Menu

Royal Fireworks Press weekend conference

Would you be interested in a RFWP weekend conference at Valley Forge College July 5th  

1. 1. Would you be interested in a RFWP weekend conference at Valley Forge College July 5th

• No Interest
    • Possibly Interested
    • Definitely Interested

Hello Hive,

Dr. Kemnitz, of Royal Fireworks Press, publisher of Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts program, would like to see if there is interest in another weekend conference in Valley Forge Christian College in PA, July 5th-7th. Please vote in the poll below. Speakers would be MCT of course, Sheila Gallagher, Laurel Dodge, a name I just forgot speaking on ethics, possibly Dr. Dave (science). Unfortunately, I don't think SWB will be able to make it but I'm going to beg :001_smile: It would be also great to have a math speaker so if you have a recommendation for someone, let me know.

This is a very intimate conference! Last year we had about 100 attendees. We got to sit and eat lunch w/ SWB and MCT and actually converse with them. I'm sure they were worn out by the end. In addition, all of the attendees, mostly from WTM, got to sit and talk and chat and laugh with each other for three days! It was absolutely wonderful!

Editing to add that SWB will not be able to make it to the conference. 8-(

Capt Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura
adding info about the conference

Oooo...his stuff looks fun! Ok so...he's all science, right? No, um, agenda or rhetoric such that you see at GHC, right?

RFWP is secular, and although I have still not seen Dr. Dave's stuff in person (although I asked Dr. Tom to bring some to Cincinnati) I have no problem assuming it to be secular as well.

I don't quite know what you mean by "agenda & rhetoric" at the GHC. I think they are pretty clear about their stance, that they are specifically Christian (and YE creationist) but that they want to offer things for as many hsers as possible, and are therefore NOT excluding secular, non-YE, vendors and speakers. I don't think I am going out on a limb to say that they would welcome any good vendor/speaker as long as they were not ANTI-Christian (and as most secular materials are just non-religious) they are open to it.

I hope that you guys get enough interest together for a RFWP mini conference, and again... I am jealous! You should post this on secular hmeschooling, FB and other sites.... :D

GOOD LUCK!

Hello Hive,

Dr. Kemnitz, of Royal Fireworks Press, publisher of Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts program, would like to see if there is interest in another weekend conference in Valley Forge CHristian College in PA, July 5th-7th. Please vote in the poll below. Speakers would be MCT of course, Sheila Gallagher, Laurel Dodge, a name I just forgot speaking on ethics, possibly Dr. Dave (science). Unfortunately, I don't think SWB will be able to make it but I'm going to beg :001_smile: It would be also great to have a math speaker so if you have a recommendation for someone, let me know.

Capt Uhura

For Math, Andy Clark or Hoover Herrera from Math in Focus. But you'd have to pay them. They have some great stuff on using questioning to go deeper into conceptual understanding while consolidating math facts.

Edited by Susan in KY
Misspelled Herrera.

I would possibly be interested depending on the schedule of events. I live close enough that this would be a day trip for me. I would not be interested in staying overnight or attending multiple days. I am interested in hearing Michael Clay Thompson.

WHEW! Thanks guys! I"ve been busy all day w/ multiple doctor's visits and soccer. I will look into the recommendations for math.

re: DORMS. Yes uh well, that's an experience best forgotten. There are nice dorms on campus so we are trying to see if we can get into those!!!!!

If you have links to other HSing sites I should post at, please post the links here.

Oooo you know who we need who even lives very close?? Gail posting made me think of it...how about Pete Enns??

I thought about that this morning. But I wasn't sure how many would be interested. IIRC last year the attendees seemed to represent a number of different religious beliefs. But if enough people are interested we could ask him.

I thought about that this morning. But I wasn't sure how many would be interested. IIRC last year the attendees seemed to represent a number of different religious beliefs. But if enough people are interested we could ask him.

Yeah, good idea to feel out the crowd a little. The cool thing about Pete though is that even people who see the Old Testament as ancient literature and not part of their religious beliefs can glean a huge amount of info from him just for the purpose of Great Books study. But alas, I will resist the urge to see if my old rhetoric skillz are still there and won't attempt to convince the crowd that we neeeeeeeeed him but will instead wait patiently for feedback. :toetap05: lol! J/k :tongue_smilie:

Registration last year was about $40. Royal Fireworks Press received NO, I mean NO, money from the registration fee. It all went to renting the space. This is NOT a religious conference. It is strictly academic in nature.

Capt Uhura

Ok, ok, I can take a hint. :lol:

Having been last year, I must say this was a great conference. One benefit of the small size was being able to connect with the other homeschooling moms and dads. There was ample time to meet other WTMers and learn from them as well as from the presenters.

I have heard that there are more modern dorms available.

There are 33 people in the RFP VF social group from last year, but I haven't seen many of them respond to this thread - in fact many of them don't post here very often. Should we try sending them PMs to tell them about this poll? Is there a way to do that as a group or would we have to do it one person at a time?

I'd maybe be interested. I couldn't go last year and was all disappointed. :(

For math, I just saw Ed Zaccaro speak at the Richmond conference and he was a really good speaker. However, it wasn't nitty gritty daily math stuff he was talking about - more like bigger concepts of problem solving and thinking overall. Kind of math appreciation in some ways.

For science, does Bernard Nebel do conferences? Now there's someone I'd be really interested in seeing, but I've never heard of him being at a conference. Of course, my science teaching crush is on Bernie Zubrowski, but he's completely unknown and I have no idea what he even does anymore - his books all came out in the 80's.

In general, science is one of the things I'd really love to see treated more seriously at a conference. I've got pretty limited conference experience, but so far every science presentation I've seen has been "don't be afraid to go enjoy nature!" and practical tips like, "you might try keeping a science journal!" Um, okay, thanks for not patronizing me.

I just randomly saw a post by Capt_Uhura in a different thread and thought, "hey! She's the one who headed up the conference last summer!" Nosy me, I clicked to see her recent posts and found this front & center.

YES!!! Yes, yes, yes -- if you have it we will come. :D

I'm going to call Dr. K. today about science speakers and hopefully start making some phone calls. Zaccaro was approached last year about the conference but he wanted to be paid to attend (I forget the official term - honorarium???) whereas the other speakers didn't request that. I would love it if Dr. Nebel came and he will be the first person I call when I get the go-ahead from Dr. K. Obviously, I'm looking into more East coast people since it would be cheaper for them to travel to PA.

Gail - That's a great idea to split up the list!

I just put a message on our local classical homeschooling Yahoo Group, since a few people from there went last year, and some had commented that they would have liked to but weren't available.

I'll look at the social group again and see who might have missed this.

• 2 weeks later...