Menu

Please allow me to whine! I want to move to Chicago, away from my family

Okay, now having said that, this is only a temp job with the CSO for their summer concert series in Grant Park. They need a temporary music librarian with the skills necessary to help transcribe some parts for violin as well as organize the set-up for the concerts, pull the music and set-up for rehearsals, do some organizing in the library, etc.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WANT THIS JOB!!!! I'm HIGHLY qualified for it and I haven't worked in classical music in a very long time. Well, in 9 years to be exact. I couldn't keep up with it with four children homeschooling and one, that at the time, had a cardiac condition requiring many doctor's visits.

DH did not look amused when I suggested that I'd like to live in some scary, cheap efficiency apartment in Chicago from May through August while he and the boys stayed here.

The youngest child's only response was, "Who is going to grocery shop and cook?" :glare:

Oldest boy followed with, "I suppose I'd have to do the laundry?????" :toetap05:

Some days, I really enjoy and thorougly love the male "primates" living in this house. Other days, I could easily run away to the city...today is one of those days.

Possibly, just possibly, this need may have been exponentially increased by dh announcing to me last night at 11:30 p.m. that "Oh, I forgot to tell you that I have a meeting with X tomorrow and I need a shirt ironed." Dh does not iron. Dh is not capable of ironing. Dh can send rockets practically to the moon and back, create rocket fuel in my kitchen, teach trigonometry to 5th graders so they can plot altitude and basic trajectories of their rockets, teach principles of calculus to our 11 year old, and create intricate robotics projects. BUT THIS MAN CAN NOT IRON A SHIRT TO SAVE HIS LIFE! I suspect some sort of willful ignorance on his part - Stupidity with Intent - but I can't prove it.

Thankfully, I had returned from the dry cleaners earlier in the day with several of his shirts having given up ironing as one of the things I decided I couldn't attend to while working Saturdays at the quilt store and part-time teaching chemistry, tutoring ACT prep, and school guidance counselor as well homeschooling the three boys and taking care of Dh after his accident...thankfully all healed and back to work now.

I love Dh, I love Dh, I love Dh...

Oh, how I could easily go to Chicago today. :D

Rant off....I shall go get a cup of coffee and try to find the content part of my soul which has apparently fled for the time being.

Faith

Hahahaha! I'm trying my best to get out of Chicago! I miss trees. Corn. Farmland. Seeing the horizon and sunsets.

I totally say do it. They can figure things out for a wee bit :lol:.

Except cheap here is going to be at least $800 if you don't want to live in a cruddy neighborhood. You could probably rent a room out though for cheaper.

You guys are awesome!

Dh just called from work, apparently really worried that I would seriously consider doing this and said, "Please don't post on the WTM! They'll just encourage you to do it. Baby, we neeeeeeeeeed you!"

I snorted; I am not certain that he found this reassuring, but I did promise NOT to run out and buy a suit/shoes and Amtrak tickets for the interview. :lol:

Thanks for the roomate offers - in an ideal world, this would be a super great idea. I looked at an apartment, (lost it for a few minutes there and went completely out of my head), that I could rent on the short term. Windmere place or something like that on east 56th. A studio apt. was around $665.00 depending on the floor and amenities. However, it's been a bit since I spent any length of time in Chicago and I'm having trouble placing the area...trying to remember if this was, "You can walk around reasonably without carrying an AK47 :D, or definitely pack some grenades" type of area or something in between.

What I really need to happen is for something to pop up in Detroit. If the DSO would only give me a job!!!!! ;) I could live down there with some friends and dh could see me once in a while though I would still be refusing to iron shirts. I'm not doing that anymore or at least while I feel so grumpy about it! :lol:

Faith - I suppose I should practice for Sunday since I'm supposed to sing. Sigh....this is not the kind of church where I can pull off, "The King of Love My Shepherd is" in Latin and have people feel blessed. :glare: I think the classical in me is needing some nurturing.

You guys are awesome!

Dh just called from work, apparently really worried that I would seriously consider doing this and said, "Please don't post on the WTM! They'll just encourage you to do it. Baby, we neeeeeeeeeed you!"

I snorted; I am not certain that he found this reassuring, but I did promise NOT to run out and buy a suit/shoes and Amtrak tickets for the interview. :lol:

Thanks for the roomate offers - in an ideal world, this would be a super great idea. I looked at an apartment, (lost it for a few minutes there and went completely out of my head), that I could rent on the short term. Windmere place or something like that on east 56th. A studio apt. was around $665.00 depending on the floor and amenities. However, it's been a bit since I spent any length of time in Chicago and I'm having trouble placing the area...trying to remember if this was, "You can walk around reasonably without carrying an AK47 :D, or definitely pack some grenades" type of area or something in between.

