) and TOPS Rocks and Minerals (for lab)

Spanish - Breaking the Spanish Barrier 1 (first half)

Music - online Music Theory 2 class (CLAA) guitar and piano lessons

Art - Phonics of Drawing, Mapping the World with Art

Along with other bits & pieces here's the bulk of what we are using for ds12 this year. Please note: We're not classical purists and our choices reflect that :tongue_smilie:

(Started in Jan 2012)

Bible

40 Day Bible Adventure (to complete over a year)

Indepth bible study with Dad

History

Story of the World Volume 4- Modern Times

Focusing on NZ hist (!)

Kingfisher History Encyclopedia – completing various outlines & summaries TWTM way

Literature

Sonlight Core 7 (2nd part of)

NZ literature

Other Literature (including some Ambleside Online (AOL) titles)

Language Arts

Spelling Rules: All About Spelling

Grammar: Rod and Staff

Poetry Focus: Poems for Memorization – RnS,

The Walker Book of Classic Poetry and Poets

Writing: Writing With Skill (really enjoying the benefits of this program)

Math - a mix of

Khan Academy

Making Math Meaningful

Life of Fred

New Zealand Investments (game format)

Science

NZ Based Nature Studies

Interest led books and DvD's

Human Anatomy

Art

Artistic Pursuits

Mark Kistler's Online Art Lessons

Music

Meet the Great Composers, Bk.2

Classical Composers Monthly

Music lessons.

Other Languages

Visual Latin (another favourite!!)

Logic/Puzzles

Perplexors

Chess

Hmmm.... that was some time ago.

Math-Saxon

English-Learning Language Arts Through Literature, Applications in Grammar, Writing Strands, BJU Vocabulary

History-BJU (With a WTM twist-outlining from Kingfisher History Encyclopedia)

Science-Apologia

There was some art and music. Art was at the community center, and both music and art were smash collections done in a very cm-like style, even then. :)

Wow, this has been a BIG help seeing what others use and hearing your input and critique on various curriculum. It is also affirming to me to know that I'm on a good path with the planning of 7th grade for my oldest daughter.

I reviewed it and like the Writing With Style- but wondering how much parental involvement there is? In doing IEW I can have my dd be pretty independent. THis is our first year doing IEW and we just started out, but daughter it's pretty good as far as encouraging independence with the child.

Also how much time per week does the WWS take the child to do?

I really like that WWS gently introduces literary analysis. I hadn't looked at WWS before, so thank you for the suggestion!

Also, if I switch to Rod & Staff for Grammar, I guess it's recommended to go back a grade level? My daughter will be upset if she sees that- she's a perfectionist and will feel like she's "failed". But she doesn't have any experience diagramming sentences- and I don't want her to be in over her head starting out. I had the same question about parental involvement- lots, little, etc.?

Any other thoughts on R&S grammar?

Thanks!:)

Paula

Writing With Skill was written to be done independently. My dd would get stuck understanding what she was supposed to do on occasion, but I could generally get her unstuck by asking her enough questions about it. (The TE has teacher helps to unstick them if needed.)

If she hasn't had any diagramming I would hesitate to put her in R&S English 7. 7 assumes a strong knowledge of the basic 8 parts and diagramming. The 6 book covers diagramming from basic skeletons to larger sentences with clauses. If she's a strong grammar student you could graze 6 enough for the diagramming alone, but I'll bet she finds concepts in that book she hasn't covered. Double up on the easy lessons, or skip them, and she'll be into the 7 book in no time. R&S can also be done independently, but there is an optional oral quiz and "class" lesson to be done from the TE if you find it needed.

Also, if I switch to Rod & Staff for Grammar, I guess it's recommended to go back a grade level? My daughter will be upset if she sees that- she's a perfectionist and will feel like she's "failed". But she doesn't have any experience diagramming sentences- and I don't want her to be in over her head starting out. I had the same question about parental involvement- lots, little, etc.?

Any other thoughts on R&S grammar?

