Menu

What is the best way to get the muscles in my upper back/neck to relax?

I have been sitting around a lot due to my lower back hurting. Due to this (ahem-mm, and maybe my time on the board :blush:) by upper back/shoulders and neck are killing me. I have very sharp pain, almost like a kink in the neck, but it is not that localized and it is not letting up.

I have tried a hot shower and mental muscle relaxation (work sometimes :) ). I can't afford chiro/massage. I have taken muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatory for my lower back but they are not helping with my upper back. Hubby isn't a touchy-feely-massaging type of person.

Any suggestions?

Yoga. Also, a couple of tennis balls. Lay them on the floor, and lay the tense muscles on the tennis balls. Roll yourself around on there and let the balls give you a massage. I'm not sure whether your lower back would be ok with that though....

I carry stress in my shoulders and upper back, so I totally understand though!

Lay on your couch with you back against one arm and then stretch backwards so that your back rolls backwards over the arm. Or stand in a doorway, reach your hands up to the top of the doorway and hold on and then kind of ean forward to stretch your back. Roll your shoulders and stretch your arms over your head. And of course, apply warmth - hot bath or shower, hot water bottle or microwave pack. A evening cocktail will also help the muscles relax.

A rice sock you can heat in the microwave. If you use a knee sock length sweatsock, you can wrap it round your neck or drape it over a shoulder. Add a few drops of lavender to make it smell good too.

:iagree: with this and walking will help to even though it will probably be painful for a bit.

Lay sideways across the bed on your back, top of your shoulders almost even with edge and your head extending over. Gently let your head relax as far back as you can, letting the back of your neck fully relax so the weight of your head helps the stretch. Breathe deeply, stay here a few minutes. Then roll over onto your stomach and repeat.

Stand on a step facing the riser - do not do this one at the TOP of the stairs! Back your heels off the edge, feet even and slightly apart, until your are only actually standing on the toes/balls of your feet. Relax your shoulders, holding the rail gently for balance. Slowly stretch your heels down and hold as long as possible. Most people think this one is for calves only, but if you are standing straight it helps remind your body of its proper alignment; you may feel it all the way up.

A glass of wine with dinner helps, too. :D

Lay sideways across the bed on your back, top of your shoulders almost even with edge and your head extending over. Gently let your head relax as far back as you can, letting the back of your neck fully relax so the weight of your head helps the stretch. Breathe deeply, stay here a few minutes. Then roll over onto your stomach and repeat.

Stand on a step facing the riser - do not do this one at the TOP of the stairs! Back your heels off the edge, feet even and slightly apart, until your are only actually standing on the toes/balls of your feet. Relax your shoulders, holding the rail gently for balance. Slowly stretch your heels down and hold as long as possible. Most people think this one is for calves only, but if you are standing straight it helps remind your body of its proper alignment; you may feel it all the way up.

A glass of wine with dinner helps, too. :D

You have to be sure of your balance on this one. I have tried it before and ended up falling off of the bed on my head which didn't help much. That is why I use the couch now. :blushing:

I went to bed again with muscle relaxers and a heat pack. I woke up, hurting as bad, or maybe worse than before.

I will absolutely try many of the suggestions here.

Ironically, my Physical Therapist doesn't want me to do Yoga without an instructor with special training. My joints allow movement beyond what is good for the muscles. She is worried that it will be very easy for me to hurt myself by overextending my back especially if someone is encouraging me to stretch into various Yoga poses without my muscles being strong enough to hold the weight.

You might want to just watch the aches and pains yoga on Netflix. We didn't get to the end, but the twenty minutes we did was very gentle and non weight-bearing. I think the first 8 minutes was breathing, so do danger theree. Much of it was seated in a chair, so no extreme yoga stuff at all. I did it with my son who has some serious physical limitations due to muscular dystrophy and needs to stretch to relieve the pain of tight, inactive muscles. He didn't try to push or overextend or anything, he just moved in some ways he wouldn't have thought of to relieve stress in the tight parts of his body. I kind of phoned it in and didn't push either, but my sore back and shoulders did feel better. I'm guilty of logging in hours and hours of dance rehearsals without properly stretching at the end, so I tend to pay for it a bit. My son felt less tight afterwards, so we both won without trying too hard.

You might want to just watch the aches and pains yoga on Netflix. We didn't get to the end, but the twenty minutes we did was very gentle and non weight-bearing. I think the first 8 minutes was breathing, so do danger theree. Much of it was seated in a chair, so no extreme yoga stuff at all. I did it with my son who has some serious physical limitations due to muscular dystrophy and needs to stretch to relieve the pain of tight, inactive muscles. He didn't try to push or overextend or anything, he just moved in some ways he wouldn't have thought of to relieve stress in the tight parts of his body. I kind of phoned it in and didn't push either, but my sore back and shoulders did feel better. I'm guilty of logging in hours and hours of dance rehearsals without properly stretching at the end, so I tend to pay for it a bit. My son felt less tight afterwards, so we both won without trying too hard.

That may be worth trying. :)

I have had problems with upper back spasms for many years. In addition to the other advice (and the muscle relaxants), I use Epsom Salt baths. The transdermal magnesium makes a difference. I also roll up a hand towel to put behind the base of my neck so I can really relax and sink deep into the water.