What I really need to happen is for something to pop up in Detroit. If the DSO would only give me a job!!!!! ;) I could live down there with some friends and dh could see me once in a while though I would still be refusing to iron shirts. I'm not doing that anymore or at least while I feel so grumpy about it! :lol:

Faith - I suppose I should practice for Sunday since I'm supposed to sing. Sigh....this is not the kind of church where I can pull off, "The King of Love My Shepherd is" in Latin and have people feel blessed. :glare: I think the classical in me is needing some nurturing.

On east 56th??? Thats the hood. Word to the wise: generally speaking, Picture the Sears (Willis Tower) and look North and Northwest of the tower for your apartment.

Oh, take the job. They will all appreciate you more when you get back, and also you will probably finish faster than the assignment says and get back early. Who knows, maybe they will even learn some of the stuff that you do. (When pigs fly and all that)

Besides, it's summer. The kids don't school as much in the summer, right?

Can you do some of this work at home? Perhaps you could arrange to go there for a few days / a week now and then, live in one of those hotel suites when you are there - with room service...:D

I wish...but no, I need to be on site. Not only would I be in charge of physically overseeing the set-up for the concerts, but I literally need to do some organization of the music in the library itself plus meet with the instrumentalists whose parts I'm transcribing. So, no work from home.

I really should practice for church while ds is working on a math test. But, honestly, I have instead, looked at suits and gowns on Nordstrom's website! Silly, silly me ! :lol:

Faith

At that price, I would think you'd need to budget a little extra each month for fresh ammo. :tongue_smilie: $665 sounds suspiciously cheap for any kind of apartment in a large city. I know Chicago is cheaper than New York, but I don't think it's that much cheaper.

Even if you don't really plan to go, keep your dh on his toes for a while anyway. The stress will be good for him. It will make him appreciate you more.

And about the ironing -- he's totally playing you. :D

At that price, I would think you'd need to budget a little extra each month for fresh ammo. :tongue_smilie: $665 sounds suspiciously cheap for any kind of apartment in a large city. I know Chicago is cheaper than New York, but I don't think it's that much cheaper.

Even if you don't really plan to go, keep your dh on his toes for a while anyway. The stress will be good for him. It will make him appreciate you more.

And about the ironing -- he's totally playing you. :D

Oh yeah! He's playing me like a cheap piano! :lol:

Anyway, Carol in IL told me that $665.00 was in the hood, so yes, I'd need to budget for a tank and some ammunition! :biggrinjester:

You are absolutely right...I should keep him on his toes. To that end, I went out to Nordstrom's website and created a shopping cart of 14 items that I'll need to fill out my wardrobe since I'm not keeping that much professional attire around here....dress pants and a sweater are good enough for my current jobs. The total without shipping came to $1755.80. I did not bother to think about prices, I just added what I liked and would be interchangeable with what I currently have plus a couple of evening gowns to go with the two I have. This did not include accessories or shoes, and don't you just know it, I think I need some jewelry for these new pieces plus at least three new pairs of dress shoes. I printed off the order above and placed it on his pillow. Me thinks this might at least be good enough for a new skirt from Kohl's or JcPenney, right????? :D May as well weasel out of him what I can while he stews about it for a few days! :smilielol5:

I am in a very naughty mood today.

Faith

I printed off the order above and placed it on his pillow. Me thinks this might at least be good enough for a new skirt from Kohl's or JcPenney, right????? :D May as well weasel out of him what I can while he stews about it for a few days! :smilielol5:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a plan to me! :D

My dd might have a not-scary and quaint Lincoln Park sublet available this summer :lol:. Tempting?

That is soooooooo tempting!

Oh, and get this...Dh called me and said that if I'd like, he'd stop on the way home and see if the new pair of jeans that I want is in stock at a certain store. :glare: I did not say, "DUDE, What I want is a $2000.00 wardrobe from Nordstrom's and an apartment in the city for three months so I can still pretend I'm a professional musician instead of maid to four male slobs!" No, I did not say that. I just told him in a syrupy sweet voice that unlike men who can pretty much buy their jeans off the rack based on a waist and inseam because THEY HAVE NO CURVES, HIPS, OR BUTTS, that I would need to try on any pants I might be interested in before purchasing them.

Seriously, I love him...I really, really do. But honestly how does one make the leap from your wife wants evening gowns from Nordstroms to jeans from Kohls?????? :confused: Obviously there is a logical disconnect somewhere there as he talks to me while wearing his Ralph Lauren suit and $200.00 wingtip shoes...Maybe, just maybe, I've been wearing lounge pants and flannel shirts around the house for a little too long.

Ooooooo, I know what I should do...put on one of my evening gowns, pull my hair into a quick french twist, and wait at the door for him. I can tell him I need to run into the city for a gig. This ought to garner some immediate attention!!!!!!!!! ;)

Nah...I'd have to put hose on in order to be believable. :lol: However, I can think of a couple of chick flicks he hates and I might just have to be completely absorbed in one when he gets home.