Thanks!:)

Paula

Have you looked at KISS grammar? It does something different rather than diagramming exactly, but you can start from the beginning, but at your daughter's level. So you can start at a 7th grade level or whatever, but from the beginning of grammar...just tailored for an older beginner.

That makes sense- I'm more excited about using WWS next year :)

I figure at our homeschool group's used curriculum sale I'll keep my eyes out for R&S 6 and 7!

I forgot to ask- I also like your idea of including some of the Ambleside literature as part of the year's curriculum. Do you just have your child read through for exposure & discussion, or do you incorporate that into some narrationm writing assignment or how do you deal with the comprehension aspect?

I really, really liked the Ambleside idea, but I work outside the home, too, and there was just no way that I could deal with exclusively using the Ambleside method:tongue_smilie:

I know it's common- but with this being our first year of homeschooling I just feel 1) lost 2) overwhelmed and 3) constantly like we're not doing "enough"..... so it really, really helps to have these Boards and the fellowshp!

I think I have got my ds's 7th grade plan down now. This is actually 7th grade, Take 2 as he is an Oct. baby and we are putting him back in his grade level by cut off - they were a year ahead, but I am seeing many benefits in slowing things down a little.

Bible - Just bought PAC's Wise Up: Wisdom in Proverbs and we do Apologia Worldview books together.

Roots - EFRU 2 - we are almost done 1...

History - Cont. America the Beautiful - Part 2

Science - God's Design for the Physical World

Math - CLE 800

LA & Reading -CLE 800 - first half and looking for something slightly fun to fill in here...or just concentrate on reading good lit and writing.

Writing - I think I am going to teach Write Shop at co-op, but not sure yet.

He will probably have some other class at co-op also!!

I'd like to put in some critical thinking/logic here also, but not sure what!?

He is on two baseball teams now - but will probably just do Club next year!!

That makes sense- I'm more excited about using WWS next year :)

I figure at our homeschool group's used curriculum sale I'll keep my eyes out for R&S 6 and 7!

I forgot to ask- I also like your idea of including some of the Ambleside literature as part of the year's curriculum. Do you just have your child read through for exposure & discussion, or do you incorporate that into some narrationm writing assignment or how do you deal with the comprehension aspect?

I really, really liked the Ambleside idea, but I work outside the home, too, and there was just no way that I could deal with exclusively using the Ambleside method:tongue_smilie:

I know it's common- but with this being our first year of homeschooling I just feel 1) lost 2) overwhelmed and 3) constantly like we're not doing "enough"..... so it really, really helps to have these Boards and the fellowshp!

(please excuse any typos ... I'll just post and dash ;))

With the books used/recommended by Ambleside I printed out their by author book list and in the last few years selected out the books I'd like the dc to be reading for our current learning year.

If you look through AOL's author list, you may be like us and be pleasantly suprised to find that your dc have already read a good amount of the books listed.

Some of the AOL titles I'd like us to have exposure to, but not necessarily "study", I get the the dc to listen to on audio .... since they have a pretty "healthy" (full) reading schedule already.;)

With the Ambleside books, unless they are included inside SL's IG's we only ever require a verbal narration, and then not always.

Some books we read (or listen to) purely for exposure .... and enjoyment.

A bit of a side comment regarding RnS - we found dropping back a full grade level, or even 2 for one dc, with RnS was a good fit for our family.

We're doing the RnS books orally and, since much of it is review, we're moving through at a pretty quick pace on most topics.

Hoping it doesn't take you too long to settle into a working stride that's good for you and your dc.

Chelle in NZ :)

Edited by tuesdayschild

Reading--6-8 texts that coincide with Ancient History

History- History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients, with Oxford Press books, and K12Vol1 for back up

Science -- CPO Life Science with a ton of supplementation and labs

Math-- Math Mammoth supplement with Dolciani Pre-Algebra

Writing- WWE3, Killgallon Sentence Composing for Middle School

Grammar-Analytical Grammar (never tried diagramming before; hoping this works)

Logic- Mind Benders

Vocabulary - Vocab from Classical Root

Tutoring---Wilson tutor twice per week

Music- Trumpet lessons and hopefully performance band once per week.

