Menu

Looking for a good gift for a baby shower (twins)

The family has 2 older children (but still young enough were they have all the clothes). The twins are male and the older siblings are male.

The couple are young and still building up, so I'm looking for something really helpful.

They are not registered anywhere (that I know) and the invitation doesn't mention gifts..but of course I want to support them and bring something.

I'm looking for good btdt stuff. Mom's of twins...what was really helpful, especially if you had older kids and a bunch of baby stuff already?

I don't have twins, so fwiw....

I would think that anything they use that's disposable would be quite welcome. I'm thinking diapers, wipes, bottle inserts, etc. If they're more 'reusable' friendly, then it's harder to think what they'd need. In that situation, I'd just ask the mom what they're needing. I like to get a gift that's needed, you know?

Well, I've never had twins, so I don't know specifically on that count.... However, for baby gifts, I always give sleep sacks. Those were used by my dc every.single.night when they were infants & toddlers. I loved, loved the sleep sacks & my dc did too.

(And I always give a board book too -- "Blue Hat, Green Hat" by Sandra Boynton.)

There's a sleepsack/swaddle sack called Woombie that looks great. It's definitely on my list of must-buys for future children. We used the Miracle Blanket for both boys. Also, we used the Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper for DS2. It was great! We've loaned it to several friends who all loved it also. It can fold small and easily transportable to various areas of the house.

My sil recently had a baby and I bought her a set of these aden & anais muslin swaddle blankets.

She called me and gushed for 15 minutes on how fantastic they are! This is her 9th baby so she has used a LOT of blankets and she claims this is the best one she has EVER used. She's also kinda picky so I tend to believe her . :)

Make sure you buy the nicer (not cheap) ones that are 47"x47" - NOT the ones from Target that are only 35"x35" - there is a difference! They also come in several different patterns, too, and even plain white.

My sil recently had a baby and I bought her a set of these aden & anais muslin swaddle blankets.

She called me and gushed for 15 minutes on how fantastic they are! This is her 9th baby so she has used a LOT of blankets and she claims this is the best one she has EVER used. She's also kinda picky so I tend to believe her . :)

Make sure you buy the nicer (not cheap) ones that are 47"x47" - NOT the ones from Target that are only 35"x35" - there is a difference! They also come in several different patterns, too, and even plain white.

I agree, my MIL gave me some of these and they are amazing. Even better, though, are the bamboo ones, if you can find them. They have all the perks, but are so, so soft!

A sling to carry the babies?

My standard gift is a hooded bath towel that I make. Everyone loves them and you can use them well into the toddler years. They make great pool towels too.

If you can sew at all you can make one. Two bath towels, one hand towel is all you need. You can embellish with ribbon, but often I leave them plain.

We had twin girls last year after a longer gap. Gifts that get regular use are a Duo Glide stroller with the specific car seats that snap into it (SnugRide, I think). If she's nursing, there are pillows specific to twins. I purchased a My Brest Friend twin pillow at a consignment store and have liked it; sometimes the pillow style is a real personal preference though. Our supply of blanket sleepers gets used all the time (we call them "baby bags"). Carter's sells them as well. Diapers and wipes were great to have in those early days. An aunt made some flannel burp rags by just running a decorative stitch around the edges and diagonal across the middle. Those find daily use.

Erica in OR

I would definitely ask her. Since she already has two kids, she probably knows what she likes, and each mom loves totally different stuff.

Everyone needs things like car seats, assuming they have/ride in cars. If they use infant seats, they probably only have one, since the older two are different ages. They would need another, or maybe two if the old one is expired. They might want a double stroller, or a double stroller frame that the infant seats snap into. If they prefer to use convertible car seats from the beginning, they might need two (if the older boys are still using theirs), and in that case they will definitely need a stroller since the seats don't come out. (Well, I just wear my littlest, but uh ... I would have a stroller if there were two of him! :lol:)

If she nurses her babies, there is a My Brest Friend pillow specifically for twins.

If you have that kind of money to spend, keep those in mind for suggestions if she's not sure what she wants/needs. Otherwise maybe something special, like a memory book for each baby, or "big brother" shirts and "little brother" onesies. Diaper cakes are pretty easy to make yourself and definitely useful! That assumes they use disposable diapers, but even if they don't, ask. I imagine some cloth-diapering moms would be happy to have a few disposables on hand for emergencies, if they were expecting twins.

Diapers in different sizes. I swear they went to sleep in newborns, and woke up wearing size 1's. Same thing happened w/ size 1 to size 2!! Car seats, an extra high chair or swing, portable crib/playpen. Board books, because they never last through the first couple of kids! And every baby needs clothes of their own!

ETA: Oh, and if you can swing it, a meal for the freezer. Mom's of twins don't have time to cook!

A nursing pillow (if she plans on nursing) that is one of those crescents that goes around the front of mom and the straps snap together in back. She can nurse two at once with one of those things. However, is she already has tow smalls, I doubt sitting down to nurse two at once will work (she will need to be able to get up fast to chase a toddler - not easy with two babies latched on at once!). So maybe an extra bouncy chair or swing? They probably still have one of each, right? I remember having two swings going at once so I could have a moment to grab a bite of food....20 years ago (time flies!)

I would definitely ask her...

Everyone needs things like car seats... They might want a double stroller.

:iagree:

Having twins as a third pregnancy, with no registry? There are bound to be several bigger items they'll wish they had.

If you're ready to spend more, I'd ask her. Or even better, if you know some of the other people going, get together and buy her a bigger gift that she wants.

If none of those would be a good option, coordinating clothes can be fun. She may not have had any same-size coordinating clothes for the older kids.

If you do clothes, remember to think about size and season. Some people gave me 9 month clothes that were the wrong season by the time the babies were in the 6 to 9 month range - and remember that twins may be small in the first several months.

The family has 2 older children (but still young enough were they have all the clothes). The twins are male and the older siblings are male.

The couple are young and still building up, so I'm looking for something really helpful.

They are not registered anywhere (that I know) and the invitation doesn't mention gifts..but of course I want to support them and bring something.

I'm looking for good btdt stuff. Mom's of twins...what was really helpful, especially if you had older kids and a bunch of baby stuff already?

Diapers and wipes! You can also see of they have registered for seconds of anything. They will need another carseat, another bouncy seat or other such items. My friends had an 18 month old son and twin boys, they appreciated diapers and formula coupons.

I just went to a shower and gave things I knew she wouldn't get from someone else that have been very useful for me with my baby.

A Nosefrida/snot sucker thing, it's just so much better than a bubl syringe.

Swaddle blankets with velcro. I stink at swaddling and loved having these, I wish I'd had them with all of my infants.

The Read Aloud Handbook and some board books.

Infant gowns- her baby will be a late spring baby and I found gowns so useful when the weather was warm enough for my newborns, so easy to change diapers without all of the snaps.

Socks- we like to keep baby feet warm but seem to be constantly losing socks and can never have too many.

For a generous present, I usually get a couple of cute older child outfit, like 9 month size, or a year plus some of the following:

I love the pull down toys that wiggle or do music, slowly, to pull while the child is changed, to keep from rolling off.

Some nice Aveeno products, like wash, and quality butt paste. What about those covers that go under car seats to protect the car. They get old after a couple of years.

Edited by kalanamak