Menu

Did Anyone Catch Oprah's Next Chapter about Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn?

I watched both parts. I thought it was excellent. I have a much better understanding of the culture and committment to faith that Hasidics hold. The family she visited was adorable, and the women she spoke with in Part II were just lovely.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else watched it, since I know the topic of Hasidism (sp?) has come up here previously. Here's a link:

http://www.oprah.com/own-oprahs-next-chapter/First-Look-Oprahs-Next-Chapter-Hasidic-Jews-of-Brooklyn-Part-1

astrid

Nobody saw it?

Didn't see it....but I grew up with them. I grew up orthodox Jewish....the Hasidim, were...well....different than us. Lovely people, family oriented...but totally different theology. Now, I have to watch this...btw, my son is now living there....lol. Life is strange sometimes.

Faithe

Um, I don't know? If it mentioned, I didn't catch it (major sinus infection, had to resort to meds, which hit. me. hard.)

The men wore tall black hats, women conservatively dressed with wigs. However, there were other men on the streets and in wedding scenes with very large, round, furry brown hats. So they seemed different.

I still don't understand the wig concept. I mean if a woman's hair is seen as arousing/seductive to a man and only meant for her husband's eyes, why the flirty, tousled wigs? Those wigs looked GREAT! Even Oprah, who I'm certain has see a lot of pretty well-done wigs in her time, remarked that they were the best looking wigs she'd ever seen.

Interesting.

astrid

I saw it and I really enjoyed it. I have always been very intrigued by their culture. I appreciate that they allowed access into their lives. I have many questions and was up all night trying to find Jewish women blogs who could explain more about their lives. For instance they mentioned that they women are more likely to be the breadwinners so that the husbands are able to study the Torah, so I am wondering how do they run a home with many children AND work outside the home. Do they hire help? I also wanted to know more about the African American family that she interviewed on sunday. I have sooo many questions.

Just a FYI...the Chasidim are not like your everyday, run of the mill, Jewish American family. They are a sect, if you would, and live quite differently from main stream or even orthodox Jews...

To watch the Lubavitcher or other Chasidim and liken them to mainstream Judaism, would be very akin to saying Jehovah Witnesses or LDS are examples of mainstream Christianity. Where I can see those particular groups calling themselves Christian, they certainly have their own branch:001_smile:.....same with the Chasidim...where they are definitely Jewish, their lifestyle, theology and religious ceremony are quite different from mainstream or Orthodox Judaism.

Faithe....

Um, I don't know? If it mentioned, I didn't catch it (major sinus infection, had to resort to meds, which hit. me. hard.)

The men wore tall black hats, women conservatively dressed with wigs. However, there were other men on the streets and in wedding scenes with very large, round, furry brown hats. So they seemed different.

I still don't understand the wig concept. I mean if a woman's hair is seen as arousing/seductive to a man and only meant for her husband's eyes, why the flirty, tousled wigs? Those wigs looked GREAT! Even Oprah, who I'm certain has see a lot of pretty well-done wigs in her time, remarked that they were the best looking wigs she'd ever seen.

Interesting.

astrid

Wig concept......Letter of the law vs. Spirit of the law.

Yes, they have beautiful wigs...some shave their heads....the spirit of the Law was modesty...the Letter says head covering.

The fur hats are called "Shtreimels." Chabadniks (members of the Chabad-Lubavitch Hasidic sect) do not, to the best of my knowledge, wear Shtreimels (except for some in Jerusalem).

The reasons are complex and get into some "inside baseball" but most importantly include following the example of their late Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson who wore a black fedora.

Bill

I still don't understand the wig concept. I mean if a woman's hair is seen as arousing/seductive to a man and only meant for her husband's eyes, why the flirty, tousled wigs? Those wigs looked GREAT!

I read on a website about Orthodox Judaism that scarves etc can come off, and there is something inherantly exciting about her hair so a wig is more modest. Apparently some groups have stopped promoting wigs though since it was revealed almost all the human hair wigs' hair comes from Hindu rituals.