Bible- Memoria Press Vol 2

Well, what I was going to use (outside classes) is no longer possible, so here's what I'm doing instead, and the reasons why. :D

Math:

BJU 7th grade- we're using the videos because dd does better with outside instruction when learning math.

Grammar:

Rod and Staff - I love Rod and Staff. It's the only Grammar program I recommend for 4th grade and up, and it's the only one I'll use. A solid, simple writing and grammar program. Gets the job done easily. Did I tell you I LOVE IT!?!?

History:

Mystery of History - Originally my 7th grader was going to be doing Omnibus online, but we are not able to afford the classes, and I decided Omnibus was too much for me next year. I already purchased MOH for my youngest (4th grade), and asked my oldest what she wanted to do next year. She doesn't remember doing MOH in 1st grade, and REALLY likes the look of it. She loves the way it's written, she likes the hands on activities, and, for the first time, is really excited about learning ancient history. So, we're going to go for it.

Science:

Apologia General Science -We love Apologia in our house, and I purchased the lab kit from CBD so she can do it with little to no participation from me.

Logic:

The Art of Argument - We purchased this thinking dd was going to be in the Veritas Press Scholars program. I like the looks of it so I decided to keep it and try it out next year.

Latin:

Latin Alive- Same reason as AOA:001_smile:

Literature/Spelling/Vocab/Writing:

Total Language Plus- I cannot sing the praises of this program enough. You can use it as an all inclusive program for the things I listed above. It makes it easy to assign papers and enrichment projects, and really helps those kids that have had trouble with narration and reading comprehension. I LOVE this program.

Writing:

Write with the Best- I think I'm going to pick some units out of this to use. I also have The Elegant Essay, and I'm hoping to get through it this year, but I'll probably combine the programs. I don't think you can have too many writing programs. Ask my husband.:lol: At any one time, I own 3-5 programs at once. I just think one program's strength is another program's weakness. One program teaches outlining well, while another teaches research papers better.

Art/PE/Music:

Outside classes

I hope that helps and doesn't overwhelm :tongue_smilie: We've been homeschooling from the beginning and I still get overwhelmed by all the choices!

Welcome to the boards!

Blessings!

Dorinda

We are planning:

Writing: LToW until WWS2 comes out

Grammar: Finishing KISS grammar

Vocab: MCT

Spelling: studied dictation using Spelling Wisdom (We will be doing spelling probably through 10th grade)

Literature: 15 classics with discussions with me (yes, I have to read the books :001_huh:) using our knowledge of literary devices (we have studied Figuratively Speaking this year)

Math: AoPS Geometry (this is not typical for a 7th grader)

Science: IGCSE Chemistry with a Science Fair project. See this thread to understand how a large scientific investigation works on a week to week basis: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361740

Logic: DoD (Discovery of Deduction)

History: Early Modern using K12 Human Odyssey and lots of docos

Mandarin with a tutor

Violin (going for the ABRSM level 5 exam this year, and he is part of a quartet)

PE: Sailing, Swimming, Martial Arts

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I have a 7th grader this year. His curriculum is listed below in my signature line but to sort it all out...

Heart of Dakota's Creation to Christ with the History Extensions - he is reading all of the books to himself, including those listed as Storytime (read-alouds). This includes History, Bible, Scripture memory work, a schedule for our LA choices, studied dictation passages, poetry (this year's focus is on Robert Frost), and watercolor projects.

Bob Jones Life Science 7; we substituted this for the science in HOD - except for the portions of HOD's Science that goes with The History of Medicine and Galen and the Gateway to Medicine , we are using those parts of HOD's science.

Rod & Staff English 5 and starting 6

Write With the Best vol. 1

Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek 3

MathUSee Zeta

IEW's Poetry Memorization - kind of sporadic with this because HOD includes poetry memorization, but he absolutely loves it and has covered about a third of it.

Weekly private Violin lessons

Typing Instructor

He has completed The Fallacy Detective and recently started The Thinking Toolbox.

