WiseOwlKnits

Which Latin program?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which Latin program?

• Latin for Children A
    • Prima Latin
    • Lively Latin
    • Other - please explain!

Help me decide on a Latin program for DD. We've finished Song School Latin and she loved it. I'd like something she and I can work through together to learn Latin since I don't have a Latin background. I really want a solid foundation for Latin - DD wants to be a doctor when she grows up. Even if she changes her mind later on, I figure a strong basis of Latin will help her. :)

I originally thought we'd go with LfC, but I've read great things about Lively Latin and Prima Latina too. HELP! :)

Edited by Hill Country Classical Academy

LFC. LFC A was my first Latin, and I'm on my second pass with my current third grader (as well as currently doing SSL and LA with my others). We love CAP on the whole, Headventureland is fabulous (free) fun, and SSL to Latin Alive ensures I'm not hunting for the next step in a couple years.

We were using Latin for Children A with both my oldest and middle sons, but it was a bit much, even for my fifth grader. So, I bought Getting Started with Latin and we are all enjoying it. My plan is to do the entire book together and then to restart LfC A. I really love the LfC program, as do my boys (they are quite taken with Magister), but I felt we needed something a bit gentler. I tried Prima Latina, but it was almost mind-numbingly slow, maybe because we already had some LfC A under our belts. GSWL is a great fit here.

Seconding GSWL. It is so much more affordable than the other options. I like that it teaches one new thing at a time and provides lots of English-to-Latin (and Latin-to-English) translation practice. It's great for a first intro to Latin and I know three members on this forum whose kids went directly to Henle after GSWL.

Help me decide on a Latin program for DD. We've finished Song School Latin and she loved it. I'd like something she and I can work through together to learn Latin since I don't have a Latin background. I really want a solid foundation for Latin - DD wants to be a doctor when she grows up. Even if she changes her mind later on, I figure a strong basis of Latin will help her. :)

I originally thought we'd go with LfC, but I've read great things about Lively Latin and Prima Latina too. HELP! :)

Almost exactly the situation at my house!! So... :bigear::bigear::bigear:

Seconding GSWL. It is so much more affordable than the other options. I like that it teaches one new thing at a time and provides lots of English-to-Latin (and Latin-to-English) translation practice. It's great for a first intro to Latin...

:iagree:

Only $10 for the Kindle or Nook version (both of which can be read on a computer), $20 for the print version, and the MP3s are free on the author's website.

Jackie

Just to throw a different wrench in the works, my DD has really loved the materials from Cambridge-Minimus, Minimus Secundus, and Cambridge Latin. It's whole-part rather than part-whole, so you're learning by reading. I do also have LfC A and B, but what I discovered was that while DD enjoyed LfC A (admittedly, she was doing it at age 6), she didn't retain the vocabulary at all well, even with Headventureland games. But once we started doing the reading/translation based Cambridge materials, she started retaining a lot more vocabulary. We continued to play the games on the site and I keep the chant CD in rotation in our carschooling playlists too, and this year she started doing the LfC A activity book as "fun practice".

I'm sure she's not getting the same level of recall and understanding that she'd get if she were doing it as a high school course, but I'm impressed by what she's picking up and she's just plain enjoying Latin and being able to read Latin (she was reading inscriptions in the Medieval room of a local art museum today :) ).

My ds9 and ds7 finished GSWL just after ds7 turned 7. They both learned well. I recommend it highly. We are now using Lively Latin 1, but this is because I want to slow down before we start Latin Prep. We are doing Lively Latin 1 very fast, 1 lesson in a week because it is very easy after we did GSWL. In 10 weeks or so we will move on to Latin Prep. If ds7 had been older when we finished GSWL, we would move right to Latin Prep.

So I recommend GSWL highly. I tried Latin for Children A and sold it. I couldn't imagine doing it since it was so boring with far from enough practice for the concepts learned. Lively Latin is good, too.

• 2 months later...

What does "solid foundation" mean? Does it mean fluency, or does it mean repeating paradigms? For me and my kids, it means fluency. So, what I'm doing is a direct-immersion approach. For thirty minutes a day we speak in Latin. Yes, our vocabulary is limited, our expressions are limited, our fluency is limited, but we actually use the language rather than learn about the language, and we are growing. As a guide we use Lingua Latina, Familia Romana Pars I. Grammar comes only after active experience with the language. If you're interested the direct approach was pioneered by Rouse (editor, Loeb Classics) headmaster at the Perse school (in Cambridge, I think) c. 1900. Anyway, you can find plenty if you google Rouse, Orberg. Vale!