Menu

Ugh! I just had to make a rule

Dd is becoming as bad as her dad with the TV obsession. She got up and turned on the big TV. I told her we shouldn't be turning it on so early in the morning. I just caught her watching, half hiding, TV on the laptop. :glare:

So I made it a rule. No TV before 5p (when her dad gets home.) We had years and years that the TV was just there during our day. Something has changed recently. Maybe it is time to hit the bookstore again.

I suppose I ought to address the disobedience (I did say no TV this morning, didn't I?) too.

I haven't had enough caffeine to do the mom thing properly. :glare:

Hey at least it is a good rule. The rules I have to create on the spur like that have been things like

"No jumping off the roof"

"Do not try mythbuster's experiements in my kitchen...especially exploding ones"

"Sleds are for outside not the staircase"

It would be my head that exploded if I found mythbuster's experiments in my kitchen this early in the morning. :D

Congrats to you!

Just last night from utter exhaustion from the kids being disobedient I removed the VERY HEAVY TV from the living room.

It is an old school TV. I threw my back out moving it. But no temptation to watch it.

But now.... I cannot watch Grey's Anatomy tonight..... :tongue_smilie:

It would be my head that exploded if I found mythbuster's experiments in my kitchen this early in the morning. :D

I think I posted the story here of the 1 and only day I left my ds13 home with the other kids while I went into work for 2 hours? He got it in his head to test their experiments about exploding cans of beans on the stove. Yeah do you see where I am going with this? I come home after only being gone 2 hours to find my ktichen flooded, the house stinking like smoke and tuna on my ceiling. I tracked down the kids at a friend's place. Apparently ds would put a can on the stove, all 4 would hide in the girls room adn wait for the explosion. They tested beans, soup, tuna(several cans), and canned ham(so glad they blew that one up, I never bought it). Apparently on the last can teh label caught fire, so dd grabbed the removeal handle on the kitchen sink and sprayed it from across the room. Then they opened the windows and left to a friend's place. Never called me at work or on my cell, no note as to where they were I was a wreck when I walked into that.

It took dd and ds hours to clean up ever speck of mess. The tuna hd hit from 1 wall in the kitchen to the other, was on top of the cabinets, on the light fixtures etc. IT flew the most out of all they exploded.

I can laugh about it now, but I was not laughing at the time

Only my kids would need a rule created to make sure they did not do this again.

Rules I never thought I'd hear myself say:

There are NO weapons before school.

and

Only two weapons are allowed in bed with you at night!

Which was then clarified that a double sword, even if it is seperated counts as only one weapon.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm not sure there is ever enough coffee to do the mom thing properly, sometimes I have to switch to wine. :D

:iagree: :lol:

Hey at least it is a good rule. The rules I have to create on the spur like that have been things like

"No jumping off the roof"

"Do not try mythbuster's experiements in my kitchen...especially exploding ones"

"Sleds are for outside not the staircase"

Oh, man!!! So far my boys have not tried mythbuster's experiments in the kitchen.....so far.

And we don't have sleds, but I have had to tell the youngest that he canNOT sled down the stairs on his pillow. Nor down the couch to the floor on his foam shield.

But I did have to make a rule "no riding your bike down the hill while your brother is still in the way!!!"

Parrothead, want to send your DD over to teach them simple disobedience like sneaking TV????? I could use a break, LOL! :D

I think I posted the story here of the 1 and only day I left my ds13 home with the other kids while I went into work for 2 hours? He got it in his head to test their experiments about exploding cans of beans on the stove. Yeah do you see where I am going with this? I come home after only being gone 2 hours to find my ktichen flooded, the house stinking like smoke and tuna on my ceiling. I tracked down the kids at a friend's place. Apparently ds would put a can on the stove, all 4 would hide in the girls room adn wait for the explosion. They tested beans, soup, tuna(several cans), and canned ham(so glad they blew that one up, I never bought it). Apparently on the last can teh label caught fire, so dd grabbed the removeal handle on the kitchen sink and sprayed it from across the room. Then they opened the windows and left to a friend's place. Never called me at work or on my cell, no note as to where they were I was a wreck when I walked into that.

It took dd and ds hours to clean up ever speck of mess. The tuna hd hit from 1 wall in the kitchen to the other, was on top of the cabinets, on the light fixtures etc. IT flew the most out of all they exploded.

Wow!

I think I'm going to go ahead and make the against exploding canned goods just to be certain. :D

:iagree: :lol:

Oh, man!!! So far my boys have not tried mythbuster's experiments in the kitchen.....so far.

And we don't have sleds, but I have had to tell the youngest that he canNOT sled down the stairs on his pillow. Nor down the couch to the floor on his foam shield.

But I did have to make a rule "no riding your bike down the hill while your brother is still in the way!!!"

Parrothead, want to send your DD over to teach them simple disobedience like sneaking TV????? I could use a break, LOL! :D

Now, see here is where I think you are simply a party-pooper. I've let dd slide down the stairs on a variety of "sleds." We had perfect stairs for it in the last house we lived in.

We recently made a rule like this too. Screens were just taking over. Now they can check their email and their blog reader (which is mostly fun educational video stuff) in the morning or use the iPad apps that let them make their own little story books or practice math facts. But that's it. No TV, no DS, no Wii... It had not been a problem before. They had gotten up, watched something or played something before I was up, then turned it off. Suddenly it was experiencing creep into the day all the time so we had to make a rule not before about 4:30 or 5:00.