Also, Mind Benders and Red Herrings for critical thinking.

Various literature, mostly of his own choosing because HOD, with the extensions, has a good bit of reading. He has read alot of good quality books like Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, etc.

There are things I wanted to get to that we just haven't been able to work in consistently. He has dabbled in Visual Latin and Figuratively Speaking. I hope to focus more on Figuratively Speaking next year.

I love, love, love all the feedback for middle school curriculum. I'm getting great ideas and filing others away for maybe 8th/9th grade.

Apologia General Science -We love Apologia in our house, and I purchased the lab kit from CBD so she can do it with little to no participation from me.

What does this mean? What is CBD? I'd like to have my daughter be able to do most if it on her own, too!!!!

And I'm with you on the writing program issues- I may end up doing a combination over the next 2 years, also.

Thanks, guys! Love to hear more of what people are planning to use or using for 7th grade. This is a great thread!:)

CBD = Christianbook.com :) Home Science Tools also offers a kit (with a lower price tag). The kits have anything that might not be laying around in every house.

We've done fine without the kits, and my kids do work independently in General. The worst that's happened is a lesson was delayed a day until we could get to the store.

My plan for 7th grade (which I hope is mostly the final plan, although I'm still looking for a few ideas):

Literature: Kolbe Junior High Literature

The Secret Code of Poetry

Writing: Finish Writing with Skill and hope that the next level is ready.

Vocabulary: Practice on this site. Maybe Red Hot Word Roots?

Grammar: Killgallon's Grammar for Middle School

Math:

Finish Chalkdust, Pre-Algebra and continue on into Kinetic Books Algebra

Life of Fred, Pre-Algebra with Economics

Science: Holt Earth Science with Kolbe plans

History: Early Modern using parts of History Odyssey combined with A Light to the Nations, 2 and Human Odyssey as well as several other books.

Latin: Latin Alive

Religion: Memoria Press's Christian Studies IV and a study of YouCat

Art: Phonics of Drawing, watching Sr. Wendy's Art videos

Logic: Finish Art of Argument, continue into Discovery of Deduction.

Music: Private Piano lessons

I reviewed it and like the Writing With Style- but wondering how much parental involvement there is? In doing IEW I can have my dd be pretty independent. THis is our first year doing IEW and we just started out, but daughter it's pretty good as far as encouraging independence with the child.

Also how much time per week does the WWS take the child to do?

I really like that WWS gently introduces literary analysis. I hadn't looked at WWS before, so thank you for the suggestion!

We are using WWS this year with a group. There was just a thread on WWS re: time per day and the lessons vary. Some days it's 10 min, some 1 hour. We spend 1 hour in class together but we are doing presentations, talking about corrected work, upcoming lessons and going over stuff folks seem to be struggling with (like Topic Sentences). At home my ds 12 does Day 1 and 2 on one day, then day 3 and 4 on 2 seperate days. If he has a paper to write (usually every week), it takes about an hour.

I do like IEW but for actual research/writing skills I prefer WWS. IEW teaches structure and style- everyone needs that and I still see value in IEW. WWS, however, is teaching the kids how to organize info and write about it. I think it's a better prep for high school/college writing.

I have also re-thought logic (since yesterday) after reading another great MP article. We'll probably go with Trad. Logic I & II- but I'm buying the DVD's this time around!

Well, I started a 7th grade thread a couple of months ago, and so many of the things I just knew we were going to use have changed, lol. So it goes, I guess.

Here is the new plan for my rising 7th grader:

Vocabulary From Classical Roots Book A

Analytical Grammar

Finish WWS 1 and hope and pray level 2 is ready when we are done :D

Free online typing program (can't think of the name of it right now)

Lial Prealgebra

Fallacy Detective

BJU Science 7 (Life Science)

Ancient History...MOH (I think) with added reading from a list I have yet to narrow done :tongue_smilie:

I have a general reading list that I will also choose from for her, plus she is almost always reading something of her choosing. She usually has 2-3 books going at a time.

