Menu

At what age, did your children chew with their mouths closed!?

My DD6 is driving me batty with all the nasty chewing noises, because she is either trying to carry on a conversation while she has a mouthful of food or she is just chomping along without a care in the world about who can hear her. It completely grosses me out and I feel like she is old enough to do this at least more often than not. Ick.

Well, I can't stand chewing noises, so I probably reminded them more often than most do, but ... my 2yo chews properly. I would say she's perfectly capable at that age.

:iagree:

Mine all do pretty well, and have from the age of 2-3, unless they're excited.

:thumbdown:

Well, I can't stand chewing noises, so I probably reminded them more often than most do, but ... my 2yo chews properly. I would say she's perfectly capable at that age.

I remind her every single time I hear or see her do it. :glare: Probably doesn't help that my DH is the king of talking with food in his mouth.

:thumbdown:

I remind her every single time I hear or see her do it. :glare: Probably doesn't help that my DH is the king of talking with food in his mouth.

That is the real issue. Dad does it, and Dad is awesome, so I can do it too.

It will be pretty much impossible to get her to stop if he does.

That is the real issue. Dad does it, and Dad is awesome, so I can do it too.

It will be pretty much impossible to get her to stop if he does.

:iagree: It could be large adenoids too. My friend has a son who just has his removed, and now he can breathe through his nose, so he chews with his mouth closed finally.

All of my kids have come to us eating like wild animals...literally. Totally not their fault, we understand. We are patient about it at first; but eventually, we put the remembering on them. One reminder then they are sent from the table until they can eat like a human child. It only took once or twice for them to get the point. The only difference is when the 3yo is really congested as he sometimes get. I don't worry about that as he can't really help THAT.

:iagree: It could be large adenoids too. My friend has a son who just has his removed, and now he can breathe through his nose, so he chews with his mouth closed finally.

This is exactly what I was going to say! I literally could NEVER close my mouth when I ate or sleeping!! IT felt as if I was going to suffocate, I don't think I 'realized' it when I was younger, just naturally had to do it to get breath...but at 15 had my very enlarged tonsils taken out along with my adenoids.the doctor was stunned, had never seen the size I had and asked my mom had I not had breathing problems? I remember being able to breathe at night for the first time after that surgery! Amazing change!