Menu

normal or weird/not appropriate?

nude 2 year old in arms in the driveway....  

1. 1. nude 2 year old in arms in the driveway....

• so what? It's fine, she's only 2
    • inappropriate.
    • other

Wow, my girls weren't fully commited to clothing until age 5 or 6. Granted most of the time they were running around the house nudie bootie but they did occassionally wander outside. My grandson is three and a half an he is still very laissez faire about the whole clothing idea and he has been known to run out the door before realizing he is lacking some critical piece of clothing. I personally find it odd that people would have such a strong reaction to a nude baby. :confused:

:iagree:

We never made a big deal out of it, but ds always wore clothing. There was simply no need for him to run around naked. I don't see it as a lack of freedom to put some clothes on.

I don't think the OP did anything terrible or that there was any harm done, but honestly, I would have taken the extra 30 seconds to put the kid's clothes back on before taking her outdoors.

I am in this camp too.

However, for some of us, it is not even a theoretical option. A naked kid outside in your own yard in a suburban or rural culture is a wildly different thing than a naked kid outside right in the midde of a busy street, LOL.

We never made a big deal out of it, but ds always wore clothing. There was simply no need for him to run around naked. I don't see it as a lack of freedom to put some clothes on.

I don't think the OP did anything terrible or that there was any harm done, but honestly, I would have taken the extra 30 seconds to put the kid's clothes back on before taking her outdoors.

lol....it would have taken more than 30 second to diaper her, get clothes out of the closet, etc. I really wanted her to have some one cheer her for her accomplishment while it was still in her mind. She JUST turned 2, and I don't think she would have known what the excitement was about if I had waited until after getting her dressed. And dh was working on the cars, so wouldn't be coming inside for hours.

Now, all that said, it went so badly that getting her dressed or just forgetting the idea would have been better. As it was Da just seemed angry.

And as a question, your children didn't go naked in the house to potty train?

I am in this camp too.

However, for some of us, it is not even a theoretical option. A naked kid outside in your own yard in a suburban or rural culture is a wildly different thing than a naked kid outside right in the midde of a busy street, LOL.

Hmm...good point. We are definitely suburban, and the next road over is cows and chickens. I probably wouldn't have done it in a more urban environment.

I'm sorry Dad couldn't control his reaction for the sake of his daughter.

No, my kids didn't go naked to potty train. They wore undies at least, usually with a shirt. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of a little girl sitting her girl parts on something that might be contaminated with who-knows-what. Besides, they need to learn how to get their pants down and up.

I don't see anything wrong with what you did. Neither would dh.

Our family is very relaxed about nudity.

It seems to me that it is a cultural thing and that many Amerikans see nudity as sexual. This isn't the case everywhere.

I'm sorry Dad couldn't control his reaction for the sake of his daughter.

No, my kids didn't go naked to potty train. They wore undies at least, usually with a shirt. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of a little girl sitting her girl parts on something that might be contaminated with who-knows-what. Besides, they need to learn how to get their pants down and up.

Hmm..were they older? At just turned 2 i don't think she has the coordination to get her pants up and down yet, but is very interested in the potty thanks to "once upon a potty". Next time I'll throw a blanket over her to avoid the issue, although I don't have a problem with it myself.

I thought about this this morning and I wonder if my feelings reflect growing up in a beach side culture? Going to the beach as a kid there were usually a few naked babies/toddlers. And at the showers in the parking area the toddlers were stripped of their suits and showered off before getting in dry clothes for the ride home. (adults would just rinse off in their suit and sit on a towel on the way home.) And given that it was a very very warm weather area (south florida) naked or panties only kids in the sprinklers were a near year round thing.

I thought about this this morning and I wonder if my feelings reflect growing up in a beach side culture? Going to the beach as a kid there were usually a few naked babies/toddlers. And at the showers in the parking area the toddlers were stripped of their suits and showered off before getting in dry clothes for the ride home. (adults would just rinse off in their suit and sit on a towel on the way home.) And given that it was a very very warm weather area (south florida) naked or panties only kids in the sprinklers were a near year round thing.

You may be on to something here. Growing up we were always near the ocean. I remember being 5ish and visiting friends on the beach. We didn't bring suits so mom let my sib and I play in the water/sand naked.

As we got older we got pretty good at getting a wet/sandy suit off before getting in the car to go home from the beach. An open car door to hide behind works wonders. :D

When I look back on pictures of my now almost 13 yr old DD she never has clothes on. Just a diaper and maybe a shirt. I must have been one lazy mom back then never to bother dressing her! Something changed because now I would never dream even of letting my baby be naked. DH wants clothes on them all the time too regardless of age. I think we're just careful now... why I don't know.

Pfft, mine ran around nekkid all the time. ALL the time. I asked my neighbor if she was offended, and she was a French Canadian and fully endorsed naked children running around.

:iagree:Mine, too. We have lots of toddlers and babies in our neighborhood and at any given time in the summer, half of them are streaking through their yards, playing the in sprinkler or splashing in their wadings pools....without a stitch of clothing on. They're babies, for heaven's sake...and clearly we are not the least bit prudish here.

My kids are naked all the time. I've actually had friend's kids strip down in my house and join the nakedness when they were younger. I have carried kids outside naked on many occasions and see nothing wrong with it. There were always naked kids running around when I was growing up (near lakes/rivers/pools) and no one saw anything wrong with it. They are babies/toddlers/young kids. But then again, I grew up in Montreal and we are notoriously permissive about stuff like that.

My DH never had a problem until the boys were 5 or so and were still running around naked in the yard, then he made them put underwear on. Inside, you an be as naked as you want.

Hmm..were they older? At just turned 2 i don't think she has the coordination to get her pants up and down yet, but is very interested in the potty thanks to "once upon a potty". Next time I'll throw a blanket over her to avoid the issue, although I don't have a problem with it myself.

No, they were under 1.5 when we were going everywhere diaper-free (was I brave or what?). They could dress themselves in pull-on clothes by 2 (I just helped make sure their shirts weren't backwards).

I'm kinda surprised at all the moms who let their kids play outside without anything on (as well as playing all day inside with no clothes). Do you all live in the country......outta sight from other people, or what? I never allowed it when my kids were little. Sure....there was some of that inside the house, there has to be..........going potty..........after a bath before getting pj's on.......running from the bathroom to the bedroom to go get new undies......etc. But....I never let my kids just run around totally naked in the house let alone outside. But.....maybe this is because of not so pleasant memories I have as a newly married teen. We lived in a mobile home park. Our living room window faced the living room window of the neighbor. There was not much between the two windows but maybe 10 feet. The people living there had two small boys.....probably 3 and 5. Their couch was up against the window. Guess what I had to see daily? 2 young boys standing on the back of the couch without anything on.....and then jumping all over the place. I wonder if they even owned clothes. Sooooo........while you might not feel uncomfortable about it and think it's cute........that doesn't mean that other people want to see it or think that your kids are adorable naked.

I dunno - I guess I keep picturing perverts lurking around the corners ogling little kids... too many cop shows!! lol

I'm generally very loose in the "who sees a body" thing, including my own (I'm sure as shooting not going to be upset to jump out of bed bum-nekked & attack an intruder, for instance, or feel personally violated if some creep decides to plant cameras or something bizarre - not that I'd be "ok, whatever", I just wouldn't be "omg I can't take it!")... but I am uncomfortable with the thought of deliberately going out in the public, open-to-the-world front yard with a completely naked child. Only a diaper, sure. Backyard with walls, sure. Running around the house naked, sure. But walking outside with a totally naked child, with neighbors in their yards? Um... no. At the very least, I think it might potentially be very uncomfortable to THEM, which I would want to avoid.

:iagree:..........and, unfortunately, we do have perverts in our neighborhood.

I voted "inappropriate", but that really isn't the right descriptor for why I wouldn't do it. Regardless of whether you feel you know your neighbors, or whether you think you know if they can see your naked little girl from their house/windows, I'm just too aware of how often predators live among us. With the prevalence of girls who are sexually abused either by strangers, neighbors, family members (as evidenced by informal polls on this board), I would not feel comfortable exposing my dd's body in public. Yes, to me, and to most people, a 2 year old is just a sweet baby. To others though, it's a titillation that I don't want to provide, kwim?

I wouldn't freak out about a one-time short exposure, but I understand your dh's reaction.

When I look back on pictures of my now almost 13 yr old DD she never has clothes on. Just a diaper and maybe a shirt. I must have been one lazy mom back then never to bother dressing her! Something changed because now I would never dream even of letting my baby be naked. DH wants clothes on them all the time too regardless of age. I think we're just careful now... why I don't know.

Diaper and maybe a shirt is being clothed. I see nothing wrong with that.

Heck, my mom wouldn't even let us walk outside without shoes on when we were babies. (We did when we were older.) But I think that was a class thing - they were working class and having shoes on babies' feet proved they weren't lower class, or something. :) So there is definitely a cultural aspect to these things.

I don't care what others do, but I personally did not even let my kids outside in their diapers without pants on. We did the potty thing with undies and a shirt only in the backyard, where you'd have to go out of your way to see. Looking through my indoor photos (of which I have many), there is only one instance of a kid in a diaper without pants over it. It's not because I'm afraid of pedophiles or anything like that. I guess to me personally, it would be like letting the kid pick his nose in public. We just don't do it (if I can help it).

ETA: I think the OP's situation is totally different, though - just whisking the baby outside for a moment to tell Daddy something and then going back in. That's not exactly a lifestyle issue.

Edited by SKL