(I will try to find the website.)

The fur hats are called "Shtreimels." Chabadniks (members of the Chabad-Lubavitch Hasidic sect) do not, to the best of my knowledge, wear Shtreimels (except for some in Jerusalem).

The reasons are complex and get into some "inside baseball" but most importantly include following the example of their late Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson who wore a black fedora.

Bill

Yep. We have a large community here. Dh says if he were ever to become observant he would like to hang with them due to the gangsta hats. :lol: That said, in all seriousness, they have been wonderful to the local Russian community here in ways that the reform have not...With regard to spirit and letter of the law particularly. The Lubavitchers behave in a loving gentle manner and make no overt attempt to convert those raised as atheists. The reform are" once a years" who felt good about themselves for throwing a crumb to those from behind the gates of November. I know far more than I will ever say. That should speak volumes to those that know me here.

Interesting.

I met a Hassidic Rebbie eek I'm thinking that is spelled wrong, many years ago at a Religious Preforming arts program.

He was a very kind man who really took time with me as I was working on a skit for a Christmas program as I was able to ask him questions about that time, it helped so much.

He also led a worship service that was unlike anything I'd ever done before very moving.

I think of him often and wonder how he is doing.

I'll have to look for this program

I caught part one and need to find part two.

Oprah does look tired, and she's so phoning it in and repeating herself. Why does she keeping trudging on if she's not that excited about her work?

Frankly, I'm a huge sucker for "documentaries" about ultraconservative sects (and/or the Duggars) as I become increasingly domestically/familialy conservative in my old age. Of course, my conservative is still ragingly liberal on the overall scale, but it's a shift for me at least!

Did you guys see Oprah's episode about the FLDS group in Texas? This reminded me of that, and for that matter, a lot of the ideas espoused seemed to be similar to what the Amish say about technology.

Honestly, I think it's quite lovely and I appreciate the historicism of this faith.

FWIW, my favorite translator of traditional Judaism is not Oprah but Jew in the City. She does great videos and writes a blog column.

I read on a website about Orthodox Judaism that scarves etc can come off, and there is something inherantly exciting about her hair so a wig is more modest. Apparently some groups have stopped promoting wigs though since it was revealed almost all the human hair wigs' hair comes from Hindu rituals.

I believe it. We have a HUGE temple in South India where most people who visit have their heads shaved as part of the visit. I have often wondered at the vast quantity of hair that must be donated. I know the temple sells the hair to raise money (this temple is rumored to be the richest religious site in the world...surpassing the Vatican even.)

Actually, there are many headcoverings that are quite secure, so that's not a worry. Wigs have to have a hechscher (rabbinic certification) saying that they are kosher, and wigs from India are generally not considered kosher.

I also wanted to add on part one she met with a family and they had NEVER,EVER watched television! I was blown away by that. I love that! My children have VERY, VERY limited media access but sometimes I wonder if I should just stop it all together.

We visited extended family, and my children asked what those parts in between the show were. I told them it was called a "commercial." :lol: We don't watch tv, but we do have dvds that we watch at home. They had never seen a commercial before.

I believe it. We have a HUGE temple in South India where most people who visit have their heads shaved as part of the visit. I have often wondered at the vast quantity of hair that must be donated. I know the temple sells the hair to raise money (this temple is rumored to be the richest religious site in the world...surpassing the Vatican even.)

In Chris Rock's documentary /commentary on black hair called Good Hair, he also traveled there to see the shaving and what happens next, all the way to when it gets on mostly black women's head as weaves. Anotherreason that the guilt trip various moths on this board have described their longhaired daughters getting for not donating their hair to locks of love is ridiculous. The hair that's desired is long, thick, dark Indian hair. It commands the highest price.

Wig concept......Letter of the law vs. Spirit of the law.

Yes, they have beautiful wigs...some shave their heads....the spirit of the Law was modesty...the Letter says head covering.