Faith

Seriously, I love him...I really, really do. But honestly how does one make the leap from your wife wants evening gowns from Nordstroms to jeans from Kohls?????? :confused: Obviously there is a logical disconnect somewhere there as he talks to me while wearing his Ralph Lauren suit and $200.00 wingtip shoes...Maybe, just maybe, I've been wearing lounge pants and flannel shirts around the house for a little too long.

I have the opposite problem. My Armani-loving husband is always buying me things that I know I could have gotten cheaper elsewhere and it drives me nuts. ("Honey, it's a plain white t-shirt. It should not have cost $180.00." :glare:)

But he means well, so I guess I can't complain too much. (But I returned the t-shirt. I kept the overpriced trousers and the jacket, but that t-shirt was. not. happening. :tongue_smilie:)

You know, if three or four of us go with her, we could probably get a really nice place.

Not that I'm hinting or anything. ;)

:iagree:I don't know much about the outer areas, but I have a complete map of Michigan Ave. in my head, landmarked by Bloomingdales and Tiffany's, which makes my DH go :001_huh:

You all may be safer going without me...:lol:

Is this the dude that recently was asking for interview suit advice? If so, you clearly need that wardrobe simply to support him in his position. The fact that this also enables you to apply for and perform your new job is merely incidental to that other goal. Either way, clearly you need that wardrobe, and also clearly he needs to see you in something more interesting than jeans from Kohl's.

</end enabler>

Faith,

Forget the scary apartments! We have a nice guest room with a wonderful queen bed. And I'll drive you to the train station every morning so you can take the train to Chicago. :D

(You aren't allergic to cats are you?)

Let me know when to expect you!

(Can you please teach me a little quilting while you are here?) ;)

Edited by oneddmanybooks

Is this the dude that recently was asking for interview suit advice? If so, you clearly need that wardrobe simply to support him in his position. The fact that this also enables you to apply for and perform your new job is merely incidental to that other goal. Either way, clearly you need that wardrobe, and also clearly he needs to see you in something more interesting than jeans from Kohl's.

</end enabler>

Carol! You are a TERRIBLE enabler!!!!!

Oneddmanybooks,

How can I refuse this??????? Dh, begged me NOT to post this opportunity on WTM because there would be FAR too many enablers. I thought he was exaggerating his pain...I guess I was wrong! :lol:

Okay, now I really want the job and in reality, I need to get my feet back on the ground. I've got a rocketry team of six teenagers to take to Virginia in May, college bound high schoolers graduating that month, and I already agreed to work at the quilt store May 18th and 19th because the owner is going to be gone and that is a very busy time in the shop. GRRRRR.....

Oh, and not mention hosting a science fair this summer for 4-H.

Now I really want to whine! I should find some cheese and chocolate to go with it. :glare:

Faith - I really need to embrace reality before I do something crazy, like apply for the position.

Au contraire, I am a GREAT enabler.

And go ahead and apply. This is special. Everything else will fall into place. Besides, now that you have identified that wardrobe, you are going to be able to watch it for the next couple of months and snap things up as they go on sale.

There is no reason in the world that someone else can't do the science fair. Etc.

Besides, if you camped out in the Chicago area for a few months, everyone from your hometown could come down and visit, little by little. You could do guided tours of the Science museum, and classical music concerts; thus proving the essential versatility of the homeschooling professional. You'd be doing it for the overall REPUTATION of homeschoolers everywhere.

Au contraire, I am a GREAT enabler.

And go ahead and apply. This is special. Everything else will fall into place. Besides, now that you have identified that wardrobe, you are going to be able to watch it for the next couple of months and snap things up as they go on sale.

There is no reason in the world that someone else can't do the science fair. Etc.

Besides, if you camped out in the Chicago area for a few months, everyone from your hometown could come down and visit, little by little. You could do guided tours of the Science museum, and classical music concerts; thus proving the essential versatility of the homeschooling professional. You'd be doing it for the overall REPUTATION of homeschoolers everywhere.

I agree! Why not go ahead and apply? Just DO IT!

:party:

One of my old bosses used to tell me, "Don't tell yourself no." So, don't tell yourself no, you can't take this temp job. If the employers or true circumstances wind up telling you no, then fine, deal with it, but at least explore the option. How often do 'perfect' jobs come along? Not too dang often, ime. For hs'ing moms, it's rare indeed.

I think any and all of us should seriously consider it when we are offered the chance at a good, temporary job that will keep our resumes updated. That alone may be worth it, even if you don't make a penny overall.

Males can clean houses (or live in filth, lol). Shirts can be sent out for ironing. People can take planes, trains, and automobiles to visit each other.

I can't remember - how old are your kids?