Menu

s/o What top loading washing machine - extra big do you recommend?

I like the reviews. I'm a little irked with LG right now as my FL is an LG. Hmmm, promising. Thanks.

We ditched a Frigidaire FL for this. Hated the FL.

The only issue is that I'm 5'4". If this washer were an inch deeper, I couldn't reach the bottom, I don't think.

We ditched a Frigidaire FL for this. Hated the FL.

The only issue is that I'm 5'4". If this washer were an inch deeper, I couldn't reach the bottom, I don't think.

I'm not quite 5'4". Do you think that will be a problem for me?

This isn't a recommendation but a "DON'T BUY" warning. Stay away from Whirlpool Cabrio. I've had nothing but problems with mine. I had a service tech out here twice within the warranty period for a F51 error code. This error is so common, there is a cabrioF51error website! I know my washing machine's days are limited, and when it breaks I won't bother to fix it.

This isn't a recommendation but a "DON'T BUY" warning. Stay away from Whirlpool Cabrio. I've had nothing but problems with mine. I had a service tech out here twice within the warranty period for a F51 error code. This error is so common, there is a cabrioF51error website! I know my washing machine's days are limited, and when it breaks I won't bother to fix it.

I have heard the same thing.

My previous washer (before my Kenmore FL :001_smile:), was a top-load Speed Queen. I loved that thing!

a top-load Speed Queen. I loved that thing!

:iagree:I had a Speed Queen for 23 years. When it died, I bought another one. :001_smile:

They're great machines, and I'm pretty sure they're still made in the US. I did a lot of research, because I wanted a machine that would last. I couldn't find anything that held up as well as Speed Queen. Really, you don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

I'm pretty sure I have the same LG as JudoMom, except mine is the graphite color and I got it at Home Depot. I bought the coordinating dryer, too, and I am very happy with both purchases.

I think you should be able to reach the bottom, but as others have suggested, you should test first. If you can't quite reach, you could probably just stand on a phone book or something, to give you just a little extra height. I'm 5'5" and I can reach the bottom just fine, but if it were much deeper, I might have some trouble.

I never realized how huge this washer was until I started washing comforters, and had room to spare. It's great to not have that stupid agitator in the middle, because it gives you so much more room for your laundry -- but make sure you have a big dryer!

Fisher Paykel. Mines an 8.5kg which is the 2nd biggest, I don't know how they quantify that in the US with imperial measurements. Before this one we had a 5.5kg which we had for 15 years, and only got rid of it because we moved countries. Before that, my Mum had a FP for as many years again.

I bought a Speed Queen after returning a front load for a mold issue and having problems with a Kenmore top load that replaced it.

The pros for me were: Steel outer drain tub (versus plastic, which gets moldy easier) in addition to the stainless steel wash basket, all metal gear drive parts (not plastic, which break easier), old style knobs (not electronic push button, which short out easier).

I was looking for a heavy duty washer to handle the very heavy (carhartt brand construction clothing for an extra large man) and dirty loads I wash. This washer has held up very well. Rarely gets imbalanced (only sometimes when I do area rugs). Cleans the clothes well.

The Speed Queen seems to be a very solid basic washing machine that does what it is supposed to do - wash clothes. I have had it for about 3 years now. Not a single problem.

If you want a no-nonsense old-style washing machine that does what you want not what it wants, go with Speed Queen. We tried one of the new fangled washing machines, but found that it wouldn't do what we wanted it to do. It seemed to override our settings choices based upon its "programming".

After a week or so, we returned it and bought a Speed Queen top loader. The SQ is big, rugged and simple. It has a rotary electro-mechanical controller like washing machines used to have. No electronic controls here. The tub is very large, and it's built like a tank.

I have the LG top loader that a few others are referring to. I think it may be the Wave Force model. I got it 4 weeks ago after recommedations on here (thank you!).

I do really like it. I am a hair under 5'4, and I can reach the bottom for the most part, I do have to stand on my tip toes occasionally, even with wearing tennis shoes. It's not that big of an issue for me.

I do think it is rougher on clothes than my old Amana. I have found a few holes, mostly on washrags/hand towels. A few holes in shirts, but they were on the old side anyway. On the upside, because it spins so much, dry time is so much less compared to my old set.

That said, I would highly recommend getting the model with the most adjustable features. If I am remembering correctly, there were 2 very similar models and I chose the one with more features. I can change the spin speed, which is very nice, especially for more delicate clothes, among many other settings to adjust. I am very glad I went with the higher end model.

The best part? I can fit my fluffy king sized comforter in the washer and dryer with NO problems!! This is huge for me, as our youngest sleeps with us, and is not quite totally potty trained at night. This alone will save me a lot of money at the laundromat.

If you want a no-nonsense old-style washing machine that does what you want not what it wants, go with Speed Queen. We tried one of the new fangled washing machines, but found that it wouldn't do what we wanted it to do. It seemed to override our settings choices based upon its "programming".