All these years I've thought that the shaving of the heads and wigs was more for sanitary purposes - well the original intent anyway. I've been taught that it's because of the Laws in the Old Testament - many of which were set up out of health concerns and that shaving the head was about that rather than modesty. But now that I think about it, the men don't shave their heads ... So I've been wrong in my assumption? No TV connection, but I would have liked to have seen those programs.

I was skeptical about the show, and was pleasantly surprised to find it a very respectful, lovely piece that captured the spirit of how we live our lives.

I"m glad you weighed in with your thoughts. As I was watching it, *I* thought it was respectfully done, and I just loved the family she profiled, but I did wonder whether others in their community/belief circle would find it so. I'm glad you didn't see it as intrusive or disrespectful.

astrid

I had a question regarding the wigs as a hair covering. In the special the woman said they wore the wigs to cover their own hair, because hair was seen as something sexual or sensual. But, doesn't it defeat the purpose of wearing a wig, because then you are wearing someone else's hair which is still kinda sensual? I wonder if it is also about blending into society, and bringing less attention to themselves.

I cover my hair for religious purposes, but I usually wrap up my scarves in a African/ African-American style, mostly because I want to celebrate my own heritage and sometimes because I would rather limit the negative attention that is given to Muslim women when draping their scarves.

Edited by UmmiSays

I had a question regarding the wigs as a hair covering. In the special the woman said they wore the wigs to cover their own hair, because hair was seen as something sexual or sensual. But, doesn't it defeat the purpose of wearing a wig, because then you are wearing someone else's hair which is still kinda sensual? I wonder if it is also about blending into society, and bringing less attention to themselves.

I cover my hair for religious, but I usually wrap up my scarves in a African/ African-American style, mostly because I want to celebrate my own heritage and sometimes because I would rather limit the negative attention that is given Muslim women when draping their scarves.

As a wig (and scarf and hat) wearer the idea is that you can be attractive but not attracting. With a wig, you whip/flip it around, but you can never run your fingers through it like you would real hair. It looks good to the outside world, but you are very conscious it is wig every second of the day. To those of us in the know, you know (almost always, I've only been fooled once in my life) when a woman is wearing a wig. The Lubavitcher Rebbe (the spiritual leader of the people Oprah spoke to) asked women to wear wigs above and beyond all over head/haircoverings to make them feel good about themselves (when I wear a wig it is somewhat more liberating that wearing even a pretty scarf).

She's from Chicago -- if she were from NYC that would be a different matter. Chicago's Chabad community is sizeable but in the Loop they only have a smallish synagogue.

But the Rebbe (Menachem Mendel Schneerson) was an internationally known figure. Knowing who he was seems like a part of common knowledge, and he was at least a figure I'd suspect a producer would fill her in on if she was doing a story involving Chabad-Lubavitch.

Strikes me a strange.

Bill

As a wig (and scarf and hat) wearer the idea is that you can be attractive but not attracting. With a wig, you whip/flip it around, but you can never run your fingers through it like you would real hair. It looks good to the outside world, but you are very conscious it is wig every second of the day. To those of us in the know, you know (almost always, I've only been fooled once in my life) when a woman is wearing a wig. The Lubavitcher Rebbe (the spiritual leader of the people Oprah spoke to) asked women to wear wigs above and beyond all over head/haircoverings to make them feel good about themselves (when I wear a wig it is somewhat more liberating that wearing even a pretty scarf).

Thanks for your insight. I have another question, if it's ok. The women also explain the reasoning behind no physical touching with the addition to seven days. I once saw a documentary about this, and the woman there was seeking cousel about the hardship that comes with. She stated that additional days had been added by a Rabbi and it was not an original command. She noted that some great women in Jewish history had not been mothers and she always wondered if this had something to do with it. I too wondered if the seven additional days effect the possible fertility (ovulation) of some Jewish women that observe this practice.