Artistic Pursuits Jr High Book 1

Rod and Staff music (this teaches the basics of reading music, notes, etc)

Need to figure out: Music Appreciation, Spanish

I love, love, love all the feedback for middle school curriculum. I'm getting great ideas and filing others away for maybe 8th/9th grade.

What does this mean? What is CBD? I'd like to have my daughter be able to do most if it on her own, too!!!!

And I'm with you on the writing program issues- I may end up doing a combination over the next 2 years, also.

Thanks, guys! Love to hear more of what people are planning to use or using for 7th grade. This is a great thread!:)

Partly why I ordered the kit was because I NEVER make it to the store. Our schedule is too hectic so I think I'm able to pick up something easily, but I never am. The most successful year we've had with science experiments was last year when I bought EVERYTHING on the list in August. This year, we have done a total of 3 experiments, and it's been frustrating. Here's the link to what I ordered. They have GREAT prices and specials throughout the year on homeschool curriculum. I've purchased most of my year from them, and even returned some things with little fuss.

This IS a great thread! Thanks for starting it!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Thanks- I'm checking out the link. I have to admit, I've heard such great things about Apologia Science. But we've taken a more relaxed approach to science in elementary this past year and I was a bit nervous about starting Apologia General or PHysical Science......

But reading the various posts and the insight about picking up materials ahead of time is giving me more courage......

I'm still narrowing things down, but this post has been extremely helpful in this process. Thank you :)

Language Arts:

Logic of English (this keeps changing- ahhh!)

Wordly Wise 3000 level 6 and 7

Caught'ya! Grammar with a Giggle for Middle School: Giggles in the Middle

IEW online class using SWI B

Math:

TT 7 and Prealgebra (finish 7 and move on)

Xtramath.com for math facts drilling.

Science:

Middle School Chemistry (free online) with labs. We will do one lesson each week and supplement with Khan videos, additional experiments, and books.

History:

CHOLL Middles Ages logic Stage reading list and lessons

SOTW 2 with activity guide

Geography:

Daily Geography Practice Gr. 6

Art:

The Drawing Textbook by Bruce McIntyre

Logic:

The Fallacy Detective

PE:

Playing Tennis with me at the park

Running on treadmill

Music/art:

Field trips to local events and research online to study the things we here/see further.

We have a couple months left of 7th grade. Here's what we are using-

TT 7

Daily Grams 7

Winter Promise Adventures in Sea and Sky and their LA 7 and Readers

(so that covered our history, science, lang. arts)

2nd half of History of Music from BFB

Balance Benders

Mind Bender

Word Roots

Artistic Pursuits

Rosetta Stone Spanish level one

Zaner Bloser Cursive level 7- he needed to brush up on that a bit ;)

Tentative plan :

Math: Jacobs algebra (kolbe plans)

Literature: LLLOTR and CAP's The Art of Poetry

Grammar: R&S 6

Vocabulary: Sadlier-Oxford and Caesar's English for roots,

Composition: WWS and maybe some IEW Medieval

History: Oxford Press Medieval and early modern books with teaching guides

Civics: using Calvert's textbook

Science: K12 advanced life science

Logic: Art of Argument

Does anyone know the difference between the Lab kit offered by NaturesWorkshopPlus (CBD carries) and the kit you can buy through Sonlight?

(This is for General Science!)

I am planning for this as well and was going to go with Sonlight due to the Schedule all laid out for my son...

Thx,

Rebecca

Math - TT Prealgebra

Blessings,

Paula

I am planning on BF Middle Ages, TT7, Apologia General Science, Winston Grammar, Further Up unit study on Narnia for Bible and Lit., and Spelling Power. The Narnia study also has research and writing projects involved.

We get a sub. to God's World News and have enjoyed it each year for Current events. We just enjoy Logic puzzles for fun and sudoku.

For writing I would personally suggest The Writing Course (http://www.advanced-writing-resources.com) It has helped my family out immensely. The first several lessons are free which is always helpful when figuring out what will fit your child best. It helped bring out creativity and allow enjoyment when writing, along with teaching how to set up papers and essays.

Enjoy and best of luck!