Menu

DH told me we are going to......................

a local premiere of The Hunger Games this friday night!

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

An associate's son is an extra in the Reaping scene, and we've been invited to the local premiere.

In lieu of paying for the tickets, the family has designated two very worthy charities to which attendees can donate.

We haven't told the kids yet. Probably won't till we get to the theatre.

Of course, the only one who hasn't read the book is DH and it is unlikely he will before Friday if ever. :glare:

and, please, if you are not a HG fan, pls just call me on the phone or email me or PM me, but let's not turn this into a hg-bashing thread. Thank you.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Dd19 and I want to see the movie. She just finished the book 2 days ago and loved it so much that she went straight into the 2nd book. I am most worried about how they will handle that last icky scene in the book, just before they have the berries in their hands. That was the most graphic scene in the book, IMHO. I'm too scared to read the second book, but I might anyway. Do you know if they are planning on making movies of the other books? I'm assuming this movie is strictly The Hunger Games and doesn't include material from the other books, is that correct?

Dd19 and I want to see the movie. She just finished the book 2 days ago and loved it so much that she went straight into the 2nd book. I am most worried about how they will handle that last icky scene in the book, just before they have the berries in their hands. That was the most graphic scene in the book, IMHO. I'm too scared to read the second book, but I might anyway. Do you know if they are planning on making movies of the other books? I'm assuming this movie is strictly The Hunger Games and doesn't include material from the other books, is that correct?

My understanding is that the film is just the first book of the three.

I am concerned about the same thing you are -- having read all three books awhile ago (and I read voraciously so I will need to re-read HG b4 Friday night) I want to be on guard for intensity and content.

DH and I had planned to see the film next week when it comes out and decide if the kids could see it, but this premiere with the friend's son in it has come up and that plan has gone by the wayside -- that's a fancy way of saying that I am sure that DH didn't pay any attention to me when I was saying that he and I would have to see the film first and then decide about the kids seeing it.

A mom ripped into me at CC yesterday about HG. She hasn't read it and her kids haven't either so I asked HOW she could bash it not having read it, and I walked away.

I was mystified.:001_huh:

Hmmm ... everyone's different and has different tolerance issues. I've had some fascinating discussions with my oldest about society today thanks to HG. I understand why some kids might not be ready to read this until later or why some families might want to avoid it completely. But I can't imagine leaning into another family choosing differently than me? I'd be mystified too.

Anyway, SO jealous here! DS and I are counting days until the movie comes out. :001_smile:

I am absolutely jealous! I can't wait to see the movie although the girls probably won't see it (they haven't read the book either).

Interestingly, I had a friend who was shocked that I planned to let my 10 yr old read the book. I think her concern was that it's a book about kids killing kids, but to me it seemed more than that. I didn't like Lord of the Flies (which is also about kids killing kids), but I loved The Hunger Games. I've read all three (though I didn't care much for the third book).

I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

HG is great. Lucky you!

Hmmm ... everyone's different and has different tolerance issues. I've had some fascinating discussions with my oldest about society today thanks to HG. I understand why some kids might not be ready to read this until later or why some families might want to avoid it completely. But I can't imagine leaning into another family choosing differently than me? I'd be mystified too.

Anyway, SO jealous here! DS and I are counting days until the movie comes out. :001_smile:

That sounds like fun! My 13yo is just now reading the first book. I want to take everyone when it comes out. Please give us a review after you see it.

I. Am. Jealous.

Seriously jealous.

Alas, we must wait to use the tickets we bought for the 12:01 am showing next Thursday/Friday night.

That's great! I'm sure you will have a fun time! I'm looking forward to seeing it since I really enjoyed the books.

LUCKYYYY!!!! (as my sons would say in their best Napoleon Dynamite voices)

So jealous!!!!

I am absolutely jealous! I can't wait to see the movie although the girls probably won't see it (they haven't read the book either).

Interestingly, I had a friend who was shocked that I planned to let my 10 yr old read the book. I think her concern was that it's a book about kids killing kids, but to me it seemed more than that. I didn't like Lord of the Flies (which is also about kids killing kids), but I loved The Hunger Games. I've read all three (though I didn't care much for the third book).

I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Totally intend to provide my unabashed opinion/review to all of you here.

My dd11 has not read the book - just doesn't care to, but she has read the 'collector's edition' of PEOPLE magazine (:glare:), and today we purchased the MOVIE GUIDE at Barnes and Noble and she will read that and just pour over the photos.

I am a little concerned about the intensity as regards dd11 and spoke with our fam. therapist about it today. We both agreed that my re-reading the book beforehand so I can refresh my memory about parts I might find too intense for her would be a good thing. I am also going to make certain that I sit with her near an exit so if I have to whisk her out, I can. However, I am really hoping that won't be necessary.

And someone here mentioned the book as a prompt for discussions, and I totally agree. The book is ripe as a discussion book for so many different topics.

Stuff like this does not happen to us -- I am so excited!!!!!:D

Well now I want to read HG!!! Can you please tell me if it woud be too much as a read aloud with dd12? IMO, yes. I bought it originally to do as a read aloud with all three kids when it first came out in soft cover -- and that was after reading the threads here about it and coming to a conclusion that it would be okay for us.

I opened it and started reading it aloud and got about to page 4 or 5 and knew THIS was not a read aloud......for us. It just isn't. I think it is meant to be read silently and thoughtfully. And, you will want to read it b4 your kids do.

Collins does an awesome of setting the story with grit, hopelessness (and yet still hope - I cannot describe it here), a day to day struggle to survive, and her writing is compelling.

I told the kids I had to read this first b4 we continued -- I finished it 2 hours later and told them they could read it to themselves but it was not a read aloud. And it isn't......at least not for me......I am a 'visual' person and I have to SEE the words to GET IT.

I hope this helps!!!!!:grouphug:

HAVE FUN!!!!!

I am so excited -- so excited!!!!!!:D

So excited for you! Let us know how you like it, but no spoilers please!

I'm soooo excited for you!:D

We already have our IMAX tickets for next Friday after lunch. It's a surprise for ds 14th birthday...I'm so excited.:D:D:D

I WAS going to do the IMAX advanced purchase the night that DH told me about this. I am certain that we will still go see it again b/c Friday night is just going to be so cool, and we will have to see it again without all of the excitement in the air. We were going to do it for DD's 13th b-day (the 28th) --

I won't spoil anything, I promise! :)

My main focus truthfully will be the intensity of what is shown.

Lucky you! I'm throwing a Hunger Games themed party for dh's birthday on Sunday. I have no idea when we'll get to see the movie though. The nearest theatre is an hour away, we can't afford a babysitter and I don't want to watch it without him.

The reviews that have come in have all been really positive. I'm so excited!

DD(24) and I have IMAX tickets to the midnight showing next Thursday...can't wait.

Have fun! I need to head to read the books...I've heard too much good about them.

I'm jealous! We have our tickets for Friday night on the 23rd. We'd be going Friday morning, but DD really wants to go with her best friend, who is a PS student. I think I'm just as excited as DD!

I think that I am looking forward to seeing HG more than I looked forward to seeing The Help last year.

:)

Lucky you! I'm throwing a Hunger Games themed party for dh's birthday on Sunday. I have no idea when we'll get to see the movie though. The nearest theatre is an hour away, we can't afford a babysitter and I don't want to watch it without him.

The reviews that have come in have all been really positive. I'm so excited!

I would wait (and it would be difficult but I could do it) for it to come out on dvd.

Have a great party on Sunday!!!!!:001_smile: