Menu

What have you learned WITH your child(ren)?

WIS0320

We are just on the cusp of completing first grade and - WOW - I've learned a lot with my 6 year old!

I knew that I had received a mediocre education but now I realize how general public school education has to be just based on the sheer number of students that it is required to educate. I know I personally didn't learn any subject in depth - it was definitely breadth instead of depth.

Teaching my daughter to read with a phonics program has been eye-opening for me. We've used PR1 and the Rule Tunes have made so many things "click" for me. We've also done a one year over-view of world history and a lot of historical events fell into place for me based on context that hadn't congealed before now. I thought I was a fairly well educated person but if first grade style history is teaching me along with my daughter, well, that is a rude awakening for sure!

What have you learned from homeschooling your kids? I'm sure some of you who have been in the trenches for a decade have really learned a lot! I am putting together ancient history for next year right now and already I am realizing that I do not know at all how the events of the Bible match up to other documented ancient history. I'm struggling to make sure I can adequately combine early Christian history with other historical events and it is shocking how little I know and how much reading I am doing to try and pull together Ancient History 2nd grade style.

Edited by drexel

Anything and everything history. I am so thankful to have went through 7-12th grade history with our oldest and now I'm starting over with our youngest. Using living books, having a Biblical worldview, using narration, and discussion to learn, oh my! I so wish my years of history in school had been so much fun and educational. Both of our boys LOVE history, so I know I must be doing it right.

And, spelling rules. =D

This is one of the things I am looking forward to. I have a good foundation in math & science, but I know I am going to learn ALOT of history that I was probably taught, but don't remember.

I just hope my DD isn't too fargone since I am starting homeschool so late in her education.

I've enjoyed revisiting all the science and history topics with my kids and absorbing from an adult point of view. Having life experience as a frame of reference helps science and history make more sense. Learning about ancient history and middle ages is fun as a child, but as an adult I see it differently now and can place those dates more visually than I did when I was 15.

I've learned a lot of history. It seems that in spite of 12 years of PS and college through a Master's Degree, I have very little knowledge of world history. American history I know, but world history? Who know I had such big holes in my education there!

Latin is another thing we are learning together.

I'm sure as the kids get older there will be other things that I never knew, but so far with a K and 4th grader, I'm on top of the rest of our subjects.

I've learned a lot of geography so far. I switched schools when I was in eighth grade and somehow had civics twice but never had geography. When dd was two, she discovered our world map and started memorizing all the countries (obviously she's a bit off in the head, lol) and I learned them with her. Before that, I couldn't have told you where France was to save my life.

Math!! I was an expert at memorization in school and I rocked in math until about Pre-Calculus, where the wheels just fell off the bus since I had no idea what I was actually manipulating. I pushed through Calculus on sheer effort alone, but I am re-learning conceptual math and I think I would have struggled much less if I understood what I was doing and why. It almost makes math *gasp* fun and creative. :D

Edited by FairProspects

Oh me, oh my! I have said that my 6 yo knows more than I did at graduation! And most of what she has learned was from using FIAR that some think is *not enough*.

What have I learned WITH my child/ren? Across the board ....science info, writing techniques, history anything, geography, grammar, spelling and on and on. My 13 years of public education was near fruitless.

World history, British history, and world geography. I had one year of world history in high school and a semester in college, and despite the fact they were high level courses, they only covered a superficial amount of material. I never learned world geography, but I finally know where Azerbaijan is!

Far too much :blush:

I had a shameful knowledge of US history, and I always hated science, besides the environmental science class I took in college. I was a music major so I didn't need physics or anything. I have read dozens of books on US history now, and I am just truly fascinated. I also don't remember grammar, and never once diagrammed a sentence, though it makes so much sense to me now.

I joke that once my kids graduate high school, I will have been properly educated LOL.

I will say though, that I feel I have a great deal of common sense and life skills. My parents were always willing to help me with anything, and let me discover things I was curious about.