Menu

when do you make child redo math lesson

Changed

At what point, or grade earned, do you make your child redo a math lesson. Obviously when dd scored a 67% recently on a lesson we went back and went over it. She then scored a 90% so we moved on. But she's scored 80-85% lately and I've let her move on with the lessons. Although sometimes when I go over the problems with her she knows the answers, so I think maybe she just hurries through and makes silly mistakes.

I'm just curious if she should be getting 95-100% before we move on.

I make DD8 have a second go at any question she got wrong -- assuming there are only 1-2 or so. This way I know if she was just hurrying through (something that happens often here!) or if she really doesn't know the material. If there are several wrong, I reteach the lesson and we do extra practice questions. Rinse and repeat.:001_smile:

I was reading these replies to dd and she said, "that's crazy!" :001_rolleyes: If she's against the idea, that probably means it's what I should be doing. ;)

You guys are making me feel like slackers. I'm off to check today's assignment for mistakes so we can go over them...

My kids correct any problem they miss on daily assignments. If they get less than an A on a test, then they correct them too (although the grade stands). I only reteach if they don't understand, not because they make more than a certain number of mistakes.

I require every incorrect problem to be redone. Sometimes the incorrect problem needs to be redone 5 times, with a written explanation of WHY the problem was done incorrectly, followed by a written explanation of the correct way to do the problem.

The incorrectly done problems are the most important. They are where the true learning takes place. If there are too many incorrect problems to allow time to fix problems, then the student is placed too high, or the assignments are too long.

I was reading these replies to dd and she said, "that's crazy!" :001_rolleyes: If she's against the idea, that probably means it's what I should be doing. ;)

You guys are making me feel like slackers. I'm off to check today's assignment for mistakes so we can go over them...

:lol:

That sounds about right. DD said the same thing to me...ONCE. I don't have to correct my mistakes at school, she said. Guess and go spelling is fine at school, she said. Uh huh. That's because your teacher doesn't know you well enough to know when you're slacking. I do. Suck it up buddy!

I always require anything wrong to be corrected. Even if that is 1 problem. My required score for moving on to the next topic is 90% or better. I still require whatever was wrong to be corrected.

:iagree: Dh calls me "the taskmaster" :lol:

Wow, I feel like such a slacker, I require 80% or better if she's working independently, 100% if I am sitting there with her. I can totally understand the 90% thing and I'm seriously considering it.

I really don't understand this. I'm not meaning to be insulting; I just mean it totally confuses me. For me one of the biggest advantages to homeschooling is that my child will actually LEARN the material and not just move on whenever the preset schedule says to move on. If she understood the material, she would not miss 20% of the problems (unless she is being careless, in which case she definitely should have to redo them). Even if she only misses 10 out of 100, those 10 need to be looked at again to make sure she understands that concept. IMO, moving on when a child has not figured out the correct answer for all of the problems (however many tries or however much help that takes) is just going to cripple them in the long run. Especially in math, where each topic builds on previous ones.

But...my oldest is only 6, so maybe things change a bit as they get older?

I always require anything wrong to be corrected. Even if that is 1 problem. My required score for moving on to the next topic is 90% or better. I still require whatever was wrong to be corrected.

:iagree:

Me too.

:iagree: Dh calls me "the taskmaster" :lol:

This is us exactly as well! And-- MIL has called me a taskmaster about that also!! LOL She says I am to strict. How is that to strict? I teach my kids math 1 on 1. If they didn't get something then obviously I need to go teach it again. I don't have a class of 30 kids.

I really don't understand this. I'm not meaning to be insulting; I just mean it totally confuses me. For me one of the biggest advantages to homeschooling is that my child will actually LEARN the material and not just move on whenever the preset schedule says to move on. If she understood the material, she would not miss 20% of the problems (unless she is being careless, in which case she definitely should have to redo them). Even if she only misses 10 out of 100, those 10 need to be looked at again to make sure she understands that concept. IMO, moving on when a child has not figured out the correct answer for all of the problems (however many tries or however much help that takes) is just going to cripple them in the long run. Especially in math, where each topic builds on previous ones.

But...my oldest is only 6, so maybe things change a bit as they get older?

95% of the time its her rushing though and being careless and she does get it right if I make her correct it. Its just not worth the resulting battle, in her case I know that if she gets 80% or higher she does know the material, she's just being careless which I don't like but we have enough issues to worry about and honestly its being nit pickety for our specific situation. Yes in another year I might be able to insist on not making such careless mistakes but for now with our situation 80% will have to do.

