Menu

I Want To Go To Iceland

Years ago, when we lived in RI, Icelandic Air was running a special where if you flew Icelandic Air to Europe, you could tack on a three-day layover in Iceland for free.

We were only going to Paris for the weekend, so we couldn't take advantage of it, but if your DH is reluctant, maybe you can add Iceland onto a trip to another destination.

My dh has always wanted to visit Iceland. I told him we'll go for our 25th anniversary. Our youngest will be 18 yrs old then. Of course, if we find an amazing deal before then, we'll go sooner. I actually tried to tack a visit for him on a trip to London earlier this year, but the ticket addition was prohibitively expensive.

Is it weird that my dh has been asking where'd like to go for a getaway, just the two of us, and the one place I REALLY want to go is Iceland? :001_smile:

It's only a 4 hour flight from Boston....

My dd has been begging to go to Iceland. Her favorite band is from there, I think she imagines they'll be having a concert on the tarmac.

I actually just looked up the cost to go the other day; it's only about $545 round trip from Boston - only about half the cost of going to Europe.

So what is there to do there other than stalk her band and soak in the hot springs?

I understand completely! Our middle ds is enamored with the Land of Fire and Ice. He's desperate to go and given his general obsession with lizards and all things creepy, I'm very glad he wants to go there instead of the rainforest! :D

We made a deal with him that when he saves $1000.00, we'd chip in the rest for he and I to make a short trip - five days in country, plus travel time. Unfortunately, we don't live near an Icelandic Air hub and meeting up with one out of Detroit is very expensive. So, we'll be driving to Minneapolis/St. Paul, leaving the car in long-term parking, and flying out of there...the rate is currently quite reasonable.

When he reaches $500.00, we'll take him to get his passport. He's currently at $225.00 and has some work ahead of him that will quickly get him up to $300.00. We'll see how long the farm work lasts. Maybe he'll be applying for his passport before the end of 2012. (He's thirteen now.)

Go! If you don't want to go when it's freezing cold, go in July. For the most part (though Iceland is known to have a 40 degree swing within just two or three hrs.), it will be warm...not toasty...just warm. :001_smile:

Faith