Menu

COCONUT OIL.....recipes? how do you use it?

OK with all the talk about coconut oil lately and how it's good for you,I signed up for auto ship on Amazon for 2 jars of it/month-it smells sooooo good!!! I've heard different posters talk about just eating it plain-or using to cook with.....give me your best tips/recipes/ways that you use it...... :D

I use it to replace butter in things like muffins, quick breads, and baked oatmeal. The unrefined coconut oil will give a slight coconut flavor, but it's not overwhelming in things with spices and fruits. It's nice for stove popping popcorn. I rub it on the baby's cheeks if they're dry from playing in the chilly wind. :)

I use it in smoothies. For my smoothie, I just drop a dollop in the blender. For the kids, I set a dollop in a bowl then set the bowl in a pan of hot water to melt it. It seems to blend with less "chunking" that way. I also spread it on toast then cover with a thin layer of butter for the kids, if I ate toast I'd just do the coconut oil sans butter for myself. I also use it in a pan as "grease" when frying eggs or cooking scrambled eggs. Oh, I put it on their waffles in the same manner as toast. Lastly, we have it in our hot tea sometimes. It does create a "slick" on top of your tea but even my picky kids haven't complained. You don't notice it as you drink, it's just when you look at it.

I also started using it for washing my face/moisturizer and it's FAB.

Cooking (eggs, pancakes, bisquits, etc)

Sauteing vegetables (onions, mushrooms, etc)

Popcorn!

Cocoa Candy - mix equal parts coconut oil and unsweetened cocoa with your sweetener of choice to taste. Add berries or nuts if desired and freeze until hard.)

Facial/skin moisturizer

(I've always hated coconut, but I like coconut oil.)

I use it in all of my usual recipes as a substitute for butter, shortening, or oil. I do find that it's helpful to get it to a liquid consistency when you substitute it for oil. Depending on the time of year, sometimes all I have to do is set it on the counter to get it to melt.

When I first started using it (I use the unrefined) I did notice a slight coconut flavor, but I don't notice it at all anymore. Of course I don't mind the taste of coconut so it never bothered me. When people come over some people will say they detect a coconut flavor and others say they don't taste it at all, so I guess it's all up to personal preference. Check out the Passionate Homemaking. She uses coconut oil in everything from peppermint patties to deodorant.

Mix some with a few drops of peppermint oil and you'll have a wonderful mosquito repellent. It's safe, moisturizing, smells great, and is the most effective repellent we've tried in 8 yrs of searching!

I also use it as a baking/cooking oil, in hot drinks, in smoothies, on toast or waffles, in oatmeal, and on the skin and hair. Coconut oil rocks!

Edited by kimmie38017

Ooh, I like the bug repellent idea!

Granola:

4 c rolled oats

1 c sliced almonds

1 c raisins

1/3 c honey

1/3 c coconut oil, melted

optional:

1 c unsalted sunflower seeds

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325. Combine all ingredients. Spread on a baking sheet with a rim or in a 9x13 glass casserole dish. Bake in 5 minute increments, stirring every 5 min, for 15 tp 20 minutes. Keep an eye on it during the last 5 minutes; it burns easily. Cool and store in an covered container (I use the empty oats tub).

Obviously you can play with the nuts, fruit, type of oil, and sweetener.

Ooh, I like the bug repellent idea!

Granola:

4 c rolled oats

1 c sliced almonds

1 c raisins

1/3 c honey

1/3 c coconut oil, melted

optional:

1 c unsalted sunflower seeds

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325. Combine all ingredients. Spread on a baking sheet with a rim or in a 9x13 glass casserole dish. Bake in 5 minute increments, stirring every 5 min, for 15 tp 20 minutes. Keep an eye on it during the last 5 minutes; it burns easily. Cool and store in an covered container (I use the empty oats tub).

Obviously you can play with the nuts, fruit, type of oil, and sweetener.

Yum - Thanks!

Recipe? Please?

Here it is:

I use Truvia and leave out the syrup. I cut it up into small pieces and store it in the refrigerator. I also take some to work so that I can have a piece after lunch. It really is very satisfying.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Candies Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1/2 cup coconut oil

1/2 cup **cocoa powder (packed)

1/2 cup full fat (zero carb) whipping cream

2 teaspoons *sugar free flavored syrup (hazelnut and/or vanilla)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Sweeteners to your taste:

4 tsp Truvia (stevia type) sweetener, 2 tsp xlytol, and 1 tiny scoop of Stevia powder

OR 7 - 8 teaspoons of Truvia

1/8 tsp salt

* optional

You can use 1/2 dark and 1/2 regular cocoa powders to make the dark chocolate. One could use all dark or just make milk chocolate if preferred.