After a week or so, we returned it and bought a Speed Queen top loader. The SQ is big, rugged and simple. It has a rotary electro-mechanical controller like washing machines used to have. No electronic controls here. The tub is very large, and it's built like a tank.

Though I do really like my LG that I just posted about, I kind of wish I would have considered a Speed Queen. I was in a hurry since our washer died, and did not shop around (other than some phone calls price comparing). I found it irritating that there were VERY few no-nonsense washers to choose from, at least where I went. My last washer lasted 11 years, and I was shocked at how fancy they are now.

I have the LG top loader that a few others are referring to. I think it may be the Wave Force model. I got it 4 weeks ago after recommedations on here (thank you!).

I do really like it. I am a hair under 5'4, and I can reach the bottom for the most part, I do have to stand on my tip toes occasionally, even with wearing tennis shoes. It's not that big of an issue for me.

I do think it is rougher on clothes than my old Amana. I have found a few holes, mostly on washrags/hand towels. A few holes in shirts, but they were on the old side anyway. On the upside, because it spins so much, dry time is so much less compared to my old set.

That said, I would highly recommend getting the model with the most adjustable features. If I am remembering correctly, there were 2 very similar models and I chose the one with more features. I can change the spin speed, which is very nice, especially for more delicate clothes, among many other settings to adjust. I am very glad I went with the higher end model.

The best part? I can fit my fluffy king sized comforter in the washer and dryer with NO problems!! This is huge for me, as our youngest sleeps with us, and is not quite totally potty trained at night. This alone will save me a lot of money at the laundromat.

The red. I can't believe not more people are mentioning this. My mom has one and it washes the life out of clothes on the lowest ring cycle. It ruined one of my sweaters. It came out looking like it was washed at least 25 times already. It was fairly new before that.:glare:

I'll give another example. I accidently got a bag! of coughdrops in it with my clothes. It washes and rings so vigorously we could not make out what was even washed with the clothes, only a horrible fine sticky lint on everything! My machine would still have the wrappers left, though limp and falling apart. I would NEVER get the LG toploader. Unless you don't care about ruining your clothes.

I like my Maytag Bravo top loader. I am only 5'1.5" and I can reach all the way to the bottom. It was the biggest machine I could find with the widest opening at the top that I could reach to the bottom of.

I have only had two issues with it. It is pickier about how the clothes are placed inside, so maybe once every month or two I have to shift the wet clothes around inside and put it on rinse&drain to get a load spun properly. I do 5-6 loads/week. I also have to be sure to pull open the little drawer that the detergent goes in after each load and to run the self-cleaning cycle with an affresh tablet every 2-3 months.

The red. I can't believe not more people are mentioning this. My mom has one and it washes the life out of clothes on the lowest ring cycle. It ruined one of my sweaters. It came out looking like it was washed at least 25 times already. It was fairly new before that.:glare:

I'll give another example. I accidently got a bag! of coughdrops in it with my clothes. It washes and rings so vigorously we could not make out what was even washed with the clothes, only a horrible fine sticky lint on everything! My machine would still have the wrappers left, though limp and falling apart. I would NEVER get the LG toploader. Unless you don't care about ruining your clothes.

Yes, this is a big downside to the washer, but I assumed the majority of the HE washers would have a rough spin cycle in order to decrease dry time. Perhaps it is only LG? I did consider returning it, but I had a huge hassle with Sears with this purchase anyway, I do not want to step foot in there again. I am just going to start decreasing the spin speed and see if that helps. I also get the majority of our clothes second hand, so I'm not out much if anything gets ruined.

Regarding the cough drops....yikes!!

Interesting. I use the high spin cycle every time and haven't had any clothes ruined at all, and I've washed every kind of clothing. I'm not even that careful with sorting (I'll often wash jeans and dark tshirts together). I also don't check pockets, so we've had various things washed with the clothes. And I do a lot of laundry.

Speed Queen. It's one of the few out there that is the old style and not these new "green" machines. The green machines have a huge list of problems, don't get clothes clean, and generally do not last very long. They have very small load sizes...so you need to do more loads (that's supposed to save water/energy?). Many now will not start running water until you close the lid and then it locks, so you have to dump your soap into a dry tub and can't come back to add just one more thing etc. They don't have an extra rinse cycle. ETC. We just bought a new one about a month ago, a speed queen. It's a bit more than we wanted to spend, but it's exactly what we want. I love it!

:iagree: Not happy with our cabrio. It's not quite 5 years and at the last repair, the tech said it sounded like the bearing is going bad. It'll cost almost as much as a new washer to fix that. I'm just waiting for the thing to break down. I've got a new baby due any day, but I'm afraid to cloth diaper this one like I did the others, because I just don't trust the machine.

Where do you guys find Speed Queen washers? Seems like they are only sold commercially around here. Or would they sell one to a mere residential customer like me? :001_smile:

I don't know your area, but we bought ours at ABC Warehouse. They are in MI, OH, & IN.