Now, see here is where I think you are simply a party-pooper. I've let dd slide down the stairs on a variety of "sleds." We had perfect stairs for it in the last house we lived in.

ah, yes, I should clarify. The stairs in question were marble and with a 180* turn from top to bottom (the kind that have a tiny landing midway and then the bottom comes down beside the part that goes up), AND the dog was lying at the bottom step.

Kid was sledding down OVER the dog. I should probably clarify that's what the rule was really about, huh? :)

Well, that and the slamming into the wall as he tried to make that turn..... :lol:

Luckily the current house has no stairs.

I'm pretty lucky in that even though I give my kids free reign with TV and Video games they will turn them off instantly if I ask them too and won't complain about it.

As for the mom that mentioned weapons in bed etc. I recently had to ask my kids to remove all weapons, ammunition, and armor from my dining room table so that we could eat dinner. There were about 5 swords, 1 knife, 3 shields, a helmet or two as well as 3 guns and a copious amount of ammunition. I posted about having an entire nerf arsenal on my table on facebook and my brother asked if they were planning a revolution.

I've also had to tell my youngest who is really into pigs that he may only choose 1 pig to spend the day on his school table. I'm sick of having to move dirty piggy, spikey piggy, Phil, Leonard, Sheldon, Steve, Puffball Piggy and others out of my way when trying to teach.

:svengo::svengo::svengo: And they're still alive?!!!!!!!! :lol:

I'm pretty lucky in that even though I give my kids free reign with TV and Video games they will turn them off instantly if I ask them too and won't complain about it.

As for the mom that mentioned weapons in bed etc. I recently had to ask my kids to remove all weapons, ammunition, and armor from my dining room table so that we could eat dinner. There were about 5 swords, 1 knife, 3 shields, a helmet or two as well as 3 guns and a copious amount of ammunition. I posted about having an entire nerf arsenal on my table on facebook and my brother asked if they were planning a revolution.

I've also had to tell my youngest who is really into pigs that he may only choose 1 pig to spend the day on his school table. I'm sick of having to move dirty piggy, spikey piggy, Phil, Leonard, Sheldon, Steve, Puffball Piggy and others out of my way when trying to teach.

If you want to make his day, get him the game Pass the Pigs and play it during a school break. Make him the scorekeeper as it's great for math practice. :)

This is so funny! Everytime we watch mythbusters, I make it clear to the kids that these are not experiments to try at home.

Rules I never thought I'd hear myself say:

There are NO weapons before school.

and

Only two weapons are allowed in bed with you at night!

Which was then clarified that a double sword, even if it is seperated counts as only one weapon.

But sometimes it goes to far...now I don't allow them in the house. Biggest weapons in the house are made by Playmobil.

Hrms.

I wonder if the 13 year old wanted to make sure you NEVER left him to babysit the kids again?

:lol: Well not only has he not been left with the others since then he has not been left on his own either for any reason, not even if I just go the 1 block up to get the mail, he goes with me now. Not going to take that chance again anytime soon.

Has she read Fahrenheit 451? Ds used to want the TV on for noise and he'd watch after school. We read F-451 and he stopped, period. I think it was seeing how insipid trying to befriend a screen was that he just quit. (I fully appreciate the irony of spending hours on this forum, but y'all are REAL people).Even now, like 4 years later, he hardly watches any TV. Now he'll stay on the computer and watch game walkthroughs on youtube for hours, but he has not one single show he watches, and I never said a thing to him, but it was right after we read that book. Okay Star Trek might be an exception, but those aren't even on right now.

Dh, otoh, :glare: We wouldn't have cable if it were my choice.

I found out yesterday that I SHOULD have had a rule a few years ago--the rule that we do not sneak into the neighbor's pasture and RIDE THE BUCKING STOCK! Yes, the horses that the cowboys ride in the rodeo! Yes, most of them are actually broken to ride and usually won't buck unless they have a flank strap on them, but WHAT would possess two normally sane children to do this? And one of them was barefoot to boot! (She was always barefoot at that age). And why would you think that putting on a riding helmet would make it alright????

No wonder I have gray hair...

:lol::lol::lol:

This is something my dc would do!

I found out yesterday that I SHOULD have had a rule a few years ago--the rule that we do not sneak into the neighbor's pasture and RIDE THE BUCKING STOCK! Yes, the horses that the cowboys ride in the rodeo! Yes, most of them are actually broken to ride and usually won't buck unless they have a flank strap on them, but WHAT would possess two normally sane children to do this? And one of them was barefoot to boot! (She was always barefoot at that age). And why would you think that putting on a riding helmet would make it alright????

No wonder I have gray hair...

We had to create a rule that you do NOT go into farmers field's and ride the horses bareback without permission and direct supervision. There is a farm right behind the school in town with a couple of horses. The kdis were fasinated by them when we moved here, so the the farmer let them come into the field and see them up close and let each climb up onto the shetland pony for a moment. The kids took that to mean they could do it whenever they wanted, and dd attempted to climb up on one of the bigger horses to ride bareback. They are no longer allowed in any farmer's fields without me as a result. Seriously I do not recall doing such stupid things as a kid.