Also is there no physical contact during the post partum bleeding as well?

Thanks for your insight. I have another question, if it's ok. The women also explain the reasoning behind no physical touching with the addition to seven days. I once saw a documentary about this, and the woman there was seeking cousel about the hardship that comes with. She stated that additional days had been added by a Rabbi and it was not an original command. She noted that some great women in Jewish history had not been mothers and she always wondered if this had something to do with it. I too wondered if the seven additional days effect the possible fertility (ovulation) of some Jewish women that observe this practice.

Also is there no physical contact during the post partum bleeding as well?

That's interesting -- there is a documentary about the Family Purity laws!?!

The original separation was for the days of menstruation. Up until the time of the Roman Empire, the rabbis and even ordinary people could tell the differences between menstrual "uncleanliness" and another form of ritual impurity that kept a woman from being able to go the Temple in Jerusalem. That knowledge (in addition to a lot of ritual purity laws) got lost during the tumultuous Roman exile times and so the women (not the Rabbis) actually decided to make a stringency for themselves to keep an extra week to make sure that when they immersed in the mikvah (body of special water) they would not in question about their body's status.

As for fertility, the minimum time a woman abstains from sex (and the other laws/customs that go along with this time) is 12 days (5 minimum for menstruation and the seven additional days, 11 in some customs). If one's body is on that approximate 28-30 day cycle, you immerse and then have relations somewhere around your fertile period. If a woman's cycle is much different that that, there can be issues with fertility. The rabbis care about women (and their husbands) ability to have a family, so in those cases have some work-arounds (varying on the situation and rabbi).

As to its difficulty, some love it because you get a waxing and waning aspect to the sexual part of the relationship (like a honeymoon every month, it is likened to), some hate being apart and not being able to get benign hugs and kisses. I've gone both ways at different periods of my life.

Yes, the same laws are in place during post-partum (or any bleeding that emanates from the uterus) bleeding.

Whew! Hope I covered it all!

Edited by YaelAldrich

That's interesting -- there is a documentary about the Family Purity laws!?!

The original separation was for the days of menstruation. Up until the time of the Roman Empire, the rabbis and even ordinary people could tell the differences between menstrual "uncleanliness" and another form of ritual impurity that kept a woman from being able to go the Temple in Jerusalem. That knowledge (in addition to a lot of ritual purity laws) got lost during the tumultuous Roman exile times and so the women (not the Rabbis) actually decided to make a stringency for themselves to keep an extra week to make sure that when they immersed in the mikvah (body of special water) they would not in question about their body's status.

As for fertility, the minimum time a woman abstains from sex (and the other laws/customs that go along with this time) is 12 days (5 minimum for menstruation and the seven additional days). If one's body is on that approximate 28-30 day cycle, you immerse and then have relations somewhere around your fertile period. If a woman's cycle is much different that that, there can be issues with fertility. The rabbis care about women (and their husbands) ability to have a family, so in those cases have some work-arounds (varying on the situation and rabbi).

As to its difficulty, some love it because you get a waxing and waning aspect to the sexual part of the relationship (like a honeymoon every month, it is likened to), some hate being apart and not being able to get benign hugs and kisses. I've gone both ways at different periods of my life.

Yes, the same laws are in place during post-partum (or any bleeding that emanates from the uterus) bleeding.

Whew! Hope I covered it all!

Thank you Yael!

I really appreciate this. I love learning more about this religious community. In Islam, you are not allowed to have relations with your spouse while she is on her cycle, so I kinda(a little bit) related but kept thinking the additional days could be a hinderance to fertility. So thank you again for explaining that.

Ok, I have one more :D. In the last discussion on Judaism you mentioned all the food you cook for shabat? Does the food you listed have a religious significance and how long does it take you to prepare all of that. I mean, it was like a feast you were preparing. Is this for every Friday?

I was more than a little surprised that Oprah didn't recognize the Lubavitcher Rebbe ("Who's that guy?"). Was that for real???