Measure 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil into a small microwave mixing/measuring pitcher... and warm till melted

Measure into a microwave safe bowl, 1/2 tsp of vanilla, syrups if desired, 1/8th tsp of salt and sweeteners. Cover and warm in the microwave until the granulated sweeteners and salt are dissolved into the liquid. Add 1/2 cup of full fat whipping cream and cook for a bit till boiling. Allow to cool till no longer boiling hot but still warm.

While it is cooling, remove the melted oil from the microwave and measure 1/2 cup of cocoa powder into it, mix with a spoon, till you have a chocolate liquid oil

Pour the warm cream mixture into the oil mixture and mix with a hand blender (also known as a stick blender) until emulsified or whisk until smooth and thick

Spoon into mold, level off and put in the freezer for 10 minutes or in the fridge if you are not in a hurry.

(OR dip other candies into the chocolate for coating)

The finished product may be stored in the refrigerator and does not need to be stored in the freezer.

Source:

"www.diabetes-book.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Some people just make a candy out of it by combining the oil, cocoa powder and a sweetener. But, I prefer this fudge recipe. The woman who created this also created a almond joy/mounds-like candy to be dipped in this fudge. I can post that recipe, too, if you'd like. It also uses coconut oil.

Edited by Stacy in WA

Super easy/quick chocolate candy:

Mix together equal parts melted coconut oil and cocoa powder (doesn't have to be exact - play with the proportions to get the results you want), sweetener to taste, and vanilla, nuts, or other flavoring if desired. Shape as desired (it should be solid enough to shape into truffles, or press it into molds or into the bottom of a container to make a bar). Put in the fridge for 20 minutes or so.

Coconut oil is the healthiest cooking oil there is.

I use it for cooking everything instead of the unhealthy oils.

Some recipes would be weird with coconut oil, so I use butter or animal fat (lard from our excess bacon grease) instead.

And remember, olive oil is great when it's raw, but unhealthy when cooked at high temperatures.

Here it is:

I use Truvia and leave out the syrup. I cut it up into small pieces and store it in the refrigerator. I also take some to work so that I can have a piece after lunch. It really is very satisfying.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Candies Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1/2 cup coconut oil

1/2 cup **cocoa powder (packed)

1/2 cup full fat (zero carb) whipping cream

2 teaspoons *sugar free flavored syrup (hazelnut and/or vanilla)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Sweeteners to your taste:

4 tsp Truvia (stevia type) sweetener, 2 tsp xlytol, and 1 tiny scoop of Stevia powder

OR 7 - 8 teaspoons of Truvia

1/8 tsp salt

* optional

You can use 1/2 dark and 1/2 regular cocoa powders to make the dark chocolate. One could use all dark or just make milk chocolate if preferred.

Measure 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil into a small microwave mixing/measuring pitcher... and warm till melted

Measure into a microwave safe bowl, 1/2 tsp of vanilla, syrups if desired, 1/8th tsp of salt and sweeteners. Cover and warm in the microwave until the granulated sweeteners and salt are dissolved into the liquid. Add 1/2 cup of full fat whipping cream and cook for a bit till boiling. Allow to cool till no longer boiling hot but still warm.

While it is cooling, remove the melted oil from the microwave and measure 1/2 cup of cocoa powder into it, mix with a spoon, till you have a chocolate liquid oil

Pour the warm cream mixture into the oil mixture and mix with a hand blender (also known as a stick blender) until emulsified or whisk until smooth and thick

Spoon into mold, level off and put in the freezer for 10 minutes or in the fridge if you are not in a hurry.

(OR dip other candies into the chocolate for coating)

The finished product may be stored in the refrigerator and does not need to be stored in the freezer.

Source:

"www.diabetes-book.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Some people just make a candy out of it by combining the oil, cocoa powder and a sweetener. But, I prefer this fudge recipe. The woman who created this also created a almond joy/mounds-like candy to be dipped in this fudge. I can post that recipe, too, if you'd like. It also uses coconut oil.

OK. I finally got around to making this. SUPER YUMMY. And I haven't even gotten it out of the freezer yet. :-D It is definitely taking more than 10 mins to harden, but it will be worth it! :party:

OK. I finally got around to making this. SUPER YUMMY. And I haven't even gotten it out of the freezer yet. :-D It is definitely taking more than 10 mins to harden, but it will be worth it! :party:

I'm really glad that you like it, too!! I'm enjoying my after dinner piece right now. :D