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio and LOVE IT. It's not the older model that had all the problems though. Mine is the 6700 model. I think it was the 6400 that had problems?

I bought my Cabrio in Oct 2010. My first service call was in May 2011, and the 2nd service call was the week before the warranty expired. It's a piece of cr@p.

I'm sold on the Speed Queen. I can't find a retailer around here so I'm going to go ahead and order one and have it shipped.

My DD21 could use a washing machine so I'll give her the Cabrio. :D

Speed Queen. It's one of the few out there that is the old style and not these new "green" machines. The green machines have a huge list of problems, don't get clothes clean, and generally do not last very long. They have very small load sizes...so you need to do more loads (that's supposed to save water/energy?). Many now will not start running water until you close the lid and then it locks, so you have to dump your soap into a dry tub and can't come back to add just one more thing etc. They don't have an extra rinse cycle. ETC. We just bought a new one about a month ago, a speed queen. It's a bit more than we wanted to spend, but it's exactly what we want. I love it!

The bolded above was especially annoying on the one I kept for a week last year! *I* want to run the washer--I don't want *it* to run me!

Dh (Dad 4 Boys) took off the little latch that made the lid lock, but it still irritated me! (And he would say I'm not that easy to irritate! Well, no he wouldn't, but...;))

I really like my whirlpool cabrio washer. It is about 5 or 6 yrs old. It is BIG. I can wash more in it than any other machine I have ever had and I always try to get big ones.:D The only problem we have had is a couple of time the kids have left things in their pockets that I missed and it got through to the pump. Did take the pump out but wore a hole in it somehow. My DH has changed it out twice. It does a great job though.

I'll throw a different brand out there to consider. I've had my GE top load for almost 12 years and have never had a problem with the set. When I wear this pair out, I will mostly likely get a GE top load again. My mom had a GE set that she had for about 20 yrs. She replaced with GE and still loves hers.

I have heard the same thing.

My previous washer (before my Kenmore FL :001_smile:), was a top-load Speed Queen. I loved that thing!

:iagree:I had a Speed Queen for 23 years. When it died, I bought another one. :001_smile:

They're great machines, and I'm pretty sure they're still made in the US. I did a lot of research, because I wanted a machine that would last. I couldn't find anything that held up as well as Speed Queen. Really, you don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

I got a speed queen when my six year old Maytag died. I wanted something that actually used water to clean the clothes.

I bought a Speed Queen after returning a front load for a mold issue and having problems with a Kenmore top load that replaced it.

The pros for me were: Steel outer drain tub (versus plastic, which gets moldy easier) in addition to the stainless steel wash basket, all metal gear drive parts (not plastic, which break easier), old style knobs (not electronic push button, which short out easier).

I was looking for a heavy duty washer to handle the very heavy (carhartt brand construction clothing for an extra large man) and dirty loads I wash. This washer has held up very well. Rarely gets imbalanced (only sometimes when I do area rugs). Cleans the clothes well.

The Speed Queen seems to be a very solid basic washing machine that does what it is supposed to do - wash clothes. I have had it for about 3 years now. Not a single problem.

Where do you guys find Speed Queen washers? Seems like they are only sold commercially around here. Or would they sell one to a mere residential customer like me? :001_smile:

speed queen!!!!! American Made too!!!

I can't believe I never heard of this before. I went to the website and found a dealer nearby. Thanks!

The bolded above was especially annoying on the one I kept for a week last year! *I* want to run the washer--I don't want *it* to run me!

Dh (Dad 4 Boys) took off the little latch that made the lid lock, but it still irritated me! (And he would say I'm not that easy to irritate! Well, no he wouldn't, but...;))

Thanks for this info. I always seem to be adding something & wouldn't want to be locked out of my own washer.

Yes, this is a big downside to the washer, but I assumed the majority of the HE washers would have a rough spin cycle in order to decrease dry time. Perhaps it is only LG? I did consider returning it, but I had a huge hassle with Sears with this purchase anyway, I do not want to step foot in there again. I am just going to start decreasing the spin speed and see if that helps. I also get the majority of our clothes second hand, so I'm not out much if anything gets ruined.

Regarding the cough drops....yikes!!

This -- how rough HE washers are on clothes -- is a big question for me. Consumer Reports mentions it, but I haven't seen much about it here. Is it true of all HE washers or just older/newer ones or certain brands?

I'll give another vote for the Fisher Paykel with the Top Loading dryer to match.

Mine is an ecosmart and although it looks smaller, it seems to have a wider/shorter tub. I'm only 5'3" with my shoes on and I have no problems reaching the bottom of the tub. The dryer is another story, that top load dryer is DEEP, but awesome. My sheets don't come out all twisted up anymore. I can wash a queen size comforter with ease, I'm sure a king would fit, I just don't have any that size.