Oprah is very charming in her own way, but I would never expect her to knw the Lubavitcher Rebbe. Seriously, Bill. You're expecting too much. She's in a different world from that.

I wouldn't recognize him either. I think. Off to find his photo. Nope. Don't recognize him. Sorry to admit my ignorance. I have actually heard of him, at least.

Edited by stripe

Thank you Yael!

I really appreciate this. I love learning more about this religious community. In Islam, you are not allowed to have relations with your spouse while she is on her cycle, so I kinda(a little bit) related but kept thinking the additional days could be a hinderance to fertility. So thank you again for explaining that.

Ok, I have one more :D. In the last discussion on Judaism you mentioned all the food you cook for shabat? Does the food you listed have a religious significance and how long does it take you to prepare all of that. I mean, it was like a feast you were preparing. Is this for every Friday?

OK! Here's your answer! The challahs (what everyone knows as eggy braided breads, although they don't have to be, you can use any whole piece of bread, some people use pita or matzoh) are religiously important. There were 12 "shewbreads" in the Temple/Tabernacle that were made from the oil and flour sacrifices people gave, baked and kept in the holy area every week. The word challah actually is a blob of that shewbread that was separated and given to the Cohanim (the priestly class, who has no ancestral lands given to them by Joshua, every other tribe has a parcel of land given to them, so this was part of the compensation given to the Cohanim along with parts of the meat sacrifices and first fruits)

The challah of today (if you make enough) also has a blob of it separated and now burnt to render it unusable since we have no Cohanim in ritual purity (see that ritual purity stuff still has a place in Judaism). It is a remembrance of the original "challah". Judaism is chock full of this kind of thing.

We have two whole pieces at each of the three Shabbos meals (Sabbath Friday at sundown to Saturday approximately one hour after sundown) to remember the double portion of manna that G-d sent to the Jews while they wandered the aisles of WalMart, I mean, Egypt/Jordan. We cover the challahs with a cloth and under it is the fancy Shabbos table cloth like the dew that fell on the manna.

Why egg bread? It is rich and sweet (the Middle Eastern derived Jews don't do the eggs and sugar, they follow slightly different ideas of what can classified as bread) like our Sabbath is to us.

OK, now on grape juice/wine. We say a remembrance (you'll hear this word a LOT from me) about how G-d redeemed us from Egypt and about how G-d created the world and then "rested" on the seventh day, then the standard blessing over the grape product. The juice/wine must be kosher (as all of our food must be).

The other foods mostly come from where your family came from/with whom you hang out. Fish is common food because it stands for the special fish meal that we believe that we will eat in the world to come (way too complicated to talk about here) and there is a famous story about the length a person went to have fish for Shabbos (Yosef Mokir Shabbos). Meat/Chicken we have (if we aren't vegans/vegetarians) because there is the idea of Oneg Shabbos (enjoying the Shabbos) and nothing's better than gnawing on a steak bone! :lol:

The cholent, hamin, or dafina that is customary (but not obligatory) is for the idea that we are to have a hot meal on Shabbos day. How is that since we do not cook, bake, turn on gas/electric on Shabbos? We keep the meal cooking from before Shabbos until the lunchtime meal. We eat a hot meal for Oneg Shabbos and to differentiate ourselves from the Kariates who followed the Written Law (i.e., Bible) but not Rabbinic law (Talmud, Mishnah and other rabbinic writings).

Last but not least, we eat a third meal even though we've eaten ourselves silly from Friday night onward because we love to continue the dinner party/Shabbos (so to speak) with G-d as long as we can.

Some people have a Meleva d'Malka after Shabbos is over to keep the party going!!

Oh, it can take as quick as a couple of hours (but I wouldn't have THAT much food made), but a Shabbos like that one -- a little done on Thursday night, like the challah and some desserts, the rest made on Friday for fresheness. But I've been doing this for almost 20 years so I have it down to a science.