I'm another one who makes my dc correct every missed problem. For my 1st grader, it's immediate because I'm sitting right there with him. For my 3rd and 4th graders, it's within the next hour or so because they do their work independently and wait for me to check it. I mark the incorrect answers, they re-do them, and then I check it again. For tests, if they get below an 80% they'll have to take another test (we use CLE and it comes with alternate tests for each light unit), but this has never happened. They are usually in the 95-100% range, with just a couple of scores in the low-90s. After tests we go over what they missed.

Like someone else said, the advantage of homeschooling is that you can immediately fix mistakes, so that they don't keep repeating them.

Mine definitely has to correct any that are wrong. Usually, almost all, are careless mistakes. And honestly, those bug me more than anything. I'm not so much worried that she can add/subtract/etc, I know she can. I am concerned that she consistently thinks giving half an effort is good enough. Now, she only has 20 problems a day. Which I don't consider drill and kill.

Generally she only misses 2 problems. Sometimes 4. If it's new or worded differently, I'm fine with going over them with her. I'm even fine with having to hand a paper back to her with 4 careless mistakes and having her redo them. "If you don't like how long it takes to do it the first time, you won't like how long it takes to keep redoing it."

But she has twice in 90 lessons turned in homework at D or F level of careless mistakes....clear rush to finish. I tore that homework up and sent her back to try again. Both were done again at 100%. I know her, when it's done careless, and when there is lack of understanding.

She knows one will not be tolerated and one she will be helped with.

If she had a ton of drill problems every day that seemed ridiculous to me to have to have 100% on...I'd have her start with every other problem. If she did those well, fine. She'd be done. If she missed X amount, she'd have to fix those and do the other half of the problems.

I'll be the first to admit though, she's a bright kid who's Achilles is laziness because things are easy for her. While I am trying to find a level of challenge for her, I am choosing to show her that doing the easy things really well will make learning the harder things that much easier.

My younger, might not grasp stuff as easy and I may not use this same approach on her. She might be learning to learn math, where I sense my older is learning diligence with math.

I'm another that makes my kids redo problems they missed. I let them go on after a Quiz or a Test that is 80% or above because we use a spiral program. They will continue to see the same material over & over again (until they get it). It is possible to miss only two problems on some quizzes and get an 80% (at dd#1's level with suggested point levels). It either means she made a calculation error or she doesn't understand something. Either way, she'll go back & fix the problem (finding the calculation error or being retaught whatever it is she doesn't understand).

We make calculation errors around here. I know I do. (I remember in Calc 3 doing an entire page of third order integrations and getting down to the square root of 49 and writing "=9". There were only five problems on the whole test. I didn't get any partial credit for the rest of my work. And that prof was infamous for making calculation errors in his boardwork! :glare:)

If there are lots of wrong problems on a lesson, I reteach it (a different way than the first time) the next day & then have them fix their problems during the rest of math time.

Lots of groaning. Lots of moaning.

I AM the meanest mom in the whole wide world. Just ask my kids. :tongue_smilie:

I think it depends on how to approach "redoing lesson" based on age/personality. My DS gets VERY proud to finish and hand me a page of math. He gets very critical of himself, almost sad at times, when he feels he did it all right. If it is most of the concept he got wrong (which has only happened a couple times, once being the start of fractions) I don't really draw attention to the number right/wrong, we just do more of the same the next day together, and I don't let him loose to complete a page on his own until he is working them through with me.

My biggest problem is he leaves blanks...."well mom, I did MOST of it." :lol

He takes the tests seriously, and spends ample time looking over/checking.

I don't refer to any assignment as "doing over," simply because it is more of a feeling of personal failure than correcting to some kids. DS is 7, and obviously as he progresses we will work on the ability to recognize mistakes as just that, and the importance of just correcting, but for now this is a gentle approach that he needs.

Edited by 425lisamarie

95% of the time its her rushing though and being careless and she does get it right if I make her correct it. Its just not worth the resulting battle, in her case I know that if she gets 80% or higher she does know the material, she's just being careless which I don't like but we have enough issues to worry about and honestly its being nit pickety for our specific situation. Yes in another year I might be able to insist on not making such careless mistakes but for now with our situation 80% will have to do.

This is my DD. In the beginning I would sit down with her and have her do the missed problems on paper for me (the first time around it's on the computer). She would ALWAYS get them right. So I just kind of quit making her redo them. I'm not saying that's the right way to deal with it, but that's why I only make her redo 85% or worse.

I guess I need to make her redo ALL of the missed problems so she'll get the idea that she needs to quit be lazy and rush through her work. ;)

Edited by vcoots